Author Topic: [IC] Series 5.88 - Safa - GB Feb 14th (Pricing Anounced)  (Read 61671 times)

Offline NightRye_

• keebs n' fluff
Re: [IC] Series 5.88 - Safa
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 06 December 2021, 08:56:25 »
This board is a must have.

Offline alwaysbless

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 06 December 2021, 22:29:16 »
Green looks very nice. What made you decide on internal weight only? Back looks plain but I still dig. Personally think itd look nice also with a larger sized arrow cluster logo too. GLWS

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 06 December 2021, 22:34:25 »
To me, this is what I preferred, but I wanted to ensure it was discreet whilst still making the board identifiable.

For me (very much non-Arabic speaker, took me about a minute to understand what parts of Safa in the post correspond to the calligraphic version in the engraving) this is the main thing attracting me to this board. There is an abundance of TKLs both existing and coming, and if it were not for the engraving (or even worse, if it had been in latin letters), then I would not have given this much more than a glance. Because, well, rectangle, sounds like a keyboard. This really sets this board apart, and I appreciate that it is there.
Best,
Johannes
Set your keyboard to arabic in windows, then type “wthx”

Like I said, something small to identify it. Everything else is supposed to be as boring as it can be. Rectangle good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't read Arabic either, but I think the badge and the script look beautiful. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting Arabic alphas from the last CRP drop!

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 08:01:42 »
Not a fan of letters on top of the board where it just sits in front of you whether you like it or not. This is even more unattractive when something is written in other language and its unfamiliar. Please offer an option without it. Other than that great ic, great board. Looking forward to this
Jane, Whale, and every other tkl in existence sweating rn.

All of those atleast had something in english. This one is completely unfamiliar. IMO nothing > logos, art > letters. Please consider an option without it
I forgot English is the only language!

Its not about the "Only Language" but more about if you recognize something you see every day. Understanding english does not mean I am saying english is the only language. I was trying to provide point of view of how from someone who doesnt understand arabic looks at highlighted engravings, but looks like feedback is met with snarky remarks and jabs. Sad to see please and requests are met with snide comments and person I thought was not ******* be an *******

I don't want drama in this thread so let me address it. You may as well ignore the comments made before and hear my thought process behind it.

صفاء = Safa in Arabic. I understand as a non arabic speaker you and many others will see this and not understand it. My counterargument is this. We see many many boards with Hirigana, Katakana, and many other languages being openly displayed on a case.

The engraving I am using was made to be discreet, is barely visible from a seating position and to be clear - is not infilled / highlighted out of the box. For me, this is my signature on the board (well, not really, but moreso an easy identifier for others). I tried many iterations, from more calligraphic designs above the arrows, to just nothing. To me, this is what I preferred, but I wanted to ensure it was discreet whilst still making the board identifiable.

I hope that clears things up a little...

I understand the choices made as a designer and I respect it. Thanks for info.

Offline chive_

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 10:20:44 »
Very interested, will keep an eye on this. glwic paul!

Offline Phractals

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 14:52:57 »
Green looks very nice. What made you decide on internal weight only? Back looks plain but I still dig. Personally think itd look nice also with a larger sized arrow cluster logo too. GLWS

The reasoning for internal weight is literally right there in the post.

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 15:14:45 »

TLDR: Hot and humid in Dubai. I wanted a portable board that I don't have to worry about patina, don't want it to weigh much and can throw in the backpack to the office. I also type on boards, or display them with caps facing me. I don't look at the bottom. This isnt me saying I won't make other boards with external weights - I have, but the tkl was designed around my personal use case, and I wanted to share that thought process here  :thumb:

Hopefully that makes sense. Over a year since I started the project, the primary focus never changed, it was always feel and sound. Aesthetic was meant to be sleek, without taking a back seat. There's elegance in simplicity  :D

Offline linell

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 16:01:16 »
Not a fan of letters on top of the board where it just sits in front of you whether you like it or not. This is even more unattractive when something is written in other language and its unfamiliar. Please offer an option without it. Other than that great ic, great board. Looking forward to this

All of those atleast had something in english. This one is completely unfamiliar. IMO nothing > logos, art > letters. Please consider an option without it

paul lives in uae
uae has kb community
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ y not use arabic
bro this a **** set, just be thankful you even getting 1 base running fr

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 02:24:17 »
After listening to people in the hobby I have the utmost respect for, as well as advice provided by vendors, this is no longer an unlimited run, and will instead be capped at 400 units (+ extras for backup).

