Author Topic: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 / GB CONCLUDED  (Read 368684 times)

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

Re: [GB] SKB75 & SKB60 (Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS)
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 16:57:12 »
Ortho plate would be pretty straightforward to design and get cut in addition to existing layouts, I presume?

exactly. so if at least 10 (preferably more) want it then it would be ok. but i'm tired now, will update the form with this option tomorrow.

also I forgot to mention:
you can have an extra plate if you want, just let me know about it in the comment section of the form. price is 30€. if you have already ordered and want an extra plate, just let me know here and i will note it.
someone over at DT asked for the extra plate option, I just hadn't anticipated that. I do use one for testing switches, just screwed longer standoffs on. turns out this is pretty useful to me and I hadn't expected the plate alone to be so solid, I guess this is due to the extra surface area it has on the sides.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 April 2018, 17:07:44 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 17:19:04 »
$50 shipping to the US is pretty much average or even below average for keyboard coming from an independently run international group buy.
keyboards.

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 17:33:25 »
$50 shipping to the US is pretty much average or even below average for keyboard coming from an independently run international group buy.

yes, I think it is. other custom cases are often more expensive to ship due to their higher weight (above 5kg).

if one is OK with it I could also send to the USA uninsured and without tracking by a DHL "Päckchen" for ~16€. at your own risk of course. possible cause the package will weigh less than 2kg.

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 17:40:04 »
What about shipping cost if ordering 2 to the US? Depending on how that works out, I might be in for 2 - one YAS and one standard.

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 17:56:15 »
What about shipping cost if ordering 2 to the US? Depending on how that works out, I might be in for 2 - one YAS and one standard.

2 are still the same ~40€. I could probably fit up to 4 into one package. size isn't a problem. only above 5kg it will be more expensive. the uninsured "päckchen" for ~16€ could maybe juuuust hold 2 (but only two 60, 75 would add up to over 2gk).

bedtime in germany. answer again tomorrow.

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 17:57:59 »
OK great, so ordering 2 means about 40 eur total, 20 eur each.

without tracking, 8eur each, 16eur total.

on DHL website, it's 37Eur to US. Is that correct? Or is it the flat 40?

Offline kim-kim

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 18:04:10 »
oh and also, over at DT someone asked for an ortho plate.

please take a look if you are interested. might happen.

I'm here only for SKB75RE, and yes, it's because many cases don't fit properly.

Maybe you can put this option to the form so we can see whether this option passes the MOQ or not  ;D

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 18:06:19 »
OK great, so ordering 2 means about 40 eur total, 20 eur each.

without tracking, 8eur each, 16eur total.

on DHL website, it's 37Eur to US. Is that correct? Or is it the flat 40?

right. 37€ is correct. i wrote ~40 cause i got to take packaging cost into account.

but I was too tired already. the complete 60% build weighs 1kg. so the parts only are even less of course. so even more would fit into a 40€ package, also more then 2 into the cheaper option.

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 18:08:09 »
oh and also, over at DT someone asked for an ortho plate.

please take a look if you are interested. might happen.

I'm here only for SKB75RE, and yes, it's because many cases don't fit properly.

Maybe you can put this option to the form so we can see whether this option passes the MOQ or not  ;D

yes, I'll do that tomorrow, for now I'm done, goodnight!

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 19:49:04 »
Thanks mate!

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 20:46:39 »
In addition to r/mk and r/mechmarket, don't forget to crosspost to r/mkuk!

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 00:20:59 »
Also, out of all the layouts, the standard DZ60 layout isn’t shown. Which plate would be correct for the “normal” DZ60 layout?

1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25

It looks like plate A says the above layout would fit the GH60 PCB, but no mention of banana split or DZ60 with that layout.

See the standard bottom row here:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1473/3902/files/1_03_abb48769-9486-44bd-a761-7cd39d7e1bda.jpg?v=1498974452

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 04:18:09 »
Also, out of all the layouts, the standard DZ60 layout isn’t shown. Which plate would be correct for the “normal” DZ60 layout?

1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25

It looks like plate A says the above layout would fit the GH60 PCB, but no mention of banana split or DZ60 with that layout.

See the standard bottom row here:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1473/3902/files/1_03_abb48769-9486-44bd-a761-7cd39d7e1bda.jpg?v=1498974452

the mentioned PCBs are just a selection of common options. many more are possible. so yes, for "1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25" you take plate A and that works fine with the banana or DZ60 pcb.

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 04:22:55 »

I already have to manage DT and GH. I'd be very thankful if any of you adds to the post on reddit that Zuology started (or the other two subreddits), until I start an "official" GB post there.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 09:11:53 »

Edit: Just saw over on DT that you said
also regarding the swap-sockets. you can always get shorter standoffs for my SKB case. now the plate is hold by 5mm standoffs wich makes the caps sink in by 2mm. you can just use 4mm standoffs instead or even 3mm and you would certainly have no trouble with swap-socket-PCBs at any angle.

