Author Topic: The Unofficial FaceW Manual for ps2avrU Firmware V1.7 (15 Feb 2015)  (Read 340434 times)

Offline jorgenslee

anyone have any idea whether will the gui tool works with windows 8.1?

I'm not sure.  I'm still on Windows 7 x64.

@jorgenslee: I haven't tested that thing on the hackintosh installation.  'keep getting a kernel panic on startup. :'(
No worries, I recently upgraded to Yosemite and it seems to fix the problem. Unfortunately, there seems to be a cut on my PCB which makes the capslock not working. FML.  :'( :'(

To zennasyndroxx:
I use my wife's laptop to update my firmware which runs on Window 8.1. It works fine as far as I know.

Offline jorgenslee

I'm on 8.1 and it didn't really turn out well. I'm not sure if it's because of my faceu replica that I bought if in a Chinese forum groupbuy or it just won't work. The vid and pid is different, loading bootloader with teh q key didn't work. Entered boot mapper via ps2avr menu didn't work as well.

Maybe you should use ps2avru in the menu. I tried to use the ps2avr before and It returns an error when I try to load a keymap. HTH

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
This guide saved my life :thumb: I have 2 faceU (the older PCB version of faceW but uses the same firmware) and this guide helped me a lot.
Also for the incoming  SPRIT faceW this will be very useful.
I have one question, maybe someone has the same problem: my faceu does not work in BIOS and in GRUB it just not recognized, only if I reboot the computer with the kbd plugged in I can use it in BIOS and GRUB.
Been talking to other faceU owners and they have the same issue.
From what I have read it might be related to NKRO, some motherboards don't work with it.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
This guide saved my life :thumb: I have 2 faceU (the older PCB version of faceW but uses the same firmware) and this guide helped me a lot.
Also for the incoming  SPRIT faceW this will be very useful.
I have one question, maybe someone has the same problem: my faceu does not work in BIOS and in GRUB it just not recognized, only if I reboot the computer with the kbd plugged in I can use it in BIOS and GRUB.
Been talking to other faceU owners and they have the same issue.
From what I have read it might be related to NKRO, some motherboards don't work with it.

Glad it helped! :thumb:

I have the same issue in BIOS even if I restart with the keyboard plugged in.  I'm using mine in 6KRO but still have that issue.  It doesn't register all keypresses at least that's what I've observed.  At least my bios has that mouse 3D BIOS interface thing.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
Oh it helped more than you think :thumb:
How do you activate 6KRO ? I know the default firware is NKRO, and there is also the Ghosting one.
I think there is no solution to the BIOS issue, read a lot about this, sime say is also related to v-usb.
It's a shame because the firmware is amazing, the ps2avr menu is so easy to use, I remapped my keyboard using Vim in Linux, this is so easy to do :)
Can't wait for the sprit 60% , now I have a faceU replica, nice but not the original.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
I can't seem to get my LEDs to toggle.  Is there something I'm missing?

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
Oh it helped more than you think :thumb:
How do you activate 6KRO ? I know the default firware is NKRO, and there is also the Ghosting one.
I think there is no solution to the BIOS issue, read a lot about this, sime say is also related to v-usb.
It's a shame because the firmware is amazing, the ps2avr menu is so easy to use, I remapped my keyboard using Vim in Linux, this is so easy to do :)
Can't wait for the sprit 60% , now I have a faceU replica, nice but not the original.

Oops..missed that, mine is one 6KRO and even after flashing the NKRO firmware I can't get NKRO.  I keep forgetting to research more on this.

== == == == == ==

I can't seem to get my LEDs to toggle.  Is there something I'm missing?

Have you  tried FN + Caps Lock?

How about Esc + Caps Lock (press Esc first and then Caps Lock)?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
I've tried both, no dice.  Caps and Numlock will light up, but nothing else.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
I've tried both, no dice.  Caps and Numlock will light up, but nothing else.

Hmm...are you using the default keymap?  Tried reflashing the firmware and the default keymap?

Do all the LEDs flash when you put the keyboard in Flash Programming Mode?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
I haven't tried flash programming mode or reflashing the firmware.  It's the standard keymap though, complete with winkey.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Great manual , helped me a lot .

Was just wondering , is there a way to save the .hex after we do some keymap changes through the ps2avrU Menu ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here

Was just wondering , is there a way to save the .hex after we do some keymap changes through the ps2avrU Menu ?

Glad it helped you out! :thumb:

I don't think there is a way to download a hex from the keyboard.

There appears to be a download function in the desktop client (bootMapperClient.exe) but it seems to be for the newer ps2avrGB devices.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened

Glad it helped you out! :thumb:

I don't think there is a way to download a hex from the keyboard.

