Author Topic: [IC] Nantucket Selectric - Modern Selectric goes sailing (SA 1-1-2-3-4-4)  (Read 102475 times)

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
With Modern Selectric scheduled to ship this week I've been thinking a lot about what my next set will be. Once again looking to my Selectric for inspiration, I focused on the keys themselves. Mine is a Selectric I with a beige case and dark navy blue keys. The combination is very pleasing, but doesn't quite pop the way I wanted it to. I spent some time thinking about this, and looking at design blogs for inspiration. After a while, this question arose:

What would a Modern Selectric typewriter look like in the timeless Navy/Cream/Yellow palette?

(Direct link: http://i.imgur.com/ggKvwq5.jpg)

This set mimics a Selectric typewriter that never was, but could have been. One that would look right at home in your tiny coastal town, sitting on a big oak desk. The navy blue legends sit upon slightly creamy keys, providing a bright contrast that seems to defy the natural darkness of Navy Blue. The golden yellow of YCF on the mods brings out the handsomeness of BBI in a way that no other shade could.

Examples of placement and various child deals can be found in the full imgur album starting here.

TODO:

• Create SVG for ship steering wheel. The current unicode symbol looks like a snowflake.
  • Create SVG of an anchor so the planck raise/lower can be an anchor and an upside down anchor.
  • Validate the ISO set. This is cobbled together from my previous set and combined without altgr legends ala Carbon.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 February 2016, 13:46:07 by skullydazed »

Offline Data

Re: [IC] Nantucket Selectric - Modern Selectric goes sailing (SA 1-1-2-3-4-4)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 11:39:37 »
Nice touch on the woodgrain background.   :))

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 12:38:25 »
Thanks, once I realized KLE had that option I had to use it. I think an actual wooden case or a hydrodipped case would look fantastic with this.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 18:38:36 »
Really not at all my style, but it's an interesting idea you have. I could see it appealing to some people.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 21:05:17 »
I like the colour scheme but there is something about the design that just puts me off.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 21:08:06 »
Really not at all my style, but it's an interesting idea you have. I could see it appealing to some people.

Selectric is always welcomed because you've supplied icons for legends which always attract the younger crowd.

Definitely worth having if and when this gets launched, there is an advantage of having these type of key-sets because it makes every keyboard look old and stylish.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 23:20:05 »
I like the colour scheme but there is something about the design that just puts me off.

Thanks for the feedback. Are you able to narrow down what you don't like about it? Just an overall feeling, or is there something specific that bugs you?

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 23:22:17 »

Selectric is always welcomed because you've supplied icons for legends which always attract the younger crowd.

Definitely worth having if and when this gets launched, there is an advantage of having these type of key-sets because it makes every keyboard look old and stylish.

Thanks for your kind words. I like to think that the icons are one of the signatures of my selectric designs. And I hope you don't mean old as in over the hill, I prefer to think of it as timeless. :D

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 23:30:48 »
And I hope you don't mean old as in over the hill, I prefer to think of it as timeless. :D

Ahhhh you youngsters, always thinking if the term "OLD" is used anywhere that it MUST mean decrepitude and uselessness  >:( .

OLD is cool, particularly in the area of "KEYBOARDS" go and see what I mean at DT forum, there are people who worship older keyboards and everything connected to them.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 23:34:27 »
Ahhhh you youngsters, always thinking if the term "OLD" is used anywhere that it MUST mean decrepitude and uselessness  >:( .

I don't think that at all, Elrick. My Smith-Corona is an excellent paper weight. The heaviest I have, in fact.
And older relatives are great for having wait in lines for you, provided they're in a wheelchair.

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 00:03:45 »
These legends are  cool!
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 01:22:25 »

OLD is cool, particularly in the area of "KEYBOARDS" go and see what I mean at DT forum, there are people who worship older keyboards and everything connected to them.

If I'm young I don't want to think about how I'll feel when I'm old. ;)

Don't go judging this book by its snarky color. I'm basing my sets on a 60 year old typewriter after all. :p

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 02:05:14 »
Don't go judging this book by its snarky color. I'm basing my sets on a 60 year old typewriter after all. :p

Love the colour sunshine, all we want to know is when is this going to happen......   8) ?

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 08:20:27 »
Love the colour sunshine, all we want to know is when is this going to happen......   8) ?

Soon hopefully. I figure wallets need time to recover after Carbon and VoltaSalt's Mint Chocolate is probably the next big SA set to run, so this set's time should come soon after.

Offline keyboardia1

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 09:52:26 »
Love it!  :thumb:

I'd be very much interested in the base set, the iso and the international add-ons and the mac kit.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 19:25:06 »
Soon hopefully. I figure wallets need time to recover after Carbon and VoltaSalt's Mint Chocolate is probably the next big SA set to run, so this set's time should come soon after.

So this will go on at MassDrop or PMK (please excuse my ignorance here because I haven't been on their PMK site for ages and simply can't be bothered much anymore) ?

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 19:42:51 »
So this will go on at MassDrop or PMK (please excuse my ignorance here because I haven't been on their PMK site for ages and simply can't be bothered much anymore) ?

I haven't decided yet. PMK hasn't launched their new site yet, but they plan to launch it "any day now" from what I've heard. I don't know how I feel about their new structure and am reserving judgement until I see it.

