Author Topic: [IC] Gateron Switches  (Read 102886 times)

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
Re: [IC] Gateron Switches
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 18:52:00 »
I would be on board for 200 Gateron Clears. Soft and super smooth linears, I can't resist.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 19:09:53 »
This is a simple question to those lusting after these so-called "Gateron" switches;

What is the difference between these versions and "Kailh" switches? 

Remembered a few months back everyone was booing and hissing at them when they started filling up Razer, Noppoo and various other Chinese made keyboards.  NO one wanted them then suddenly I see everyone here including a few older members, chaffing at the bit to buy some suspect Chinese made copies of our favourite CherryMX switch.

Why don't you guys stick with the Original CherryMX switch rather than go blind into buying various other poorly made copies (just presuming that all copies are inferior to the original)?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 19:22:33 »
This is a simple question to those lusting after these so-called "Gateron" switches;

Remembered a few months back everyone was booing and hissing at them when they started filling up Razer, Noppoo and various other Chinese made keyboards.  NO one wanted them then suddenly I see everyone here including a few older members, chaffing at the bit to buy some suspect Chinese made copies of our favourite CherryMX switch.

Why don't you guys stick with the Original CherryMX switch rather than go blind into buying various other poorly made copies (just presuming that all copies are inferior to the original)?

Some have reported that these are very smooth, I think that report has fueled the interest in these, I agree that we should prefer the originals while they last; with these new prices if people get moving to the cheaper copies I think Cherry will eventually stop to manufacture their own switches. That may mean our boards with original Cherry will become all collector's  items, but I think that may damage the keyboard aficionado communities. I really hope that scenario to be far in time, meanwhile I am buying the Cherry switches I need to have my own stock for my keyboards. I will let the crowd to go and buy the copies.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 19:45:20 »
I will fill in the form later tonight. Has anyone tested the browns?  Any details at all on them. Are they really close to exact clones of cherry browns?
Yesterday, I saw a post that linked to Gateron's official force graphs for brown and blue. Today, I can't find it... Anyone know what I am talking about?

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 20:24:08 »

Always eloquent Elrick. ;D

Supposedly the linear switches are as smooth as or smoother than vintage blacks, which I think is the biggest draw to these.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 21:26:36 »
I want to like MX Blue/Green, mostly for the keycap compatiblity, so I keep looking for new riffs on them that will make them more, for lack of a better term, ALPSlike.  Suppsoedly the Gateron blue is louder and acutates higher, both of which are promising signs.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 21:57:22 »

I hope your trolling?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 21:58:38 »
It's Elrick, so I doubt it.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 22:00:42 »

I hope your trolling?

It's alright. If they don't want to enjoy the great feeling of linear gaterons, then so be it. ;)

Plus Gateron was founded in Taiwan, just their plant is in China. Plastics are imported from Switzerland. I have faith in Taiwanese tech (totally not biased ;)).

Elrick, if you'd like to read more about these gaterons, I made a mini build log here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68061.0
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 January 2015, 22:02:39 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 22:05:54 »

I hope your trolling?

It's alright. If they don't want to enjoy the great feeling of linear gaterons, then so be it. ;)

Plus Gateron was founded in Taiwan, just their plant is in China. Plastics are imported from Switzerland. I have faith in Taiwanese tech (totally not biased ;)).

Elrick, if you'd like to read more about these gaterons, I made a mini build log here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68061.0
Also: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68113.0

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 23:08:42 »
I got to play with some loose Gaterons at the bay area meetup. They all seemed nice. The clicky ones have a slightly different sounding click than loose MX blue switches, but it’s hard to get a good sense of them outside the context of a keyboard. The linear ones are definitely smoother than recent linear MX switches. Again it’s a bit hard to judge the feel or stiffness of loose switches.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 01:25:51 »
Plus Gateron was founded in Taiwan, just their plant is in China. Plastics are imported from Switzerland. I have faith in Taiwanese tech (totally not biased ;) ).

Get the feeling from all the pictures I've seen of these Gateron's, that they seem to come in CLEAR switch casings, is that why you are all so more excited about owning?

