Author Topic: PS/2 to USB when does one need a converter instead of an adapter?  (Read 20153 times)

Offline Jim66

Hi guys,

Previously, when I used an model M, I used one of these adapters:

I'm currently waiting for one of those compaq/cheery jobbies to turn up in the post; as stated in the title, when does one need to use a converter instead of an adapter?

Will one of these

Be ok for one of these?

Thanks in advance..

Jim.

Offline TexasFlood

PS/2 to USB when does one need a converter instead of an adapter?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 August 2010, 23:17:50 »
Quote from: kishy;213788
Well, adapter more commonly means passive device without conversion circuitry (physically adapts the connector, leaves the signal alone).

The application you've described, OP, will always require active conversion circuitry. The 'blue cube' has this but is just so compact that one might mistake it for a passive adapter.

Isn't the ziotek supposed to be "active" as well? Not sure about the Belkin, would assume so but by definition that means I don't really know for sure.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 August 2010, 23:54:35 »
Quote from: Dr.Jim;213720
Hi guys,

Previously, when I used an model M, I used one of these adapters:

Show Image

I'm currently waiting for one of those compaq/cheery jobbies to turn up in the post; as stated in the title, when does one need to use a converter instead of an adapter?

Will one of these

Show Image

Be ok for one of these?

Show Image

I have a couple that look like that.  They basically work but get frequent resets and have that issue of "forgetting" the state of keys held down for more then a couple of seconds, like shift and control.  This can be a royal pain and basically make them useless for me.  I'm not saying that one is the same, I don't know, just that it looks the same.  The Belkin (below) I got looks very similar but works much better.

Offline Jim66

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 August 2010, 17:07:00 »
Hmmm, well I did suspect as much. This is copied from clickykeyboards.com:

"Question: My cheap ps/2-USB green or purple adapter is not auto-detected by Windows plug and play and I can’t get it to work. Where can I download the drivers?

(typical examples of passive ps/2 to USB adapters that are not true ps/2 to USB signal converters)

Answer: The vast majority of commonly available ps2 to USB converters are simple passive ADAPTERS that simply change the plug shape to match the outlet. These ADAPTERS only function to connect the ps/2 wires to the approximate USB wires. Simple ps/2 to USB adapters do not use specific software drivers.

In general, most users having trouble connecting their keyboard to newer computers are looking for a ps/2 to USB signal CONVERTER. These devices use an integrated circuit (pre-programmed chip) to actively translate the ps/2 keyboard signal and convert it into a USB keyboard signal.

This allows the vintage ps/2 keyboard to be automatically recognized by the operating system as if it were a standard, modern USB keyboard. A well-designed active ps/2 to USB converter will use the built-in operating system drivers for a USB keyboard (for example in Microsoft Windows XP, kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys)."

I was thinking that because it wasn't a vintage keyboard (i.e., model m) it wouldn't need this adapter?

Offline Jim66

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 August 2010, 17:09:29 »
Quote from: kishy;213802
Ziotek and Belkin are both 'converters'

Is this the ziotek fella?

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 August 2010, 17:48:19 »
Quote from: ripster;214113
Yeah, that's mine so it should work.  I don't have the Compaq though and I don't know OS  you're on but it looks like Clicky sells that one (for $20 versus much less direct from Cyberguys).

He's probably pretty pissed at me for taking away his biz though after HE does all the testing.

Brandon is a real die-hard mac user though:
We think that in the coming years, Apple will continue to gain a much, much wider acceptance in corporate environments and grow beyond the existing base of Mac users. Since the release of Intel Macs, as a computer professional my official recommendations to every virus-infected, spyware-infected, and Windows blue-screen-of-death user has been to just make the switch and get a Mac.

In all honesty, you can't boast about any of the typical consumerism garbage. And he airily states PC compatibles getting "BSODs", what about kernel panics? I see those all the time.

There are many other "computer professionals" that vividly state OSX is incompatible with many of the mainstream software (regardless of "bootcamp" which cannot emulate everything correctly and not to mention, you lose CPU speed).
The best solution is to have a variety of operating systems at your disposal; not some monotonic "apple only" world, consisting of x86 glued together aluminum cases that have poor cooling.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline mike

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 14:28:01 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;214128
"bootcamp" which cannot emulate everything correctly and not to mention, you lose CPU speed).

Hmm ... foot meet mouth, mouth meet foot.

Bootcamp doesn't emulate anything; it isn't even a virtualisation solution. In fact strictly speaking it isn't necessary at all to run Windows (or Linux) on an x86 Mac but just makes it easier.

You don't lose CPU speed. The Windows drivers or the Linux drivers may be substandard, but that hasn't anything to do with Bootcamp.
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 18:47:30 »
Quote from: mike;216979
Hmm ... foot meet mouth, mouth meet foot.

Bootcamp doesn't emulate anything; it isn't even a virtualisation solution. In fact strictly speaking it isn't necessary at all to run Windows (or Linux) on an x86 Mac but just makes it easier.

You don't lose CPU speed. The Windows drivers or the Linux drivers may be substandard, but that hasn't anything to do with Bootcamp.

My point was it's not compatible with everything, and yes, it goes slower than running windows on hardware that isn't "All in one".

