Author Topic: Poker 2 now or wait for Poker 3  (Read 5616 times)

Offline hking0036

Poker 2 now or wait for Poker 3
« on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 20:35:53 »
Is it worth it to get a Poker II now or should I wait to get a poker 3? Does anyone know the time frame to expect when it's coming out? I've seen February but I've got no idea.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline Ghil

Re: Poker 2 now or wait for Poker 3
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 20:42:40 »
well the poker II is a perfectly fine keyboard, but there's supposed to be news about the III sometime in february, which isn't far at all. I'd wait it out if you already have a mech, if it's your first, definitely get the Poker II, it's a nice little keyboard. :D

Offline hking0036

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 21:01:41 »
It'd be my second. I've got a WASD V2 but I wanted to have something little to carry around, you know. if it really is February then I can wait it out.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 05:11:06 »
Why not both?
I'm having a Poker II and cannot wait for Poker III.
Both are fine boards, I guess.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 06:10:10 »
Why not both?

Exactly this. The Poker II is definitely worth it in my opinion. I got the blue and it's doing work at home. Nice 60% build quality and solid PBT caps with customizability possible.

If you've got the monies, then go for it. I'm also waiting for the Poker III but there isn't a release date yet I think.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline hking0036

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 09:57:51 »
Why not both?
I only have about $140-150 to spend is the issue, so it's one or the other. I can't seem to find the poker 2 on sale anywhere besides eBay and even then they don't come in Browns, so I'm at a loss. At this point I think I'm just gonna hold out for poker 3 news and see what happens.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:07:37 by hking0036 »

Offline hking0036

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:15:13 »
Also there's a guy on reddit trying to hawk me an OTD case with a custom built keyboard in it and I have absolutely no idea how they came to that conclusion. ._. I don't even know what OTD means (at least not yet).

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:18:06 »
Also there's a guy on reddit trying to hawk me an OTD case with a custom built keyboard in it and I have absolutely no idea how they came to that conclusion. ._. I don't even know what OTD means (at least not yet).
OTD is a Korean keyboard forum, and their boards are very expensive. Could you link it?

Offline hking0036

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:26:35 »
OTD is a Korean keyboard forum, and their boards are very expensive. Could you link it?
It was all on private messaging, I'll take some screenshots when I get back on my pc and black out the names or whatever. Regardless thats so far out of my budget I can only imagine it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:28:48 by hking0036 »

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:27:06 »
It was all on private messaging, I'll take some screenshots when I get back on my pc and black out the names or whatever.
Ok, can you recall what the name of the board was?

Offline hking0036

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:46:22 »
It was all on private messaging, I'll take some screenshots when I get back on my pc and black out the names or whatever.
He said the case was OTD EVA. Why, are you looking to get it? :p

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:47:40 »

That's just a keyboard case, I was wondering the board that was in it

Offline hking0036

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:50:38 »

Oh. By the sound of it he plans to order the switches himself and put it together, judging by the comment about 'labor + cost of switches'.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:55:17 »

Oh. By the sound of it he plans to order the switches himself and put it together, judging by the comment about 'labor + cost of switches'.
So he is trying to sell you just the case, or the case & board?

Offline hking0036

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:58:31 »
Cutting all the replies out for the sake of post length.
I honestly have no idea, the wording in these pms is sort of ambiguous. It seems like he started with the case and then offered to put it together, it's weird. Either way I said that I'm not interested because I'm not in the market to drop $300+ on a keyboard atm.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 11:07:00 »

I honestly have no idea, the wording in these pms is sort of ambiguous. It seems like he started with the case and then offered to put it together, it's weird. Either way I said that I'm not interested because I'm not in the market to drop $300+ on a keyboard atm.
Oh, yeah, I would wait for vortex to give more info on the poker 3, I might get one to upgrade my poker 2 if there is a notable difference.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 11:35:34 »

Oh, yeah, I would wait for vortex to give more info on the poker 3, I might get one to upgrade my poker 2 if there is a notable difference.
Yeah, at this point that's what I think I'm gonna do cause February isn't far away. If we don't get a release date or anything I'll get a poker 2.

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 11:59:21 »
Qtan has browns in stock it seems. This is where I ordered mine and it got here in 12 days but I had expedited it. I might've gotten lucky with customs also so.

http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-br/kbc-poker-2-61keys-mechanical-/lid=35050923

He's also a GH member so it's a safe purchase.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 12:10:16 »
Qtan has browns in stock it seems. This is where I ordered mine and it got here in 12 days but I had expedited it. I might've gotten lucky with customs also so.

http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/shop-mechanical-keyboard-by-br/kbc-poker-2-61keys-mechanical-/lid=35050923

Oh man, thanks, I'll keep an eye on it! I think I'll still wait for news but I'm impatient so I might jump on it.

