Author Topic: [GB] KBDfans Tiger 80 Mechanical Keyboard Kit  (Read 9069 times)

Offline kbdfans

• * Vendor
[GB] KBDfans Tiger 80 Mechanical Keyboard Kit
« on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 04:01:27 »
KBDfans Tiger 80 Mechanical Keyboard Kit
Group buy date: From May 15th to Jun 15th, 2022
Estimate shipping time: 3-6 months after Group Buy ends

Price List
General - starting from 225 USD
E-coating White - starting from 245 USD
Deep Space - starting from 245 USD
Arctic Sky - starting from 245 USD

Tiger 80 Sound Test

The Tiger 80 in render

Specification

-Layout: 80%
-PCB: Hotswapable, Flex Cut, 1.2 mm thickness, RGB underglow, QMK firmware, USB-C interface
-Case: Top and Bottom Aluminum Case
-Plate: Polycarbonate
-Structure: Leaf spring mount
-Typing angle: 7°
-Compatibility: MX-type switches
-keyboard Size: 358 mm x 134 mm
-Tape Mode Size: 347 mm x 116 mm
-Designer: Wei

Color Options

Accessories

Plate

Layout Options

INCLUDE
-Aluminum Top and Bottom case x1
-Polycarbonate plate x1
-PCB x1
-PCB foam x1
-Switch pads x1
-Silicone socks set x1
-Tape mod x1
-Cherry Screw-in stabilizer kit x1
-Carrying case x1
-Stabilizers foam sticker x1
-USB-C cable x1
-Rubber feet x1

Keyboard Structure

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] KBDfans Tiger 80 Mechanical Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 10:24:02 »
approved
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 15:42:02 »
No WKL is sad, no solder is sad, no sound test without foam is sad
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2022, 15:44:13 by Neely_12 »

Offline hottnucks

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 17:57:05 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2022, 18:02:43 by hottnucks »

Offline Backspace2

• Third most used key on the keyboard is Backspace!
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 23:06:55 »
I like it! Not a huge fan of that engraving though.
Yes

Offline BasedCoper

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 May 2022, 23:03:01 »
Almost looked okay till I saw KBDSins

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 May 2022, 23:14:09 »
shame there is no WKL option, also this seems to employ a similar mount to that of the Mr. Suit from OwLab, will it be compatible with the "socks" for the Mr. Suit or will we be forced to use the ones from KBDFans?
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 May 2022, 19:57:19 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline butre

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 May 2022, 00:16:44 »
way more interested in the tiger lite tbh

Offline BUTTER KEYBOARDS

• BUTTER KEYBOARDS
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 May 2022, 20:08:57 »

You don't like KBD?

Offline BasedCoper

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 May 2022, 21:54:14 »

You don't like KBD?

Let's just say they'll give you a $5 coupon for your board not having a USB port or having a huge chunk messed up. Up to you to decide if that's worth it.

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 May 2022, 23:46:00 »
Wei: "Yes."

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 May 2022, 04:18:17 »
I like it. Ordered one.
Budget board with nice mount, sound test was cool, sounds good.
Bouncy bouncy... :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Handke

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 May 2022, 06:09:28 »
there's no ISO

Offline BUTTER KEYBOARDS

• BUTTER KEYBOARDS
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 May 2022, 12:30:09 »

You don't like KBD?

Damn for real? I've had 3 boards from them never had an issue.

Let's just say they'll give you a $5 coupon for your board not having a USB port or having a huge chunk messed up. Up to you to decide if that's worth it.

