Author Topic: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Axios [In Development]  (Read 660170 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Axios [In Development]
« Reply #1750 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 23:37:37 »
We've been in contact with a couple of shops already, including the local one I've mentioned a few times who we'll be working with through the final design changes to ensure we've got a proper timeline. Currently we're still aiming to handle pretty much everything but the injection molding in house which shortens our production timeline since we're not sitting a queue with other projects. We're still aiming for a 6 month delivery from the end of the campaign, with the possibility of much sooner if things go well through the final design steps.

As for the firmware, it wouldn't be TMK through mbed, it would just be TMK, or possibly a fork of TMK, depending on what we're finding for the final functionality. It's really tough to say until I've got the latest controllers in hand, but I've got some work arounds coming in the meantime. What is it that you like better about TMK specifically njbair?
I find it easier to do complex layouts and layer configurations with TMK. There were some simple things I couldn't figure out how to do with the Infinity firmware, although I'm sure there's a way. I suppose the key is hasu's great support for his software.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jamadagni

« Reply #1751 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 00:16:10 »
My wallet is ready. Gimme now, or else... ;-)

Offline louiscarter88

« Reply #1752 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 05:03:14 »
Will we be able to buy only one half to use for a gaming pad? (think razer orbweaver replacement)

Offline BigDov

« Reply #1753 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 19:40:06 »
Looking forward to seeing this materialize on CrowdSupply, or anywhere else for that matter - struggling with some early CTS and have started looking to an ErgoDox or similar, then stumbled on this. Can not wait!
ergodox w/ MX Blues & Granite R4 + grifiti wrist rests || CM Storm QFR w/ Reds & black PBT laser-etched caps

Offline shogun007

« Reply #1754 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:05:50 »
This looks amazing.  Good luck on your venture! I know how scary it can be to set out on your own!  I'm excited to support and buy this as soon as it's available!

Cheers!

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #1755 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 18:04:35 »
This setup is pretty awesome to look at. It wouldn't be very hard to give it a control command center look make it look like it came straight off the Starship Enterprise.

Offline jeep

« Reply #1756 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 17:12:15 »
As we come into November...with early December hot on its heels, I am excited to see what progress happens here.

Offline torwag

« Reply #1757 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 02:41:26 »
Hi,

any news? Christmas is coming and we all need to know, do we have to go cheap this year with gifts for our loved once, to save money for the new keyboard? ;)

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #1758 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 22:02:36 »
Well, Im late to the party but this thing looks amazing. Ill be keeping a close eye on this project moving foward and you can expect a pile of money from me when the thing is ready for purchase. Good luck on getting it all done!

Offline conandy

« Reply #1759 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 16:41:34 »
I hate to say it but I just ordered an ErgoDox from Feng on ebay, because my TEK is dying.  keeps getting more and more keys that either don't register or double press, usually one then the other. 

Was really hoping for an Axios, but since this has turned into multiple years of waiting, I couldn't hold out any longer.  I can't type on a "normal" keyboard anymore, so decided to try the ErgoDox. 

Still want an Axios.  Still plan to get one when they become real.  Keep on truckin', Acidfire.

Offline Sciurid89

« Reply #1760 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 17:00:16 »
I hate to say it but I just ordered an ErgoDox from Feng on ebay, because my TEK is dying.  keeps getting more and more keys that either don't register or double press, usually one then the other. 

Was really hoping for an Axios, but since this has turned into multiple years of waiting, I couldn't hold out any longer.  I can't type on a "normal" keyboard anymore, so decided to try the ErgoDox. 

Still want an Axios.  Still plan to get one when they become real.  Keep on truckin', Acidfire.

I better order two Axios, then - I use a TEK at work and at home. It's pretty good, but I would love more thumb buttons. Also, it will be nice to have options for the thumb height - the raised thumb keys on the TEK are just a bit annoying.

I can type on a normal keyboard, but it's hell on the fingers.

Offline Koren

« Reply #1761 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 08:19:20 »
I better order two Axios, then - I use a TEK at work and at home. It's pretty good, but I would love more thumb buttons. Also, it will be nice to have options for the thumb height - the raised thumb keys on the TEK are just a bit annoying.

