Author Topic: [IC] HEX.6C - A Gasket Mounted Fullsize [FINALIZED DETAILS] [PROTOTYPE PICS]  (Read 112599 times)

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
Re: [IC] HEX.6C - A Gasket Mounted Fullsize
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 13:33:00 »
We've added mirrored numpad and knob support!

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 13:49:36 »
I'm waiting.

same

Fun to see a full size board. And the price is great! Hopefully you can keep it close to that.

For me, traditional numpad is a must. No interest in a southpaw personally.

I like f13, please keep it.

Carbon fiber plate?

No promises regarding CF plate but the plate files will be released post-gb so feel free to cut your own.

Interested on behalf of a friend who's wanted a fullsize custom for a while, will prolly build it for him if this happens.

Hoping for non-southpaw options though.
Hahah we've all got that one friend who really must have THAT numpad eh?
Based off community feedback it seems that for now this will be run in the southpaw variant

Not that familiar with gasket mount. Could it support hot swap?
It could but there might be issues. I still recommend soldering your switches as you'll have a more solid-feeling keyboard.

Offline Inner-Ear

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 10:34:07 »
We've added mirrored numpad and knob support!

I really appreciate this!

Renders look really nice.

Offline abstractkb

• Abstract Keyboards Homepage
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:34:25 »
This looks really nice and would be super cool at the estimated price point.  I don't really need another board right now but this one might be enough to convince me.

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:39:51 »
Interessted, as left handed - vote for traditional  :thumb:

Offline yrneh

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:41:22 »
With added knob support, will this mean there will be a version w/o knob?

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:47:43 »
You'll just use a regular key instead, I'm guessing.

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline Jippadox

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:56:46 »
Really love to see a fullsize, and with southpaw numpad! How fantastic!  ;D
Would consider this as recommendation for a friend, and that means iso support would be greatly appreciated.
Looks great, good job!

Offline yrneh

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 15:12:11 »

The way the renders are makes it seem like there is a designated cutout for the knob.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 17:31:07 »

The way the renders are makes it seem like there is a designated cutout for the knob.
I guess it depends on the knob radius, but the pcb can support both a switch and an encoder, so don't worry about it too much.

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:35:11 »

yes its a designated knob, don't think there will be compat for a switch there instead

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:37:21 »
Oh, gotcha. Knobs are fine by me, just want trading numpad in the end of the day Haha.

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:59:25 »
Oh, gotcha. Knobs are fine by me, just want trading numpad in the end of the day Haha.

Just updated the renders and added a small knobs section to hopefully prevent anymore confusion due to my poor wording  :thumb:

Offline Jaltr

Re: [IC] HEX.6C - A Gasket Mounted Fullsize [UPDATED RENDERS!]
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 09:10:25 »

Just updated the renders and added a small knobs section to hopefully prevent anymore confusion due to my poor wording  :thumb:
I appreciate that!

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 09:39:59 »
For those of us that do our own coating, it would even more cool if we could get a raw off-the-mill version that hasn't been coated/anodized.  Can't wait either way!
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline Antvn84

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 11:31:52 »
If running, I definitely go with  :thumb:

Offline Aevyn

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 12:36:32 »
Price is amazing. Southpaw is also +++. Would definitely be in for a polycarb version and PP plate.

Offline noorejji

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 21:03:57 »
Price: 250-300USD for the base kit
How?

Offline J_Noes

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 21:32:07 »
I'm hoping no knob is an option. And if all versions absolutely have to come with a knob, I think a better position for it would be the first key on the top left so you can rest your handle on the table while turning the knob. in it's current position you'd have to keep your hand and arm floating above the keyboard the whole time.

apart from the position of the knob, I love everything else about it.

Offline yrneh

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 21:40:25 »
I'm hoping no knob is an option. And if all versions absolutely have to come with a knob, I think a better position for it would be the first key on the top left so you can rest your handle on the table while turning the knob. in it's current position you'd have to keep your hand and arm floating above the keyboard the whole time.

Agreed, if the knob is going to be a fixed option it should be in a better spot. It's awkward to have it in the current place. Your hand would be on top of the numpad and other keys.

Offline Mytherium

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 23:25:48 »
I'm excited for this to become available, but I have a question about the pcb and some of the features I'd like to see kept in the design.

This is probably an unpopular feature, but are there any plans to support LED lighting for each key and also fro things like Caps Lock, Scroll Lock and Num Lock?

Knob -  I'd prefer if there was an option for no knob/dial. I'd like to see the 4 extra keys on top of the numpad so maybe they could be used for media keys or reprogrammed for other uses.