Offline PancakeGoon

• *•° tape hiss *•~
    • goonf!sh.beets~
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 May 2022, 23:44:08 »
I'm, uhh, just gonna squeeze this in here real quick...
*No WKL—yet still managing to blueball us with this striptease-layout by narrowing the entire board down to, of all things; a SINGLE, 7u-only bottom-row—is sad, …
+ No ISO Enter supportnot even sans split-L_Shift—is sad.
+ Tsangan bottom-row as the only option, and not at least allowing split-R_Shift, or split-BS, or even stepped-CapsLock—is sad*weird.
    And this is one of those occasional situations where I think lacking available alternative layouts alone might be enough to make me consider passing up... Even when considering the materials & the typefeel's lively potential.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2022, 23:13:08 by PancakeGoon »

Offline BUTTER KEYBOARDS

• BUTTER KEYBOARDS
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 May 2022, 16:49:25 »
I'm, uhh, just gonna squeeze this in here real quick...
*No WKL—yet still managing to blueball us with this striptease-layout by narrowing the entire board down to, of all things; a SINGLE, 7u-only bottom-row—is sad, …
+ No ISO Enter supportnot even sans split-L_Shift—is sad.
+ Tsangan bottom-row as the only option, and not at least allowing split-R_Shift, or split-BS, or even stepped-CapsLock—is sad*weird.
    And this is one of those occasional situations where I think lcking available alternative layouts alone might be enough to make me consider passing up... Even when considering the materials & the typefeel's lively potential.

I understand custom keebs is all about options but if not having ISO enter or no WKL option is that big of an issue for you then just get a different keyboard. Personally I prefer the Tiger 80 layout but I'm not commenting on every 80% keyboard GB that doesn't offer it... I just say oh dang and find another brand that has what I like... Luckly the Tiger 80 has everything I want a good price, good quility, and ANSI, WK layout.

Offline PancakeGoon

• *•° tape hiss *•~
    • goonf!sh.beets~
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 05:20:35 »
... I understand custom keebs is all about options but if not having ISO enter or no WKL option is that big of an issue for you then just get a different keyboard ...

Hm?
What I actually said: "I think [the lack of available layouts] might be enough for me to consider *getting a different keyboard."
...Personally I prefer the Tiger 80 layout... but I'm not commenting on every 80% keyboard GB that doesn't offer it... I just say oh dang and find another brand that has what I like...

That's great and all that you found your P r e f e r e n c e™ and stick by it, but what the hell are you even on about here?! Where do you see this!

Putting aside the weirdly-protective "If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothin' at all"-argument, and ignoring that it's for a company (or an entire hobby, the argument can be made) who largely base their design-process using the standard "tell me what you like, what you hate & what you want"-crowd sourcing system; Did it ever cross your mind that maybe I wanted to join this group buy, and just don't want to spend over $250 on a board that I don't think is aesthetically pleasing?
    Go ahead, find even one other example of me commenting negatively about the value of—literally—ANY other keyboard IC, in ANY form-factor, because of its layout options... otherwise you got bent outta shape because a stranger felt that a one-layout keyboard was a missed opportunity. :rolleyes:

Could've just hit me with a quick "oh dang" & rode that high horse off to find a thread that had some opinions you like...
Luckly the Tiger 80 has everything I want...

˙˙˙˙ɯɯɯɯɥ
    ----------
    Honestly though, if you just held off on jumping to assumptions (every single person has their own "priority list" of what's important to consider & what's not, and it changes over time constantly to boot. And that's good in the grand scheme), you'd find out, that I really do like almost everything else about this board, and have been excited for it's release. Price, tactility & acoustic tech, the hardware itself looks great (other than looking a bit... "awkwardly"-plain in the cheeks), and yeah the price is more than reasonable compared to other options. But I'm already too close to having more builds in the collection than I have space (and probably close to that again in half-finished & still-unopened builds, in a few cases... ). I don't want "close enough".