Does that mean we can just swap out the standoffs if we want to individually customize our setups with lower/higher mount with minimal effort (pending clearance from bottom of case)?

I edited this into a previous post, and don't know if it got missed. It sounds like the standoffs can be easily replaced by users with different sizes? I am wondering about how it would feel to mount the plate suspended with o-rings on both sides of the screw/standoff, making it almost like a hybrid gasket mount. To accommodate the extra space needed for the o-rings, I would potentially need shorter standoffs. Anyone tried something like this out before?

I already have to manage DT and GH. I'd be very thankful if any of you adds to the post on reddit that Zuology started (or the other two subreddits), until I start an "official" GB post there.

If anyone wants me to modify/add to the posts I created over on reddit, please PM me there or let me know through here, and I will happily update those posts. Otherwise feel free to comment/hype the GB usual reddit style.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 April 2018, 09:13:39 by Zuology »
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline Anakey

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 09:25:57 »
To accommodate the extra space needed for the o-rings, I would potentially need shorter standoffs. Anyone tried something like this out before?

would you just need longer screws rather then shorter standoffs?

Offline Zuology

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 10:07:09 »
To accommodate the extra space needed for the o-rings, I would potentially need shorter standoffs. Anyone tried something like this out before?

If I wanted to keep same standoffs, plus the extra length needed for o-rings, then yes. However, this would change how deep the plate sits (switches/caps more recessed). I would get a shorter standoff to compensate for o-rings added length, and maintain original plate/switch depth.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 12:42:48 »
GB order link doesn’t work on mobile/Tapatalk ;______;

Offline Zuology

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 12:44:20 »

I believe another poster said that the GB order form link was hidden on mobile. Can you access it directly here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfck00yqTRs9U3AQNxV9sZ21PdrS6qyiWw3ef9NOHr-E72Ofw/viewform?usp=sf_link
More

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 12:48:15 »

I believe another poster said that the GB order form link was hidden on mobile. Can you access it directly here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfck00yqTRs9U3AQNxV9sZ21PdrS6qyiWw3ef9NOHr-E72Ofw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thx man!

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 14:51:24 »
Nice prototype, is there any chance you could record a typing test? I'm curious how the different case design would affect vibration/sound profile.

TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 20:15:56 »

If I wanted to keep same standoffs, plus the extra length needed for o-rings, then yes. However, this would change how deep the plate sits (switches/caps more recessed). I would get a shorter standoff to compensate for o-rings added length, and maintain original plate/switch depth.

first, sorry I had zero time today to keep you updated.
second, thanks to Zuology for helping with the discussion and the posting at reddit.

now the idea with the o-rings. I had thought about this as well but was hesitating to advertise this as optional dampening. I just wasn't sure if it works well. would be really interesting to see if it works well. like zuology mentioned, you would need a shorted standoff (like 4mm instead of the included 5mm) to fit the o-ring in between.

didn't post today cause i out all the time i had into making the third build. lubed gateron black switches with thick pbt caps on (from enjoyPBT). pictures tomorrow. then I'll look into the tapatalk/link problem as well.

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 20:19:31 »
Nice prototype, is there any chance you could record a typing test? I'm curious how the different case design would affect vibration/sound profile.

absolutely! you will get the typing test video as promised. wanted to make the third build first in order to be able to compare mx-silent-blacks against normal mx-blacks. will do it tomorrow or over the weekend.

cause of the third build I didn't had the time to do the ortho-update. that means new renderings, as well, will also happen over the weekend.

AND: we are at exactly 60 orders at the moment.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 April 2018, 20:35:03 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 22:09:11 »

absolutely! you will get the typing test video as promised. wanted to make the third build first in order to be able to compare mx-silent-blacks against normal mx-blacks. will do it tomorrow or over the weekend.

cause of the third build I didn't had the time to do the ortho-update. that means new renderings, as well, will also happen over the weekend.

AND: we are at exactly 60 orders at the moment.

Thanks for the reply take your time the IC is already awesome!

Congrats on the 60!
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Zuology

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 07:14:52 »

second, thanks to Zuology for helping with the discussion and the posting at reddit.

now the idea with the o-rings. I had thought about this as well but was hesitating to advertise this as optional dampening. I just wasn't sure if it works well. would be really interesting to see if it works well. like zuology mentioned, you would need a shorted standoff (like 4mm instead of the included 5mm) to fit the o-ring in between.

