Author Topic: [IC] GMK 9009 R3 - Launching September 1st  (Read 143810 times)

Offline EMC Labs

Re: [IC] GMK 9009 R3
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 06:49:18 »
Oof my wallet

I don't agree in many situations but I do agree with you for this one.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 11:44:25 »
R0 is gonna bring the price up
Why would R0 increase the price?  It did for Carbon because they had to make a lot of molds, but those now exist.  Is there something else that would make it more expensive than R1?

Laser ALT sporting red Sky Pandas

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 06:57:21 »
In for sure; but, wondering: Norde-UK? VIM arrows?

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #153 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 10:36:04 »
R0 is gonna bring the price up
Why would R0 increase the price?  It did for Carbon because they had to make a lot of molds, but those now exist.  Is there something else that would make it more expensive than R1?

Laser ALT sporting red Sky Pandas

Supposedly they cost more.  Don't know why.  Note some molds existed prior to Carbon R2 - GMK Iris had them.
Anyway, R0 would be ergonomically challenging for some people.  R0 is pretty rare among R5 vintage boards.

Offline hansikhouse

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 13:07:08 »
Definitely in for this.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 14:03:31 »
Yes, yes, yes: I would love to see this happen.

Thank you for the clean numpad! I love it when the alternate legends are removed!

ISSUE #1:

For the sake of specificity, I would love to see the actual profile row numbers of the keys appear on the renders. I'm particularly worried about the insert key (but because of the way this is laid out many other keys also have ambiguous profiles):

the standard kit shows two different insert keys but the pink one looks to be R1 while the beige appears to be R2.

If I'm a 100%/TKL layout user (Hint: I run 100%) this is a kick in the teeth: I really want the choice of an R1 beige insert key (can you tell I like the colors but I don't want THAT color on THAT key) but it looks like I'm stuck with pink at this location.

REQUEST #1:
Can we please get some abbrevations running on this layout?

- 'Ctrl' in 1.5u and 1.25u variants instead of 'Control'
- R1 'Ins' and R2 'Del' instead of R1 'Insert' and R2 'Delete'

Unabbreviated legends just seem so unnecessary most of the time.

Cheers & Thank You for running this!

K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 14:31:13 »
Yes, yes, yes: I would love to see this happen.

Thank you for the clean numpad! I love it when the alternate legends are removed!

ISSUE #1:

For the sake of specificity, I would love to see the actual profile row numbers of the keys appear on the renders. I'm particularly worried about the insert key (but because of the way this is laid out many other keys also have ambiguous profiles):

the standard kit shows two different insert keys but the pink one looks to be R1 while the beige appears to be R2.

If I'm a 100%/TKL layout user (Hint: I run 100%) this is a kick in the teeth: I really want the choice of an R1 beige insert key (can you tell I like the colors but I don't want THAT color on THAT key) but it looks like I'm stuck with pink at this location.

REQUEST #1:
Can we please get some abbrevations running on this layout?

- 'Ctrl' in 1.5u and 1.25u variants instead of 'Control'
- R1 'Ins' and R2 'Del' instead of R1 'Insert' and R2 'Delete'

Unabbreviated legends just seem so unnecessary most of the time.

Cheers & Thank You for running this!

K

lemme toss my 2 cents in

Control on 1.5u and 1.25u is better

Same with insert/delete, the full text fits the vintage feel of the set

also both of those Insert keys are R1

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 14:34:37 »
I agree - full name, like Control, looks better on caps - super retro look :thumb:
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 14:52:12 »
I also prefer the full name

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 17:52:18 »
One more time: Will Norde and VIM caps be included?

Offline Zacharius

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 18:40:21 »
One more time: Will Norde and VIM caps be included?
Man I hope so. Hopefully the runner jumps in to confirm/deny eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 18:51:33 »
Vims are the sparkle in this set.
Please add them to the base or make more to be another kit to buy.
Definitely looks special.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 19:23:23 »
Vim keycaps would be a good idea. I already have a previous 9009 Vim kit, so will not be induging this time, but I can see why others would want it. Vi is kind of old school, just like the theme of this set.

At this point I'm buying the base kit. If some kind of ErgoDox mods and/or ErgoDox-compatible "assembly" kit is added, then I'll purchase more. Would do the same for Colevrak too.

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 11:30:05 »
I agree - full name, like Control, looks better on caps - super retro look :thumb:

Is there any other way to put a legend on Control than Control?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 11:43:28 »

Ctrl. But we're seeing so many GMK sets that use Control these days, that I don't blame you for forgetting about Ctrl

Anyway, my vote is Control on both 1.25u and 1.5u since that's what the original G80-9009 board used.