There appears to be a download function in the desktop client (bootMapperClient.exe) but it seems to be for the newer ps2avrGB devices.
Ok not that important anyway would just have been nice .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline fatchoi

Hi there, thanks for the post and I'm programming my faceu. The column and row on the online bootmapper (http://boot.winkeyless.kr/bootMapper/) is really confusing me...

Could anyone tell me please, how to correspond a key on the physical keyboard with those shown as column/ row on the bootmapper?

Many thanks!

Edit:
Figured it out by reading the post again. Indeed when plugging in the usb cable, need to press tab. I pressed Q instead, so the bootmapper doesn't show me the key I'm pressing.
Thanks again for the post!
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 December 2014, 01:49:40 by fatchoi »

Offline geniekid

I found this to very helpful when programming my own FaceU PCB.  Thanks :)

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
Any chance we can see this updated for the ps2avrgb devices? It is proving very difficult to find any information or software for programming my 22Mini-RGB.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
Any chance we can see this updated for the ps2avrgb devices? It is proving very difficult to find any information or software for programming my 22Mini-RGB.

Sure, but I need a ps2avrgb device to play around with. :p

I seriously want a B.face or B.87 but I'm currently focusing on another project at the moment.  Maybe later this year.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ

Sure, but I need a ps2avrgb device to play around with. :p

I seriously want a B.face or B.87 but I'm currently focusing on another project at the moment.  Maybe later this year.

I really want one too ! Esp the B.Pad. I really want a keypad  :p
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
As a start, it looks like Winkeyless has put up a ps2avrGB manual in english now:

http://blog.winkeyless.kr/183

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
I have a noob question (probably). I'm trying to fire Ctrl-Delete. Fn-Backspace is mapped to Delete. So I press Ctrl-FN-Backspace, but it's not firing. When I watch with AquaKeyTest I can see it register Ctrl, but Delete never registers. The key combination does work on a Poker. What am I doing wrong?

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
I have a noob question (probably). I'm trying to fire Ctrl-Delete. Fn-Backspace is mapped to Delete. So I press Ctrl-FN-Backspace, but it's not firing. When I watch with AquaKeyTest I can see it register Ctrl, but Delete never registers. The key combination does work on a Poker. What am I doing wrong?

What does Ctrl+Del do? I only know of Ctrl+Alt+Del.
Can you check if Del key is being registered when you press Fn+Backspace?
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌

Ctrl+Delete will delete the proceeding word in many editors, it's a really great shortcut! Also, Ctrl+Backspace will delete the preceding word.

AquaKeyTest shows registers Delete with FN+Backspace. But Delete never registers with Ctrl+Fn+Backspace. It appears that the modifier is preventing it from registering Fn+Backspace. Ctrl is mapped as Ctrl in both the normal and Fn layers.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.

Ctrl+Delete will delete the proceeding word in many editors, it's a really great shortcut! Also, Ctrl+Backspace will delete the preceding word.

AquaKeyTest shows registers Delete with FN+Backspace. But Delete never registers with Ctrl+Fn+Backspace. It appears that the modifier is preventing it from registering Fn+Backspace. Ctrl is mapped as Ctrl in both the normal and Fn layers.
Good to know. Learned something new today. :)

I just tested Ctrl+FN+Backspace(Del) on a brand new SPRiT PCB (touched the contact points with tweezers) and it worked as you described. Not sure why you're having problems on your PCB.

Have you checked if NKRO firmware is installed? There might be a small amount of PCBs that are running GKP (ghost key protect)

You can download the ps2avr firmware flasher from the OP. Just hold down "Q" when you plug in your mini USB cable, then open up HIDBootFlash --> Find device. It'll tell you if NKRO is flashed on it or GKP.
Alternately, you can just see if holding down more than 6 keys will actuate on Aqua Key Test.

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌

I just tested Ctrl+FN+Backspace(Del) on a brand new SPRiT PCB (touched the contact points with tweezers) and it worked as you described. Not sure why you're having problems on your PCB.

Have you checked if NKRO firmware is installed? There might be a small amount of PCBs that are running GKP (ghost key protect)

You can download the ps2avr firmware flasher from the OP. Just hold down "Q" when you plug in your mini USB cable, then open up HIDBootFlash --> Find device. It'll tell you if NKRO is flashed on it or GKP.
Alternately, you can just see if holding down more than 6 keys will actuate on Aqua Key Test.

Zeal, thanks for your help with this! It turns out that I do have the GKP firmware installed according to HIDBootFlash. However, I can't seem to successfully flash keymain_NKRO.hex. I go through the process and load keymain_NKRO.hex with HIDBootFlash and it reports "finished flashing the device", but it continues to report that GKP is flashed. There is no write protect mechanism that I am missing, is there?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.

