Author Topic: ISO - small, portable, linux machine. (tablets? other?)  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Linkert

• onan.in/
ISO - small, portable, linux machine. (tablets? other?)
« on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 08:18:45 »
Hey, new here!

I have this vision of a simplified computing system. The plan is to find a machine that will let me install 'Ubuntu Minimal CD' (using unetbootin).

The absolute best solution would be a tablet loaded with my custom linux install with input for keyboard and mouse (mouse not necessary). "Portable, power efficient, minimal 'one thing well' computing without crumby laptop-keyboard in the way.". It would be super sweet, but I can't find any tablets that will work.

Anyway. I'm open for suggestions, any power efficient, small computer you can think of for this type of system are appreciated :)

Robin

Offline connorelsea

• * Maker
  • Java programming and fancy key caps!
    • Elsea Labs
Re: ISO - small, portable, linux machine. (tablets? other?)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 14:10:40 »
I'm getting a Surface soon and I've looked into putting Ubuntu/some other kind of linux on a Surface. I've found a lot of guides that make it actually pretty easy to put Linux on a Surface, and have much of its functionality still work. Even the pen and everything (though IIRC the pressure sensitive functionality of the pen is lost, but that's not much).

Here's a guide for the Surface Pro 1: http://www.reddit.com/r/SurfaceLinux/comments/2b1hf6/running_ubuntu_1404_on_surface_pro_1_full_time/

Elsea Keys - Artisan key caps, keyboards, custom painting - Click any image to purchase or view