Author Topic: Looking to make some keyboards as gifts need recommendations  (Read 1068 times)

Offline profet

Looking to make some keyboards as gifts need recommendations
« on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 21:13:11 »
So I've gone ahead and built two ergodoxes and I love them. My problem is that now that friends, family, and coworkers have seen them they understand the joy of mechanical keyboards.

And while the shape of the ergodox isn't for everyone, I do think that some of them are really interested in going from rubber dome to mech.

So I'm sitting here thinking to myself that with the holidays just around the corner and with me finding that I really enjoyed the ergodox build process, why not build some keyboards as gifts?

TLDR: I want to build some keyboards cheaply. I'm thinking 60% keyboards are probably the route I want to go. What kind of prices am I looking at for putting one together? Are there any component lists similar to the one on ergodox.org?
Bringing custom Ergodoxes to the masses.

My heatware: http://www.heatware.com/u/102649

Offline fatb0y

Re: Looking to make some keyboards as gifts need recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 00:05:56 »
I think the cheapest keyboard if you wanted to make it would be a Phantom+Teensy keyboard, but with housing and switches, it will probably be under but close to $200 for a keyboard.

Getting a Bpiphanies costar replacement controller and a compatible costar keyboard should be hands down the best bang for your buck mechanical available.

Offline Kola93

Re: Looking to make some keyboards as gifts need recommendations
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 23:18:21 »
60% is definitely the way to go, but you won't find any parts for cheap, unfortunately.

Even the more affordable custom keyboard parts from winkeyless.kr are still more expensive than buying a 60% Pok3r.

Perhaps you could buy 60% keyboards for others, and "mod" it with keycaps that might suit the gift recipient's tastes. ^-^