Author Topic: Eagle something-something F&F—but check this layout!  (Read 3905 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Eagle something-something F&F—but check this layout!
« on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 23:31:31 »
Eagle Computer Keyboard FT02 2554-01 8-83 Vintage Retro *Mechanical / Clicky*

It's a foam-'n'-foil board, so I know that limits some interest right there. But it looks like it may be NOS, and it's only $54.99 shipped—and check out this layout! (zoom in fully for maximum awe):

Woo hoo! Don't you love how the F-keys continue below the number pad? And how have we been getting by without an Enhance key?

Anyway, I'm just saying.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Eagle something-something F&F—but check this layout!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 23:35:13 »
Oh, and the big retro SA-style alpha legends are cool, aren't they?

In the closeups, the text legends look shiny, like they're pad-printed. Would they have been doing that back then, though? And don't all the others look double-shot? Would they have used both print methods on one board? Whaddaya think? Should I wear brown shoes with a blue suit? As you can see, I have many questions.

I'm really, really tempted to buy this just to keep it out somewhere and gawk at it as I walk by. [exercising tremendous maturity]
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 September 2018, 23:37:33 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 23:36:42 »
what is going on with that arrow cluster... is that a left arrow under a function layer or a backspace only?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 23:38:54 »
what is going on with that arrow cluster... is that a left arrow under a function layer or a backspace only?

I'd guess it's just a Backspace (which usually have left-pointing arrows on them). So, only Right and Down arrow keys, too... This was obviously a special keyboard for people who never needed to go back and edit.  :?)

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 07:20:35 »
I was looking at this as well. I have something similar already but these boards are built like tanks. Also F&F has a bad reputation. Bad F&F is like the worst switch ever but good F&F is a decent linear switch.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 07:56:58 »

I'd guess it's just a Backspace (which usually have left-pointing arrows on them). So, only Right and Down arrow keys, too... This was obviously a special keyboard for people who never needed to go back and edit.  :?)
Pretty sure there's an up arrow hiding in the shine, though left is most used and that's on a layer if it's there at all so still strange.

I dislike huge blocks of keys without spaces but the bendy ends and general randomness make this one look good.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JP

About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 03:34:23 »
I was looking at this as well. I have something similar already but these boards are built like tanks...

And then there's that layout!  :?O

I dislike huge blocks of keys without spaces...

Then I suggest you stay away from The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T., the 1953 Dr. Seuss movie featuring a piano so big it takes 500 kids to play it.

I knew I recognized that keyboard. Here is another like it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Computer-Keyboard-FT01-2554-51-7-83-Vintage-Retro-Mechanical-Clicky/302863288143?hash=item46840f074f:g:ke0AAOSwdZdbhyhO

Yep, Key Tronic Foam & Foil, all right. Confirming this has briefly given me a sense of purpose.