geekhack Community > Input Devices

Best trackball for person with arthritis

<< < (2/4) > >>

kidviddy:
Just chiming in to say I've been using the Kensington Expert wireless model on macOS with no issues, and I love it! The official Kensington software works fine on macOS, but SteerMouse gives you a few extra options which allowed me to make better use of the four buttons. Definitely recommended!

The wireless model comes with a little wrist rest that attaches to the bottom, which I found makes the trackball much more comfortable to use. Does the wired model come with something similar? I'm thinking of getting a second one for the office, and considering the wired model so I don't have to faff about with batteries.

AlphaStudios:
I agree the Kensington looks like it might do the trick!! - Many thanks for the well reasoned inputs.

Stupidface:

--- Quote from: kidviddy on Mon, 23 May 2022, 18:15:36 ---The wireless model comes with a little wrist rest that attaches to the bottom, which I found makes the trackball much more comfortable to use.

--- End quote ---

I must say I like the way the red trackball looks on the Expert wireless:

(Photo credit: not me.)

Very striking.

--- Quote from: kidviddy on Mon, 23 May 2022, 18:15:36 ---Does the wired model come with something similar?

--- End quote ---

I cannot speak to Kensington's current offerings, but I know the older wired models were originally sold with a wrist rest and you can easily find these on offer:

(photo credit: someone else)

The wrist rest on the Expert seems to be one of those accessories that tends to go walkies if you do not leave it attached to the unit.

--- Quote from: kidviddy on Mon, 23 May 2022, 18:15:36 ---I'm thinking of getting a second one for the office, and considering the wired model so I don't have to faff about with batteries.

--- End quote ---

In the interest of guiding the OP in his search, how often do you have to replace batteries on the wireless?  I'm guessing you use Eneloops, is that right?

kidviddy:

--- Quote from: Stupidface on Tue, 24 May 2022, 19:01:12 ---In the interest of helping the OP along, how often do you have to replace batteries on the wireless?  I'm guessing you use Eneloops, is that right?

--- End quote ---

I do use Eneloops! Tbh I haven’t kept track of how frequently I replace them, but I feel like it’s only been a handful of times in the ~1.5 years I’ve been using the trackball. Maybe once every 4-6 months? Could be less than that, even.

Stupidface:

--- Quote from: kidviddy on Tue, 24 May 2022, 19:15:36 ---I do use Eneloops! Tbh I haven’t kept track of how frequently I replace them, but I feel like it’s only been a handful of times in the ~1.5 years I’ve been using the trackball. Maybe once every 4-6 months? Could be less than that, even.

--- End quote ---

That sounds perfectly reasonable.  I have heard stories of some of the newer wireless mice/trackballs gobbling batteries, which is why I ask.

(Eneloops are brilliant, aren't they?  It's great being able to run all your wireless gear for only a few pence a go; can't imagine how I ever got along without them.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version