Author Topic: Why there are so few topre keycaps?  (Read 9488 times)

Offline beartung

Why there are so few topre keycaps?
« on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 10:09:36 »
I am a fan of hhkb but I am very sad about the few options of keycaps. All I have got now are some red/orange blanks from EK, and a blue ESC from Japan amazon. And I am really depressed with the CC and Brobot keycaps cause they are too hard/expensive to get.

I am dreaming to get this:

61739-0

Could someone give me some suggestion?
Looking for Topre Orangesicle CC & Topre Limoncello CC

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
Re: Why there are so few topre keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 10:34:40 »
Realforce has stopped producing keycaps so the caps available are very limited. You are lucky you have some red and orange blanks. I think Taobao still has some printed ones but that is about all I know of.

Goodluck  :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 12:20:06 »
I haven't seen any on taobao in a while.

But yeah, realforce stopped producing keycaps about 6 months-a year ago, so they've been really hard to find. I was lucky enough to find a realforce with a pink set already on it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline lunr

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:16:18 »
I think EK still have the pink sets... but yeah, they are rare as f**k now. I think Taobao still have some but they are really expensive (170+). You're best bet is probably post or check the classified section and hope for the best.

Offline beartung

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 20:27:12 »
Realforce has stopped producing keycaps so the caps available are very limited. You are lucky you have some red and orange blanks. I think Taobao still has some printed ones but that is about all I know of.

Goodluck  :thumb:

Thanks for reply. I am in China but I can't find any non-printed blanks too for a while... With some luck, I bought a gasmask topre yestoday and the price is 145rmb(which means about 24$ T_T)  That's why I jumped to here.

So if anyone who has green non-printed blanks to trade/exchange, please PM me! And I am seeking for a Hack Orange CC too.

I can purchase by Paypal or transfer green ones with my red/orange non-printed blanks.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 April 2014, 20:34:47 by beartung »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 21:12:51 »
Demand is there, and soon someone will pick up the baton and the market will be flooded with more Topre options then you ever dreamt possible.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 21:19:00 »
Demand is there, and soon someone will pick up the baton and the market will be flooded with more Topre options then you ever dreamt possible.

tai hao topre caps  :))

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 21:27:39 »

Doubleshot topre might not be that bad
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline thestage

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 21:49:14 »
I think EK still have the pink sets...

their pink stock seems to be quite strange.  I tried to order some maybe a week ago and got a "this item is sold out message," so I asked EK if there was any chance they'd get new caps.  They basically said no.  Then I randomly tried to order the pinks again a couple days ago and the order went through, with the confirmation message and tracking number showing up in my inbox today.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 23:36:30 »
That's like when I ordered the white blanks. It was sold out, but I clicked order anyways. I got them in the mail a few days later. :) damn that board is sexy.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 23:44:09 »
That's like when I ordered the white blanks. It was sold out, but I clicked order anyways. I got them in the mail a few days later. :) damn that board is sexy.

lucky

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 23:44:36 »

10,000 MOQ+ we pay for tooling

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 23:55:38 »

lucky

Yeah I was like well maybe ill get on a waiting list, then they shipped it lol

Offline beartung

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 00:00:30 »

Really? Wish it comes true. There are many fans of hhkb in China here and so few colorful topre keycaps. So the realfore/hhkb blanks on Taobao were at least 45rmb/1 keycap(7+$) when they were avaiable.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 05:48:30 »

That would be nice.  They do a Dolch set, more or less ...

But would they be able to cater for the unique HHKB layout and legends?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 10:24:03 »
I have been eyeing green blanks since I got my HHKB, they don't seem to pop up in the classifieds to often. The wait continues...
RETIRED

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 13:04:07 »
If I could find a blue blank set for my hhkb i would be so happy
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 01:40:54 »
I can't lie...with how much demand I'm seeing for Topre caps, I'm half debating investing in the tooling myself.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 01:54:23 »
I can't lie...with how much demand I'm seeing for Topre caps, I'm half debating investing in the tooling myself.

If the MX sliders don't eat up most of your market.
Perhaps not everyone is willing to modify their keyboard to that extent, still...

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 01:56:42 »

Perhaps not everyone is willing to modify their keyboard to that extent, still...

Really wouldn't be too worried about it. There are enough people that are afraid to crack open their keyboard that I would feel secure enough doing it. Hell, if I go through with the tooling for one, it's not hard to add the other.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 01:58:30 »

Really wouldn't be too worried about it. There are enough people that are afraid to crack open their keyboard that I would feel secure enough doing it. Hell, if I go through with the tooling for one, it's not hard to add the other.

yeah... i've already taken out all of my sliders once to add dental bands. i don't plan on removing them all again anytime soon :cool:
but i could live with some Apple Extended replica dyesubs on my hhkb... just saying.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 01:59:53 »

yeah... i've already taken out all of my sliders once to add dental bands. i don't plan on removing them all again anytime soon :cool:

Yeah, after silent modding my 55g Realforce, getting ready to do the same to an HHKB, and fully modding a Race 2, I think I'm done tinkering for the next couple of months haha.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 April 2014, 02:05:57 by exitfire401 »

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 02:03:02 »
Also don't think I would modify any of my boards maybe just an esc or something for fun.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 02:17:05 »
I was psyched at the idea, wanted to do the whole hhkb. Slowly lost enthusiasm, got blanks.  :blank:
Someone should do printed alternate layouts. Or a uniform profile for topre.

