Author Topic: Looking for Ergonomic Keyboard Advice  (Read 2279 times)

Offline lasserith

Looking for Ergonomic Keyboard Advice
« on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 10:32:05 »
Hey everyone, forum newbie here. Anyways I've been thinking about getting a linear mechanical for the longest time due to all the wrist pain I get when typing on a standard keyboard (less impact and more keytravel to prevent the harsh bottoming out of a scissor switch). I asked about it over on [H]ardocp and they suggested I check out the kinesis. Anyways my problem is looking at both the split keyboard/the contoured design I'm not sure how well I could adjust to those and I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to try out a keyboard with a similar design? Not to mention I've never tried any mechanical keyboard so suggestions on that would be helpful as well. I'm currently a student in Raleigh, NC so there aren't a whole lot of places around (no microcenter or fry's :( ). I'm putting a build together around Christmas and the keyboard is the last piece to nail down so any suggestions are appreciated.

Offline Lanx

Looking for Ergonomic Keyboard Advice
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 12:13:29 »
kinesis is a commitment, imo and costly, some can adjust just fine (like me) others cannot. I've found 3 used kinesis for 50 or so on ebay, basically ebay diving, 1 i currently use, 1 i'm modding and 1 just sitting around just in case. Of course as with any used items, your results will vary, but then new ones are 270. However imo there really aren't any off the shelf alternatives for split keyboard really so i wouldn't even be able to recommend an alternative out of just recommending something.

You should find a big store, even best buy has the razer black widow, and they have a cut away on the box so you can try out the keys, as far as places with keyboards just out there, idk.