Author Topic: Amazing tiny handsfree battery bluetooth speaker  (Read 2637 times)

Offline roaduck

Amazing tiny handsfree battery bluetooth speaker
« on: Tue, 13 October 2009, 11:07:21 »
Yesterday I popped into town and had an hour to kill so I went to my local Hi-Fi shop to ask about the exhibitors at the forthcoming Sound and Vision show in Manchester this weekend and I spotted something intriguing in the window.

It was a tiny six inch long speaker that was bluetooth compatible.I needed a new handsfree because I sold my last Parrot bluetooth speaker because it sounded horrid.

This thing is the Soundmatters FoxL mbl  www.soundmatters.com/foxl/ and it is quite simply a revelation - genuine bass, output volume and  clarity from a thing that will fit in a spectacles case.It is definately not high fidelity and sounds like a big good quality mono radio cassette from the 80's with a decent long throw 4-5 inch speaker and 5-8 watts true rms output.It distorts at very high volume but easily fills a room and it vibrates the floor if you put it on wood-flooring - incredible.It does not sound at all tinny; it's got a lovely tone - like a very good Bang and Olufsen or Grundig portable radio.It wouldn't replace a big cd radio or a moderate micro system but it's more than satisfactory for music outside and it is totally portable.

I paired it with my phone which took seconds and was gobsmacked when I heard the dulcet tones of Linton Kwesi Johnson - Dread Beat 'n blood - dub poetry.I couldn't get my head round the fact that such terrific full-blooded sound quality was coming from something pocket sized.It was on special at audio-T for £100 so I snapped it up.Usually they're $250 for the bluetooth version which equates to about £158.05 in pounds sterling.

Soundmatters foxL Pocket-sized Audiophile Portable Music System

Author: Paul 20 Aug

Your penchant for high-fidelity sound production might buy you the latest Foxl portable music system. And believe me; your costly desire would not make a big dent into your savings. In fact, the latest offering from Soundmatters Inc. gives you all-a powerful sound quality, stylish design, compact looks and convenient options.
Pick its bluetooth model or not, the portable stereo loudspeaker nearly offers the same functions like-80Hz-20kHz frequency range, two 1″ Linear Magnetic Drive woofers tuned to 100Hz, Flatmagic Bass radiator and foxl Lithium-ion Bass battery which lasts up to 5 long hours.
However, if you purchase the audiophile-grade music system with bluetooth, you will be able to enjoy wirelessly streamed music from various devices and also entertain noise-free telephone calls by the help of internal noise/echo cancelling microphone. This sounds a real treat for music-lovers.
Expected to be released in September, it lets you enjoy music on-the-go at a fascinating price of $249 and $199 for bluetooth and non-bluetooth model respectively.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/soundmatters-foxl-pocket-sized-audiophile-portable-music-system/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy Online

FoxL £159.00

Postage and Packing £10.00

Portable Stereo Loudspeaker. The first pocket-sized music system good enough for audio purists.
Dimensions: 143 x 55 x 35 mm (5.6 x 2.2 x 1.4 inch)

http://www.dahlaudio.com/en/index.php?section=10&PHPSESSID=d2448acd635ae9a39118d877303f7390

In England it can be found at http://www.audio-t.co.uk/ for a hundred quid.

January 22, 2009 By Lauren Dragan
Click the images below for bigger versions:

Can you hear them now?
We’ve all been there: In a meeting, on the road, away from all manner of sound system, when there is something on a portable device that you need heard. Maybe it’s music, or a conference call via speakerphone. Yet whatever it is, it sounds terrible pushed through the sad excuse for speakers bleating away on your mobile device.
Until now. Audiophiles on the go take note: your portable sound prayers have been answered. Meet the FoxL after the jump.
Introduced as “portable loudspeakers”, the foxL is soundmatters’ multi-tasking mini dynamo: it can play music, connect via Bluetooth as a speakerphone with built in mic (foxLmb), and can even function as an external microphone for a computer.
They do all of this with finesse unseen in the portable speaker field to date. Meaning: they actually sound pretty darn good. With a claimed frequency response of 80Hz-20kHz, and an output of 95dB at 0.5m plugged into the included 5v power adaptor (and 92dB when powered by the battery), they immediately impress.

Especially when one considers its size. Weighing in at just 9.5oz and with dimensions of 5.6” x 2.2” x 1.4”, they feel sturdy yet are at home in the pocket of a suit jacket.
What really fascinates is how foxL accomplishes all of this.
Using what they call Linear Magnetic Drive “Twoofers” and BassBattery, the speakers achieve their clarity through 1-inch back-to-back dual Extreme Energy neodymium magnets.
The bass actually radiates through the lithium-ion rechargeable battery.
The bass can be enhanced by placing the speaker on a solid surface to better resonate, and any unwanted vibrations are dampened by an optional rubber “foot.”
The manufacturer warns that playing at high levels can cause the speakers to dance around, but that wasn’t something I encountered.
What I did find was a slight sound of distortion in the lower-mid range when playing music.
With some toying around, I found that when I lowered the 125Hz fader on my computer’s equalizer, the distorted sound lessened. Is this nitpicking? Absolutely. But in a set of portable speakers aimed at the audio-obsessed set, it does bear mentioning, even if a minor flaw.
Especially when you take into account the $199 or $249 price tag.
Also missing is an auto-shutoff feature; as speakers accidentally left switched on while unused are often found completely drained when returning to them later.
And for owners of the iPhone or iPhone 3G, Bluetooth streaming is not currently available, so you will have to use a cable to get your music out to the world.
But the good more than outweighs the bad in the foxL. A full charge can power them for up to 5 hours. Conference calls placed through the noise/echo canceling microphone sound fantastic.
And when did you last find portable speakers that offer the ability to attach an external subwoofer?
True, they are portable speakers, and no replacement for a full-sized sound-system, but for close-range portable sound, they as yet have no equal.
And that will have audiophiles everywhere saying halleluiah.
PRICE:
foxL $199
foxLmb $249 (includes Bluetooth and built in microphone)
Share Close

Read more: http://www.hemagazine.com/node/soundmatters_foxL#ixzz0TpfYf985

Read more: http://www.hemagazine.com/node/soundmatters_foxL#ixzz0TpfYf985