Послато са SM-J510FN помоћу Тапатока

Offline jihadu

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 11:58:35 »
+1 for full legends
I'm a sucker for them

Offline surfortuna

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 12:07:53 »
noob question: how do the colors here compare to epbt 9009?  the renders look much brighter than my epbt set.  is this a limitation of pbt in general - duller colors?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 12:09:58 »

Ctrl. But we're seeing so many GMK sets that use Control these days, that I don't blame you for forgetting about Ctrl
Show Image

Anyway, my vote is Control on both 1.25u and 1.5u since that's what the original G80-9009 board used.

I failed my sarcasm to look like it, sorry. Ctrl. is for the peasants, Control is for kings. We are kings, aren´t we?  ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 12:31:25 »
noob question: how do the colors here compare to epbt 9009?  the renders look much brighter than my epbt set.  is this a limitation of pbt in general - duller colors?

Can you tell if this kb has ABS and/or PBT caps? If you think so, which ones are what?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 12:47:08 »
I failed my sarcasm to look like it, sorry. Ctrl. is for the peasants, Control is for kings. We are kings, aren´t we?  ;)

I wasn't quite sure if that was sarcasm or not, but I decided to reply anyway

Ctrl works well on some sets imo.

Offline surfortuna

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 13:50:51 »

Can you tell if this kb has ABS and/or PBT caps? If you think so, which ones are what?

Show Image

Based only on color, I can't tell.  I guess the vim keys look slightly darker and are not shiny, but it may just be an optical illusion with the green legends.  It is difficult to see the difference.  Is that your point?

Looking at the renders again, they do look close.  It's mainly this one in particular, the alphas look really white and the enter key looks like a brighter red:

maybe, i'm just crazy  ;D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 15:09:24 »

Show Image

Based only on color, I can't tell.  I guess the vim keys look slightly darker and are not shiny, but it may just be an optical illusion with the green legends.  It is difficult to see the difference.  Is that your point?

Looking at the renders again, they do look close.  It's mainly this one in particular, the alphas look really white and the enter key looks like a brighter red:
Show Image

maybe, i'm just crazy  ;D

That is my point exactly. My 50 kb is a salad of OG Cherry and PBT caps and they match quite well. Though, it is not totally fare comparison for ePBT because those caps are new and my OG's are already worn off, but it makes the point that they look pretty close. However, the main difference is not the color but the shape: PBT caps are a bit more conical and their tops a bit smaller than Cherry ABS caps; but, nothing that can be seen easily. Hope that helps with your decision.

Offline surfortuna

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 17:05:45 »

That is my point exactly. My 50 kb is a salad of OG Cherry and PBT caps and they match quite well. Though, it is not totally fare comparison for ePBT because those caps are new and my OG's are already worn off, but it makes the point that they look pretty close. However, the main difference is not the color but the shape: PBT caps are a bit more conical and their tops a bit smaller than Cherry ABS caps; but, nothing that can be seen easily. Hope that helps with your decision.

It does help, thanks for the info!

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 19:54:19 »
My keyboard is running ABS WYSE DCS keycaps beside some ePBT 9009 modifiers. But they go well together, nonetheless. It's kind of killing my incentive to get GMK 9009, because ePBT is nearly the same, except PBT.

Mind you, GMK ABS feels better on certain switches than thick PBT does.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 20:17:49 »
One of the hardest key to source is a R3 Control key for 40s and 50s. I'd love to see one in this upcoming nice set.

Offline Vinoypark

« Reply #176 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 20:39:21 »
Filled out the form. Super excited!

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 04:07:05 »
Hi all,

Cool to see this set come back once again!

I have some concerns regarding the arrow placement. I was scratching my head when I saw the explanation of the old down arrows ending in the middle of the cap. And the new ones being centered on the middle point. None of these things seem to be correct. The old legends actually go further down than the middle, and the new ones are not centered in the middle but also sitting further down. So the idea of it being centered is not really what is currently happening.

The second issue is the weight distribution of the symbol (the arrow) it self. They can simply not just be centered, but they need to be optically centered to not seem off (because of its odd shape).

In the new revised version it seems to me that the arrow is sitting too low, thus making it feel really bottom heavy and not centered at all (to me at least).

I made a quick sketch to show what I mean. My revised version is the one on the far right.

See this as constructive feedback, and it's just my opinion ..  happy to hear your thoughts.

Cheers!

Offline gnunin

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 05:36:31 »
Finally!

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 05:48:13 »
Hi all,

I have some concerns regarding the arrow placement. I was scratching my head when I saw the explanation of the old down arrows ending in the middle of the cap. And the new ones being centered on the middle point. None of these things seem to be correct. The old legends actually go further down than the middle, and the new ones are not centered in the middle but also sitting further down. So the idea of it being centered is not really what is currently happening.

The second issue is the weight distribution of the symbol (the arrow) it self. They can simply not just be centered, but they need to be optically centered to not seem off (because of its odd shape).