I can type on a normal keyboard, but it's hell on the fingers.
I'm currently using more and more an Ergo-EZ (and playing with its firmware), but I hate the thumb clusters (and especially 90° rotated keycaps) nearly as much as I used to when I first tried the Ergodox.

I really, really hope I'll be able to switch it for an Axios soon! I'm pretty sure it'll be far more comfortable.

Offline MortimerSnurd

« Reply #1762 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 16:19:08 »
This project looks very promising.  What is the eta on launch?  What is the projected cost of a finished board/kit?  I am in the market for one of these right now!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1763 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 17:07:55 »
this is very impressive. The ErgoDox definitley needs something to make it more comfortable. Fantastic work.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Jette

« Reply #1764 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:26:06 »
Have there been any developments since October? I'm still looking forward to this project, it would be a considerable improvement over the Ergodox.

I counted out the original keys (based on my preferred design, here), and it even beats out the illustrious Maltron keyboard for keys per hand (the Axios offers 49 keys per hand; the Maltron only offers 42). This is huge, considering the space saved, the greater flexibility (since the two halves are kept apart), and the price difference (one assumes [i.e. hopes] they won't charge $600 for the Axios).

Offline Koren

« Reply #1765 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 08:12:15 »
Have there been any developments since October?
Most probably, if AcidFire is fine, since I think he intended to invest a lot of time in this... Can't wait to see how it progressed.

and the price difference (one assumes [i.e. hopes] they won't charge $600 for the Axios).
It has been said that the price may be comparable to a 'Dox (200-250$). If that's still the case, I'm sure it'll get plently of buyers when it releases...

Offline tups

« Reply #1766 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 10:40:45 »
I'd still love to get my hands on one of these... probably going to have to get a second ErgoDox though because there's only so long I can wait.

Tried the TEK once and sent it back. Too clunky.

Offline Dynamo

« Reply #1767 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 07:52:34 »
Any updates? Over four months since we heard from Acidfire. I hope he is ok!

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #1768 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 08:01:14 »

+1! This is a super interesting project that has me reconsidering getting an Ergodox, can't wait to see where it goes!

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1769 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 18:45:03 »
FIrst time seeing this.

I would consider a Ergodox if I could get one with a lower thumb cluster like yours.

I hope I can snag one of these when you finish the PCB design.

Offline MrKaishi

« Reply #1770 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 21:58:49 »
Just dropping a note that I'm also very interested in this keyboard, would love it if a kit was offered.

Offline Piotr Dobrogost

« Reply #1771 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 00:55:42 »

Would like to hear from Acidfire, too. Since his last announcement when he said he started to work on this project full-time I assumed we were going to have more frequent updates but instead we got nothing for over four months...
Can someone ping Acidfire?

Offline Koren

« Reply #1772 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 05:16:22 »
Would like to hear from Acidfire, too. Since his last announcement when he said he started to work on this project full-time I assumed we were going to have more frequent updates but instead we got nothing for over four months...
Can someone ping Acidfire?
The keyboard will come when it's ready, but I also hope he and his family are fine, I wasn't expecting such a gap either :/

Offline Gid

• ... morning already?
« Reply #1773 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 22:52:38 »
One of AcidFire's last posts mentions getting married and quitting his job.  I know what it's like to get bogged down in drastic lifestyle changes, and he just went through two of the biggest... This keyboard, however, is worth waiting for.  Here's hoping for the best.

Offline jamadagni

« Reply #1774 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 21:04:03 »
Hmm. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait for this. At least if there are some consistent and reasonably frequent (even once a month) progress updates we can expect something. As it is, how are we to know AcidFire still is even interested in this?

If it were merely a hobby, then we don't have the right to expect anything. However, he said he was turning into this as a full time commercial venture even to the extent of quitting his job for it. But you only retain prospective customers if you keep them informed of the upcoming product… 😧

Offline Koren

« Reply #1775 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 04:05:19 »
One of AcidFire's last posts mentions getting married and quitting his job.  I know what it's like to get bogged down in drastic lifestyle changes, and he just went through two of the biggest...
Yes, but... he said one of the reasons he was quitting his job was to spend more time on his projects, including Axios. For a drastic change, it doesn't fit so well with four (?) months of silence. Without the job change, I could think he's too busy for updates, but now...

