Author Topic: #GETREKT  (Read 780775 times)

Offline vax

Re: #GETREKT
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:00:33 »
QUICK! Buy all the k3kc copies and sell them in 3-6 months for a huge premium when they are juicy drama collectors items!  :'(

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:07:49 »
QUICK! Buy all the k3kc copies and sell them in 3-6 months for a huge premium when they are juicy drama collectors items!  :'(

Bro Caps made the ultimate keyboard related Andrew WK tribute? Should've been white though right? :))

hahaha awesome! :P PARTY PARTY! Saw him a couple times, awesome dude!

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:17:55 »
congrats bro! now we celebrate!  :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:20:09 »
(Hi everyone! First post here)

☐ Not REKT
☑ REKT
☑ Tyrannosaurus REKT
☑ PanzerSCHREKT
| ISO |

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:20:52 »

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:20:58 »
After reading some of the negative responses on reddit saying what Bro has done is minor and won't stop K3, etc. they fail to realize it's someone actually taking action with legitimate results as opposed to simply giving up considering the circumstances. Utmost respect to you Bro. Do your thing and **** the haters.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:22:22 »

☐ Not REKT
☑ REKT
☑ Tyrannosaurus REKT
☑ PanzerSCHREKT

Welcome to Geekhack!

Nice first post :thumb:

Well done, Bro. So rekt. :))
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:27:22 »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline lobehold

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:27:34 »
The artisan caps cottage industry is filled with blatant ripoffs from Mattel, Hasbro, Marvel and Disney to begin with: Skeletor, Optimus Prime, Iron Man, Darth Vader...

Seem like the rule is "steal from anyone you want, just don't steal from us".

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:29:55 »
Show Image

was gona post a screenshot from my phone showing the same when I got home, think of it like an audience clapping in gentle  applause

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:30:48 »
The artisan caps cottage industry is filled with blatant ripoffs from Mattel, Hasbro, Marvel and Disney to begin with: Skeletor, Optimus Prime, Iron Man, Darth Vader...

I was unaware that Mattel, Hasbro, Marvel, and Disney produced keycaps. Where can I buy them from these companies again?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:31:34 »

Go away, troll. #REKT
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:32:05 »
After reading some of the negative responses on reddit saying what Bro has done is minor and won't stop K3, etc. they fail to realize it's someone actually taking action with legitimate results as opposed to simply giving up considering the circumstances. Utmost respect to you Bro. Do your thing and **** the haters.

Show Image

Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:34:48 »

☐ Not REKT
☑ REKT
☑ Tyrannosaurus REKT
☑ PanzerSCHREKT
Show Image

☑ Tyrannosaurus REKT

:))

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:35:02 »

Really? Interesting. Aside from the optimus cap which I havent made in years, which of my designs are a 'blatant ripoff' of anything? V2 BroBot is a copyrighted original design.

If you're calling something Skeletor, then that includes everything minus the head. Because the grim reaper has been around many, many years before Skeletor. I can't speak for other
artisans, but from what I have seen, most of them have their own take on a particular character, and are not directly taking from anything. In the case of k3kc, he is directly taking a product
and making exact duplicates. He doesn't seem to have the ability to create anything original, and his duplicates quality leave much to be desired.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:38:10 »
Good job bro! Let us know if you need any help furthering the legal action!  :)

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:38:15 »
"You are doing that too much. try again in 8 minutes."

This reddit thing.... Beginning to remember why I don't use it.

8 minutes? Really?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:38:33 »
Just wanna say Welcome to all the new members coming over from reddit. I think you'll find our members to be actually knowledgeable about keyboards and not just on how to replace the caps on your stock QFR :)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:42:32 »

Offline vindaon

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:43:20 »

As opposed to "steal from anyone"

Stay entitled.

Offline vax

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:43:25 »
Show Image

Yeah. The PR you are getting from this may cover some of the damages at least.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:44:16 »
Just wanna say Welcome to all the new members coming over from reddit. I think you'll find our members to be actually knowledgeable about keyboards and not just on how to replace the caps on your stock QFR :)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:44:16 »
240 lawyers are viewing this topic :O

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:46:20 »
"You are doing that too much. try again in 8 minutes."

This reddit thing.... Beginning to remember why I don't use it.

8 minutes? Really?

Once you have a base level of karma that goes away. It's an effort to stop spammers/solicitors.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:03:26 »

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:04:34 »
To sum up the thread

WHUUUURRLLLLSTAAAAAARRRRRRRRR

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:04:54 »
coming in hot

big update soon
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline lobehold

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:05:42 »

Really? Interesting. Aside from the optimus cap which I havent made in years, which of my designs are a 'blatant ripoff' of anything? V2 BroBot is a copyrighted original design.

If you're calling something Skeletor, then that includes everything minus the head. Because the grim reaper has been around many, many years before Skeletor. I can't speak for other
artisans, but from what I have seen, most of them have their own take on a particular character, and are not directly taking from anything. In the case of k3kc, he is directly taking a product
and making exact duplicates. He doesn't seem to have the ability to create anything original, and his duplicates quality leave much to be desired.

Thank you for the calm response.

First, I'm in no way condoning what K3KC did, that verbatim copying and completely wrong.

And second I apologize about the Skeletor keycap, you're right, on a closer look it's hard to argue the Skeletor design wasn't quite generic to begin with - it made the skull + hood an icon, but too few distinguishing features to set it apart from other "grime reaper" designs, esp. without the body.

