Author Topic: [GB][FINISHED] Plates, PCBs and stabilisers - LeandreN Round 3  (Read 191566 times)

Offline jaesen

• holy ****, this hobby is expensive
Re: [GB][OPEN] Plates, PCBs and stabilisers - LeandreN Round 3
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 01:43:59 »
Just before I order, and I know this question is pretty stupid but can I use plate mounted switches with this plate? I used plated mounted switches on my winkeyless 'plate' and some of  the long keys (and even some of the 1u) went on crookedly because the switches for the long buttons just sit on the PCB, not on the plate. I hope this is similar to the poker 2 plate where everything just fits perfectly so there is no room for switch to move. I just want to confirm that the switches sit snug on this plate so no crookedness can occur.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to joining this GB :)
KBD8x mkii | Duck Orion v2.5 | Satisfaction 75 | IRON165 | Aurora Input Series 65 | Vega | LZ Phase

Wishlist: Constellation

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 01:53:23 »
Just before I order, and I know this question is pretty stupid but can I use plate mounted switches with this plate? I used plated mounted switches on my winkeyless 'plate' and some of  the long keys (and even some of the 1u) went on crookedly because the switches for the long buttons just sit on the PCB, not on the plate. I hope this is similar to the poker 2 plate where everything just fits perfectly so there is no room for switch to move. I just want to confirm that the switches sit snug on this plate so no crookedness can occur.

Yes you can use plate mounted switches

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 01:58:33 »

I can tell you from my own experience with this plate, for the switches that have a bigger opening in the plate you are better off with some PCB mounted switches. They will sit better and you won't get crooked switches. Because of the way the plate is designed to accommodate as many layouts as possible this can not be avoided. The Poker plate lets you use only one layout.
But this is only a minor drawback considering the quality of the plate and layout flexibility, not to mention the fact that you can open switch tops.   
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 11:37:37 »
Heyo!

4 days left !

Time to get your friends on this, the more, the better :)

LeandreN

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 11:56:26 »
Can I add a second PCB w/ soldering and double my switches and stabs qty from whatever it was I ordered? I really like PCB mount now, but I also want one with plate because metal shiny and purple.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 12:33:18 »
Can I add a second PCB w/ soldering and double my switches and stabs qty from whatever it was I ordered? I really like PCB mount now, but I also want one with plate because metal shiny and purple.

Sure ! I added.

Offline chancellorr

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 13:42:29 »
Trying to decide on a silver or purple plate. Going to be pairing it with JTK debut.

Offline ika

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 13:47:16 »
Trying to decide on a silver or purple plate. Going to be pairing it with JTK debut.

I have both the purple plate and JTK. Unfortunately Leandren's purple plate is a brighter purple than the understated purple of JTK debut. The plate is more like a fuschia color compared to the grape of JTK.

http://i.imgur.com/YON1ThV.jpg
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 November 2015, 13:51:13 by ika »

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 13:54:05 »
As IKA said, the plate i have have a cooler purple than the JTK set. Nothing that prevents them from matching OK, though.

Offline chancellorr

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 13:57:04 »

I have both the purple plate and JTK. Unfortunately Leandren's purple plate is a brighter purple than the understated purple of JTK debut. The plate is more like a fuschia color compared to the grape of JTK.

http://i.imgur.com/YON1ThV.jpg

As IKA said, the plate i have have a cooler purple than the JTK set. Nothing that prevents them from matching OK, though.
Thank you guys. I'll probably go with silver then.

Offline Evil-Jester

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 21:52:40 »
so im getting interesting in making my own 60% so let me get this straight, i would need the PCB with RBG and soldering plus stabilizers. Then add a case, say a GON Skinny 60%, cable and add switches/keys of my choice and i would be good?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 03:03:48 »
so im getting interesting in making my own 60% so let me get this straight, i would need the PCB with RBG and soldering plus stabilizers. Then add a case, say a GON Skinny 60%, cable and add switches/keys of my choice and i would be good?
And a plate, of course.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Stabilized

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 03:06:01 »
And a plate, of course.

Wouldn't need a plate with the Gon skinny case.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 03:11:27 »
And a plate, of course.

Wouldn't need a plate with the Gon skinny case.

Show Image

Oops, my bad, I didn't check what the case looked like.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Vimto

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 06:47:25 »
Fairly new to GeekHack, but have owned 2 HHKB Pro2 keyboards for > 5 years, and just bought hasu's alt keyboard controller which is awesome.

I'm thinking it would be quite fun to build my own keyboard and have a few questions, apologies in advance for any stupid questions

Would this pack be a good one to start for my first keyboard?
How tough will the soldering be? (I've never soldered anything before)
Do i need to do any soldering other than the switches onto the PCB?

The carbon fiber plate looks awesome and definitely want that.
Can anyone recommend any cases (preferably aluminium or metal of some sort that would fit this)?

Would i need to buy anything else other than a case / cable?

« Last Edit: Thu, 26 November 2015, 06:50:55 by Vimto »

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline Stabilized

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 06:56:03 »
Fairly new to GeekHack, but have owned 2 HHKB Pro2 keyboards for > 5 years, and just bought hasu's alt keyboard controller which is awesome.