Just for a matter of record while we're here (and because my G+T's are wearing-off), this is all coming from someone who's 80% a 40's-degen. Yet I've been on the Notice List for this board since it was pre-IC, and have spent more than my fair share with them. I typed this whole goddamn spiel on a KBD67Lite so no, I clearly don't have an inherent problem with KBDfans either; or at least I don't when they actually manage to keep to their own freely-chosen words, and even when if they don't—or can't—yeah it's exactly the kinda **** I signed up for, but unfortunately, it became increasingly obvious that, on the best days, there was a "lack of obligation" felt towards customers who've already paid when things do go south.—including keeping their "donors" in the dark about, well, everything. Total silence. (of-which I have first-hand experience, myself also being one of the poor saps waiting on an ePBT Camo D60Lite and soon to be celebrating the 1-year Anniversary of the expected delivery date! )
    Only alternative is getting barked at by their condescending mods in their Discord server. "Yes, the vague update saying 'someone doesn't like something about the molds, so we started over. No, I don't know what was wrong specifically.' that was silently added 7-months ago is still the case, what are you ****ing slow?"

It's all good, though - I'll just join when it comes back in more interesting finishes & the rest of the features it should've had. :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2022, 05:33:58 by PancakeGoon »

Offline BUTTER KEYBOARDS

• BUTTER KEYBOARDS
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 13:21:05 »
... I understand custom keebs is all about options but if not having ISO enter or no WKL option is that big of an issue for you then just get a different keyboard ...

Hm?
What I actually said: "I think [the lack of available layouts] might be enough for me to consider *getting a different keyboard."
...Personally I prefer the Tiger 80 layout... but I'm not commenting on every 80% keyboard GB that doesn't offer it... I just say oh dang and find another brand that has what I like...

That's great and all that you found your P r e f e r e n c e™ and stick by it, but what the hell are you even on about here?! Where do you see this!

Putting aside the weirdly-protective "If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothin' at all"-argument, and ignoring that it's for a company (or an entire hobby, the argument can be made) who largely base their design-process using the standard "tell me what you like, what you hate & what you want"-crowd sourcing system; Did it ever cross your mind that maybe I wanted to join this group buy, and just don't want to spend over $250 on a board that I don't think is aesthetically pleasing?
    Go ahead, find even one other example of me commenting negatively about the value of—literally—ANY other keyboard IC, in ANY form-factor, because of its layout options... otherwise you got bent outta shape because a stranger felt that a one-layout keyboard was a missed opportunity. :rolleyes:

Could've just hit me with a quick "oh dang" & rode that high horse off to find a thread that had some opinions you like...
Luckly the Tiger 80 has everything I want...

˙˙˙˙ɯɯɯɯɥ
    ----------
    Honestly though, if you just held off on jumping to assumptions (every single person has their own "priority list" of what's important to consider & what's not, and it changes over time constantly to boot. And that's good in the grand scheme), you'd find out, that I really do like almost everything else about this board, and have been excited for it's release. Price, tactility & acoustic tech, the hardware itself looks great (other than looking a bit... "awkwardly"-plain in the cheeks), and yeah the price is more than reasonable compared to other options. But I'm already too close to having more builds in the collection than I have space (and probably close to that again in half-finished & still-unopened builds, in a few cases... ). I don't want "close enough".

Just for a matter of record while we're here (and because my G+T's are wearing-off), this is all coming from someone who's 80% a 40's-degen. Yet I've been on the Notice List for this board since it was pre-IC, and have spent more than my fair share with them. I typed this whole goddamn spiel on a KBD67Lite so no, I clearly don't have an inherent problem with KBDfans either; or at least I don't when they actually manage to keep to their own freely-chosen words, and even when if they don't—or can't—yeah it's exactly the kinda **** I signed up for, but unfortunately, it became increasingly obvious that, on the best days, there was a "lack of obligation" felt towards customers who've already paid when things do go south.—including keeping their "donors" in the dark about, well, everything. Total silence. (of-which I have first-hand experience, myself also being one of the poor saps waiting on an ePBT Camo D60Lite and soon to be celebrating the 1-year Anniversary of the expected delivery date! )
    Only alternative is getting barked at by their condescending mods in their Discord server. "Yes, the vague update saying 'someone doesn't like something about the molds, so we started over. No, I don't know what was wrong specifically.' that was silently added 7-months ago is still the case, what are you ****ing slow?"

It's all good, though - I'll just join when it comes back in more interesting finishes & the rest of the features it should've had. :p

oh dang.