In the new revised version it seems to me that the arrow is sitting too low, thus making it feel really bottom heavy and not centered at all (to me at least).

I made a quick sketch to show what I mean. My revised version is the one on the far right.

Show Image

See this as constructive feedback, and it's just my opinion ..  happy to hear your thoughts.

Cheers!

Good point, we're looking into this!

Offline break

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 09:07:50 »
Hi all,

Show Image

Cheers!

Wow, once you see this you can't unsee it!

Offline GarrettSucks

• All project timelines at at timelines.omnitype.com
    • Omnitype
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 11:14:26 »
Hi all,

Show Image

Cheers!

First of all, thank you for putting in the effort to help this set be the best it can be.

This mockup was simply meant to be a basic, visual representation of the changes; not a schematic for the changes. I never expected it be taken as such. I do not have the official vectors from GMK on the arrows, so these are just manually hand made icons, that definitely are not to spec. As you can see, the simple cap models are not even to spec to a real cap, just enough to demonstrate. We all know that just explaining something with words is not enough. So I don't want people to be scared when looking at your analysis of these mockups and think this is 100% what they will look like, down to the mm. We just needed to show the difference in the top left vs the centered legends.

With that said...

Your comment did make me go back and look at the mockup to see if I could better represent them and I did find that the legends are poorly centered (as you pointed out) therefore creating the problems you have discussed. I have corrected the alignment issues on all the caps for a better representation of what the changes will be. But once again, these are not meant to be seen as an exact end result.

Also, another thing you mentioned is our (my) explanation of the legends ending in the middle of the cap being incorrect. You are correct in me being incorrect. The legends do go over the center line, so it would probably be better to just say they are Top Left Aligned. So I admit that was an incorrect way of explaining it. However, it does not change the goal and end result of what we want to accomplish. But I appreciate you calling it out so we can correct it.

Updated mockup is below

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 11:23:36 »
nice!  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 13:43:03 »
……
 But I appreciate you calling it out so we can correct it.

Updated mockup is below

GarrettSucks, let me be the first to tell you that you seem to suck less than what you give yourself credit for.  :thumb:

I look forward to seeing a fully updated draft with the rest of the feedback tended to. :)

Offline Tequila_Heineken

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 14:49:33 »
Were the renders made with the final alignments as well? If not it would be good to have them updated, just to see how things will look like.

Offline Hydrolithium

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 18:38:34 »
Wow, I can't wait for this to run!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 23:35:24 »
Okay, but will the Caps Lock purse return?

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 00:17:05 »

mans here asking the real questions

Offline kgorin

• Formerly aka_gk
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 08:35:49 »
Am I tripping or the option icon in Modern set is upside down?
Is it possible to get a 'command' icon (⌘) while we're at it considering 'control' and 'option' are already there?

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2019, 08:43:10 by kgorin »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 08:51:01 »

mans here asking the real questions
Never

Offline Captain Shwah

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 09:56:05 »

That icon is Alt, not meant to be Mac Option.

Offline idlemao

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 12:02:55 »
I'm in

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #192 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 12:53:51 »
Is it possible to get a 'command' icon (⌘) while we're at it considering 'control' and 'option' are already there?

Show Image

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_key

Offline kgorin

• Formerly aka_gk
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 14:08:33 »
That icon is Alt, not meant to be Mac Option.
Alt is functionally equivalent to Option on mac os
Forgive my ignorance, I just have never seen that icon used in windows context of any kind, same as the Ctrl "arrow up" icon from the same kit. On the contrary in mac os ctrl, alt (option), command icons are used everywhere
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2019, 14:15:03 by kgorin »

Offline jedidood

• aka neovisual
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 15:19:58 »
Oh my.... I can't believe this is coming back... Take my money!!!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 17:04:40 »
Oh my.... I can't believe this is coming back... Take my money!!!

Okay, I can take it!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 17:41:32 »
Alt is functionally equivalent to Option on mac os
Forgive my ignorance, I just have never seen that icon used in windows context of any kind, same as the Ctrl "arrow up" icon from the same kit. On the contrary in mac os ctrl, alt (option), command icons are used everywhere

https://unicode-table.com/en/2387/
https://unicode-table.com/en/2325/

The two icons are distinct.

GMK's Alt icon is kind of a compromise between the two: it's missing the arrow like the Mac Option icon, but it's flipped around like the standard Alt icon.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2019, 21:53:10 by constexpr »

Offline Zacharius

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 17:42:36 »
Just gonna subtlety ask if VIM Keys will be back again? Pls merciful OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vv-w

« Reply #198 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 21:48:54 »
How much was the base set for the last group buy?

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #199 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 22:14:02 »
We appreciate the work you guys are doing to update this classic. If it’s not too much to ask, is it possible to get the rows and sizes of the keys in the different child kits added for clarity?