My comment is not specifically toward you, but more toward the cottage industry of artisan caps itself.

Let's face it, there's this big legal grey area right now. Yes, those big companies are not making keycaps, but it's pretty obvious that many of those designs infringes upon their copyright.

Are faceless corporations free for the taking compared to hard working individuals such as you?

Now, that's the moral question.

Legally, now that you have brought legal actions into this industry full of grey areas, do you think it will mean that makers will start to cover their own behind in order to protect themselves?

It very much seems like the first stone in a glass house.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:07:41 by lobehold »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:07:18 »

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:08:20 »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:22:50 »
coming in hot

big update soon

Well I hope you include pictures...

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:23:11 »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:26:37 »

Thank you for the calm response.

First, I'm in no way condoning what K3KC did, that verbatim copying and completely wrong.

And second I apologize about the Skeletor keycap, you're right, on a closer look it's hard to argue the Skeletor design wasn't quite generic to begin with - it made the skull + hood an icon, but too few distinguishing features to set it apart from other "grime reaper" designs, esp. without the body.

My comment is not specifically toward you, but more toward the cottage industry of artisan caps itself.

Let's face it, there's this big legal grey area right now. Yes, those big companies are not making keycaps, but it's pretty obvious that many of those designs infringes upon their copyright.

Are faceless corporations free for the taking compared to hard working individuals such as you?

Now, that's the moral question.

Legally, now that you have brought legal actions into this industry full of grey areas, do you think it will mean that makers will start to cover their own behind in order to protect themselves?

It very much seems like the first stone in a glass house.

I think anyone that creates original artwork should definitely copyright their works.

Any time a reputable company is involved in a payment system, you can be assured they have a similar copyright infringement policy attached to it. That leaves their only options to sketchy payment systems limited to their own respective countries. And at that point, I am not really concerned. As a matter of fact, k3kc doesn't affect my business in any tangible way. This is more a matter of principle.

If I just allow this person to taunt, mock and copy my work with impunity, it sends the message that I won't do anything to protect my intellectual property. I think I have sent the right message, in that I wont tolerate it at all.

This is not a 'glass house' at all. It's a well defined brick wall.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:39:35 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Absolutely gorgeous as usual Bro! Looking forward to this sale!

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:39:43 »
coming in hot

big update soon

Show Image

I always love that train do we all have tickets?  choo choo c:
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:41:18 »
Dammit. I WILL win one of these -.- I will reck anyone in my parth...

Offline tchevass

• open wide
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:44:54 »
It's my dream to have a Brobot !!
I want clacks

Offline lobehold

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:47:51 »
I think anyone that creates original artwork should definitely copyright their works.

Any time a reputable company is involved in a payment system, you can be assured they have a similar copyright infringement policy attached to it. That leaves their only options to sketchy payment systems limited to their own respective countries. And at that point, I am not really concerned. As a matter of fact, k3kc doesn't affect my business in any tangible way. This is more a matter of principle.

If I just allow this person to taunt, mock and copy my work with impunity, it sends the message that I won't do anything to protect my intellectual property. I think I have sent the right message, in that I wont tolerate it at all.

You have every right to use the legal tools at your disposal to protect your design.

As for the glass house reference, now that you have used legal means to protect yourself, will you consider making a design based upon copyrighted work again?

Will other makers give pause before producing infringing designs in the future?

I guess we will see.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 14:13:15 »
Wow that iBot looks amazing! /s

Offline thefebruaryman

• turn it off and turn it on again
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 14:17:06 »
Loving  the new look. Like everyone else on geekhack I want want want!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 14:18:35 »

You have every right to use the legal tools at your disposal to protect your design.

As for the glass house reference, now that you have used legal means to protect yourself, will you consider making a design based upon copyrighted work again?

Will other makers give pause before producing infringing designs in the future?

I guess we will see.

I have actually been in touch with a couple of companies I would like to work with in producing caps based on their IP. So hopefully that will come to fruition soon.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 14:18:58 »
gg Bro <3
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lobehold

« Reply #142 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 14:31:15 »
I have actually been in touch with a couple of companies I would like to work with in producing caps based on their IP. So hopefully that will come to fruition soon.

Interesting!

Will this mean cease and desist letters for other makers who are not authorized to use the same IP? Perhaps from those big companies and out of your control?

If so, will you be on the receiving end of GeekHack outrage?

The mob mentality is a double edged sword.

Good luck with your endeaver.

Offline naturehaze

« Reply #143 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 14:46:41 »

Sounds sick gonna give any tease of what might be coming?

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 14:56:13 »
Congrats for this victory  :thumb:
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Redeemd

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:08:59 »
Hot damn, this cap would be so *****en on my current layout

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:09:22 »
please read carefully

https://ctrlalt.io/bro-caps/****happens-auction
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:16:30 »
please read carefully

https://ctrlalt.io/bro-caps/****happens-auction

:thumb:

Good Luck Bro! Hope the best for you!

Offline thefebruaryman

• turn it off and turn it on again
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:16:31 »
Interesting stuff. Guessing 500 plus dollars for the action!

Offline GSimon

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:18:10 »
Nice job  :thumb:

I did like the Vander, but in general this move against K3KC is deserved and I feel is for the best.