Author Topic: Monitors suddenly goes black  (Read 15989 times)

Offline Naweo

Re: Monitors suddenly goes black
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 17 March 2022, 17:32:19 »
Yes, integrated graphics worked for a USB monitor. I reinstalled nvidia driver and problem was solved.

Still getting black screen randomly 1-2 times a day, haven't had success with fixing. It's and actual freeze, in addition to the black screen. I can't access things and sometimes sound freezes too.

Restarts tends to fix problem.

Sometimes I get the "usb disconect" sound and it feels like the GPU driver restarts.

A bit frustrating. May just have to live with the problem. I have spent 100 hours trying to solve this and there jsujt seems to be no way around it .

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 17 March 2022, 19:06:05 »
Beep codes are hardware level and no joke.
Restarts and a software re-installs do not fix hardware problems, it's clearing the current error.

You have something hardware either out of spec or failing, my guess is drive or power supply, you need to tackle this now before it destroys more things.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline yui

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 04:11:58 »
like said months ago and leslieann just said, random failures is often power supply related, either failing or out of spec, or if you still have not tried a new OS or at least a checkdisk could also be a dying hdd creating bitrot and corrupting your OS and so causing random crashes. although your crashes not seem random enough for that and to me mean unstable/undersized PSU, especially with a RTX 3000 they do have huge current spikes that cheap psu do not like and may brown out or produce transients that can crash random parts of your system, or even kill them if unlucky.
TLDR: change your PSU at last, i remember that idea being thrown around at the start but never followed through. (or down volt, downclock and reduce powerlimits on CPU and GPU drastically so they stop outpacing your psu, losing a lot of performance but maybe fixing your PC for free) and stop overclocking, TP4 can tell you all he wants overclocking will always reduce stability and increase stress on the PSU, motherboard and CPU and all components around if you have inadequate cooling (and if you overclock you GPU it increase stress on the PSU a lot and GPU)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Naweo

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 07:26:40 »
like said months ago and leslieann just said, random failures is often power supply related, either failing or out of spec, or if you still have not tried a new OS or at least a checkdisk could also be a dying hdd creating bitrot and corrupting your OS and so causing random crashes. although your crashes not seem random enough for that and to me mean unstable/undersized PSU, especially with a RTX 3000 they do have huge current spikes that cheap psu do not like and may brown out or produce transients that can crash random parts of your system, or even kill them if unlucky.
TLDR: change your PSU at last, i remember that idea being thrown around at the start but never followed through. (or down volt, downclock and reduce powerlimits on CPU and GPU drastically so they stop outpacing your psu, losing a lot of performance but maybe fixing your PC for free) and stop overclocking, TP4 can tell you all he wants overclocking will always reduce stability and increase stress on the PSU, motherboard and CPU and all components around if you have inadequate cooling (and if you overclock you GPU it increase stress on the PSU a lot and GPU)

The power supply is a Gigabyte P850GM -  850W PSU 80 + Gold  Modular

That should be enough no? Or should I just try to switch it to a better one to see if it works? At this point I don't care. I am desperate.

I tried:

- Many things software related to fix it.
- Different GPU and CPU non-overclock and overclock. Crashes still happen.
- I have tried unplugging cables, and diversifying power outlets so it draws power from different plugs.
- I have having TWO UPS 850w backup power supply batteries to power the PC.

I HAVE NOT:

- Exchanged the GPU or tested it in another PC
- Reseated ram
- Tinkerd with overclock power limits
- Exchanged the PSU.
- I have tried to standard windows checkdisk and it seems both of my drives should be fine, also the system dump check etc. Anythin specific I need to do? I am willing to check again.

So far about crashes:

- Usually happens right after a reboot or wake from sleep.
- Usually happens right after exiting a videogame.
- Quite random, but still a bit consistent to above parameters.

I also made a terrfic and incredible scientific discovery.

IF I HIT/KICK THE PC IN THE BACK AT THE EQUIVALENT FORCE OF KNOCKING A DOOR, I get instant blackscreen/freeze.

Should I just try and exchange the PSU?

Maybe I should:

1. Do checkdisk
2. replace PSU with powerful one.
3. - If that fails, replace GPU.
4. - If that fails, commit suicide.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 March 2022, 07:35:14 by Naweo »

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 08:37:05 »
Get rid of that PSU, those from Gigabyte have been known to eventually catch fire.  I would recommend looking into something like the 850G2/G3 from EVGA, an RM850(x) from Corsair, or a Seasonic Focus or Prime 850's.  If it's a hard shutoff then that's where I would look first.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Naweo

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 09:34:26 »
Get rid of that PSU, those from Gigabyte have been known to eventually catch fire.  I would recommend looking into something like the 850G2/G3 from EVGA, an RM850(x) from Corsair, or a Seasonic Focus or Prime 850's.  If it's a hard shutoff then that's where I would look first.