They are definitely new and look exactly like our traditional CherryMX switches BUT are you sure they can last 50 million times when used?

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 04:54:52 »
I got to play with some loose Gaterons at the bay area meetup. They all seemed nice. The clicky ones have a slightly different sounding click than loose MX blue switches, but it’s hard to get a good sense of them outside the context of a keyboard. The linear ones are definitely smoother than recent linear MX switches. Again it’s a bit hard to judge the feel or stiffness of loose switches.

Yeah, the board that the blues got put into for demonstration purposes sounded different and felt a little different than my MX Blues here at home. As for the clears... *steals mini USB cable from PS3 contoller and plugs in board* They're super, super light and very smooth, it takes almost no force at all to type on them. It's actually a little awkward, I'm getting a ton of errors typing this because they activate so easily. Like, almost no resistance at all. Kind of nice actually, like typing on a cloud.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 06:00:17 »
Plus Gateron was founded in Taiwan, just their plant is in China. Plastics are imported from Switzerland. I have faith in Taiwanese tech (totally not biased ;) ).

Get the feeling from all the pictures I've seen of these Gateron's, that they seem to come in CLEAR switch casings, is that why you are all so more excited about owning?

They are definitely new and look exactly like our traditional CherryMX switches BUT are you sure they can last 50 million times when used?

The smoothness of their linears is what attracts my attention. The translucent whitish housing is just a Cherry on top (no pun intended)!
Only time will tell regarding durability ;)

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 06:04:33 »
early adopter risk, as i see it.

i didn't fill the form because i'd just buy from Zeal when he stocks them

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 07:53:08 »
The smoothness of their linears is what attracts my attention. The translucent whitish housing is just a Cherry on top (no pun intended)!

+1

I think what caught most peoples attention was that these are supposedly as smooth or smoother than vintage/nixdorf blacks. The opaque housing is certainly neat but not enough on its own to drive this kind of interest. I'm more than willing to take the risk of questionable durability. If they are trash and die its not like they would damage a PCB or anything. The worst thing you would have to deal with are dead switches and that can be fixed easily and quickly.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 09:11:43 »

Well, it mostly has to do with the smooth stems, with the clear casing being a plus. And at this point, I see absolutely no reason why the would last for the rated amount of time.

Offline snipars

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 10:26:15 »
they might not last 50 trillion years because the contact points aren't made of 24 carat gold, but these seem like a really good cheap alternative to MX 
people who have used them, which of the linear switches did you enjoy using the most?
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 21:44:38 »
apparently linking your own email is against TOS  :( :p
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 February 2015, 21:56:10 by drhubblephd »

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 21:50:49 »
btw gateron has an email (redacted) you should just try contacting them  :thumb:

:rolleyes:

« Last Edit: Mon, 02 February 2015, 21:53:29 by Zeal »

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 22:11:50 »
I'd be in for 100 clears, 100 browns, and 100 reds =)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 01:37:34 »

After Cherry got bought by the ZF group, the quality control has not been as good as in the past. They also seem to be rushing the process a bit and this results in more prominent mold lines on the stems, making them all "scratchy". It takes a LONG time for these newer ones to wear in and the scratchiness to fade. They are also, contrary to their catchy marketing-speak, NOT innovating anything in their MX line, whereas companies like Kaihua and Gateron are doing something a little different (higher actuation point on Razer versions, 35g springs on Gateron "Clears", etc.). The linear sliders of these are apparently really smooth (like a new Cherry MX should be, but isn't).

As long as they don't brand them as Cherry MX switches, there isn't a legal issue here and ethically it's acceptable for most since they're doing more than just making clones, but "improving" the design in their own way.

If Cherry doesn't wake up soon, they're going to lose a big chunk of their market to these "clones". If I were Cherry (or even a clone maker) I would change the range to all 62g springs (measured like Korean springs) and just one of each type (clicky, tactile, linear), with the tactile using Clear stems.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 09:01:27 »

After Cherry got bought by the ZF group, the quality control has not been as good as in the past. They also seem to be rushing the process a bit and this results in more prominent mold lines on the stems, making them all "scratchy". It takes a LONG time for these newer ones to wear in and the scratchiness to fade. They are also, contrary to their catchy marketing-speak, NOT innovating anything in their MX line, whereas companies like Kaihua and Gateron are doing something a little different (higher actuation point on Razer versions, 35g springs on Gateron "Clears", etc.). The linear sliders of these are apparently really smooth (like a new Cherry MX should be, but isn't).