Happy to help, it's a good project that more people need to know about! Any breakdown on order quantities/MOQ for each case? I'm hopeful that you've already hit the 10/each minimum that you mentioned. I'm sure once you put up your official full GB post on rmk/reddit it will keep those numbers climbing. Between the two threads I posted over there, I saw at least 10 responses saying they were in for 1-2 each.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 April 2018, 07:20:44 by Zuology »
More

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 08:30:28 »

Offline thokir

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 08:33:28 »
3rd build

****, I was looking forward to seeing a wkl build. rip.

Looks very nice though, I hope the wkl one will look as good as I hope it to do.
Seems like this GB is gonna get quite some orders in :)

Offline Data

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 08:50:27 »

Offline realxmlforce

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 09:10:08 »
3rd build

About the second picture:
Is that about lubing the stems and the springs? The zip-bag looks like there is also lube in there.

Offline thokir

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 09:12:47 »

Is that about lubing the stems and the springs? The zip-bag looks like there is also lube in there.
Yes, it is.
That's the easiest and most effective way to do it.

Offline realxmlforce

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 09:21:16 »

Yes, it is.

Ok TIL :D
Last time i used a brush...this seems indeed a lot easier!
Thanks.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 20:07:22 »

Just saw on Top Clack that KingNestea said he recorded a typing test for PlastikSchnittstelle - guess a bunch of the keyboard elite were hanging out in Germany drinking   :D

They also shouted out the SKBxx GB, Wodan said it looks really good in person.
More

Offline kekstee

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 07:39:12 »
Oh, bad news about those typing videos, he must have double tapped the recording button at some point and the phone was mounted at the lamp so you couldn't really see what's going on... :D
I guess he'll have to do it himself after all.

Offline jgjl

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 07:46:24 »
The case would be very nice for my custom work-in-progress board.

Do you plan to provide plates for plate-mounted stabilizers and
hand-wired/pcb-less builds?
If not, is the case (without the plate of course) compatible with
with plate-mounted stabilizers and pcb-less builds?

After a closer look at the images: is the plate attached to the top
of the case? This would make the case already pcb-less plate compatible,
with the plate being the only missing thing...

This issue could be resolved by a GH60/Pock3r adapter. Since you have extra
space around the keys, this should be possible. If you provide the exact measurements
I will given it a shot :)

Cheers,

jgjl
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 April 2018, 12:23:10 by jgjl »

Offline online

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 07:52:56 »
Joined few days ago. Didn't have confirmation email. Could you make a list of orders? So that I know I'm in. Don't wanna miss this awesome case! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 11:14:34 »
Any possibility of getting a bare, unanodized case?
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline jgjl

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 11:16:01 »

+1

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 12:37:18 »
Oh, bad news about those typing videos, he must have double tapped the recording button at some point and the phone was mounted at the lamp so you couldn't really see what's going on... :D
I guess he'll have to do it himself after all.

Finally the typing demonstration. Why did it take me so long to do that? Three reasons tbo:
a) I'm super slow at typing, not nice for a typing demo video I thought.
b) I don't have nice hands and fingers :(
c) My office room has blank concrete floor and ceiling and a lot of windows/glas, which makes it a suboptimal soundstage for this.

That's why I had hoped to finde someone else and another location. I got that opportunity yesterday at a small meetup. But I totally screwed up, accidentally I didn't record the typing but instead in between the few typing tries. Was also wrong orientation and chatting in the back. Only realized this today.

So now you do get my slow typing, ugly hands and the suboptimal soundstage, here is the youtube video.

Board with RGB-mods:
- Gateron blacks, lubed
- EnjoyPBT keycaps
- angle at 10 degree

Board with HHKB layout:
- Cherry MX silent blacks, lubed
- old cherry HAD keycaps with HADapter
- angle at 12 degree

and sorry, only tomorrow or maybe later time for more updates.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 April 2018, 17:11:26 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 16:18:15 »

Just saw on Top Clack that KingNestea said he recorded a typing test for PlastikSchnittstelle - guess a bunch of the keyboard elite were hanging out in Germany drinking   :D

They also shouted out the SKBxx GB, Wodan said it looks really good in person.

I was really happy to get the chance and join this nini-meetup at wodan's place! that stream started very late at german time, I left shortly before they started. in hindsight this was totally stupid, should have stayed an hour longer  :-[

anyway, thanks to wodan for mentioning the SKB60  :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 April 2018, 16:29:57 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 16:21:52 »

+1

yes, i can arrange that. but you do want the bead blasting, right?

