Author Topic: [GB] MxSS - Polycarb 65% Kit for MX/SMK [Kinda close to finishing again?!]  (Read 120208 times)

Offline pr0ximity

Re: [GB] MxSS - Polycarb 65% Kit for MX/SMK [Brass parts update]
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 05:47:36 »
Doesn't electroplating add material to the part and therefore change tolerances? I believe riot had some problems with that when he was prototyping the Keycult which is why it wasn't available. For a switchplate would it change the size of the switch cutouts?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 05:49:56 »
Doesn't electroplating add material to the part and therefore change tolerances? I believe riot had some problems with that when he was prototyping the Keycult which is why it wasn't available. For a switchplate would it change the size of the switch cutouts?

I am aware of this and it is not a problem, it would be within the tolerance margins that MX style switches adhere to.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 11:36:40 »
Nice. Looking forward to seeing these in the wild!
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 12:25:35 »
I'm just curious, but what is the material they are electroplating onto the brass for the silver? Is it nickel?
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 21:29:21 »
I'm just curious, but what is the material they are electroplating onto the brass for the silver? Is it nickel?

No, it will be chrome.

Offline dwarflemur

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 10 May 2018, 12:48:50 »
For some reason the email went to my spam in gmail, looking good though!
Camp C225 | Norbatouch | ALF X2 + X3 | Orange TKL | CA66 | Leaf 60 | a bunch of others

Offline HardcoreDesk

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 10 May 2018, 15:43:38 »
Super interested in any potential extras :)

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 07:33:49 »
Some stainless steel plates have been polished, ready to be black nickel plated.

As an aside, I did get offered one other type of finish, but the price was uhh, how do I put it, a touch expensive.
With that said, if anyone wants any brass parts finished with gold electroplating (meaning actual gold), it will cost about 40USD a part and have one side matte and the other mirror finished, so feel free to let me know if you're crazy enough to want it  :p

For the time being, I have an extra polycarb plate, an extra brass plate and a few PCBs up for grabs, feel free to message me about that as well  :thumb:

We're just waiting on 2 more people to confirm their stance on brass parts before proceeding with finishing brass parts.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 May 2018, 07:58:58 by MxBlue »

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 12:49:44 »
As an aside, I did get offered one other type of finish, but the price was uhh, how do I put it, a touch expensive.
With that said, if anyone wants any brass parts finished with gold electroplating (meaning actual gold), it will cost about 40USD a part and have one side matte and the other mirror finished, so feel free to let me know if you're crazy enough to want it  :p

I'm one of those who hasn't responded, in part because I've been kind of indecisive over which option to go for.  I might be crazy enough to want this though ;)

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 06:37:47 »

I'm one of those who hasn't responded, in part because I've been kind of indecisive over which option to go for.  I might be crazy enough to want this though ;)

I asked my contact this morning for pics, I hope to get a reply in a day or two :thumb:

Offline olivia

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 10:35:48 »

I asked my contact this morning for pics, I hope to get a reply in a day or two :thumb:

I am definitely crazy, count me in  ;D

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 14:06:17 »
Interested in extras...

Offline lac29

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 15:20:15 »
What is the current status with extras? I am reconsidering jumping on it after the death memeboard.

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 20:10:15 »
Hey guys, mini update.

I asked about gold electroplating on Saturday, and unfortunately my contact was not able to show me sufficient reference images, so we agreed to get some parts plated as a sample. Once they're completed and the details finalised, I'll send out another email with the details and exact costs of the plating.

To the people asking about extras, as you can see, there appears to be quite a bit of demand  :p I cannot promise too much after the few changes in circumstance, but I will post availability in this thread if they do become available, which will be after the GB if that is the case.

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 09:12:52 »
I got 2 brass weights with 2 different finishes. One gold electroplated, the other a electrophoretic coating (essentially a thin clearcoat). I am having them send the parts to me for checking on colour first, before I proceed with emailing everyone, and then the buy itself. I apologise for the delays, but I feel that the more meticulous process will get us a better result. Here are some pics from the factory, so please be considerate of the lighting  :p

Gold plating bottom, electrophoretic top:

A closeup of the electrophoretic coated part:

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 08:05:50 »
Hey everyone, time for another update on the brass parts situation, good and bad news this time.