I'm thinking it would be quite fun to build my own keyboard and have a few questions, apologies in advance for any stupid questions

Can anyone recommend any cases (preferably aluminium or metal of some sort that would fit this)?

If you get a PCB with all the main soldering done, soldering of just the switches is easy. They have big pins and big pads to solder to.

There are loads of cases for 60% keyboards, really depends on what you want. There are low profile ones like the Tex CNC aluminium one, there are thicker/deeper ones like the Hammer style one, and there are these flat ones with removable weights at the back (similar to the LZ case style I think?).
There are a lot more to choose from as well, the 60% design has many different case options.

For things to buy: you need a PCB, (optional) plate, key-switches, case, keycaps, stabilizers, and a cable.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 November 2015, 06:59:42 by Stabilized »

Offline Vimto

« Reply #166 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 07:42:21 »

If you get a PCB with all the main soldering done, soldering of just the switches is easy. They have big pins and big pads to solder to.

There are loads of cases for 60% keyboards, really depends on what you want. There are low profile ones like the Tex CNC aluminium one, there are thicker/deeper ones like the Hammer style one, and there are these flat ones with removable weights at the back (similar to the LZ case style I think?).
There are a lot more to choose from as well, the 60% design has many different case options.

For things to buy: you need a PCB, (optional) plate, key-switches, case, keycaps, stabilizers, and a cable.

Thanks so much for the quick reply, have to decide on case / keycaps and if the plate is really needed or not (i just love carbon fiber), but not sure how much of it would show.

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 08:32:27 »

Thanks so much for the quick reply, have to decide on case / keycaps and if the plate is really needed or not (i just love carbon fiber), but not sure how much of it would show.

I always tell people that a plate is worth it because it completely changes the feel of the whole keyboard. If you can't afford the carbon fiber one, i suggest going with steel if you want your board really heavy, or aluminium if you are going to carry it around.

Offline Numpy

• The feels man
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 13:53:42 »

I always tell people that a plate is worth it because it completely changes the feel of the whole keyboard. If you can't afford the carbon fiber one, i suggest going with steel if you want your board really heavy, or aluminium if you are going to carry it around.

Does the carbon fiber plate actually feel any different to the aluminium ones or is it jusr an aesthetic change?
Custom 60%: Cherry MX blues with 62g gold springs and PBT Black on Black dyesub keycaps.

Other Keyboards: Deck Hassium Pro (MX Browns), the underated Leopold FC660M (MX Browns)

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 13:58:42 »
Does the carbon fiber plate actually feel any different to the aluminium ones or is it jusr an aesthetic change?

Yes.

Much difference? No.

It makes the switches feel a little "sharper" becuause the carbon fiber is stiffer than aluminium. It is also much less likely to bend when you place it in. Light, solid and sharper is the way i describe it.

Offline ulrik52

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 15:48:53 »
I want in C: if it's still open that is, and i do not want the leds, so the stainless steel plate, and the pre soldered PCB with the stabilizers i think, if the stabilizers are stabilizers for space, shift and enter-esque  keys
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 November 2015, 16:02:23 by ulrik52 »

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #171 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 16:06:59 »
I want in C: if it's still open that is, and i do not want the leds, so the stainless steel plate, and the pre soldered PCB with the stabilizers i think, if the stabilizers are stabilizers for space, shift and enter-esque  keys

Hey !

It is open until sunday. Presoldered PCB will support switch leds as an option later if you choose "tier 2". Stabilisers are as described.

PS: I can solder switches / assemble the board for you if you don't want to do it yourself, but then i need switches, i charge 15$ for that.

Offline kiwi24x

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 16:27:46 »
Oh I see. Do you happen to charge extra for presoldering in-switch LEDs? Or do you just not do it at all? Just wondering...

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 16:32:51 »
Oh I see. Do you happen to charge extra for presoldering in-switch LEDs? Or do you just not do it at all? Just wondering...

I can do that too, but i don't have any LEDs in this GB or in stock.

Offline Numpy

• The feels man
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 19:44:04 »

Hey !

It is open until sunday. Presoldered PCB will support switch leds as an option later if you choose "tier 2". Stabilisers are as described.

PS: I can solder switches / assemble the board for you if you don't want to do it yourself, but then i need switches, i charge 15$ for that.

Does the tier 2 PCB support rgb lighting for switch (front facing) LEDs?
Custom 60%: Cherry MX blues with 62g gold springs and PBT Black on Black dyesub keycaps.

