Author Topic: What are some of your favorite keycap sets you can buy today.  (Read 6873 times)

Offline cassado10

Hey guys, I am new to the community and I will randomly hear of keycaps that I have never heard of but are available right now. I feel like I have just scratched the surface. Are there any key cap sets you guys love that are available for purchase right now.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Re: What are some of your favorite keycap sets you can buy today.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 August 2023, 03:18:37 »
its hard to get in-stock keycaps (availability of the set from the group-buy takes nowadays 12-18 months), best bet is to check keyboards shops if they have any in stock, or Drop, ebay, reddit.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 August 2023, 10:59:29 »
My two favorite keycap profiles are SA and MT3. I just love tall sphericals. I tend to like sets that are tributes to old terminal keyboards of the 1960s and 1970s. My favorites are Dolch, CADET, HONEY, and Dasher/Dancer. Unfortunately, the only ones of those that I believe you can buy today are Dasher/Dancer (from Drop), though you can usually find some variant of Dolch if you hunt around. I'm typing on a set of MT3 Dasher right now in fact. Love 'em!

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 August 2023, 17:02:28 »
If you like high-profile, Drop has been selling MT3 at huge discounts. Sometimes, you can get a base kit [Dasher / Dancer, Skiidata] for $39.

There is a high-profile called AF SA on AliExpress that is more conventional, and is usually around $40. The new CX SA may be even cheaper. They are both kind of like shorter SA-profiles. Some of the sites offering AF SA have some nice colourways to choose from.

There is also a fake ripoff of "Pyga" being sold on AliExpress that is reportedly quite decent. Only like $20. Maybe 5+ colours to choose from.

For beige+cream PBT sets, I think 21KB is good value [when they are on sale.] For example, the "Wubi" set at $35. That is more enjoyable than paying a lot of money. However, CRP sets are nice if you can get them.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 August 2023, 07:27:26 »
Now's a good time. There's a sale on at AliExpress, so you can find the fake Pyga sets pretty cheap. Same with CX SA profile [certain SA profile or other high-profile / spherical dish sets]. JC Studio is also on sale at KeeBox store.

MT3 is a good buy when the base kit is $39.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 August 2023, 10:33:51 »
JC Studio is also on sale at KeeBox store.

If you know how to use taobao/superbuy you can get JC studio under the name leekbrothers for around $20, keep in mind you should probably buy some switches and stabs as shipping can get a bit much for the products so you might as well add some stuff to make it better deal.

Here is the store on superbuy if you want to check it out - https://www.superbuy.com/en/page/rebates/shop/?shopid=304252994&platform=TB

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 August 2023, 10:44:17 »
OP is a spambot account (banned and removed their response with links) but it's worth keeping this thread up for anyone real who might have the same question. Just don't expect a response from the OP. :-X

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 August 2023, 11:10:12 »
OP is a spambot account (banned and removed their response with links) but it's worth keeping this thread up for anyone real who might have the same question. Just don't expect a response from the OP. :-X

Oh yeah they are lol. but yeah this is a good thread to keep up.

Adding to this you can get a full base kit of gmk bento revival kit for $75 on novelkeys, which is a very good price.

https://novelkeys.com/collections/gmk/products/gmk-bento-r2?variant=35449790103719

Offline Kinessa

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 13:58:47 »
GMK Laser: Vibrant colors, laser-etched legends, high-quality ABS plastic.
MT3 Susuwatari: Inspired by wabi-sabi, sculpted profile, high-quality PBT plastic.
Drop + MiTo XDA Canvas: Collaboration between Drop and designer MiTo, flat profile, high-quality XDA PBT plastic.
Ducky Joker PBT: Budget-friendly, dye-sublimation process, high-quality PBT plastic.
SA Bliss: Inspired by nature, sculpted profile, high-quality SA PBT plastic.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 September 2023, 08:10:17 »
i dont really know anything about keycap sets but probably SA Granite and the CRP sets if we're talking custom mx-compatible caps
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 September 2023, 18:32:01 »
If you are looking for a bunch of gmk, then novelkeys is doing a B2G1 free deal that is ending soon. You can get some nice sets as well.

https://novelkeys.com/collections/gmk-b2g1

Offline iwobobul

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 September 2023, 08:21:08 »
Klassiker is an amazing set that looks retro without darker mods.
Also mkbeu is running a 50% sale so plenty of sets are very affordable. I'm picking up Griseann because it has regular alphas and you effectively get a WOB set within a set, for 70 euros.