Good news first, working with the factory, I have found the electrophoretic coating a good replacement to the original coating, I'm going to assume no one wants the inferior UV coat over this.

The bad news, unfortunately my factory has an issue with electroplating. Basically, they cannot electroplate without having a side flawed. This leaves me quite disappointed, because the side that isn't flawed, looks gorgeous (the top piece):

This is what the blemish looks like:

The electroplating issue affects people who wanted either gold or silver electroplating. For anyone who chose UV coated parts, I am swapping you over to electrophoretic parts as I really see no downside to them. As this essentially ends up as a perfect replacement for the original coating, I am redacting the discount I previously offered, as the factory is doing the same. I will ask the factory to make the internal facing parts the "bad" side of the electroplating if anyone is still interested in it. This refers to the bottom of the plate, and the internal facing side of the weight.

Here are more comparison pics: https://imgur.com/a/0imD0OU

Since a lot of people requested the silver electroplating, I will open up a form again to allow people to confirm/change choices. Check your email or message me for a link to it.

You only need to fill the form if you chose silver electroplating (regardless of if you want to change or not), or if you want gold electroplating despite the blemishes and added cost (+$40USD per part). All UV coated parts will be swapped to the electrophoretic coating.

A small progress update:
Polycarb parts have nearly finished the polishing stage, basically nearing completion
Brass parts are on hold as you can see
Steel parts are on hold due to the plating on them being too dull for my liking: https://imgur.com/a/SnxzD7z We are working on a better plating, I will put out an update when we figure it out.
PCBs are nearing completion, the prototype was late, but should get to me by Monday so I can make sure it's all good before proceeding.

Thanks,
Mx

Offline dantambok

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 09:20:07 »
Looks great! Thanks for the update. Can’t wait for my first polycarb board :)
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 15:02:42 »
I thought those black nickel parts looked pretty good! 
I can't wait to see what they look like when they're perfect though!

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 15:38:14 »
I thought those black nickel parts looked pretty good! 
I can't wait to see what they look like when they're perfect though!

A lot of people have told me, but I prefer shinier so I'll be aiming for that :p

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 18:13:36 »
It saddens me to say that thanks to a design issue, the plate does not support off centre capslock. I can only apologise for this inconvenience.

I hope to bring good news soon regarding the buy, sample PCBs have shipped to me and will be arriving shortly.

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 18:45:58 »
PCB prototypes arrived and are working as intended, so PCB production should resume and finish shortly, then we'll be waiting on the rest of the hardware.

EDIT: Also, just waiting on 1 more person to confirm with me on the finish for brass, then we will continue.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 May 2018, 19:10:45 by MxBlue »

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 20:54:37 »
I've submitted the finish preferences to my factory now, I'll keep everyone updated  :thumb:

hervuli, don't worry, you'll have the option to change from silver electroplating later, just PM me when you get a chance (and when GH PMs are alive again :p ).

Those of you who requested gold electroplating, I will invoice you when I get invoiced, probably when things get shipped to me.

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 22:04:39 »

Rejoice, for we have achieved optimal shininess. Essentially, they'll polish the plates again, to get the black nickel plating shinier :thumb:

Ans with this, brass and steel parts are back on the production queue.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 May 2018, 22:10:13 by MxBlue »

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 10:41:25 »
"DAYUN" more like DAYUM

Looking great! I am super excited to get this board :)

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 03:35:37 »

Oof. Don't need many words for this update. Black nickel plated steel weight for anyone who didn't realise.

Offline JJ

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 05:06:35 »
ne extra spots avai?

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 05:08:51 »
ne extra spots avai?

Can't promise anything, I'll post if that's the case after the main orders have shipped.

Offline Captain Shwah

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 07:27:20 »
Show Image

Show Image

Oof. Don't need many words for this update. Black nickel plated steel weight for anyone who didn't realise.

:eek:

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:00:59 »
How close is this? I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a KeyCon reveal!