What is the best PSU that has ever been made known to mankind, regardless of cost?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 09:48:19 »

Shut the system down and do NOT use it.
That PSU has massive issues and probably going to lead to a class action lawsuit against Newegg and Gigabyte.

And do NOT kick or even bump your system.
It's bad enough for fans, tempered glass and components which can cause wear or break solder joints, but hard disks do not even like loud noise let alone vibration or being kicked.

Now the real bad part of this...
It's possible the entire system is already damaged, not from kicking but due to the power supply. If this was a mission critical system (and it doesn't sound like it), I would literally be replacing at the bare minimum any spinners and motherboard, but more than likely everything in the box because as far as reliability goes, everything has been compromised. For a home system, meh, but I've replaced a whole file server that had similar happen and spent the next 6 months swapping out thumbsticks as they all suffered an early death as a result of that power supply going bad.

Side note:
You got unlucky, you chose a good PSU based on the info you had, you just got screwed by a manufacturer.  Here is a list of "good" power supplies, not that each manufacturer has good and bad PSUs. Manufacturers often use multiple suppliers to meet various price points/profit generally certain suppliers are bad. others good, but it's not always as simple as that, it can come down to individual models as well (or even batch). You don't need god tier or even platinum, bronze is fine if it's well made.
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-rev-148/

Extra side note:
Running two power supplies safely can be done, that will not fix the issue, but can also cause your house to burn down if done incorrectly, many crypto farms and SLI systems have burned down from doing this improperly. Specifically you need to Isolate the GPU from the main PSU entirely, except for data, and that requires special PCI-E extenders. I know a lot of people do it, I've done it in the past and while it's less likely in a single or double GPU system as opposed to a miner with 12cards or something, it can and does happen because it's not properly wired.

Gamers Nexus Videos about the Gigabyte's GP-P750GM & GP-P850GM power supplies exploding.

And

and finally

« Last Edit: Fri, 18 March 2022, 09:49:56 by Leslieann »
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 09:56:41 »

What is the best PSU that has ever been made known to mankind, regardless of cost?
I posted a link above to good psus.
You don't need top tier, even B or C class is fine for your use. Even C class is going to be perfectly fine.

For simplicity sake...

For ATX
Seasonic, or made by Seasonic is pretty much always good for ATX (but not always SFX).

For SFX,
Corsair is pretty much always good, however this only applies to SFX. Their ATX is mish-mash.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 10:59:55 »
Jesus... okay.

I did however find a slightly loose SSD cable for some reason it went lose. I hoped this has fixed the issues.

For the record, these are the rest of my specs:

Intel i7-10700K 8Core 16 Thread 5.1GHz
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
ASRock Z490 Steel Legend ATX
G.Skill TridentZ Neo Series 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz 4x16
Gigabyte NVMe SSD 512GB M.2 - Read 1700 MB/s / 1550 MB/s
WD 1TB blue HDD 3.5"
AORUS Nvidia RTX3070 MASTER _Led edition
Gigabyte P850GM -  850W PSU 80 + Gold  Modular
Nox Hummer Nexus Black Edition - NXHUMMERNXSBK

I will look at the PSU's.

Anything you think suffices for these specs?

Regarding power supplies, I only have the singular power supply - but it is connected to a backup supply station. My country has a lot of power outages, so I need a backup battery to save the system in taht case. The actual PC is only one PSU, the gigabyte one.

We bought them in march 2020. Was it known by then that it was a scam product?

There is a local power supply in store:

850W Corsair RM850

I am thinking on replacing everything with this
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 March 2022, 11:12:29 by Naweo »

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 11:37:34 »
kinda scary

Offline Naweo

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 12:01:34 »
I can get:

Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+Gold Modular Power Supply

Or the Corsair 850 one. Similar models.

Which should go best with my system?

Offline yui

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 13:56:27 »

That should be enough no? Or should I just try to switch it to a better one to see if it works? At this point I don't care. I am desperate.

I tried:

- Many things software related to fix it.
- Different GPU and CPU non-overclock and overclock. Crashes still happen.
- I have tried unplugging cables, and diversifying power outlets so it draws power from different plugs.
- I have having TWO UPS 850w backup power supply batteries to power the PC.

I HAVE NOT:

- Exchanged the GPU or tested it in another PC
- Reseated ram
- Tinkerd with overclock power limits
- Exchanged the PSU.
- I have tried to standard windows checkdisk and it seems both of my drives should be fine, also the system dump check etc. Anythin specific I need to do? I am willing to check again.

