Author Topic: Very disappointed in mechanical keyboards now  (Read 12450 times)

Offline Aardwolf

Very disappointed in mechanical keyboards now
« on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 14:33:40 »
Hello,

I've been really happy with this mechanical keyboard for a year. I like the way it types so much, I can't even type on a regular keyboard anymore (requires such hard squichy presses).

But this has got to be a joke, right? The specs of my keyboard said: "gold plated connectors" "20 million keystrokes per key" or so.

But after 1 year, the "e" key does "chattering"? This makes it almost unusable. Even if only 1% of the times the "e" key gets duplicated (it's around 1% I think), it makes the keyboard more annoying than what it's worth.

And it's not like I've gone to WAR with this keyboard or so, just normal usage, and the "e" is even slightly less used than keys like "w", "a", "s" and "d"!

I've had the same cheap keyboards for YEARS and they never failed. And this one with its impressive claims becomes unusable after a year?

Seriously, is this really how it is with these cherry brown keyboards? Am I just unlucky maybe?

How long did your keyboard survive without problems?

Offline metafour

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 14:35:42 »
You need to account for the keyboard manufacturer as well. What brand of keyboard is this?

Offline Aardwolf

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 14:39:12 »
Filco.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 14:44:05 »
You can try to fix the chattering by depressing the switch and then blowing some compressed air into it.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 15:06:42 »
I would recommend opening the switch and blowing out the casing with compressed air. If you get dirt or particles of any kind in the switch chattering can happen, for example if it is lodged behind the contact leaf in the switch housing.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline kps

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 15:15:32 »
Do try cleaning it with air, but occasionally a switch is just a dud. I had the "a" on my second Kinesis start to bounce after a couple months (they took care of it) while my first one has been going strong for 14 years.

One good thing about discrete-switch keyboards is that they are repairable. If the keyboard is out of warranty, if you have a soldering iron, you can get a new switch and replace it yourself. If you can't do that, and can't find anyone locally to help you, you can still sell the keyboard without losing too much, because many other people can.

Offline Jamesbeat

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 15:19:01 »
At least you don't have to throw the whole thing out if a switch is broken, you can just change the offending switch.
See? Mechanical keyboards are still better than rubber domes even when they break!

Offline Aardwolf

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 15:33:06 »
Can one get individual switches? It is still under warranty, but I think seeing someone I know soldering it is nicer than sending it abroad and then waiting...

Offline pitashen

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 15:33:57 »
If there is anything particularly bad about the mechanical keyboards is its weakness against intruding liquid, dust, etc.

I bought a mechanical thinking the lasting-along-time is one of the main reason why I want one. In the end, it is really of secondary conern, lol.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 February 2012, 15:36:31 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 15:38:32 »
You can get individual switches here: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts-1.html

If you have a majestouch 1, then you wont have to desolder the switch to get it out. Otherwise... then you'll have to.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Aardwolf

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 15:43:30 »
Do you mean, by majestouch 1, simply the "majestouch", i.e. the original one? Then it's indeed that one (not the newer version). The only thing holding me back from opening it myself for now, is the warrenty sticker! I'll see a bit more how it evolves first, and try to get access to compressed air somewhere...

Offline Jamesbeat

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 16:00:49 »
Having opened my FK 2001 just to be nosy, I'd say that someone with even the most basic soldering skills could replace a switch no problem. The solder pads are comparatively huge and spaced out.

Aardwolf, whenever I feel apprehensive about opening something, (which is almost never nowadays, but confidence comes with experience) I always remember an article I read in a magazine when I was replacing the FDD in my Atari ST many years ago.

It said something along the lines of 'The Atari ST is assembled by 14 year old girls in Malaysia. If they can do it, so can you!'

Now, that's not quite true, as I guess those girls probably had some training and familiarity with the design, but the thing to remember is that these things are put together by someone no smarter than you.

A mechanical keyboard is pretty simple as far as these things go, and providing you don't force anything, I highly doubt you'll damage it.

I consider a warranty from a manufacturer in a different country to be pretty much useless simply because of the hassle and shipping times, so I would have punched through that warranty sticker without a second thought!
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 February 2012, 16:03:26 by Jamesbeat »

Offline kps

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 16:49:53 »
Quote from: Jamesbeat;525879
I consider a warranty from a manufacturer in a different country to be pretty much useless simply because of the hassle and shipping times, so I would have punched through that warranty sticker without a second thought!

