Author Topic: RAMA WORKS U80-A  (Read 48580 times)

Offline DiGatto

Re: RAMA WORKS U80-A
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 20:35:33 »
Ready to buy tarnished for the full price, actually I don't care about them) if someone ready to sell I ready to buy for the full price

They will prabably be some for sale on reddit or ebay soon - people just started to receive them all over the world.

It will depend how they will try to fix

Offline FionaC

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 00:45:22 »
What do you guys think is a reasonable price for a new U80-a on mechmarket?
Also I see above someone mentioned R2 will be coming soon, is that true? If so I will just wait for R2 instead of paying double for one now  :)

Offline shansoft

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 03:01:59 »
My milk bottom weight is also scratched from both bottom edge. It's obvious that it could be a handling issue since the scratches are symmetries.

Offline ArashiNishi

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 08:40:20 »
Also I see above someone mentioned R2 will be coming soon, is that true? If so I will just wait for R2 instead of paying double for one now  :)

I read that they will have a R2 for U80-A "soon", but first they will run a R2 for M65-B, so it will take some time...
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2020, 09:32:53 by ArashiNishi »

Offline ArashiNishi

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 09:31:33 »
Pics of my port U80-A. Two pics of the tarnish on the weight. The difference in color between the DMG purple/pink and the case color isn't as drastic in person as it is in the photo.

I am on the same boat as you. My weight came tarnished and scratched.
Did you alert Rama about this?
I tried their ticketing portal but it seems broken. I've tried to login with store account but it seems like you need a different registration. I submitted a ticket and now I can't complete registration to check on the ticket lol!

My weight is the same (Port U80).I wonder if it is only affecting the Rose Gold weights? Haven't seen anyone else bring up the issue with any other colour.

(Attachment Link)
My port got tarnishes too. I thought mine was bad.. until I see this.

I contacted Rama last week and they're willing to send a replacement, but yesterday they emailed me an update saying that it looks like it's a problem with this particular batch so I assumed there're plenty of weights with this problem. They're collating the numbers and will need some time to produce the replacement.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for updating this thread.
That is good to know and at the very least, it sounds like they are willing to correct the problems.
Aside from the weight tarnishing issue, the results from anodising is very hard to fault.

I have Moon version and don't think it has this tarnish. It is scratched thou.
I have two small scratches in the bottom of the weight.

Weight is VERY prone to finger prints and staining, but if i clean them a lot, it disappears. Then shows up again... would that be tarnish?

It sounds like it could be the same, but I think if you post some pictures here, you'll get more eyes to see and possibly some feedback from others.

At the end of this post they talk about the problem of tarnish on the PORT weights.
In short, notify them respectfully by email (support@rama.works) or submit a support ticket (https://support.rama.care) and once they know how many are affected, they will produce new weights and send them through DHL express.
If there are problems in other colorways, notify them too about that, maybe it could be more batches affected.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2020, 09:34:15 by ArashiNishi »

Offline DiGatto

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 20:51:39 »

I doubt that some one will sell absolutely new in the perfect condition. I'm ready to buy hotswap version at list for $500 and solderable for $450 with current defects. Everything about the sound.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 18:58:29 »
My U80-A arrived. Milk body, silver plate, silver weight, rose plate rose weight don't seem to have defect after a quick inspection.  Will have to find time to put it together this weekend.  Have Holy Panda switches ready.

Offline shansoft

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 20:28:41 »
Notice something interesting. If i have damper weight, the alpha near A keys have echos, but rest of the alpha does not. Since the damper is right in the middle of keyboard. It caused uneven key sound across the board.....

Offline timbaaa

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 21:51:04 »
My U80-A arrived. Milk body, silver plate, silver weight, rose plate rose weight don't seem to have defect after a quick inspection.  Will have to find time to put it together this weekend.  Have Holy Panda switches ready.

Happy for you that no issues were present. That must be your good karma.
White with RG accents should be a beaut! I'm very curious how your combination turns out.

Notice something interesting. If i have damper weight, the alpha near A keys have echos, but rest of the alpha does not. Since the damper is right in the middle of keyboard. It caused uneven key sound across the board.....

That is a little disappointing at $45. Especially for those who bought it for what was marketed as having an "adjusted acoustic signature".
Does it come across only in quiet environments?
Which switches did you use on your build?

Offline shansoft

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 00:35:54 »

Happy for you that no issues were present. That must be your good karma.
White with RG accents should be a beaut! I'm very curious how your combination turns out.

That is a little disappointing at $45. Especially for those who bought it for what was marketed as having an "adjusted acoustic signature".
Does it come across only in quiet environments?
Which switches did you use on your build?

It does sound pretty good with the damper, the problem is it only works for keys thats on top of it.
Currently using Zilent V2 67g, so the sound of THOCC is very obvious to me. I prefer to take the damper off to make it sound much more consistence.
Overall, I think with middle part taken out and having it hollow makes the board sounds really close Topre, which I really enjoy!

I currently don't have brass internal weight, so I can't really test it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 July 2020, 00:42:12 by shansoft »

Offline djchup

• i write code
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 11:43:27 »
Just built mine, left arrow key doesn't function on my PCB (tried multiple switches).  Also I was shorted a screw.  -_-

Offline litster

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 15:11:33 »
With the internal weight, a completed build of U80-A weights in at 4.23 kg, 9.32 lb.  As a comparison, my previously heaviest keyboard KMAC is less than 6 lb. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 July 2020, 14:53:52 by litster »

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 13:53:15 »
Is there any R2 planned?