One (very) good outcome to this is an estimated ETA of 6/7(ish) months for board production. I would rather deliver a board faster at the same price than wait a year. I am keeping this to 400 to allow me to release a possible F12 version sooner than expected, so if you prefer an F12 variant, keep your eyes out for it (ETA Q4 2022)

Offline mmayhem17

• Steam profile
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 03:01:58 »
Sad for the cap...but expected i guess.

Flippers gonna love it tho, i hope i can get an unit.

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 03:24:40 »
Sad for the cap...but expected i guess.

Flippers gonna love it tho, i hope i can get an unit.
Flippers gonna hate it. Trust me, I have a plan

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 15:17:28 »
I hope it makes the price point, very good value and clean and simple design
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline circill

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 16:58:45 »
I'll be buying 4, woulda been 5 if green was in the gb ;(. Still though, this whole board is a work of art, thank you so much for your work.

Offline linell

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 19:27:23 »
hopefully I can snag one  ;D
bro this a **** set, just be thankful you even getting 1 base running fr

Offline mongoose27

• WKL FTW
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 21:18:13 »
Simplistic, 88key with O-ring/top-mount and black pp....count me in.

...that proto green so nice though.   Porque no green?

Offline circill

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 09:27:13 »

It’s a simple tkl with arabic script at the top, the design language is pretty universal and there are so many other boards out there that are simple if you want. The world doesn’t revolve around your opinion.

Offline KKoNaM

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 13:07:51 »
Will the raw aluminum version be cheaper?

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 05:16:32 »
ABNT2 support has been added, and ALPS plate will be an option. The PCB for safa doesnt support alps, but if you are buying hiney's h88, youll be set. Just offering plates in the GB as an optional addon since, might as well, even if you plan to not own this board, here's your chance to pick up alu alps plates.

Offline mmayhem17

• Steam profile
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 05:32:05 »
Nice to see Brazilian getting attention, even though as a br i'm not abnt2 user. Thanks again Paul.  :thumb:

Offline soundstage

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 05:48:28 »
ABNT2 support has been added, and ALPS plate will be an option. The PCB for safa doesnt support alps, but if you are buying hiney's h88, youll be set. Just offering plates in the GB as an optional addon since, might as well, even if you plan to not own this board, here's your chance to pick up alu alps plates.

Can you please give link to hiney's h88?

Offline aa212121

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 07:50:39 »
Geez u are a God! very very appreciated for the alps support! <3

Can you please give link to hiney's h88?
Keep an eye on Hiney's discord http://discord.hineybush.com/, he will announce it there. this is his website: https://hineybush.com/collections/pcbs/products/h88c-preorder?variant=39389522133094
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 December 2021, 07:56:15 by aa212121 »

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 03:12:22 »
Looks and sounds great Baul!  GL w the gb... looks like this will be a banger!

Offline noorejji

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 08:51:50 »
Would like to see option for sans engraving.

Offline Clarencehehe

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 10:24:21 »
Man oh man this is cool. Most exciting bottom row of 2021, this keeb is really challenging my "no more than one keyboard per layout" limit I've set for myself, starting to feel some mr. suit buyers remorse creep in. Definitely interested, great job and good luck with the IC.

Offline Diggidy

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 11:40:03 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 October 2023, 05:37:38 by Diggidy »

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 15:38:43 »
Is hiney regularly offering his 87/88's w/ only JST (USB delete) and DB now?

I hope so, he just announced he's going full time. That being said - you should be able to just snap off the USB, albeit, I'm not sure if you can with all his variants.

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 16:28:31 »
i have spent hours attempting to wrap my head around why you pictured both a wk 7u bottom row and a wkl 7u bottom row on the PCB. its literally the same thing  :blank:
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline mmayhem17

• Steam profile
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 16:47:19 »
i have spent hours attempting to wrap my head around why you pictured both a wk 7u bottom row and a wkl 7u bottom row on the PCB. its literally the same thing  :blank:
My guess is that there are people that would ask if WKL 7u is compatible  :D

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 09:01:48 »
It’s from the via config files I created. There are separate options for wk and wkl in the firmware. Why? It looks pretty with the blocker in via

Offline XCaellaX

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 24 December 2021, 14:24:20 »
Totally hyped by the board! Will there be a way to order both Winkey and WKL tops for one bottom?