As long as they don't brand them as Cherry MX switches, there isn't a legal issue here and ethically it's acceptable for most since they're doing more than just making clones, but "improving" the design in their own way.

If Cherry doesn't wake up soon, they're going to lose a big chunk of their market to these "clones". If I were Cherry (or even a clone maker) I would change the range to all 62g springs (measured like Korean springs) and just one of each type (clicky, tactile, linear), with the tactile using Clear stems.

Don't forget the ability to still use MX-stemmed keycaps to customize your keyboard. Win all around, I say.
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline snipars

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 02:01:06 »
It seems odd to me that a lot of people are wanting to buy the gateron clears which are lighter than MX red, since most people on here tend to complain about MX red being too light

Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 02:06:40 »
I’d love to see some force curves comparing Gateron to MX switches. I highly doubt Gateron clears are actually 10g lighter than MX red.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 08:47:42 »
It seems odd to me that a lot of people are wanting to buy the gateron clears which are lighter than MX red, since most people on here tend to complain about MX red being too light

New shiny things...we are kind of like fish or ravens in that respect.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 08:54:22 »
FWIW, I've been playing with these for a few days in keychains. I've got the Gateron Blacks and Blues. I'm more interested in the Blacks.

The Blues feel like they took a Kailh Blue (which feels pretty much like an MX Blue) and moved the actuation point up to about where an Alps switch would be. Not my favorite to be honest. If I want clicky Alps, I'll use clicky Alps :).

But the Gateron Blacks I've been comparing to a Nixdorf Black and stock worn-in/old MX Black. I think it's smoother than the old MX Black. And compares very favorably to the Nixdorfs. The Nixdorfs are still a touch lighter but about the same smoothness I think. I'll have to play some more. But I'm hoping that if I just grab Gateron Blacks and swap the springs, I can get a Nixdorf-esque feeling without the Nixdorf hunt and prices. More impressions as I keep playing.

Shoutouts to hwood34 for loaning me some Gatorade.

Edit: Initial impressions
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 February 2015, 08:59:55 by CPTBadAss »

Offline snipars

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 09:34:24 »
FWIW, I've been playing with these for a few days in keychains. I've got the Gateron Blacks and Blues. I'm more interested in the Blacks.

The Blues feel like they took a Kailh Blue (which feels pretty much like an MX Blue) and moved the actuation point up to about where an Alps switch would be. Not my favorite to be honest. If I want clicky Alps, I'll use clicky Alps :).

But the Gateron Blacks I've been comparing to a Nixdorf Black and stock worn-in/old MX Black. I think it's smoother than the old MX Black. And compares very favorably to the Nixdorfs. The Nixdorfs are still a touch lighter but about the same smoothness I think. I'll have to play some more. But I'm hoping that if I just grab Gateron Blacks and swap the springs, I can get a Nixdorf-esque feeling without the Nixdorf hunt and prices. More impressions as I keep playing.

It's great to be hearing that these are good, although do you know anything aobut how durable they might be?

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 09:36:29 »

The Blues feel like they took a Kailh Blue (which feels pretty much like an MX Blue) and moved the actuation point up to about where an Alps switch would be. Not my favorite to be honest. If I want clicky Alps, I'll use clicky Alps :) .

It's great to be hearing that these are good, although do you know anything aobut how durable they might be?

It's probably too early to tell. Until a few people start getting full boards of these and using them daily, I don't think their durability can be gauged.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 09:37:00 »
Um I mean I could buy some and do some destructive tests to them but I don't think anyone in the community has had enough time on them. Let me build me build a board with Gaterons and type on it in a year. I'll let you know then.

It's the same issue with Kailhs. Except I actually own a Kailh board so maybe I should transplant them and start typing.

