Author Topic: m15 Remake  (Read 9551 times)

Offline ed_

m15 Remake
« on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 00:11:59 »
I would like to make my own m15 by cutting a model m, remove the numpad and make an adjustable, ergonomic case.

I assume that I can re-solder the cut traces, but I don't know about the membrane.  Also, I may want to replace the controller with one that can support dip switches, but I have not found any.

Any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline lowpoly

m15 Remake
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 February 2009, 14:44:10 »
You could use a programmable controller but you wouldn't have dip switches. If those are a must using an AVR would be an option.

I assume that I can re-solder the cut traces, but I don't know about the membrane.

You are not going to cut a pcb?

You'll probably need two Ms. At least two membranes.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline ed_

m15 Remake
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 February 2009, 18:33:26 »
Quote from: lowpoly;21167
You could use a programmable controller but you wouldn't have dip switches. If those are a must using an AVR would be an option.

Thanks for the links; I wasn't finding any good info on keyboard controllers, and was almost ready to program my own, but that's way below my ideal level of abstraction.

You are not going to cut a pcb?

You'll probably need two Ms. At least two membranes.

I was planning on cutting the PCB, and then fixing the severed traces with wires; I just don't know how to accomplish the same with the membranes.

Thanks.

Offline lowpoly

m15 Remake
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 February 2009, 02:35:55 »
There is either a membrane or a switch pcb, not both. You might have to do some research on M internals?

Offline ed_

m15 Remake
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 February 2009, 02:58:10 »
Quote from: lowpoly;21181
There is either a membrane or a switch pcb, not both. You might have to do some research on M internals?

The boards are still on the way, so I haven't personally looked inside yet, but all I have read suggests that they each have a PCB and two membranes.

I'll be doing some path tracing so I can update this page with a solution. Below are the important pictures for my work, the controller front/back, and the two membranes (yes, Model M has them, too...)

http://solutions.sveit.com/modelm.html

Set some  screws so that you can place a rubber sheet and membrane sheets at the right position using the screws as studs to guide sheets.

http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/repair_model_m.html

Offline lowpoly

m15 Remake
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 February 2009, 04:42:29 »
Those are the correct links. :) There is no pcb, just the membrane on an M.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
m15 Remake
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 February 2009, 10:25:31 »
Well, technically, there is a PCB in the Model M. It just has nothing to do with the keyswitches, and you wouldn't cut it at all. (It's what the controller is on.)

Offline lowpoly

m15 Remake
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 February 2009, 10:41:04 »
And the controller is going to be replaced. The connectors on the controller board are still needed. But these could be taken from old rubber domes or bought new.

Offline ed_

m15 Remake
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 03:21:55 »
Thanks for the clarification;  I got a bad sense of scale from the pictures and thought the two membranes sandwiched a PCB; one separate from the controller.

Now I assume that I can take the membranes from two keyboards and simply fold the unused halves under the key mounts, and have both sets of membranes connect to the controller.

Offline lowpoly

m15 Remake
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 February 2009, 06:29:13 »
Quote from: ed_;21286
Now I assume that I can take the membranes from two keyboards and simply fold the unused halves under the key mounts, and have both sets of membranes connect to the controller.

Unless I'm missing something, this could actually work. Good idea.