When I had the above-mentioned bouncing switch, Kinesis offered me three options:
  • Send the keyboard back for repair. (Slow and expensive, since I'm in Canada and they ship UP$)
  • Open the keyboard, remove the keywell, and send it back for repair. (Lighter, but still slow.)
  • Have them send me a replacement switch, and solder it myself.

Naturally I took the third option. Both 2 and 3 were a pleasant surprise in this day of 'no user-serviceable parts' and obstructionist screw heads.

Offline Jamesbeat

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 16:55:11 »
Wow, a manufacturer who doesn't treat its customers like morons!
I've often tried to buy a part for something, only to be told that they aren't sold to the public because we're too stupid to replace them ourselves, (I'm paraphrasing here) so it was refreshing to read that.

+1 to Kinesis

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 17:40:01 »
Quote from: thegunner100;525855
You can get individual switches here: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts-1.html

If you have a majestouch 1, then you wont have to desolder the switch to get it out. Otherwise... then you'll have to.
Pretty sure mj1 are also plate mounted. So he will need to desolder
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 18:12:43 »
And about the 14-year-old girls in Malaysia - after putting down thousands of switches a day for months, I dare say that most of them could probably replace switches far faster than most members of this forum, including me.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sordna

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 01:54:40 »
Quote from: kps;525935
When I had the above-mentioned bouncing switch, Kinesis offered me three options:
  • Send the keyboard back for repair. (Slow and expensive, since I'm in Canada and they ship UP$)
  • Open the keyboard, remove the keywell, and send it back for repair. (Lighter, but still slow.)
Naturally I took the third option. Both 2 and 3 were a pleasant surprise in this day of 'no user-serviceable parts' and obstructionist screw heads.

Cool, I also loved it when I ordered some parts and the lady on the phone told me to note that solder is not included. The "Engineering" point of view is even built into the Kinesis sales dept, not just their tech support.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Henry Allen Venture

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 03:09:33 »
Back to what the OP was saying:

Quote from: Aardwolf;525798
How long did your keyboard survive without problems?

My original Majestouch (a.k.a. Majestouch 1) has lasted through almost three years of constant punishment. The thing is nearly invincible.
I've usually got A1 sized plans laid out on my desk at work, which I often just throw across the keyboard. While I can't see it, I often drop heavy files or books on top of it by accident, and it hasn't given up on me yet. I've also splashed coffee over it (never a deep spill, just a light spattering) a couple of times, and it still works like the day I got it. Its really dirty, but still works like a charm. I've bought a bunch more mechanical keyboards since, but I don't really love any of them like I do my Filco.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: You must be really unlucky. As some of the guys have said before, if blowing the switch housing out with compressed air doesn't work, all you have to do is swap the switch, and you should be good as new again.
Current collection:
Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
IBM Model M 52G9700
Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 18:39:42 »
Electronic gear is notoriously unpredictable. Sometimes it craps out almost immediately, and sometimes just lasts and lasts.

Case in point - I had a Kingston flash drive, probably bought about 2007, which I used regularly for at least a year. My 12-year-old daughter needed one for school, and I let her have it. Being a careless kid, she left it in her pocket.

I put it through the laundry - washer and dryer - twice!

Not a problem. That was a couple of years ago, and it is STILL working flawlessly.

The lesson I took away from that is: who knows what will happen?

and - PS - I always buy Kingston flash drives now !
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 18:50:20 »
Quote from: kps;525935

could you keep the warranty?

Offline gladiusgg

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 01:20:33 »
mech kb is still so much better than rubber dome kb. its repairable and tonnes of fun to type with!

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 01:34:37 »
There are still Apple Extended II's, Model M's, and 20 year old Cherry keyboards that still work perfectly fine to this day.
Generalizing a chattering Filco with all mechanical keyboards is a little overdoing it don't you think?

Did you fix it yet?
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline Bass

• Formerly Forte
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 01:45:05 »
I have had on and off chattering problems with my Choc Mini, as well as my roomate with his Filco. I can definitely confirm that most of the time it is simply because the switch gets dirty. An application of compressed air generally did the trick each time, though some of the offending keys were quite stubborn. If all else fails and you don't want to go through soldering, there are several AHK scripts out there that can help filter out any chatter, though they come at the price of limiting your typing speed.