Author Topic: Keyboard for school / typing only? What to get, and what switches?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline ViciousWhiskers

Keyboard for school / typing only? What to get, and what switches?
« on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 14:53:03 »
Hey guys!

Currently I have a 104+4 key DS3 with red switches at home and I enjoy it very much. Lately I've been thinking of getting an 87-key keyboard for purely school.
It'll be mostly used for typing and coding, so I was wondering what you guys would suggest. I don't really care about backlighting, so I'm fine with or without; and I can replace the stock keycaps with PBT ones if it comes with ABS by default.

I was wondering which brand to go for in this case, and:
Would you guys suggest MX Clears or MX Browns or Linear switches (i.e. reds like my DS3, or blacks)?
I have used an MX Brown keyboard before and it just felt kind of annoying to have the slight bump when typing at high speeds where it happens to be that I barely notice the tactility, so I was asking if MX Clears (default ones) are better with their tactility at higher speeds (browns kind of feel "broken" when typing at high speeds in my opinion).

Thanks for the suggestions in advance!
Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Keyboard for school / typing only? What to get, and what switches?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 15:04:49 »
I would probably stick with reds if I were you. Reds inside a DS3 TKL, if you can find one! Even a used DS2 would be nice too. I also think there is a Ducky Pro TKL with white blanks somewhere on the classifieds now. Ducky is awesome!

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 15:11:08 »
It depends--do you like your reds for typing? A lot of people (myself included) love linears for typing. If you'd like to try something more tactile, though, I'd recommend picking up a CM QFR if you want the cheapest good quality product or a ducky with PBTs if you want nicer keycaps. Or your could venture into the realm of topre...one of my favorite typing switches. All very subjective though, you'll really have to buy rather blindly to see what you like.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 15:18:19 »
I can't stand typing on my reds. It's best used as a gaming switch imho.
You want a click + tactile switch, like blues
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 15:24:50 »
I can't stand typing on my reds. It's best used as a gaming switch imho.
You want a click + tactile switch, like blues

Not everyone likes blues for typing. They're so...meh. I much prefer to type on topre or 65g blacks.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 15:28:00 »
plate mounted blues with o-rings and POM caps are my favorite combo for typing as of today.  i shall build some ergo clears to see if they are superior soon.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline ViciousWhiskers

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 15:32:58 »
I have tried Browns and Blues. I will not touch Blues, hate the click noise it makes when activated. Browns are quite subtle and hard to notice as stated in my original post. I feel fine typing with reds but feel that I tend to get errors more frequently than on Browns. So that's why I was wondering if maybe a heavier switch such as a Black or maybe a more tactile (non click noise) switch such as Clears would make a better choice?

Knock Knock.
Race Condition.
Who's there?