So far about crashes:

- Usually happens right after a reboot or wake from sleep.
- Usually happens right after exiting a videogame.
- Quite random, but still a bit consistent to above parameters.

I also made a terrfic and incredible scientific discovery.

IF I HIT/KICK THE PC IN THE BACK AT THE EQUIVALENT FORCE OF KNOCKING A DOOR, I get instant blackscreen/freeze.

Should I just try and exchange the PSU?

Maybe I should:

1. Do checkdisk
2. replace PSU with powerful one.
3. - If that fails, replace GPU.
4. - If that fails, commit suicide.
- 850W should be enough, but a power supply can be defective or fail from old age.
- Kicking a pc hard will cause it to crash likely, especially newer ones as impedance are critical and kicking it will likely slightly move cards and connectors changing impedance or even disconnecting them temporary, so there acting as expected.
- Reboots may cause a spike in power consumption in an already hot system so make sense it would crash, with wake from sleep it kinda hurts my theory.
- Quitting video game would also change the load drastically too, so could make it unstable too
- To be honest reseating ram could be a thing to do, unlikely to be the problem but a very easy thing to try, if your cooler is not in the way.
- When i talked about checkdisk i was talking about the standard checkdist, it should find if your disk was failing and if you had corrupted windows system files. if you want to be even more sure of the health of the disks you can read the SMART with a tool like crystaldiskinfo.
- One thing that would rule a huge unknown out is to reinstall windows or install a new one on an other disk, if you can.
- And yeah those PSU have a huge (i really mean huge) security design oversight, you can be lucky and have one of the rare that are not problematic, but a lot of them do explode on overload (STOP OVERCLOCKING ON IT), 850W is plenty, 650W should even be enough (limit but should be OK). when they explode they can either die, kill what is upstream (you UPS), what is downstream (your PC) or both.
- A lose sata cable can make everything go funky.
- Corsair does make descent products just do not buy used as at least in France buying used will void your warranty (bought a 2months old PSU that died and my RMA got refused because it was not my name on the invoice), if it is new my friends never had any problems even slightly out of warranty.
if you are in the US, Rosewill does also make good PSU, and cheap, but they seem only sold in the US, well the one i have survived multiple shorts on the 12V without problems and is still powering my pc.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 17:16:20 »
I can get:

Seasonic is almost always great.
Corsair is good, not always great, but good is good enough.

Honestly, you don't need to go overboard just good enough to avoid junk that fries your system. 99.9% of the time, buying something like your current Gigabyte would have been absolutely fine without even thinking about it, you were not wrong buying it you were just swindled by a shady manufacturer.

And before anyone claims Gigabyte is good, they tend to be but almost every computer manufacturer, especially Chinese based ones pull this crap once in a while, not much you can do but refuse to buy from them till they clean up their act. I've been burned by almost all of them at one time or another, just usually not this bad and even more rarely seen them handle it so bad in the process.

By the way, you may be able to return it for a refund.

I did however find a slightly loose SSD cable for some reason it went lose. I hoped this has fixed the issues.
Probably from smacking the system.

Looks good.

Regarding power supplies, I only have the singular power supply - but it is connected to a backup supply station. My country has a lot of power outages, so I need a backup battery to save the system in taht case. The actual PC is only one PSU, the gigabyte one.
UPS (backup) and PSU are different,

What happens with dual PSU is return current can flow back through the wrong power supply.
In most cases ground is ground, but not in the case with two supplies running the system. I don't know specifics, only the why and why not.

Sounds like you were an early buyer and ahead of reports, which started later that year it seems.
Things like this come to light slowly then explode but unless you are active in the industry or pay attention at the hobbyist level it's not something you would have just come across at random. Few people go back weeks/months later to see if their system has a defective part.

A bit back I said watch out for Covid era products because they may have compromised parts due to shortages, this may have been one of the first ones to suffer from this. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 March 2022, 17:19:38 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 17:44:45 »
I can get:

Seasonic is almost always great.
Corsair is good, not always great, but good is good enough.

Honestly, you don't need to go overboard just good enough to avoid junk that fries your system. 99.9% of the time, buying something like your current Gigabyte would have been absolutely fine without even thinking about it, you were not wrong buying it you were just swindled by a shady manufacturer.

And before anyone claims Gigabyte is good, they tend to be but almost every computer manufacturer, especially Chinese based ones pull this crap once in a while, not much you can do but refuse to buy from them till they clean up their act. I've been burned by almost all of them at one time or another, just usually not this bad and even more rarely seen them handle it so bad in the process.