I have my Monterey blues ready and everything!

Offline Brannan

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 01:58:47 »
So peeerty

Offline Krona

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 05:41:32 »
Damn, missed this! Hope I get one of the extras

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 07:38:42 »
How close is this? I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a KeyCon reveal!

I have my Monterey blues ready and everything!

Apologies on the late reply, just found out the date for KeyCon. Would be... highly unlikely. I have uni exams for about 3wks, so it would be near impossible for me to pack everything in time to actually get it to your door by then, even if everything was ready by then  :'(

As for a progress report, nothing to give, I am waiting on my manufacturer to give me more solid updates to pass on.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 08:53:26 »
Hah, no problem. It was a dream to begin with.

That just means I won't "have to" rush to build it in a night or two if it showed up miraculously early!

Good luck on your exams!

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 06:24:06 »

That just means I won't "have to" rush to build it in a night or two if it showed up miraculously early!

Good luck on your exams!

I got some updates after I came out of today's exam though, no escape for me hehe.

Polycarb parts are nearly finished, black plated nickel parts done.

More

More

I think there's a few pics for ya there ;)

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 06:29:47 »

Good luck on your exams!

I got some updates after I came out of today's exam though, no escape for me hehe.

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looking extra good!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 06:38:15 »

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Holy ****... Looks dope :eek:

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 10:21:21 »
That's a lot more black nickel than I was expecting! Are all of those going to people? Or was there a minimum lot charge, so you made extras because it wouldn't cost any more?

Offline Remsky

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 11:39:16 »
That's a lot more black nickel than I was expecting! Are all of those going to people? Or was there a minimum lot charge, so you made extras because it wouldn't cost any more?
I mean there were 10 order of black nickel, and there are 8 there, so maybe 2 dropped out of it. The amount in the pics seems about right to me.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 14:52:40 »

I mean there were 10 order of black nickel, and there are 8 there, so maybe 2 dropped out of it. The amount in the pics seems about right to me.

There's 10 orders for black nickel plated parts, check out the order sheet.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 16:42:21 »
Really hoping I can snag one

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 16:48:27 »
Every time you post an update I get more excited for this board.  :thumb:
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Remsky

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 17:08:53 »

There's 10 orders for black nickel plated parts, check out the order sheet.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Oh I miscounted, my bad  :-[

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 07:30:42 »
I somehow missed the order sheet entirely... Whoops! Too excited I guess!

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 07:32:03 »
I somehow missed the order sheet entirely... Whoops! Too excited I guess!

It's there for my sanity more than yours, nothing missed haha  :))

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 07:37:29 »
One shipment of parts being sent out, with the 26 of the cases along with all the black nickel parts. Here's a little sneak peak:

As some of you may have noticed, I have a few ptototype colour units in this GB as well. I didn't offer them up publicly because there was all the chance things could end up horrible, but I was greeted with something a bit more pleasant:

Apologies again that this wasn't public, it was just something I did for myself along with 2 close friends.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 07:44:06 »
One shipment of parts being sent out, with the 26 of the cases along with all the black nickel parts. Here's a little sneak peak:
Show Image

Show Image

As some of you may have noticed, I have a few ptototype colour units in this GB as well. I didn't offer them up publicly because there was all the chance things could end up horrible, but I was greeted with something a bit more pleasant:
Show Image

Show Image

Apologies again that this wasn't public, it was just something I did for myself along with 2 close friends.
Them color cases are fire, can't wait to see the builds for them!

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 10:29:27 »
Damn, I want a color case now :(

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 06:52:32 »
I missed the color cases, too! I had NO IDEA that was even coming!
They do look excellent!
Are they dyed, or is the material just that color?

That purple looks great.

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 06:59:14 »
I missed the color cases, too! I had NO IDEA that was an option!
They do look excellent!
Are they dyed, or is the material just that color?

The top coat is coloured rather than clear. I wish to try and work with actual coloured polycarbonate, but that seems like it will be quite a challenge. If this method turns out well, I guess I don't need to try though  :))

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 08:34:32 »
Dang that purple is gonna be slick