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 16:28:52 »
Joined few days ago. Didn't have confirmation email. Could you make a list of orders? So that I know I'm in. Don't wanna miss this awesome case! 

sorry, didn't know there is a plugin for email confirmation, google forms can't do that out-of-the-box. you should be good, but I can't really tell, couse here you are just shown as "online" can't see any real username that i could search for in the form entries.

list of orders with the usernames in the start post - yes, this will come, first i plan to include the ortholinear option.

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 16:36:56 »

space around the keys, this should be possible. If you provide the exact measurements

Cheers,

jgjl

yes, it is a top-mount construction.
yes, only PCB-mount stabilizers are supported.

Sorry, I don't understand the rest of your question  :(

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 16:43:35 »

Yes, it is.

Ok TIL :D
Last time i used a brush...this seems indeed a lot easier!
Thanks.

wodan shows it in this video, take a look. huge timesaver. when applied to mx switches I throw springs and stems into the bag.

Offline jgjl

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 17:14:06 »

Cheers,

jgjl

yes, it is a top-mount construction.
yes, only PCB-mount stabilizers are supported.

Sorry, I don't understand the rest of your question  :(

Thank you for the clarification.

Here are my two remaining questions:

Question 1: Do you plan to add a plate for use without PCB and with plate-mounted stabilizers?

If you do not, where are two options to make this happen:

1. Use a standard 60% HHKB plate with the same dimensions as this one: https://1upkeyboards.com/diy-60-black-carbon-fiber-keyboard-kits.html. This plate is smaller than the one used in your SKB60 design. In order to make a standard plate compatible with the SKB60 design, an adapter is be required. The adapter has to add a frame around the standard 60% plate in order to attach it to the SKB60 case.

2. Create a custom plate (e.g. with the swillkb case & plate builder http://builder.swillkb.com/).

Question 2: In both cases, we would need to know the exact dimensions of the SKB60 plate design and the locations of the screw holes. Would it be possible to get this information?

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 17:29:46 »

Question 1: Do you plan to add a plate for use without PCB and with plate-mounted stabilizers?

1. Use a standard 60% HHKB plate with the same dimensions as this one: https://1upkeyboards.com/diy-60-black-carbon-fiber-keyboard-kits.html. This plate is smaller than the one used in your SKB60 design. In order to make a standard plate compatible with the SKB60 design, an adapter is be required. The adapter has to add a frame around the standard 60% plate in order to attach it to the SKB60 case.

2. Create a custom plate (e.g. with the swillkb case & plate builder http://builder.swillkb.com/).

Question 2: In both cases, we would need to know the exact dimensions of the SKB60 plate design and the locations of the screw holes. Would it be possible to get this information?

1:
please take a look at the section "PCBs, plates and layouts" in the opening post. click on "more" and you will see the plates and the layouts they support. only pcb-mount stabilizer support.

2:
this is a top-mount construction, not a tray-mount. so this means no compatibility with "standard" plates.
if you want to make your own plate, i can provide you with the necessary data. (warning: if you want to LASER a single plate in germany it can easily cost you around 200euro)
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 April 2018, 17:34:55 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline jgjl

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 18:27:33 »

1:
please take a look at the section "PCBs, plates and layouts" in the opening post. click on "more" and you will see the plates and the layouts they support. only pcb-mount stabilizer support.

2:
this is a top-mount construction, not a tray-mount. so this means no compatibility with "standard" plates.
if you want to make your own plate, i can provide you with the necessary data. (warning: if you want to LASER a single plate in germany it can easily cost you around 200euro)

Thanks!

1: Understood.

2: The data would be awesome :)
Lasering: I ordered a single plate last week: http://www.laserteileonline.de/dxfimport.html. It has not arrived yet, so I cannot comment on the results. In any case, 42EUR plus 7EUR shipping is OK for me.

Offline jgjl

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 18:33:43 »

+1

Cool! Bead blasting sounds even better!

How can I specify this in the order form?

Offline cinema

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 03:02:39 »

+1

Cool! Bead blasting sounds even better!

How can I specify this in the order form?

Bead-blasting leaves a more rough looking texture opposed to anodized from what I've seen. I've already placed my order, but if this is a legitimate option without creating additional problems, I imagine this difference would really set this case off well.

Offline online

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 05:59:36 »

sorry, didn't know there is a plugin for email confirmation, google forms can't do that out-of-the-box. you should be good, but I can't really tell, couse here you are just shown as "online" can't see any real username that i could search for in the form entries.

list of orders with the usernames in the start post - yes, this will come, first i plan to include the ortholinear option.

I don't know about google forms, but recently joined a GB with an order list and I found it very useful.
Sorry for the confusion, my username is 'online'. :)

Anyway, I'm happy as long as I'm in. :)

Offline kim-kim

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 07:01:04 »

1:

2:

There's no 75RE layout option on the form until now

Should I make my own custom plate instead?  :D