Zeal, thanks for your help with this! It turns out that I do have the GKP firmware installed according to HIDBootFlash. However, I can't seem to successfully flash keymain_NKRO.hex. I go through the process and load keymain_NKRO.hex with HIDBootFlash and it reports "finished flashing the device", but it continues to report that GKP is flashed. There is no write protect mechanism that I am missing, is there?

Just delete GKP files from the ps2avr folder. Here's what you should have left:

Then when it searches / flashes it should hopefully stop picking GKP.

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌

Show Image

That did it! I removed the GKP files from the ps2avr folder, flashed keymain_NKRO.hex and it took. I now have NKRO and my initial issue with Ctrl+Fn+Backspace has been resolved. Zeal, my sincere thanks for helping me work through this issue! :)

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.

Show Image

That did it! I removed the GKP files from the ps2avr folder, flashed keymain_NKRO.hex and it took. I now have NKRO and my initial issue with Ctrl+Fn+Backspace has been resolved. Zeal, my sincere thanks for helping me work through this issue! :)

Glad everything worked out. :)

Sorry about not double checking each PCB to make sure they've all got NKRO. >_<

Offline FreeChemicals

Apparently, there is an offline client (Mac & Windows) available to map/flash boards with that controller: http://blog.winkeyless.kr/155

http://blog.winkeyless.kr/183 - Guide using the BootMapper Client for ps2avrU/ps2avrGB
http://blog.winkeyless.kr/184 - Hardware macro keys
http://blog.winkeyless.kr/185 - General info

It's pretty easy to use, just like the website, basically.

Offline jorgenslee

Does someone know how to fix a messup row? I have this problem when I try to change the hardware layout, the problem is when I press 1, it registers q1, when I press z and tab, it registers z + tab + a. When I check the keymapper these keys is all in the same row. I already reflow the diodes but same issue.

Offline aaronz8

Show Image

Glad everything worked out. :)

Sorry about not double checking each PCB to make sure they've all got NKRO. >_<

I'm pretty sure that bootloadHID just shows the first file in the directory (which is basically what the log says), rather than the firmware on the device.

Anyways, my pcb (from sprit directly) was loaded with GKP but I just replaced it with NKRO.

I have a problem that should be related to firmware: my pcb won't work well with OSX. It did initially, but 2 days ago it started skipping keys until a replug. Yesterday, even that fix stopped working. I've tried reflashing (GKP and NKRO), and I've plugged into hackintosh1(10.10.2), hackintosh2(10.9.latest), and 2011 macbook pro(10.10.2). All have the same issue, but it works on Windows flawlessly.

Details of the issue:
pressing random keys (estimated >30 wpm), 2 significant issues appear.
1, the first letter in the sequence is repeated the same number of other keys I've pressed (in terminal, while in other apps the accents ŕáâä thing pops up). For example, qwertyuiop becomes qqqqqqqqqq.
2, letters are completely skipped. For example, hello becomes lo

Apologies if this isn't the correct place to post.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Okay guys, I am trying to program my keyboard using the instructions in this thread.  My keyboard is a Kaliet 22 EX Mini and I am programming on Windows 7 64-bit.  However, when I try to open the HIDBootFlash application to flash the firmware, I am left with this message and I cannot run the application:

90771-0

Any insight on this?

Also, another question.  In the bootloader, in the "target"dropdown menu, anybody know if I should select "ps2avru" or ps2avru for Aikon" for this Kaliet keyboard?

Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
Okay guys, I am trying to program my keyboard using the instructions in this thread.  My keyboard is a Kaliet 22 EX Mini and I am programming on Windows 7 64-bit.  However, when I try to open the HIDBootFlash application to flash the firmware, I am left with this message and I cannot run the application:

(Attachment Link)

Any insight on this?

Also, another question.  In the bootloader, in the "target"dropdown menu, anybody know if I should select "ps2avru" or ps2avru for Aikon" for this Kaliet keyboard?

I'm not sure if this would work with a Kaliet 22 EX Mini.  This was written specifically for the FaceW.

Have you checked with Kaliet about flashing?

Offline vivalarevolución

(Attachment Link)

Any insight on this?

I'm not sure if this would work with a Kaliet 22 EX Mini.  This was written specifically for the FaceW.

I have.  He can be a little slow on the response time.  I was under the impression that these keyboards can be programmed using the same method.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 07:14:21 by prdlm2009 »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here

(Attachment Link)

Any insight on this?

I have.  He can be a little slow on the response time.  I was under the impression that these keyboards can be programmed using the same method.

