Author Topic: Let's identify this keyboard (The Social Network)  (Read 11079 times)

Offline twej

Let's identify this keyboard (The Social Network)
« on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 08:23:46 »
Here are some screencaps of the keyboard from The Social Network--

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 09:05:35 »
Could be a Dell AT101. Or else some generic thing.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 09:44:41 »
It is not Dell AT101W, but it is a Dell QuietKey. I am sure of it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 January 2011, 09:50:11 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Pylon

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 10:12:12 »
Yep, looks like my old Quietkey. AT101/Ws have a much larger bezel above the F-keys.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 10:16:26 »
I was close. -ish. ;)
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline gilgam

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 10:50:23 »
I know a lot of people spending 40 K + $ on a car and unable to pay a 200-300$ for a daily important tool like a keyboard.

My car sucks but my keyboard is great...

Was  this film watchable ? It is said to be a good one...
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline Pylon

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 11:13:34 »
QuietKeys aren't bad as long as you stick to the made-in-Thailand models. One of the best rubber domes out there IMO in terms of key feel and quality, though keycaps were thin and laser printing sucks.

Offline steeef

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 11:13:54 »
If I remember right, he had a nicer-looking keyboard, but he pulled this one out when he was hunkering down for a night of coding. Almost like he preferred typing on the QuietKey. Would've been cooler if it was an AT101W.

Yeah, I enjoyed the movie, definitely worth watching.
Cherry MX Blue: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless. Cherry MX Black: TG3 KBA-BLTD-5RBUVS (Police Cruiser keyboard). Cherry MX Clear: KBC Poker (modded with Ergo Clears) Cherry MX Brown: Goldtouch GTC-077 USB numpad. Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401 (1989-01-03 and 1991-11-21).

Offline gilgam

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 11:48:53 »
@steef

he could have taken a HHKB :-)

Thanks for the advice, Facebook is such a ... thing i was not so enthusiast watching it.
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline Pylon

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 12:10:35 »
Quote from: steeef;279888
If I remember right, he had a nicer-looking keyboard, but he pulled this one out when he was hunkering down for a night of coding. Almost like he preferred typing on the QuietKey. Would've been cooler if it was an AT101W.

Yeah, I enjoyed the movie, definitely worth watching.

I'd personally prefer an RT7D5JTW Quietkey over black Alps. Though I haven't tried the AT101W, and keycaps seem to make a big difference for Alps.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 12:11:11 »
Although some close have said Zuckerberg was portrayed incorrectly (like Matt Cohler), I believe if he had been it would have been a boring movie. What the film shows about startups and entrepreneurship is both interesting and inspiring. Worth seeing, esp. if you are interested in startups and/or entrepreneurship.

Offline aynjell

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 16:34:06 »
I enjoyed the flick. Much closer to actual computer work than any computer based movie I've ever seen.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 17:37:01 »
Quote from: aynjell;280045
I enjoyed the flick. Much closer to actual computer work than any computer based movie I've ever seen.

That's also true. It's maybe the only movie I've seen that's realistic AND makes programming look fun/cool.

Offline aynjell

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 18:08:46 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;280070
That's also true. It's maybe the only movie I've seen that's realistic AND makes programming look fun/cool.

As soon as I heard the words wget magic, I cheered. I think the guys in front of me at the theater got pretty pissed off. Also, I'm probably the only person in the theater who realized how realistic that was, or even knew that the OS on his PC was real, and not some fake made-up thing. But um... boo to KDE?

I need to give linux another try sometime in the future, I just don't really have a machine for it. I imagine once some of the other pieces of my life fall into place I'll be able to buy a laptop. I'm thinking a used Dell latitude D630 or D620... and then drop gentoo on it or something. :O

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 18:10:29 »
Yea I dunno...KDE isn't too bad. I used to use Kubuntu but I fell in love with Win 7.

Offline aynjell

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 18:14:58 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;280091
Yea I dunno...KDE isn't too bad. I used to use Kubuntu but I fell in love with Win 7.