It actually would be smarter to get a fast windows machine (hackintosh?) and dual boot with OSX rather than vice versa.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 19:18:20 »
Bootcamp is a bootloader, not a VM, emulator, or compatibility layer. Running Windows on a Mac using Bootcamp is no different to running Windows on any other equivalent x86 machine.

EIBM, if you're going to spend your life on the internet jacking off over how much you hate Apple, at least get the facts right.

I've heard that the Apple drivers for Windows are great. In fact, the biggest Mac *** I know uses Bootcamp on his Mac Pro to load Windows 7 because WoW runs faster on it compared with OS X. Go figure...

There are many other "computer professionals" that vividly state OSX is incompatible with many of the mainstream software

Given that most software for Windows is there to address its manifold failings, I'm figuring that this isn't necessarily a bad thing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 August 2010, 19:43:36 by ch_123 »

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 06:22:44 »
Check out this guy:
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline mike

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 13:21:00 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;217060
My point was it's not compatible with everything, and yes, it goes slower than running windows on hardware that isn't "All in one".

It actually would be smarter to get a fast windows machine (hackintosh?) and dual boot with OSX rather than vice versa.

Nope. Foot still embedded firmly in mouth.

Of course a PC built with laptop components is slower than a PC built with desktop components. If you're trying to say that Apple has no sensible low-cost desktop solution, why don't you say so rather than whitter on about totally irrelevant details (Bootcamp) ? Your point was lost in the noise, and still is.

And you'll find that no solution is compatible with everything; not even your favourite Windows. Tried running OmniGraffle Professional under Windows ? Nope, because you can't and people I know with considerable experience with both Visio and OmniGraffle prefer the later.
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline JBert

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 17:13:44 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;217194
Check out this guy:
Show Image
Oh dear, is this to lure customers or does Ebay know that exclusions shouldn't turn up in search results?
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 17:34:12 »
Quote from: ripster;217700
I'm glad he excluded Vatican City.   Priests have enough problems with their dongles as it is.

The One True PopeMobile
Show Image

I'm surprised you know about that picture. You really do know about literally every random thing ever to exist on the internet; how do you feel about that?

The vatican inside actually use dell computers.

EDIT:

Bonus points to those who notice the interesting green bottles... I'll leave it to your imaginations to guess what liquids reside inside.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2010, 17:36:19 by EverythingIBM »

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 20:33:21 »
Quote from: ripster;217730
I feel like a beer.  How do you feel?

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 20:54:27 »
You know the Bible doesn't say a single thing against beer? It's true! Drinking beer is not a sin.

Now what you do while drinking it is another matter entirely. ;)
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 August 2010, 23:15:42 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;217742
You know the Bible doesn't say a single thing against beer? It's true! Drinking beer is not a sin.

Now what you do while drinking it is another matter entirely. ;)

I think the bible says "drunkness" is a sin, not drinking alcohol in itself.

So let me get this straight:
+

If Mr. Ratzinger (while drinking some beer) goes on a little hike with laura croft, that's a sin? But the drinking in itself isn't?

woody

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 05 September 2010, 06:25:30 »
Quote from: Dr.Jim;214103

Answer: The vast majority of commonly available ps2 to USB converters are simple passive ADAPTERS that simply change the plug shape to match the outlet. These ADAPTERS only function to connect the ps/2 wires to the approximate USB wires.

Great. Approximate USB wires with regard to PS2 are exactly zero. :horn:
Don't let your kids read clickykeyboards.com.

All PS2 / USB converters have MCUs inside (small CPUs) and software to handle the USB protocol. Differences between PS2 and USB include both electrical signaling and protocol. That is, their similarities are .... none.
Now, if you want to complain about the software in the MCU - do it as with every other piece of crappy software.

Offline JBert

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 05 September 2010, 07:27:32 »
Quote from: woody;220071
Quote from: Dr.Jim;214103

Answer: The vast majority of commonly available ps2 to USB converters are simple passive ADAPTERS that simply change the plug shape to match the outlet. These ADAPTERS only function to connect the ps/2 wires to the approximate USB wires.
Great. Approximate USB wires with regard to PS2 are exactly zero. :horn:
Don't let your kids read clickykeyboards.com.

All PS2 / USB converters have MCUs inside (small CPUs) and software to handle the USB protocol. Differences between PS2 and USB include both electrical signaling and protocol. That is, their similarities are .... none.
Now, if you want to complain about the software in the MCU - do it as with every other piece of crappy software.
While the clickykeyboards-guy is going the dangerous route of mixing up terminology, he isn't that wrong: those passive adapters really do nothing more than adapting the USB plug on the end of the keyboard cable to a PS/2 connector, or PS/2 to USB.

He just forget to add that you can't use such an adapter unless your keyboard supports it. In such case, the keyboard's microcontroller will notice that the adapter is connected and switch its protocol from USB to PS/2 or vice versa.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

woody

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 05 September 2010, 19:40:16 »
Oh man, oh man. That's so messed up ...
Perhaps one day I'll bump into such "adapter".
Thanks for pointing out!
________
727C
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 February 2011, 13:36:07 by woody »