Author Topic: Glossy SA Keycaps?  (Read 3539 times)

Offline Rubbermilitia

Glossy SA Keycaps?
« on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 10:18:41 »
Is SP the only company to make glossy SA keycaps? I think the feel of the glossy caps is much more satisfying than the semi-matte finish on Maxkeys, for example. I bought the maxkeys SA WoB set because the image on kbdfans made them look really shiny but they are NOT glossy like SP caps... Am I the only person that prefers the glossy finish? Are there others out there?

Offline zslane

Re: Glossy SA Keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 11:57:23 »
I'm not aware of any SA set produced by SP that utilizes their glossy finish. All the ones you see out there are their semi-matte finish (I think it should be called semi-gloss, but whatever). If they appear glossy it is because they've been worn down a bit and become glossy over time (ABS plastic is like that). Maxkeys and SP use the same finish molds, so their SA keycaps look and feel pretty much identical.

Note: SP has made SA keycaps in the past using their matte molds, but they are quite rare (Commando is the only set that immediately comes to mind).

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 13:27:51 »
I'm not aware of any SA set produced by SP that utilizes their glossy finish. All the ones you see out there are their semi-matte finish (I think it should be called semi-gloss, but whatever). If they appear glossy it is because they've been worn down a bit and become glossy over time (ABS plastic is like that). Maxkeys and SP use the same finish molds, so their SA keycaps look and feel pretty much identical.

Note: SP has made SA keycaps in the past using their matte molds, but they are quite rare (Commando is the only set that immediately comes to mind).

I'm comparing my SP chocolate with Maxkeys WoB set and the feel and look of the SP keys are noticeably smoother and shinier. then again, I did get the SP caps used, so maybe that's why?

I wonder why SA manufacturers never use full gloss finish...I think it looks great.

Are there really no gloss SA sets? I thought Round 6 and modern selectric looked really glossy

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 13:32:08 »
The primary reason you don't see SA sets using the glossy finish is because SP doesn't have glossy finish molds for all the necessary keycap sizes and row profiles.

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 13:42:48 »
The primary reason you don't see SA sets using the glossy finish is because SP doesn't have glossy finish molds for all the necessary keycap sizes and row profiles.

Ah ok. Thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to work on wearing down my WoB set for that sexy shine ;)