Offline litster

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 15:03:46 »
Finished. 

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 15:35:35 »
Is there any R2 planned?

Yes, as soon as Rama finishes delivering first round, they will start second one.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline ratchetcat

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 20:11:12 »
Received my U80-A today. Build went smoothly and I'm pleased with the outcome.

Offline whiskeyjack

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:01:57 »
Beware! Waited over a year for this and all of the screws they sent are completely wrong. Even watched their videos to confirm. Sent 4 screws for 12  holes and then didn't send any screws for the PCB attachment to the base. I now have a $1000 paperweight. Glad I waited all that time.

Offline litster

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:05:12 »
Beware! Waited over a year for this and all of the screws they sent are completely wrong. Even watched their videos to confirm. Sent 4 screws for 12  holes and then didn't send any screws for the PCB attachment to the base. I now have a $1000 paperweight. Glad I waited all that time.

Have you contacted RAMA and did they tell you they are NOT going to send you new screws?

Offline whiskeyjack

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:18:43 »
No I have not tried contacting them. For a company that prides themselves on quality control and doing things right, I shouldn't have to worry about screws missing. When I purchased this through Rama I expected a certain level of professionalism in the product. This isn't a $120 Leopold. Everything should have been in the box. Especially after the wait on this. I might try contacting them, but at this point I don't even care. I've lost all love for this hobby because of this.

Offline litster

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:27:30 »
No I have not tried contacting them. For a company that prides themselves on quality control and doing things right, I shouldn't have to worry about screws missing. When I purchased this through Rama I expected a certain level of professionalism in the product. This isn't a $120 Leopold. Everything should have been in the box. Especially after the wait on this. I might try contacting them, but at this point I don't even care. I've lost all love for this hobby because of this.

If you spend $600 - $700 on a custom keyboard, waited for over a year, finally received it, found out a few screws are missing, and decided not to contact RAMA to get them to send you the screws you need, and are ready to just say "**** it" and throw the whole thing to the trash, then yeah, this hobby is not for you.  This hobby is not for five-year-olds.

Dude, they can't read your mind.  email RAMA WORKS at support@rama.works.  They will take care of you. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 August 2020, 10:48:58 by litster »

Offline litster

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 11:12:09 »

Offline walie

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 22:59:17 »
You don't attach the PCB to the base with screws...

Do you know what you're talking about.

Offline PEW272

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 22:51:39 »
Been sending in emails about my plate and weight replacement, and have not received replies for two weeks already...

Offline druck21

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 21:27:49 »
Does anyone else have issues with ping inside the case? I have 62g zilents on an aluminum moon plate and I hear a pretty annoying ringing when hitting spacebar and some other keys. I don't have the internal dampener but I see it's still in stock- would getting one fix this problem? I can't tell from the pictures if the dampener even goes down far enough to hit the spacebar area though? If not, will swapping to the brass plate help?

Offline shansoft

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 04:56:40 »
Does anyone else have issues with ping inside the case? I have 62g zilents on an aluminum moon plate and I hear a pretty annoying ringing when hitting spacebar and some other keys. I don't have the internal dampener but I see it's still in stock- would getting one fix this problem? I can't tell from the pictures if the dampener even goes down far enough to hit the spacebar area though? If not, will swapping to the brass plate help?

Even with internal damper, it's going to have echo where the damper doesn't reach. That is the problem for this board, a massive echo chamber. Some might like it some might not.

Perhaps putting a thin layer foam yourself through the entire bottom of PCB might help with echo. I will try that sometime to see if it helps.

Offline AlexG

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 10:18:00 »

Even with internal damper, it's going to have echo where the damper doesn't reach. That is the problem for this board, a massive echo chamber. Some might like it some might not.

Perhaps putting a thin layer foam yourself through the entire bottom of PCB might help with echo. I will try that sometime to see if it helps.

I have 0 echo on mine. Holy pandas with zeal stabs gmk caps.

Offline shansoft

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 05:19:11 »

I have 0 echo on mine. Holy pandas with zeal stabs gmk caps.

I also have tried both new Drop HP and Polar HP, and they still echo with internal damper or weight.

No way it does not echo with big empty space inside.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 05:40:18 »

For what it's worth, the most effective way to suppress ping is to lubricate the switch springs.

Offline GeekLevelAsian

• Geek Level Asian
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 10:57:26 »
For those who are experiencing ping, did you lube the switches and stabs and try bandaid mods?  I've been looking at this and the Mode80 and don't know which one I want to grab.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 22:22:23 »
Has anyone heard anything about the replacement weights recently? I sent an email back in July and I never heard anything after the initial acknowledgement and blog post about.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline jiggyboybrian

• Darling!
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 12:16:46 »
Does anybody know a carrying case that the U80 would fit inside? I haven’t found any.

Offline litster

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 12:53:47 »
Does anybody know a carrying case that the U80 would fit inside? I haven’t found any.

This is a very heavy keyboard to be lugging around.  With an internal weight it weights almost 10 pounds. 

Offline jiggyboybrian

• Darling!
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 10:26:13 »

This is a very heavy keyboard to be lugging around.  With an internal weight it weights almost 10 pounds.

Yeah, It’s pretty heavy but I want the carrying case more for storage reasons, I feel like a carrying case would look nicer than a box

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 15:10:54 »
I hope there will be Round 3.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::