I'm not worried for the project (I'd really, really like to see it done, but I can live without it for sure), but I hope AcidFire and his family are safe and well... I find this long silence disturbing.

Meanwhile, I've bought an Ergo Ez half for comfort (although it's not perfect) and half to work on firmware, so I can wait. But I'd welcome any message like "I'm well but busy". I used to come twice a day for updates, I now come for any news.

Offline sheeap

« Reply #1776 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 00:23:12 »
Looks like a set of new posts today :D: https://m.facebook.com/multiplxd/

Offline Howler

« Reply #1777 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 08:30:44 »

Good eye! I was starting to get really worried about this project. I mean... hoping massdrop does another ergodox infinity drop soon worried. I would much rather get an axios!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1778 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 10:29:55 »
Good eye! I was starting to get really worried about this project. I mean... hoping massdrop does another ergodox infinity drop soon worried. I would much rather get an axios!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-ergodox

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #1779 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 13:48:18 »
Might go with the VE.A instead given it's more what I was actually looking for (function keys in right place, macro keys on the left, non-matrix).  That or just wait for Kinesis to finally get their mech Freestyle out.

Offline Dynamo

« Reply #1780 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 16:25:57 »
Good to see that he is ok, and that the project is moving forward.

Offline Piotr Dobrogost

« Reply #1781 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 15:41:35 »

It's disappointing there are updates on facebook but not a single word posted here, where so many people have been giving their feedback for so long...

Offline vatin

« Reply #1782 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 05:09:52 »
Now infinity Ergodox is live

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

OLKB Planck V6

Offline Koren

« Reply #1783 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 09:54:35 »
Good to see that he is ok.
Yes, me, too. I was beginning to be really worried by this long silence.

Now infinity Ergodox is live
I think Ergodox EZ is a closer alternative (tentable, injection case, etc.) But while EZ is nice, it still has problems shared by all Ergodox, like a bad thumb cluster.

Offline FiskFisk33

« Reply #1784 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 09:57:13 »

It's disappointing there are updates on facebook but not a single word posted here, where so many people have been giving their feedback for so long...

Maybe he got tired of wading through speculations on his demise everytime he came back to post...  :rolleyes:

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #1785 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 12:56:26 »
I've been working on a longer post for you guys. Please don't take offense when I don't update here but do elsewhere, as I tend to put a lot more time and detail into the info I post here over the quick photos I've been putting up on facebook/instagram/twitter. Yes, I'm still working on this project full time, and so very very close to being where I'm comfortable to seek funding for it. As for the silence, there's been a couple of major reasons for it. My wife and I have been trying for a child, and sadly have lost two pregnancies. It has deeply affected both my work and desire to socialize. We've been able to work past it and I plan to be more active in the communities I participate in.

I also came to realize that posting here can affect my development cycle, with simple comments/suggestions trigger major restarts/rethinks in the pursuit of trying to please everyone that were slowing me down, ie the arrow cluster discussions. By taking a step back, I was finally able to work out a number of the design issues I've been fighting with like making the electrical connections in the adjustable arms more robust/user friendly and a workable trackball option. As I mentioned, I've got a long development post in the works that'll cover everything I've been doing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2016, 13:43:39 by AcidFire »

Online kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #1786 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 13:44:23 »
Thanks for the update. I'm very sorry for your loss. I've been very close to similar situations where friends and family have lost their unborn children.

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Offline Koren

« Reply #1787 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 15:12:39 »
Hello AcidFire...

No apologies needed (and I understand how discussions can make things difficult), do things as you see fit. We just feared that something could have happened to you and your family, and I'm sad to hear that it was actually the case. You and your wife have all my sympathy, and I hope there'll be better days soon.