By the way, you may be able to return it for a refund.

Probably from smacking the system.

Looks good.

UPS (backup) and PSU are different,

What happens with dual PSU is return current can flow back through the wrong power supply.
In most cases ground is ground, but not in the case with two supplies running the system. I don't know specifics, only the why and why not.

Sounds like you were an early buyer and ahead of reports, which started later that year it seems.
Things like this come to light slowly then explode but unless you are active in the industry or pay attention at the hobbyist level it's not something you would have just come across at random. Few people go back weeks/months later to see if their system has a defective part.

A bit back I said watch out for Covid era products because they may have compromised parts due to shortages, this may have been one of the first ones to suffer from this.

Alright, thanks I will get a corsair or seasonic one. Keep in mind I did not kick my computer, hehe, I literally just notice it resets when my foot scracthed it, then I tested it twice by just gently knocking the back. The sata cable was loose beforehand I believe. If this has caused my problems all this time I will still commit suicide.

Will keep you updated.

Offline yui

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 17:52:48 »
Most Gigabyte products are good, but the way they handled this problem will make me very hesitant to ever buy any part from them again, i already avoided their motherboard thanks to an high end FX990 board with so much custom stuff that only 2 USB ports work in linux or in the windows installer, no other ports do on the entire board without drivers...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 18:16:54 »

cable was loose beforehand I believe. If this has caused my problems

I am always befuddled by cable problems. They seem so innocuous, they just lie there still and never look like anything is changing or bothering them.

State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 19:38:59 »
Alright, thanks I will get a corsair or seasonic one. Keep in mind I did not kick my computer, hehe, I literally just notice it resets when my foot scracthed it, then I tested it twice by just gently knocking the back. The sata cable was loose beforehand I believe. If this has caused my problems all this time I will still commit suicide.

Will keep you updated.
Get a new sata cable as well.

Most Gigabyte products are good, but the way they handled this problem will make me very hesitant to ever buy any part from them again, i already avoided their motherboard thanks to an high end FX990 board with so much custom stuff that only 2 USB ports work in linux or in the windows installer, no other ports do on the entire board without drivers...
Agreed, had a similar issue a while back with them using rather unique parts/drivers on motherboards that ironically worked better out of the box with Hackintosh than Windows.

As for this whole mess, they burned a LOT of good faith.
I can understand why it happened but how they not only let it continue to happen  they forced them onto people knowing there was an issue. And THEN they get annoyed when people call them on it.  Newegg also had to know there was an issue as well, they are not remotely blameless here.

Unfortunately at the moment, you don't always have a choice, I'm building a system for a customer right now and the only 3060 GPU I can reliably get is a Gigabyte.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 03:56:44 »

Will keep you updated.
Get a new sata cable as well.

Agreed, had a similar issue a while back with them using rather unique parts/drivers on motherboards that ironically worked better out of the box with Hackintosh than Windows.

As for this whole mess, they burned a LOT of good faith.
I can understand why it happened but how they not only let it continue to happen  they forced them onto people knowing there was an issue. And THEN they get annoyed when people call them on it.  Newegg also had to know there was an issue as well, they are not remotely blameless here.

Unfortunately at the moment, you don't always have a choice, I'm building a system for a customer right now and the only 3060 GPU I can reliably get is a Gigabyte.

Noted. I do have a sata cable lying around I believe. Could it have been damaged or?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 11:24:04 »
Noted. I do have a sata cable lying around I believe. Could it have been damaged or?
They're surprisingly tough sitting in a random drawer with other cables and surprisingly fragile while in a PC.

The pins are prone to damage from vibration, so if you have a spare, use it.
If you have more than one in your system, replace all of them inside the box, it's cheap insurance.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 04:26:34 »
They're surprisingly tough sitting in a random drawer with other cables and surprisingly fragile while in a PC.

The pins are prone to damage from vibration, so if you have a spare, use it.
If you have more than one in your system, replace all of them inside the box, it's cheap insurance.

After pushing sata cables in all together, I have not had a problem since. Might happen, but it has been a week with no issues now. This seems to have solved it.

I am doing backups etc etc just to make sure my drives havent been ****ed.

I have my seasonic PSU on the way so I can replace it.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 10:12:59 »
After pushing sata cables in all together, I have not had a problem since. Might happen, but it has been a week with no issues now. This seems to have solved it.
If it did it once, it will do it again and even sooner than last time.

When this does happen it can cause more than just slowdowns it can corrupt your files, you can be finding bad files for YEARS, ask how I know. You can make and store backups all you want, they may not save you if it corrupts on the initial save.

Do NOT F around with bad hardware if you value your data.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More