Author Topic: So I'm kind of a beginner... how to change a number pad?  (Read 4002 times)

Offline geauxflying

So I'm kind of a beginner... how to change a number pad?
« on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 12:36:28 »
So this is my number pad... This is a Unicomp Ultra Classic Model M for Mac, it types pretty nicely, but unfortunately it has the awful Mac number pad layout too...

226446-0

I don't need an extra "=" key, the single "enter" key is sufficient. Having the other modifier keys moved to the right, and the "+" key cut down to a single-size key is really quite annoying to me. I use this all the time as a CPA.

How difficult is it to change this? Mac OS has options to remap certain keys/functions, but not the number pad. I'm otherwise pretty happy with the board. The typing feel is pretty nice.

The only decent mechanical keyboard switches I've been able to find in a keyboard made for Mac is this Unicomp. The Matias Tactile Pro was awful comparatively, I sent it back. Cherry MX switches are also not my favorites... I'd be interested to build a complete keyboard, but I haven't been able to find a full size case other than the $225 case from gonskeyboardworks.com (which seems ridiculous to me). Their complete 108-key custom board is $550 - $600, and the only switch options are Cherry MX :-[. These options don't seem to be good... if anyone knows where I can get a different case/plate/pcb for a 108-key board, that would be good info.

The other option for a mac keyboard might be Das Keyboard 4 pro... but again the only switch options are Cherry MX.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
Re: So I'm kind of a beginner... how to change a number pad?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 12:46:20 »
I will say that having an equals key in the numpad is pretty handy if you do a lot of spreadsheets.  Every formula starts with equals.

That being said, if you're used to a different arrangement, the frustration is understandable.

As to remapping, there are QMK-compatible numpads out in the ether, but if you're trying to remap your existing numpad, that will likely require some software running on your OS.

One option for you might be GMMK.  Their switches are MX-compatible, as the vast majority of switches are these days, but they have a number of varieties from Gateron and Kailh to pick from.  Alternately you can just buy the keyboard on its own without switches, then buy switches elsewhere. It's hot-swappable, so you won't have to solder anything.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2019, 12:49:12 by NoPunIn10Did »

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 13:24:02 »
Hi,

There are a couple places you can do re-mapping. In order of cheap & easy 1st:
  * Hammerspoon (free) - Lives as an app on your mac. Intercepts keys typed before the OS can see them, and you can change the "key values" (or whatever you want to call them). For example the "=" on the num pad is called "pad=" and you can reassign that to "pad/".
  * USB to USB hardware converter. Much the same, but in hardware. Available here (looks like $57):
        https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.msg1751398#msg1751398
  * Build your own. Easier for a programmer than most CPAs, I presume. Cheaper but more time consuming. More things could go wrong:
        https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14618.0;topicseen

Advantage of Hammerspoon is fairly easy. Disadvantage is you have to install it on every Mac you use (if you move your keyboard around).
Advantage of USB to USB is it can stay with your keyboard. Works everywhere without MacOS software.

Good luck. Ask questions. :-)
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2019, 13:42:02 by ErgoMacros »
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 13:30:37 »
remapping software (for mac)
KeyRemap4Macbook - this is the one i'd suggest
DoubleCommand
Karabiner
ControllerMate - is also capable but a little much just to swap a couple keys.

or look for other key remapping software

there is also hasu's wonderful converters. full keyboard remapping for all sorts of protocols even a usb-to-usb adapter

as far as a different keyboard... first figure out what switches you like and don't like. you can use just about any keyboard with your mac. the os supports swapping the modifiers which is one of the main differences (other than the numberpad) plus, if you don't like the mac style numberpad, i'd go with a standard PC keyboard/layout.

going off of this being buckling spring.... you like tactile & clicky and don't mind some noise...
- what about a PC layout unicomp keyboard - would have the 2u + on the numberpad like you are looking for (or older IBM model M's with a converter or replacement controller if needed)
- what about clicky alps
- what about some of the kalith box switches with the click bar (cherry MX compatible)

what about a vintage board & swapping switches if they are not what you want?
- apple extended keyboard I or AEKII (alps - would probably have to undampen & clickmod the AEKII to get closer to your liking)
- dell at101w (alps)
- McAlly MK96 - white clicky alps just a compact layout
- best you're going to get in a vintage MX board would be blue (clicky) or clear (tactile) ....going with that you like buckling springs.

watch some of Thomas's videos & buy some switches to try
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 12:52:57 »
So much good info here, thanks gents!

I agree that I wouldn't absolutely object to the "=" key on the num pad, but I think it shouldn't be where the "/" key goes haha! If they'd replace numlock with "=" instead of clear, that could be good. Clear seems equally unnecessary, and I don't really use the numpad when building excel formulas (building formulas requires parentheses, and cell references that usually require working slowly and not using the numpad).

The GMMK is a good idea. I'll probably order one and see how it goes. It'll be a good way to try out switches if nothing else.

For switches, I don't mind the clicky boards (but my wife does haha). The driver for me is more key feel. I haven't had many boards, or tried many switches, but the clicky switches (even ignoring their sound) seem to have a much more crisp tactility, and maybe it's just me but they seem to have a smoother operation because they aren't trying to smooth out a tactile bump to avoid making a "click." If a quiet board exists that operates smoothly and has crisp tactility, I might be all-in.

I like the model M buckling springs. For the GMMK, from what I'm reading, the Kailh Box Pink switches might be a pleasant way to go for me. I've just been reading that the Kailh Box switches have been cracking keys though... Unless maybe that's been fixed?

If all this fun stuff doesn't work out - I'll probably order a PC version of the unicomp, swap the mac modifiers/F keys, and remap modifiers. Thanks for all the help folks.

Offline nevin

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 13:35:26 »
... on the box switches, novel keys has remedied that, all current stock should be fine.
Thomas explains it in one of his videos. around 13:30
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 17:54:21 »
... on the box switches, novel keys has remedied that, all current stock should be fine.
Thomas explains it in one of his videos. around 13:30
Brilliant, thank you! Guess I'll have to sign up for email notifications, they are sold out hahaha! Thanks again, cheers.

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 18:41:56 »
If all this fun stuff doesn't work out - I'll probably order a PC version of the unicomp, swap the mac modifiers/F keys, and remap modifiers.

Note that it is the macOS that maps Nunlock to Clear. The numlock key in my "windows" keyboard is detected as PADClear when connected to the Mac.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 19:10:18 »
If all this fun stuff doesn't work out - I'll probably order a PC version of the unicomp, swap the mac modifiers/F keys, and remap modifiers.

Note that it is the macOS that maps Nunlock to Clear. The numlock key in my "windows" keyboard is detected as PADClear when connected to the Mac.

Thanks for telling me that - curious how it detects the other keys now... does it correctly recognize the other modifiers from windows keyboard? (/, *, +, -)

Offline nevin

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 19:15:47 »
see what keycodes your mac is receiving Key Codes by Many Tricks https://manytricks.com/keycodes/ (also available in the app store)