Author Topic: Tofu 96  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
Tofu 96
« on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 21:40:51 »
I'm currently using the tofu 96 pcb solder. Has anyone try to mod the per-key rgb for this board?
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: Tofu 96
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 21:51:52 »
It should be decently easy to add leds to the pcb, it's just soldering the leds to the pcb. Just make sure the pcb is compatible with them with the two holes under the pcb for the leds, I found an image with the tofu96 pcb that should come with it (DZ96) but idk if they have changed it. I'd also recommend tx leds since they apparently don't need to be sanded to fit and are made for keyboard leds.

(Also the other circle of the 3 leds just represent the different positions that the leds can go through. It was from a forum question)
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 October 2023, 10:52:43 »
Thank you so much for the reply! For the LED, can I use the 1.8mm LED from this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017TR9T1W/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hotsaucefinal-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B017TR9T1W&linkId=2beb2fb46cedefb564176768021be685
based on
039;
I think this led to the standard 1.8mm LED one.
I'm just afraid the LED's voltage is unsuitable for the board or something like that.
For the TX led, I have found this link:https://mekibo.com/products/led-2x3x3?variant=31447597744188
Is this what you mention?
Furthermore, do I need to code any qmk or mod anything on the firmware to turn on and off the LED? I don't need to configure per-key. I need it like when I plug in my keyboard, those LEDs turn on.

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 October 2023, 11:11:27 »
I'm using SA profile on this tofu96. I wonder if it is compatible. I have heard that gmk will go well with 1.8mm led. My PCB is south-facing.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 October 2023, 19:17:31 »
Thank you so much for the reply! For the LED, can I use the 1.8mm LED from this link
I think this led to the standard 1.8mm LED one.
I'm just afraid the LED's voltage is unsuitable for the board or something like that.

I believe you could. I don't think the leds have enough voltage to do any damage to the pcb. Also the pcb used in the video is probably made by the same manu as the dz96 pcb so it should be fine.

For the TX led, I have found this link:https://mekibo.com/products/led-2x3x3?variant=31447597744188
Is this what you mention?

Yeah that is what I'm talking about.

Furthermore, do I need to code any qmk or mod anything on the firmware to turn on and off the LED? I don't need to configure per-key. I need it like when I plug in my keyboard, those LEDs turn on.

You can use vial/via to code for the rgb to appear, just make sure you are using a pcb compatible with via (the DZ96 has one)

I'm using SA profile on this tofu96. I wonder if it is compatible. I have heard that gmk will go well with 1.8mm led. My PCB is south-facing.

SA should be compatible with leds, I don't know why it wouldn't, but I don't use SA so I don't know 100%. Hope this helps though.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 18:02:32 »
Thank you so much for your response! I have soldered 100 LEDs, and it works great. Then, it is usable. For anyone who wonders, there is no need to program QMK and stuff, just VIA. Map the backlight keys to any keys you want, and voila. Furthermore, both Cherry and SA do not have any interference with the 2x3x4 LED I'm using right now. Just remember to push the LED down as tight and low as possible.