Yeah, my main machine is a gaming machine and thus it's usage of Windows 7, and I don't care what any linux gamer says, you can't really use linux as a primary gaming OS if you play games almost exclusively on the machine. I suppose you could but the success rate will be lower. Being able just drop the disk in or double click the icon in steam without having to try various versions of wine, cedega, or tweak countless game specific settings is not just a perk, but a requirement for a gaming machine.

If you have to fight to get a game running on your operating system, the machine it's installed on ceases to be a gaming machine... and with the number of games I play it's just not an option. All you linux gamers, don't hate... just understand that for a gaming box, I want maximum compatibility and ease of use. I want less pc and more console when it comes to getting my games to work, but more pc and less console when I'm playing them. ;)

All that being said, most of the games I'm playing nowadays appear to have native linux clients... quake live, quake 3, minecraft, unreal tournament 2004, etc. It's sad to see most of the big firms have completely abandoned linux, epic and id included if I understood what id said about rage correctly (no linux support). Hopefully that isn't the case and I'm misinformed... valve supposedly is gonna make linux gaming easier with steam however. If I start seeing a large amount of games available on steam for linux I might just make the hop over to linux and start playing. :O

Oh, and another thought, until recently my home server ran linux. Now it runs windows vista ultimate because everything just works on that too. Media streaming to my 360, file sharing with windows boxes (in case you don't know, samba is slower than windows for windows file sharing by a considerable amount, probably 10-20%). I am probably going to give it a try again so that I'm not just saying die... now that I've got that machine mostly optimized for the service it provides on a hardware level. I need to get it re-oc'd and get the fans running quieter because right now it's running infernally loud.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 January 2011, 18:17:05 by aynjell »

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 18:27:08 »
Actually the crazy Wine developers got Steam working on Linux now. I used it and it's pretty awesome. CS Source and UT 99 played great! Didn't get a chance to try any other games though.

Offline ynih

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 18:27:24 »
This movie was a lot better than seeing random Adobe Afteraffects overlay on the computer and making cutsy beeping noises in the background while the computer operater typed stuff...haha
Keyboards: (2) FKBN87MC/EB | (2) FKBN87M/EB | (1) FKBN87ML/EB | (1) FKBN87Z/EB | (1) FKBN104M/AI | (1) FKBN104MC/AI | (1) FKB104M/EB | (1) RK-9000 | (1) RF 86U SE05C0 all 45g modded | (1) HHKB 2 Pro PD-KB400W

Offline George7

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 14:35:16 »
Located a bunch of these at work. They're all extremely yellowed/dirty. Suprisingly excellent to type on though. One of the best rubber dome boards I've ever typed on.

Offline Me@Work

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 03:22:31 »
Stills from the Blu-ray version: http://i.imgur.com/cLYYj.jpg http://i.imgur.com/iJ4Be.jpg

Definitely Dell keyboard, looks like a Logitech possibly mouse.

Excellent movie by the way.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 09:14:46 »
Definitely a Quietkey, as mentioned.
-Keycap color
-Size of bezels
-Quietkeys have that cylindrical rounded profile across all the bottom keys, not only the spacebar as often with other keyboards.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 09:22:14 »
Quote from: Findecanor;279838
It is not Dell AT101W, but it is a Dell QuietKey. I am sure of it.

This.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 09:50:46 »
Quote from: Pylon;282794
-Quietkeys have that cylindrical rounded profile across all the bottom keys, not only the spacebar as often with other keyboards.

Dell AT101W does too have spacebar-rounded keys on the bottom row.

The biggest tell I noticed was the keypad Enter key: The "Enter" label is just under the top edge and not centered as on most other keyboards.
🍉

Offline MissileMike

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 13:48:40 »
Now, for us freaks on here, the Quietkey is a below average keyboard for sure.  But in the general sense, it's wayyyy better than 99% of the keyboards people are using right now.  Definitely one of the top domes, along with some older NMB domes.

