Author Topic: Stealth Mini  (Read 10055 times)

Offline tad

Stealth Mini
« on: Sun, 15 February 2009, 20:33:18 »

Used three heavy coats of Plasti-Dip Spray and RIT-dyed keys from a fellow forum member. Smudges and such aren't noticable to the naked eye, but the camera flash picks everything up. Oh well.

Offline wellington1869

Stealth Mini
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 February 2009, 21:42:58 »
you mean plasti-dip as a sealer? Looks neat. Is that gloss krylon on the frame?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline tad

Stealth Mini
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 February 2009, 21:55:08 »
The Plasti-Dip was sprayed directly on the frame. The keys are merely RIT-dyed, no sealer. The photos exaggerate the glossiness, it's really more of a matte rubber finish.

Offline wellington1869

Stealth Mini
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 February 2009, 22:49:53 »
oh so you used black plasti-dip? interesting...
is that stuff staying on?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline tad

Stealth Mini
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 February 2009, 23:41:02 »
It stays on pretty well, actually. I accidentally banged in on the wall as I set it up, which peeled off a little bit on the back corner, but no amount of rubbing with my fingers does any damage.

I also tested the spray on a spare mouse. Using matte Krylon Fusion as an undercoat makes the Plasti-Dip stick like it's part of the plastic. Impossible to chip off. I want to be able to peel the stuff off of the board later, so I opted to avoid this step.

Offline lam47

Stealth Mini
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 February 2009, 04:30:16 »
If you get a chance could you get a picture outside in sunlight.
It should show the real colour and texture a lot better than the flash.
Taking photos of black things is always a pain.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3