F13 key -  I support the inclusion of this, though I'm curious what people will use it for in maybe executing macros or something.

I'm new to the custom keyboard scene and I really love the southpaw numpad design you've made. I also support the option for an inverted numpad :)

Offline asciisii

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 00:34:37 »
Love how this looks, I hope everyone who joins the GB loves it. Unfortunately southpaw numpad is a no bueno for me.

Offline gandroider

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 02:48:46 »
I've been waiting for a full keyboard with numpad on the left. Count me in! PM me when this is ready (hopefully the price range still as estimated on the first page).

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 03:30:34 »
With regards to the position of the knob, everything is still largely in design phase and things could change. However we made the choice for the knob to be where its at in the current design as we feel that it would be easier to reach without having to move your hands from the main alpha cluster as much.

For those of us that do our own coating, it would even more cool if we could get a raw off-the-mill version that hasn't been coated/anodized.  Can't wait either way!

We have no plans for this at the moment, however we'll look into something like that in the future

I'm excited for this to become available, but I have a question about the pcb and some of the features I'd like to see kept in the design.

This is probably an unpopular feature, but are there any plans to support LED lighting for each key and also fro things like Caps Lock, Scroll Lock and Num Lock?

Knob -  I'd prefer if there was an option for no knob/dial. I'd like to see the 4 extra keys on top of the numpad so maybe they could be used for media keys or reprogrammed for other uses.

F13 key -  I support the inclusion of this, though I'm curious what people will use it for in maybe executing macros or something.

I'm new to the custom keyboard scene and I really love the southpaw numpad design you've made. I also support the option for an inverted numpad :)
As of right now there's no plans to support RGB or any specific lighting for the keyboard, other than indicator lights for caps, scoll and numlock.

My idea for the knob is for it to be used as a volume wheel, and the top 3 keys to be use as media/macros.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 03:39:06 »
Not a southpaw person so probably out. Good luck with the group buy. Seems like you are filling a definite niche.

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
Re: [IC] HEX.6C - A Gasket Mounted Fullsize [KNOB POSITION POLL ADDED!]
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 07:16:34 »
Hi all, I added a small poll to gather responses for the knob position. Do take your time to consider and fill it out as once this poll is over the position will be FINALIZED :)

poll here

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 08:20:58 »
Is it confirmed to be a southpaw board then?

Offline abrokencondom

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 08:28:55 »
I've been severely missing a numpad, but enjoy the space on the right side without it, so a southpaw is right up my alley. Definitely keeping an eye on this as a potential endgame work keyboard.
I love the variety of knob options being offered, and that they'll be low-profile, which is a lot more aesthetic imo.

I've been fantasizing something similar to this board, with the southpaw numpad and rotary encoder above it.
Albeit:
- Given no need for the extra 3 keys above the num-pad (except to show off artisans), it's instead an OLED screen
- Right side is 65/75%, slimming it down a bit, as I never use Insert, Pause, Scroll lock, Prt Screen
- Potentially split
But that's just my fantasy.

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 10:26:13 »
I've been severely missing a numpad, but enjoy the space on the right side without it, so a southpaw is right up my alley. Definitely keeping an eye on this as a potential endgame work keyboard.
I love the variety of knob options being offered, and that they'll be low-profile, which is a lot more aesthetic imo.

I've been fantasizing something similar to this board, with the southpaw numpad and rotary encoder above it.
Albeit:
- Given no need for the extra 3 keys above the num-pad (except to show off artisans), it's instead an OLED screen
- Right side is 65/75%, slimming it down a bit, as I never use Insert, Pause, Scroll lock, Prt Screen
- Potentially split
Your dream is the Ext65. That was limited to 50 on hand units at 500 usd. I believe three protos were offered in an auction style as full kits and went for nearly 1k.

I currently own a Ducky one, which is 108 and love the 4 extra keys : calculator, volume mute, up and down. The calculator was key to my purchase as I'm an accountant and hate traditional desk calculators (much faster on my numpad). With the rotary encoder I'll have 1 or two keys to figure out ( of the encoder is push sensitive as well, then mute is handled)

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Offline jdc122

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 11:39:56 »
southpaw is exactly why i want this. i feel like this layout plus GMK Rudy is my endgame tbh, PLEASE make it.

Offline noorejji

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 11:49:09 »
I went with left, assuming southpaw layout. My reasoning is that it would be easier to handle the knob from the side (left lateral), where there are no keycaps or otherwise to interfere. Otherwise I imagine you'd have to use a pincer move.