The movie is very good by the way.
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 23:33:57 »
Quote from: MissileMike;282924
Now, for us freaks on here, the Quietkey is a below average keyboard for sure.  But in the general sense, it's wayyyy better than 99% of the keyboards people are using right now.  Definitely one of the top domes, along with some older NMB domes.

The movie is very good by the way.

The Dell Quietkey was my first ever 'pseudo'-mechanical keyboard with a better-than-average feel than rest of the crappy domes out there.

After that, I got another pseudo Acer keyboard which was slightly betterbut less well built than the Dell's Quietkey.

And then there was the oddball click Alps from a thrift store and then a huge jump to the Filco, lol.

Never looking back since!

PS: Great movie too btw

Offline rhaldz

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 05:18:27 »
Oh :D I have that keyboard! Its DELL QuietKey Model: SK8000
It has a very long PS2 Wire.

Offline strum4h

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 05:31:14 »
There is an internet movie weapon database that shows all the weapons from films. Geekhack could start the Internet movie keyboard database.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Tenkeyless with Browns  - SIIG minitouch GHSS

Offline Pylon

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 05:48:11 »
The SK-8000 isn't very good in my opinion. I have two broken ones lying in the basement and the key feel is mediocre and the keys wobble quite a bit (it seems a lot of Silitek boards from that era had wobbly keys, I have an SK-2565 from a few years older with compatible keycaps and it has really wobbly keys). I'm not exactly sure about the SK-1000REW, but it's quite possibly a cost-reduced SK-1000REW.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 06:11:17 »
I enjoyed the movie alot.  I've only seen it once and I pull quotes from it.  ("I'm CEO, *****es!")  I did not understand all the Oscar buzz about the movie, or why it was nominated for so many awards.  It seemed like the movie was getting it's nominations on the weight of Facebook and not the movie standing on it's own.  I didn't think it was Oscar-worthy, but still very good.  Justin Timberlake might become some kind of an actor though, huh?

I remember (not so awful long ago) when you had to have a valid .edu account to join Facebook.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 07:46:27 »
- Great movie
- I actually have almost that identical keyboard in my mom's basement, it's pretty solid for a rubber dome. I'll have to get the exact ID number next time I'm there. It actually feels closer to my Realforce than the random domes we have lying around the office here.

If you're really hunkering for Linux, just download VirtualBox (it's free and almost as good as VMWare) and Ubuntu. That way you can have your Win7 and...eat your Linux too. Or something like that. That's what I have set up and home and it works pretty well.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 12:17:04 »
I had a Dell D820 running Gentoo that I also managed to get setup as a VirtualBox machine on my main rig.  All I had to do was plug in the laptop hdd to the esata on my rig and bring up virtualbox.  Made things a lot more convenient for me.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 13:00:01 »
VirtualBox actually was the first such software that I used, just days ago. (Yeah, I'm a bit behind the times...) The oldest version they still have available can be persuaded to run on Win2k, and after getting somewhat newer guest extensions for Ubuntu 9.10 the graphics performence has been quite reasonable as well. You'll need a good bit of patience on a sub-GHz machine (along with a few hundred megs of RAM to spare, of course), but it's doable. This is what I use to compile Rockbox now.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline dongkun

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 13:47:34 »
chicony seems a lot of characteristics of the product.
 Silitek is a step on the top of the F key.
 NMB, the smaller the top of the F key.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 14:36:23 »
I suspect that photo was taken when he was still a virgin.

woody

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 15:53:01 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;342118
VirtualBox actually was the first such software that I used, just days ago. (Yeah, I'm a bit behind the times...) The oldest version they still have available can be persuaded to run on Win2k, and after getting somewhat newer guest extensions for Ubuntu 9.10 the graphics performence has been quite reasonable as well. You'll need a good bit of patience on a sub-GHz machine (along with a few hundred megs of RAM to spare, of course), but it's doable. This is what I use to compile Rockbox now.
x86 CPUs of the last few years added hardware support for virtualization (AMD-V, Intel VT), which allows the user-space code to run in native mode without emulation. You might want to upgrade to such CPU if you plan more VM work.