Author Topic: Macally with black alps.  (Read 9443 times)

Offline lam47

Macally with black alps.
« on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 04:26:17 »
Im de soldering the switches from a dell 101 and putting them in the macally. That's all there is to it.
I will have a load of simplified clicky alps spare if anyone wants them.

Space saver with black alps?
Yes please.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline bigpook

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 04:49:46 »
go man, go. I did the same with a dell at101w and a filco tenless. It turned out real well too.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline lam47

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 05:04:24 »
If I like the feel I might have to get the filco to do it to.
I do like the blacks rather a lot.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Offline bigpook

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 05:41:58 »
The black alps are very nice. I kind of put them in the same class as the cherry browns and Topres. Relatively quiet and relatively soft.

Offline FKSSR

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 06:41:34 »
I would take the white alps, but I can't think of what I'd put them in.  

I personally love the white alps much more than the black.  I am thinking of getting a Filco with them if EliteKeyboards.com starts carrying them.  I'm a bit nervous that the "white XM" switches in the Filco won't be the same as in the Macally.  

I was going to buy a Unicomp for work, but I like the Macally so much now that I am keeping it at work, for now.

GL on the project.  I can't wait to hear and see more!
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline lam47

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 15:36:04 »
Here we go.
Two and a half de soldering wicks later and I have some switches.
Now I have to do it all over again in another board.
I think it will be worth it though.

I agree too. They are very much in the same class as the topre and browns with the feel.
Nice and soft with a subtle and pleasing tactile response.
I'm looking forward to trying them on a board that will fit on my desk :)
If its very nice I may do as you have and make a Filco with them.
If you don't mind that is ;)

Offline bigpook

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 18:46:39 »
I think the black alps switches in the Filco tenless are an excellent combination.

I use that keyboard at work, its the one that replaced the 4100 in my laptop bag. When I use it I am struck at how nice it actually is.

Offline eugenius

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 April 2009, 20:38:14 »
So, besides the heavier springs in the black alps, what's the order of tactile event magnitude (TM):  from big to small: black alps, browns, topre?
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline wellington1869

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 April 2009, 22:56:09 »
hmmm, i tried this and most of my black alps were destroyed in the soldering process. I hope you have better luck than me!

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline lam47

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 04:14:01 »
What happened to them Welly?

Offline lal

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 07:16:51 »
Quote from: eugenius;28499
So, besides the heavier springs in the black alps, what's the order of tactile event magnitude (TM):  from big to small: black alps, browns, topre?

I'd agree to that order.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline itlnstln

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 07:27:30 »
To me, it sounds like black Alps, Topre then Cherry browns.

Offline FKSSR

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 12:59:25 »
Hey lam,

Just curious...are you using the MK96 with a Mac or PC?  If you are using it with a PC, are you changing any mapping for the keys?  I ended up changing 10 keys to get it how I like it, and I'm still getting used to it.

Thanks.

Offline lam47

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 13:25:51 »
I have not re mapped anything yet. However I have never used the board for very long.
I am using it on a PC with a imate thingy.

Its all done.
It was pretty simple really. The only tedious part is de soldering the tabs from both boards. I dont mind using the braid to suck up the solder but then you need to make sure the pin is not still attached to the PCB. I had to heat the pin and prise it up with a knife.
Once they were all out I straightened the pins and popped them into the metal plate.
Pushed the PCB on the back and re soldered each one. This only took a few minuets as I am used to much smaller jobs.
I will use the board for a while and see what I think.
So far it feels very nice. Like Browns the most I would say but a lot louder.
Any questions please ask.

Laurie.

Oh I have a load of simplified noisy alps if anyone wants them.

Offline FKSSR

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 14:08:09 »
Nice!  I am planning on trying to dye some of the Esc key and other keys as well.

I also drew the comparison between the black alps and brown cherries.  They are different, but I find them to be very similar (blacks are definitely louder...)

I had no idea the HHKB was that small.  I just figure it was normal size from LShift to Enter (or however you want to say that...).

Offline itlnstln

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 14:14:06 »
Quote from: FKSSR;28649
I had no idea the HHKB was that small.  I just figure it was normal size from LShift to Enter (or however you want to say that...).

It might be a little smaller, but I think the perspective in the photo makes it look much smaller than it actually is.  There are some other photos in the Keyboard pics thread that would suggest that the HHKB is about the same size as an average keyboard in the "letter region."

EDIT:  Thinking a little more about this, it would make the HHKB hard to type on since the keys would have to be smaller to get the overall size down.

Offline FKSSR

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 14:30:40 »
Yeah, the perspective may be part of it.  I would think it would be hard to type on if they were very much smaller keys, though..

I just saw you also switched the F & D and J & K keys.  I had to do that as well to get the bumps in the "right" places.

Offline lam47

Macally with black alps.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 April 2009, 15:51:23 »
The width of the keys from shift to enter is exactly the same as on the macally. Its just the photo that makes it look small.
I have to have the nipples in the right place or it slows me right down.
I never look at the keyboard so its not an issue.
And now Ella has her laptop It does not matter what kind of crazy configuration I have :)

Just like to add be very careful if you try and rit dye the keys.
They do not take it very well and the escape on mine is slightly warped. It had to be dyed 3 times to get the colour you see there.

Last edit I promise.
What happened to your switches during soldering Welly? I managed to snap the pins of a couple but otherwise they were fine.
Good job the Dell was 101 and this is 96 :)