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 12:40:59 »

Oh man, thanks, I'll keep an eye on it! I think I'll still wait for news but I'm impatient so I might jump on it.

No problem. I  mean, maybe you can get this while you wait for Poker III and familiarize yourself with 60% form factor.  If you heavily use the normal arrow cluster of full-sized boards, then I'd reconsider though, as it's a bit of work on the Poker II. Of course, this is subjective. 

I'd say, give it some thought if you already haven't. Look at the details and decide.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 13:25:49 »

No problem. I  mean, maybe you can get this while you wait for Poker III and familiarize yourself with 60% form factor.  If you heavily use the normal arrow cluster of full-sized boards, then I'd reconsider though, as it's a bit of work on the Poker II. Of course, this is subjective. 

I'd say, give it some thought if you already haven't. Look at the details and decide.
I guess there's no better time to learn how to use vim, then. In all seriousness I like to use the arrow keys a decent amount but I'll just as quickly use the scroll wheel. I do like to use them when I'm editing text documents pretty well but I can probably do without. It just seems like such a convenient option compared to a TKL in terms of portability. Also, about the Browns I hear smack about them a lot. I don't know if it's worth getting clears for the extra weight or not. I'm pretty happy with blues and the brown seems like a logical progression but I dunno with all these comments about the scratchiness.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 03:24:54 »
If you plan to carry it around, do you care much about the weight?

The current Poker II comes with a plastic case and is fairly light, whereas I believe the Poker 3 will have an aluminium case. From the images posted so far by Vortex it looks like the case Pexon has been selling.

I have 2 60% keyboards, one of which I carry with me to work daily (depending which one I feel like using). I have a KBT Pure Limited Edition (aluminium case, IMSTO plate added) and a built up custom (GON NerD60) using the Pexon case. Both of them are quite heavy since both have an aluminium case. I carry them in a backpack, so the weight is not an issue.

If you don't mind about the weight, I would definitely wait for the Poker 3, at least for an official list of specifications. The improvement in typing feel of a good aluminium case is well worth it.

If you're after a really compact mechanical board to carry around more easily, though, I'm working on one... https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66836.0

Will still be quite a long while before they're ready, though.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 13:56:23 »
If you plan to carry it around, do you care much about the weight?

The current Poker II comes with a plastic case and is fairly light, whereas I believe the Poker 3 will have an aluminium case. From the images posted so far by Vortex it looks like the case Pexon has been selling.

I have 2 60% keyboards, one of which I carry with me to work daily (depending which one I feel like using). I have a KBT Pure Limited Edition (aluminium case, IMSTO plate added) and a built up custom (GON NerD60) using the Pexon case. Both of them are quite heavy since both have an aluminium case. I carry them in a backpack, so the weight is not an issue.

If you don't mind about the weight, I would definitely wait for the Poker 3, at least for an official list of specifications. The improvement in typing feel of a good aluminium case is well worth it.

If you're after a really compact mechanical board to carry around more easily, though, I'm working on one... https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66836.0

Will still be quite a long while before they're ready, though.
I went ahead and got a poker 2 with ergo clears just because I don't know the day when a poker 3 will come out with mx clears. Also nice design on your keyboard, but it's just too small for me, I think 60% is about the lowest I can go before I start to lose all the function I need.

Also, if aluminum cases really are that great I might look into one in the future sometime, who knows.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 January 2015, 13:59:53 by hking0036 »

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 13:59:07 »
Both

Offline hking0036

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 14:10:49 »
Both
I don't have all the money you guys have

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 14:31:13 »
Both
the problem is ... we don't have it either  :'(

Offline derb2k2

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 15:00:02 »
Both
the problem is ... we don't have it either  :'(

yep. I have to recover from purchasing HHKB but luckily, I think it'll be in time for the Pok3r. hehe

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 15:10:53 »
Fixed.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 15:13:52 »
Fixed.

Wait.... How'd I get into this thread?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 15:25:34 »
If you can't afford them both then just wait or try to find and  buy a used poker 2, save a little for the poker 3.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 15:48:02 »
If you can't afford them both then just wait or try to find and  buy a used poker 2, save a little for the poker 3.
I managed to get a brand new Poker 2 with clears for $100 from someone, I sent it off to get modded so it'll be round in a few weeks I'm sure.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 15:48:59 »
Fixed.

Wait.... How'd I get into this thread?
Through the magic of tabs I'm sure.
Nice typing speed btw

Offline hyperboloid

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 01:28:07 »
if it's your first, definitely get the Poker II, it's a nice little keyboard. :D

I do't quite understand why. I also choose my first mech kb between Poker2 and Pok3r...