Other Keyboards: Deck Hassium Pro (MX Browns), the underated Leopold FC660M (MX Browns)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #175 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 19:47:49 »

The PCB only has 2 holes/pads for in-switch LEDs, which tells you that it does not support RGB LEDs in-switch. That would typically require 4 holes/pads. I don't know of any hobbyist PCBs which would support those.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Numpy

• The feels man
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 01:54:42 »

The PCB only has 2 holes/pads for in-switch LEDs, which tells you that it does not support RGB LEDs in-switch. That would typically require 4 holes/pads. I don't know of any hobbyist PCBs which would support those.
Cheers,
So you're saying the Tier 3 PCB would not allow for RGB LEDs on the switches and the Tier 2 PCB would still allow for non-RGB LEDs on the switches?
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 November 2015, 01:56:36 by Numpy »

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 02:06:03 »

Cheers,
So you're saying the Tier 3 PCB would not allow for RGB LEDs on the switches and the Tier 2 PCB would still allow for non-RGB LEDs on the switches?
Tier 2 can have normal 1 color LEDs in the switch. Tier 3 can have normal one color LEDs in the switch + RGB underglow.

Offline Numpy

• The feels man
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 03:53:40 »

Cheers,
Tier 2 can have normal 1 color LEDs in the switch. Tier 3 can have normal one color LEDs in the switch + RGB underglow.
Thanks for clarifying, I understand now   ;D

Offline ulrik52

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 05:13:32 »

Hey !

Nah, I want to solder the switches myself, you can't have all the fun :P Do i need to do something else than just replying here to order? Are there different PCB's? i thought there was only one but now i have the impression that there is one which supports in switch leds, and on that doesn't? Is the tier 1 PCB the one in your video with purple switches? (this one:
)

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 05:15:12 »

Hey !

Nah, I want to solder the switches myself, you can't have all the fun :P Do i need to do something else than just replying here to order? Are there different PCB's? i thought there was only one but now i have the impression that there is one which supports in switch leds, and on that doesn't? Is the tier 1 PCB the one in your video with purple switches? (this one:
)

Here is the order form, the PCB in the video would be the same as a Tier 2 PCB.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1neYkvBR47Q5VMC68DaDbBEazjza0fBx5epGJY3z-6fs/viewform

Offline chancellorr

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 08:40:03 »
Placed my order. Just waiting on my invoice. :]

Offline Jumie

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 11:33:36 »
Hi,, I have filled the order form.. Is the invoice will come after order closed or it should be received in an instant?

Offline potatowire

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 15:19:31 »
Hi,, I have filled the order form.. Is the invoice will come after order closed or it should be received in an instant?

Not instantly, and probably near the end or after it closes.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 15:35:50 »
Next week. Early.

Offline f1xedgear

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 17:42:59 »
Can the plate be installed on an existing keyboard without desoldering the switches?

I have a B.face X2 kit already but I can't really wait 8 weeks to put it together.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 17:44:47 »
Can the plate be installed on an existing keyboard without desoldering the switches?

I have a B.face X2 kit already but I can't really wait 8 weeks to put it together.
Nope, I would wait if I were you. Switches are installed into the plate, then soldered to the pcb.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Jumie

« Reply #187 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 20:11:57 »
how many stabilizers do I need for 60% kb? Im afraid I put less than its needed..

Offline Numpy

• The feels man
« Reply #188 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 20:41:05 »
how many stabilizers do I need for 60% kb? Im afraid I put less than its needed..
You only need 1 set.

Offline Jumie

« Reply #189 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 20:48:23 »
You only need 1 set.

aah thanks for that..

Offline f1xedgear

Re: [GB][Taking orders] LeandreN GB round 3 - plates, PCBs and stabilisers.
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:14:09 »
Finished reading the whole thread:

PS: The expected shipping time is reduced from 2 months after invoicing to 1,5 months :)

OP still says 8 weeks, shouldn't that be updated?

Offline f1xedgear

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:48:52 »
Finally decided on a plate plus 100x switches. Not sure what I'll do with the switches yet, but something tells me this B.face won't be my last keyboard :D

Offline Numpy

• The feels man
« Reply #192 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:58:55 »
Is it too late to change my order? I've decided on a different PCB.

Offline Jumie

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 22:09:12 »
Hi Leandren, is it possible to change the order form? or should I make a new one?
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 November 2015, 04:22:10 by Jumie »

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #194 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 22:32:32 »

They're all the same PCB, just parts pre-soldered for you into the higher tiers.

Offline Numpy

• The feels man
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 22:53:04 »

They're all the same PCB, just parts pre-soldered for you into the higher tiers.
Yeah, I understand but I was under the impression that the Tier 3 PCB supported RGB in switch LEDs and I'm not that keen on the underglow so I want to change my order from the Tier 3 PCB to the Tier 2 PCB.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #196 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 05:04:25 »
Yes you can change your orders, just PM me and I will change it for you. Don't submit a new one.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 05:05:34 »
Placed my order. Just waiting on my invoice. :]

Invoice early next week :)

Offline Tachi

« Reply #198 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 07:12:55 »
Do you need people to buy plates and PCBs or are you happy for people to get just stabs and switches?
Really wanting some switches but running low on cash to justify a spare plate since I have one of your round 1 plates sitting waiting for a build!

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #199 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 07:18:45 »
Do you need people to buy plates and PCBs or are you happy for people to get just stabs and switches?
Really wanting some switches but running low on cash to justify a spare plate since I have one of your round 1 plates sitting waiting for a build!
That's fine, especially since you have a round 1 plate :D