(still excited to hear about the progress, though)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #1788 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 17:30:06 »
Sorry to hear about your loss, AcidFire.  Glad to hear work is progressing on this one as I, like others, have been following this one for some time.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1789 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 01:24:28 »
Sorry for your loss.  Best wishes to you both.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Dynamo

« Reply #1790 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 16:41:28 »
Acidfire, I am sorry for your loss.

But I am glad that you are still around, and that the project is moving forward.

Offline Scoox

« Reply #1791 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 13:54:30 »
Hey AcidFire, glad to see you back. Best wishes to the two of you.

Offline morrijr

« Reply #1792 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 13:43:04 »
Hi,

Another 'subscribed just for this thread' user here :)

I had a thought/question and wanted to put it out to see if it would be possible.

The switches (if I've read things correctly) are plate mounted. Would it be possible to use a PCB as the plate? If so, then adding the RGB leds to it should be easy; loads of room and high in the 'stack' of layers for good visibility.

Footprint would be identical to the board that the switches are soldered onto so cost the same and the fabricator would cut the holes too.

Reasonable?

J.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2016, 13:58:14 by morrijr »

Offline jleechpe

« Reply #1793 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 16:48:29 »
Have there been any further updates anywhere since the last that AcidFire said here?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1794 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 07:05:16 »
The latest update, that I've found, is from July.

Offline Dynamo

« Reply #1795 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 21:03:50 »
What happened to this project? Is it dead? Acidfire turned silent a long time ago. Too bad, since it looked like an interesting product.

Offline conandy

« Reply #1796 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 22:35:14 »
Acidfire's last post on facebook was May 2016.  He was still working, obviously, at that time.   Be nice to find out if he is still working on this. 

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #1797 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 13:31:30 »
Very much still working on this! And I know, completely terrible for a total derth of posts :( In the time I've been quiet we've welcomed into the world my beautiful little girl, Kaylee just at the end of December.  With that, I had to rejoin the work force as my wife is on maternity leave. That's kept me busy since then. Before that, I was making progress but it was slow and frustrating, making it a bit difficult to write about... nothing.

However, I have managed to cover off a number of frustrating road blocks now that I have steady access to mechanical engineers at work who are happy to trade time on personal projects. First, I have a stand design that I'm very happy with that is both supportive and adjustable. This has always been a point of extreme frustration as the adjustable & modular nature of Axios has prevented what should be standard and easy support designs from working out. Second, I have finally been able to source the pins I've been wanting to use to make the arm mounts so that you won't have to take cases apart to reconnect cables. I'm very, very happy with the results so far in testing, especially with a 100% consistency in the electrical connections between swapping parts out.

The other roadblock (or probably more accurately, personal hang up) is the information OLED display. I've been fighting with the design for the mount for awhile, as it felt rather wrong to have it in a fixed position in a design that is otherwise much more modular. As it stands, I'm going to let it go for now and mount it into a spot with the highest visibility, and use a display with the widest viewing angle I can find. If things go well with funding, we'll release it as an upgrade at cost for people who have bought into the first wave, and it'll become standard going forward from there.

The other upside to where I'm working now is spending my days doing mechanical and electrical design, which has greatly improved my skills and workflow, which has been trickling down into the final design of Axios. Happily this includes doing work with the bluetooth modules I've had specced for awhile now :D

So whats left? The big hold up right now is strengthening the case designs. Right now, there is flex with the arm mounts and near the stand mounts that require proper ribbing to be designed for the case. If we were machining them, it'd be a non issue but with an injection molded design we have to design extra strength into the case to combat this. Thankfully I've been helping one of the engineers here with the electronics & coding in exchange for help using some of the software we have access to to do strength analysis and design the ribbing which should fix the problem.

After that's been dealt with, there are a couple of design revisions I need to make with the controller now that I've gotten a lot more experience under my belt and then we're done. Check back later tonight/tomorrow, I'll try to get photos up of what I've been working on in silence.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 17:35:43 by AcidFire »

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #1798 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 15:01:32 »
Congrats on the addition to your family! Can't wait to see the updates!

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #1799 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 01:29:04 »
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter, Kaylee.  Pics!!!

Happy to hear the project is alive.  Very excited to see photos. :)
Visit the Typing Test and try!