Author Topic: How to make/find silencing mat like on the HHKB?  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Nerif

How to make/find silencing mat like on the HHKB?
« on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 15:24:57 »
Hello everyone. So I have a Cherry G80-11900 keyboard and I really like it, but still there are things that need to be done. The keyboard sound hollow (like Apple M0110 but not as pingy of course) and this is kinda annoying. At first time I thought "Cool I have a Cherry Pingmaster LOL" but it started to annoy me after a while. So, I heard that there is a silencing mat for HHKB, which dampens the sound. Where can I find something like that but for my Cherry G80-11900? Will it make my keyboard move on a table a lot?
̷C̷M̷ ̷Q̷F̷ ̷X̷T̷ ̷[̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷u̷e̷ ̷→̷ ̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷a̷c̷k̷ ̷H̷y̷p̷e̷r̷g̷l̷i̷d̷e̷]̷
Anne Pro 2 [Gateron CAP Brown → Kailh BOX Dark Yellow]

Offline Faceman76

Re: How to make/find silencing mat like on the HHKB?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 16:22:40 »
I cut strips of Sorbothane and crazy glued them in the top and bottom of case, just make sure not to attach them in visible places or where it will cause interference between the case top/bottom or PCB. 

Isolate It!: Sorbothane Vibration Damping Sheet Stock 50 Duro (1/8 x 12 x 12in) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004LY8UTY/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_HJ5DXXSAPRH25033Q5ZQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline Volny

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 20:12:59 »
I buy sheets of adhesive neoprene at a local rubber store (google Adhesive Backed Neoprene Sponge Sheet), which I think is the easiest solution. You cut them to size, peel off the backing and stick them on the keyboard like a sticker. The glue they come with is very strong, and they provide extremely good grip on the table - much better than the crappy bumpons or rubber strips that keyboards usually come with.

You can buy the sheets in various thicknesses, and I usually apply multiple layers, with more at the back, to get the exact keyboard angle I like.

Offline Nerif

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 10:02:47 »
I buy sheets of adhesive neoprene at a local rubber store (google Adhesive Backed Neoprene Sponge Sheet), which I think is the easiest solution. You cut them to size, peel off the backing and stick them on the keyboard like a sticker. The glue they come with is very strong, and they provide extremely good grip on the table - much better than the crappy bumpons or rubber strips that keyboards usually come with.

You can buy the sheets in various thicknesses, and I usually apply multiple layers, with more at the back, to get the exact keyboard angle I like.

Wow, this sounds exactly like the thing I want to do with my Cherry G80-11900 keyboard, thank you very much
̷C̷M̷ ̷Q̷F̷ ̷X̷T̷ ̷[̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷u̷e̷ ̷→̷ ̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷a̷c̷k̷ ̷H̷y̷p̷e̷r̷g̷l̷i̷d̷e̷]̷
Anne Pro 2 [Gateron CAP Brown → Kailh BOX Dark Yellow]