Offline abrokencondom

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 23:38:14 »
Your dream is the Ext65. That was limited to 50 on hand units at 500 usd. I believe three protos were offered in an auction style as full kits and went for nearly 1k.

I currently own a Ducky one, which is 108 and love the 4 extra keys : calculator, volume mute, up and down. The calculator was key to my purchase as I'm an accountant and hate traditional desk calculators (much faster on my numpad). With the rotary encoder I'll have 1 or two keys to figure out ( of the encoder is push sensitive as well, then mute is handled)

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Ext65 is close, but it has no rotary encoder, nor OLED screen. Nor does it have the F-row which I like, despite only really using f4, f5, f6 and f11 ever.
A calculator button would be useful, however I can map that to another F key, and the rotary encoder should be able to handle volume/mute.

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 03:13:09 »
Is it confirmed to be a southpaw board then?

Yes it confirmed to be southpaw.

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 03:18:24 »

Albeit:
- Potentially split

Thanks for your feedback! We've also toyed with the idea of a OLED screen near the rotary encoder, but in an effort to keep its price low we decided on the more economical option as for now. Perhaps in future revisions or a more premium version of this board, you might see the OLED screen make an appearance :)

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 05:19:10 »
Why people are so eager to put knobs onto the keyboards?..

Sorry, but this kills it for me.

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 06:10:47 »
Why people are so eager to put knobs onto the keyboards?..

Sorry, but this kills it for me.
We feel that rotary encoders add a nice amount of utility to a keyboard, since it can be used to solely control volume and mute/unmute while taking up approx 1u~ of space. Something that you'd normally need 3 keys for. Also in the poll ran in the IC a majority of users felt that the rotary encoder would be a welcome addition to this design :)

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 07:18:56 »
[redacted]
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2020, 07:26:16 by Kasterborous »

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 08:11:30 »
Will there be any renders for a WKL top if WKL is going to be supported?

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 10:03:56 »
Will there be any renders for a WKL top if WKL is going to be supported?
Just updated the main post with this WKL Render!
241970-0

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 10:22:21 »
I personally love where the knob is currently. Makes the design much more interesting to look at, and I agree that in the long run this is more comfortable then having to reach all the way out to the left of the board. It's a matter of adjusting to muscle memory.

Maybe a taller knob would help mitigate the problem for some folk?

Regardless, this is a must buy for me. Southpawed fullsize with a knob on it? Oh yes please.

Offline J_Noes

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 23:31:51 »
I personally love where the knob is currently. Makes the design much more interesting to look at, and I agree that in the long run this is more comfortable then having to reach all the way out to the left of the board. It's a matter of adjusting to muscle memory.

Regardless, this is a must buy for me. Southpawed fullsize with a knob on it? Oh yes please.

make the knob taller won't mitigate the problem because the problem with the current knob position is that you're left hand will be floating above the keyboard. which will get tiring if you're using software where you have to scrub/scroll frequently.

the reason some have suggested it be placed at the left instead is so that your left hand can rest on the table while you use the knob.

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 00:45:37 »

make the knob taller won't mitigate the problem because the problem with the current knob position is that you're left hand will be floating above the keyboard. which will get tiring if you're using software where you have to scrub/scroll frequently.

the reason some have suggested it be placed at the left instead is so that your left hand can rest on the table while you use the knob.

I'd rather grab it from the top with the tip of my fingers than hook my shoulder into an awkward angle to wrap around and reach the knob.

I get the argument to have it in the corner, but again i just think the trade-off does not outweight having keys around it.

I guess the compromise would be to make it take up a switch slot and have us choose where to put it, but alas

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 08:13:49 »
much prefer the current knob position as well. looks much better than the alternative, and grabbing it from above is the best way to use it anyway. Can't wait to see this go into production.

Offline lorphex

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 07:11:18 »
I'm in for 2. Gonna be building a couple for my friends!  :thumb: ;D

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 09:34:55 »
Knob and f13 make good use of that top row space. Cool stuff.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline bow3i

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 15:43:08 »
Gimme pl0x

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 15:48:32 »
Been into the idea of left-numpads recently, following.

Offline Kings

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 16:15:00 »
Was looking for a keyboard for work and I think I just found it. Free up space on the right while also keeping the numpad? Yes, please.

Offline KeebOnMe

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 17:44:17 »
Every thing looks great, hope to be one of lucky ones that get a board!

Offline FruityMcSwirl

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 11:55:33 »
I don't even need a numpad but I love knobs