While there is a chance that the process is the same, the flash files may not be compatible.  Having bricked my share of Nokias back in the day, please be careful. :thumb:

Offline vivalarevolución

(Attachment Link)

Any insight on this?

While there is a chance that the process is the same, the flash files may not be compatible.  Having bricked my share of Nokias back in the day, please be careful. :thumb:

Yes, i am a little worried about bricking the keyboard, but all the instructions in your guide here seem to work with the Kaliet (e.g. bootloader mode and LED modes), so I am assuming that Kaliet's keyboards use the same firmware as the FaceW. 

EDIT:  I have made contact with Kaliet, so I'll be communicating with him about this issue.  Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 09:45:48 by prdlm2009 »

Offline Angrychair

I have flashed my sprit60 to mirror the main and fn1 layer of a poker, but I am having an issue with with delete.

fn+backspace=delete and works correctly,  but fn+shift+backspace /=force delete a file as if shift+delete was pressed.

Sprit60      Poker II      Code                  Corsair K70

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
I have flashed my sprit60 to mirror the main and fn1 layer of a poker, but I am having an issue with with delete.

fn+backspace=delete and works correctly,  but fn+shift+backspace /=force delete a file as if shift+delete was pressed.

OK.  'just tested this out and it works for me.  Could you attach your keymap file?  I'll check it out.

Just to clarify, we are talking about this: in windows explorer, delete prompts to send to the recycle bin and shift + delete prompts to delete bypassing the recycle bin.

Offline Angrychair

OK.  'just tested this out and it works for me.  Could you attach your keymap file?  I'll check it out.

Just to clarify, we are talking about this: in windows explorer, delete prompts to send to the recycle bin and shift + delete prompts to delete bypassing the recycle bin.

Yeah I will send the keymap when I get home. 

Offline Angrychair

Here's the keymap as it stands, currently.  Nothing fancy, just a bare bone baseline functionality.  Minus that pesky shift+delete

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
Here's the keymap as it stands, currently.  Nothing fancy, just a bare bone baseline functionality.  Minus that pesky shift+delete

I just tested this out on and the delete file (as in delete and bypass the recycle bin) works.  Please note that I press and hold fn and then press shift and backspace.

Offline vivalarevolución

Hey, this guide works for most everything on my keyboard, except that it does not enter Flash Programming Mode when I hold down the Q key while plugging in the USB cable.  Is there perhaps another key that will start the keyboard in Flash Programming Mode?

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
Hey, this guide works for most everything on my keyboard, except that it does not enter Flash Programming Mode when I hold down the Q key while plugging in the USB cable.  Is there perhaps another key that will start the keyboard in Flash Programming Mode?

Not that I know of.  Are you using a custom keymap?  Tried using a different USB port on your computer?

Offline vivalarevolución

Not that I know of.  Are you using a custom keymap?  Tried using a different USB port on your computer?

I meant to add an EDIT, but my Internet crashed while I was typing the reply.  When I hold down ESC, all the LEDs start flashing.  I will try that.  Seems like the Flash Programming Mode using a different button on my keymap.  Fingers crossed.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here

I meant to add an EDIT, but my Internet crashed while I was typing the reply.  When I hold down ESC, all the LEDs start flashing.  I will try that.  Seems like the Flash Programming Mode using a different button on my keymap.  Fingers crossed.

That's interesting.  Holding down Esc and plugging in the USB didn't bring up that flash programming mode for me on firmware v1.7.

Offline vivalarevolución

That's interesting.  Holding down Esc and plugging in the USB didn't bring up that flash programming mode for me on firmware v1.7.

I may not have the most recent version of the firmware, I'm not sure, but all the other functions in this guide seem to work.

Offline vivalarevolución

Okay, I got it to flash the firmware with a new layout, but it does this weird thing on the FN layer that causes keys to register one row above the location where I mapped them.  For example, on the FN layer I mapped Caps Lock to Col 1, Row 8.  But the key actually registers to Col 1, Row 7.  And that is the case for all the keys on the FN layer.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
Okay, I got it to flash the firmware with a new layout, but it does this weird thing on the FN layer that causes keys to register one row above the location where I mapped them.  For example, on the FN layer I mapped Caps Lock to Col 1, Row 8.  But the key actually registers to Col 1, Row 7.  And that is the case for all the keys on the FN layer.

Pardon the late reply.  Could you upload the keymap file and I'll take a look. ;)

Offline vivalarevolución

Pardon the late reply.  Could you upload the keymap file and I'll take a look. ;)

I sorta did a workaround and placed all the keys of the FN one row below where I intended them to be, and the keys are in the location I would like them to be.  I don't think that is an effective long-term solution, though.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
http://boot.winkeyless.kr/bootMapper/ seems down, anyone got info on it?
Azerty Propagandiste