Offline snipars

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 09:48:22 »
Um I mean I could buy some and do some destructive tests to them but I don't think anyone in the community has had enough time on them. Let me build me build a board with Gaterons and type on it in a year. I'll let you know then.

It's the same issue with Kailhs. Except I actually own a Kailh board so maybe I should transplant them and start typing.

I think if i build an ergodox or a GON i'll use gaterons

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 09:51:43 »
Not sure if many think reds are too light since there is a whole camp of us that like Blacks with super light (50 or 55g) springs. I think it's more likely that people here tend to avoid reds because blacks are supposedly better than reds even with the same springs.
null

Offline snipars

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 09:53:26 »
Not sure if many think reds are too light since there is a whole camp of us that like Blacks with super light (50 or 55g) springs. I think it's more likely that people here tend to avoid reds because blacks are supposedly better than reds even with the same springs.

oh so the stems are supposedly better? i assumed they were the same

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 09:54:02 »

That's the spirit :thumb:

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 10:56:19 »

That's the spirit :thumb:
My goal is to do this with my Phantom build...

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:09:47 »

I don't care about the weight, I have my own springs laying around. I want the switches for their nice looking housing and for having "linear clears". I like to have 62g clears for the alphas and then linear switches for the modifiers, and with Gateron Clears I can have that setup and the switches will all look the same! Also, I want to try those 35g springs with browns to see if it increases the tactile feel.

With that said, 110 Gateron clears please!

EDIT: Filled out the form and accidentally put "ß" in the field for blacks, please ignore that. I am only interested in 110 clears :)

Offline snipars

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:26:42 »

I don't care about the weight, I have my own springs laying around. I want the switches for their nice looking housing and for having "linear clears". I like to have 62g clears for the alphas and then linear switches for the modifiers, and with Gateron Clears I can have that setup and the switches will all look the same! Also, I want to try those 35g springs with browns to see if it increases the tactile feel.

EDIT: Filled out the form and accidentally put "ß" in the field for blacks, please ignore that. I am only interested in 110 clears :)

are the gateron clears the only ones to have transparent housing?

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #137 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:29:34 »

are the gateron clears the only ones to have transparent housing?

Nope, all of the Gaterons should have clear housing.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 16:47:15 »
I'm not sure if I want to order some. Will I be able to participate in the GB even though I don't register in the IC?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 16:49:47 »
I'm not sure if I want to order some. Will I be able to participate in the GB even though I don't register in the IC?
Yeah, these are to just see if it is worth it to run the GB's and see what price point they will most likely hit.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 16:51:32 »
Yeah, these are to just see if it is worth it to run the GB's and see what price point they will most likely hit.
OK thanks.

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #141 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 02:49:51 »
I really want some of the blacks for the TX1800 I'm about to join in on. And the clears are going to be exactly what I need for my SPRiT build.

Intrest form filled out, let's make this IC into a reality.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 02:56:13 »
I want to let everyone know that Gateron clears are tactile. I think there's a LOT of confusion about the clears.

Ignore the black switch housing, that's a Gateron clear stem.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #143 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 05:23:26 »
I want to let everyone know that Gateron clears are tactile. I think there's a LOT of confusion about the clears.

Can't tell if troll or troll.

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #144 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 06:01:32 »
Definitely interested in the clear switches if linear, seems perfect to get an all white switch.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 08:04:58 »

It looks like the clear has a threshold to pass like tactile stem has, however the test is not the best I have seen.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 08:18:01 »
I am interested in white switches for my white keyboard. I wish that there were white Cherry stabilisers also, but I suppose that I could paint those.

Has anybody tried the browns?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 08:22:04 »
I am interested in white switches for my white keyboard. I wish that there were white Cherry stabilisers also, but I suppose that I could paint those.

Has anybody tried the browns?
I've seen white stabilizers before from an old board.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 11:02:55 »

Can't tell if troll or troll.

It's not an MX clear if that's what you're trying to say. The bump is WAY too low in the keystroke to be an MX clear.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 11:23:52 »
Sorry guys, I'm wrong.

I swapped the Gateron red and black stem into a Cherry MX housing (black), and they seem to do the same thing as the clear did.