Author Topic: "Artisan" keys you can't type on?  (Read 5276 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
"Artisan" keys you can't type on?
« on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 02:38:05 »
Will someone please explain the point of these?:

ZOMO Heavy Artillery Aluminum Keycaps (Massdrop)

Flat keys with little monster faces are one thing—but how could you possibly type on any but the 2nd one of these? Am I missing something, or is there an actual reason to render some of your keys useless?
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 September 2018, 03:07:42 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fanpeople

Re: "Artisan" keys you can't type on?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 02:42:02 »
You can't escape if you can't press escape.

Offline theseusanime

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 02:57:22 »
It all happens along the steps of a ladder that brings to greediness and stupidity, and after a while you suddenly ask yourself when things started to go to sh*t.
It happened with keycaps, where the object lost all its functionality to trasform the keyboard in a simple tray, and it happened with pizza, where the most exotic and stupid ingredients are served (ananas???), annihilating history and tradition, and transforming a product into a simple media,  asserved to the purpose (money) of the "artist", be it an "artisan" maker or a stupid and embarassing chef. So the cause is money, stupidity, and 13 years old buyers.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 September 2018, 03:00:19 by theseusanime »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 03:04:24 »
They look good for num lock, a key you never want to press? (assuming the board has a proper numberpad)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 04:37:46 »
You can't escape if you can't press escape.

Yep, there's that, too.

It all happens along the steps of a ladder that brings to greediness and stupidity, and after a while you suddenly ask yourself when things started to go to sh*t... It happened with keycaps, where the object lost all its functionality to trasform the keyboard in a simple tray, and it happened with pizza, where the most exotic and stupid ingredients are served (ananas???), annihilating history and tradition, and transforming a product into a simple media,  asserved to the purpose (money) of the "artist", be it an "artisan" maker or a stupid and embarassing chef. So the cause is money, stupidity, and 13 years old buyers.

Interesting (and I think I'll have one of whatever you're having), but I still don't get it. It's like buying a car with square wheels.

They look good for num lock, a key you never want to press?

Oh, okay. I'm starting to catch on. You don't actually use them; they're just decorative. No one ever mentions that, though—how are we supposed to know?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Coreda

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 09:05:43 »
The second keycap looks usable, and fairly neat but yeah for some designs it crosses the line over decorative yet functional and they can become purely decorative miniature keyboard sculptures. Each to their own, I don't particularly care much.

Late edit: should clarify the last bit. Meant that I don't have any strong opinion either way on this, since I don't collect caps in general.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 September 2018, 20:30:01 by Coreda »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 03:10:23 »
The second keycap looks usable...

Yup—as I said: "...but how could you possibly type on any but the 2nd one of these?"

...but yeah for some designs it crosses the line over decorative yet functional and they can become purely decorative miniature keyboard sculptures. Each to their own, I don't particularly care much.

Well, till this thread, I had no idea you'd put them only on keys you didn't plan to use. If I didn't know, how many people actually order these and try to type on them? They're not all as un-ergonomic-looking as these... Some of them you probably could type on, but it wouldn't be very comfortable.

Offline livewirerc

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 15:19:38 »
Will someone please explain the point of these?:

Flat keys with little monster faces are one thing—but how could you possibly type on any but the 2nd one of these? Am I missing something, or is there an actual reason to render some of your keys useless?

Per the Massdrop page, the bomb, mask and frying pan are magnetized, and can be removed for actual typing. An interesting way of making them fancy and garish while still somewhat functional.

Offline jamster

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 20:23:32 »
Oh, okay. I'm starting to catch on. You don't actually use them; they're just decorative. No one ever mentions that, though—how are we supposed to know?

I thought everyone knew this- artisans are for gluing the the casing, not for replacing functional keycaps and rendering the key useless or painful to use :)

Really, nothing screams "I don't really use my keyboard very much" like weirdly-shaped artisans.