Offline avtar

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 02:17:32 »

Depending on how serious you are about this you may want to contact Brian at EliteKeyboards if you haven't already.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 02:21:01 »

Depending on how serious you are about this you may want to contact Brian at EliteKeyboards if you haven't already.

As the days go on, I'm getting more and more serious about it, but I have not contacted him. I should look into it.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 02:23:32 »

As the days go on, I'm getting more and more serious about it, but I have not contacted him. I should look into it.

you have a lot of options for retail outlets that offer way better international shipping rates ;)

don't get me wrong i have never had a problem with EK but they're not known for their flexibility when it comes to product offerings or distribution.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 02:26:18 »

you have a lot of options for retail outlets that offer way better international shipping rates ;)

don't get me wrong i have never had a problem with EK but they're not known for their flexibility when it comes to product offerings or distribution.

It would depend on a lot of factors who I went with if I decided to do it.

Offline avtar

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 02:33:24 »

I meant more so for getting insight into the costs involved for tooling. I chatted briefly with Brian while ordering some stuff and he mentioned that this was something he had looked into in the past.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 02:35:55 »

I meant more so for getting insight into the costs involved for tooling. I chatted briefly with Brian while ordering some stuff and he mentioned that this was something he had looked into in the past.

I'm sure. For how much shipping from Japan is (in bulk at least) I can only imagine investing in tooling and producing in-house would be much cheaper in the long run.

Offline avtar

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 02:39:59 »
Also the fact that Topre doesn't seem to want to be in the after-market keycaps business so that affects everyone including EK.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 02:42:22 »
Also the fact that Topre doesn't seem to want to be in the after-market keycaps business so that affects everyone including EK.

Exactly, and if they don't want the business, then why shouldn't a young entrepreneur pick up the slack?   :D

Offline avtar

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 02:50:00 »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 02:51:18 »
Show Image

That is the hope sir. haha. This conversation is just continuing to motivate me

Offline Belfong

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 04:23:10 »
I for one will take two set of blanks from you. You gonna go with PBT? Why not partner with Signature Plastic? The other thing I am curious about is that if Topre decided to stop, can't they sell the tooling for second hand? Unless it is a copy right thing and they want to protect their market. But yeah, I think the demand is there!

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 04:25:00 »
I for one will take two set of blanks from you. You gonna go with PBT? Why not partner with Signature Plastic? The other thing I am curious about is that if Topre decided to stop, can't they sell the tooling for second hand? Unless it is a copy right thing and they want to protect their market. But yeah, I think the demand is there!

We would have to go with PBT (just for quality's sake). And SP is someone I really want to get in contact with, but haven't. I know they've contemplated getting into topre for a while and just haven't.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 04:29:22 »
SP knows how to do PBT space bar based on the recent Granite GB. PBT space bar! That would kick all the other Topre blanks' asses!

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 04:40:08 »
SP knows how to do PBT space bar based on the recent Granite GB. PBT space bar! That would kick all the other Topre blanks' asses!

And end the complaints of 90% of people who have topre sets.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 04:45:39 »
And don't stop at blanks. Be creative. Do a Macross set for HHKB. Or SPH profile... the possibilities are endless. I shudder to think what the future holds.... This is exciting times for Topre lovers!

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 04:54:45 »
And don't stop at blanks. Be creative. Do a Macross set for HHKB. Or SPH profile... the possibilities are endless. I shudder to think what the future holds.... This is exciting times for Topre lovers!

My ultimate goal would be a Topre Dolch replica set =D

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 05:26:48 »

Yes!!! I would definitely be interested in a blank set or two. Imagine Hyper Fuse for Topre  :thumb:

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 05:27:54 »

Yes!!! I would definitely be interested in a blank set or two. Imagine Hyper Fuse for Topre  :thumb:

I have a feeling a ****load of ICs will be coming to GH if this goes through.  ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 05:31:08 »

... that suits HHKB :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 05:32:11 »

Also suits my black realforce.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 05:37:52 »

At least there's nowhere near as many Topre layouts as MX  - there's a mind-bogglingly large number of MX layouts that need all sorts of add-on keycap sets.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 05:39:24 »

Agreed. Vastly simplifies things. And hell, just adding a couple of caps to a tkl set makes it universal between TKL and HHKB
At least there's nowhere near as many Topre layouts as MX  - there's a mind-bogglingly large number of MX layouts that need all sorts of add-on keycap sets.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 06:20:31 »
you heathens. keep your cherry fonts away from my cup rubber and on cherry where it belongs.

that said it would be waaay cooler if you could get bsp to do the molds with different stems. nicer caps than SP.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 13:20:17 »
"I have a dream that one day little Topre caps and little Cherry caps will frolic together in groupbuys far and wide"
-some guy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 17:15:47 »
MX stems are round with a "+" in the middle.

Can you drill out the "+" to make it "O", then cut a notch in the top and bottom to turn it into Topre compatible?

Offline thestage

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 18:11:27 »
MX stems are round with a "+" in the middle.

Can you drill out the "+" to make it "O", then cut a notch in the top and bottom to turn it into Topre compatible?

I would imagine a makeshift stem like that wouldn't fit very well.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 April 2014, 19:27:28 by thestage »