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 14:29:39 »
Totally hyped by the board! Will there be a way to order both Winkey and WKL tops for one bottom?
In this current round and it being the first public run of mine, I won’t be able to add on specific parts like extra tops. Plates and pcbs are fine for addons.

I will double check but that’s a rather unusual request. Won’t hurt to ask though, I’ll get back to you.

Offline LaserCrafter

• reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 16:04:35 »
this board is a must buy tbh.
Keyboard Collection: Unikorn, Orion v2.5, Orion v3, Realforce 87u, Viper v3, NMB RT8756CGR, Unicorn x Legend, Das II, TC-V3, Jetfire, Wang 325-3770, Lightpad v2

Keyset Collection: OG Doubleshots, CRP 2551 R4, Muted 2, Cyan R1, WoB, DCS Wyse, ISO OG POM, ePBT Blanks, BSP Blanks, BoW + Gigachild

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 17:38:03 »

If you know. You know.

Offline 7h3of7

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 17:39:40 »
Show Image

If you know. You know.

ne weight avail?
Current Board: OTD 356 Mini v1 Black

Offline mmayhem17

• Steam profile
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 17:40:48 »
Show Image

If you know. You know.

nice hands.

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 28 December 2021, 00:19:33 »
Show Image

If you know. You know.

engrave this on my tombstone
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline Dyto69

• 420 blaze it but dont forget 69
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 28 December 2021, 01:56:37 »
I'm so excited to see the IC for Safa, I will go for the Navy or Grey. Thank you Paul (and everyone that helped)

Offline gilbert

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 28 December 2021, 06:28:40 »
Show Image

If you know. You know.

ne weight avail?
Collection: F1.69, G80-5K, Bliss TKL, Ecliptica, Cypher, Safa S588, Southpaw Fullsize, HHKB Pro2, Zenith G80-1192HAD

Offline Omarpixel9

• I like keyboards and pixels
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 28 December 2021, 11:18:53 »
Show Image

If you know. You know.

nice sandals
60% gasket mount

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 23:00:35 »
Are there any side profile pictures?

Offline paulgali

• SKME
Re: [IC] Series 5.88 - Safa - GB Feb 14th
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 08:27:25 »
I had a chat with Max. I do not want Safa and Pheonix to conflict, and because Max's US vendor has pushed to march, I am bringing Safa a wee bit closer.

It should avoid the pheonix, since Safa will be a 400 unit FCFS sale. Max and I have discussed this and agreed it is ok.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 10:33:15 »
Great news about the GB! Would you consider adding Prototypist/Protozoa or someone else as a UK vendor? I'd love to pick one of these up, as the design and proportions are just perfect.

Offline whitewolf154

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 15 January 2022, 14:55:58 »
Please add a Canadian vendor for this keyboard 🙏🙏🙏

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 06:49:43 »
Great news about the GB! Would you consider adding Prototypist/Protozoa or someone else as a UK vendor? I'd love to pick one of these up, as the design and proportions are just perfect.

MKBEU have assured UK sales will go through without a hitch. Remember, the more vendors, the higher the variance in cost. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible

Please add a Canadian vendor for this keyboard 🙏🙏🙏

MKBEU will have a locked timeslot for US/CA. It costs less to ship from Europe in 3 days than it would to calculate all fees RE imports to the US and Canada, margins are incredibly tight on this and I did speak to vendors from the region but it was too tight for comfort. Those tariffs really are ruining things  :(

Offline TjarleN

« Reply #144 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 01:38:09 »
MKBEU will have a locked timeslot for US/CA.

Does this mean there is still a unit allocation for different regions (also for eu)? I would appreciate that but it sounds like a lot more work for mkbeu.

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 01:54:21 »
MKBEU will have a locked timeslot for US/CA.

Does this mean there is still a unit allocation for different regions (also for eu)? I would appreciate that but it sounds like a lot more work for mkbeu.
Of course, EU will also get a dedicated slot.

It’s a bit more work but I’ve been told it’s not an issue.

Offline Scriba

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 21 January 2022, 07:15:50 »
looks really good

Offline gotgoodiez

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 21 January 2022, 22:00:38 »
The Navy color is gorgeous! I hope I get a chance to pick one of these boards up, amazing work.

Offline vhwatgoes

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 23 January 2022, 19:16:07 »
Aw! That green is so nice! It's too bad it's not included in the run :c

Offline QuixoNik

« Reply #149 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 13:16:12 »
Honestly I would reconsider on including green in the gb. Green on Arabic looks so lit!