Author Topic: QMK features you cannot live without?  (Read 999 times)

Offline dariocorse

QMK features you cannot live without?
« on: Tue, 27 February 2024, 05:43:35 »
I developed a small USB-USB adapter that can be used to intercept and modify the keystrokes sent by the keyboard.

It's something similar to USB to USB keyboard converter
Although I'm sure that's a great device, I wanted to build something from the ground-up and wanted to play with it.

I'm testing the device with some friends and thinking of releasing it as opensource, but I'm not even sure someone would find it useful.
I'm running a custom firmware and I don't think I'm going to port the entire TMK/QMK on it (if it's even possible).
So I'm wondering what are the most used functions.
I'm no expert of high end keyboards, custom firmware, etc so I thought of asking to people far more competent than me  ;D

What are the most useful features of QMK you use?

What the device can do now
  • keeping a keyboard button pressed for more that x ms (the layout is disabled as soon as the trigger key is released)
  • pressing a button on the device itself (the layout is enabled until the same button is pressed again)
When a layer is enable each key can be mapped to:
  • a different key
  • a macro (a sequence of keys)
  • a function
Now the only functions are for temporary macro storage and recall (so that one can register a sequence of strokes and the device and reproduce them).

What I'd like to add
I find the switching between keyboard and mouse to be a pain and planning on add mouse capability to the device (for example to scroll up and down).
I want to have a specific way of handle passwords (instead of using macros having to type a pin in order to enable them).
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 February 2024, 11:34:35 by dariocorse »