I could run it sooner if I did it as a more traditional group buy, and I may do that if the demand is there. I do know that even if I ordered a bunch of sets today the soonest they could be delivered would be november or december, because that's when carbon will be shipping.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 06 September 2015, 13:03:53 »
@#*! It's like Modern Selectric and Penumbra Solarized had a baby...a bratty, silver-spooned baby.

I'd probably have to sell my Modern Selectric Set to get this...we will have to see how things go but interested in seeing this happen! Even if I don't get the full set I need to at least get the forum keys.

Offline terminallytrill

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 06 September 2015, 20:46:18 »
This set looks great. Probably my favourite SA set so far, the cape cod add on are fire emoji.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 06 September 2015, 23:46:00 »
@#*! It's like Modern Selectric and Penumbra Solarized had a baby...a bratty, silver-spooned baby.

I'd probably have to sell my Modern Selectric Set to get this...we will have to see how things go but interested in seeing this happen! Even if I don't get the full set I need to at least get the forum keys.

This set looks great. Probably my favourite SA set so far, the cape cod add on are fire emoji.

Thanks guys, glad to see others are as excited by this set as I am.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 00:45:42 »
Thanks guys, glad to see others are as excited by this set as I am.

Too fvckin right, this is one fine key-set so don't let any tyre-kickers try to bring you down because there are lots of them residing here on Geekhack.

Nice layouts with icon legends is always desired here, we get so few of them these days...... especially decent Selectric Icons  :thumb: .
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 September 2015, 00:48:08 by Elrick »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 03:45:50 »
I like this colourway a lot! The icons work very well, too.

Just wanted to make sure you're aware that SP doesn't have Row 4 Shift moulds for the 2.25x and 2.75x keys. We've been requesting them for ages, but all the fully sculptured sets that have run so far have been run without them. Matt3o has mentioned that there may finally be something happening about this, but AFAIK they still don't exist.

A suggestion has been made that all SA keyset designers boycott SP until they make the moulds, but this requires a coordinated effort among all the designers, which is no easy task. Considering Carbon sold over 600 base sets, it's a big chunk of business they'd be losing out on if nobody ran sets until they'd done their part. And they'd get more sales afterwards as I know there are some who haven't ordered the fully sculptured sets due to this issue.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 21:50:20 »
Just wanted to make sure you're aware that SP doesn't have Row 4 Shift moulds for the 2.25x and 2.75x keys. We've been requesting them for ages, but all the fully sculptured sets that have run so far have been run without them. Matt3o has mentioned that there may finally be something happening about this, but AFAIK they still don't exist.

Thanks for your work on this front. I am aware (Modern Selectric was affected by that limitation) but a lot of people aren't. I'd like to see the row 4 mods, but I don't know if it will affect this buy or not.

Offline spectre

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 07:36:09 »
I love the colors, I would be in if you put legends on the Planck addon. I would also like it better if it was 1-1-2-3-4-3, or even all R3s.

Offline beltet

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 02:23:26 »
Interested!

Offline xorian

• A nondescript lurker
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 09:22:12 »
I like how you've made the Planck set rows 1-2-3-4 instead of the more common rows 2-3-4-3.  However I wonder if that will make production more costly, as the base TKL and ErgoDox sets have the alphas in rows 2-3-4 as opposed to the Planck set having them in rows 1-2-3.

Offline harlw

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 10:19:05 »

• Create SVG for ship steering wheel. The current unicode symbol looks like a snowflake.
  • Create SVG of an anchor so the planck raise/lower can be an anchor and an upside down anchor.
  • Validate the ISO set. This is cobbled together from my previous set and combined without altgr legends ala Carbon.

I'd like to help with the legend vectors if you're interested. I have ideas for additional legends too.
I have a few from a different project I did a long time ago that can be simplified to work as legends http://cl.ly/d3dd

Just let me know and I'll get started on them, won't take long.
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 12:31:43 »
Just to let you know, I would kill a man to make this come true.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 22:52:24 »

I'd like to help with the legend vectors if you're interested. I have ideas for additional legends too.
I have a few from a different project I did a long time ago that can be simplified to work as legends http://cl.ly/d3dd

Just let me know and I'll get started on them, won't take long.

Those would look amazing. I'd love to include your work in this set.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 22:52:47 »

Thanks for your support. Hopefully we don't have to go that far.

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 11:02:28 »

Thanks for your support. Hopefully we don't have to go that far.

Fair enough.. but you just say the words. I need these in my life.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 12:16:06 »
Damn, I wish I had a "Summer Keyboard" to put this on.

The only thing I see standing in the way of this is the colorway being hard to match to a keyboard/other keys. The navy doesn't play well with black, and the cream would look weird with white or grey.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 14:04:24 »
I am interest, but only if the Mac add on is part of the buy.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 14:28:39 »

The only thing I see standing in the way of this is the colorway being hard to match to a keyboard/other keys. The navy doesn't play well with black, and the cream would look weird with white or grey.

Two words:

Wood hydrodip.

Or preferably an actual wooden case with a nice thick layer of varnish. Ah, nautical.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 14:31:04 »

Two words:

Wood hydrodip.

Or preferably an actual wooden case with a nice thick layer of varnish. Ah, nautical.
That would be perfect.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 15:03:00 »
A balsawood case with varnish and possibly even some old spice sprinkled on :)

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 16:48:18 »

Two words:

Wood hydrodip.

That would be perfect.

I feel like you all get my vision for this set.  :thumb:

Besides those options I think this could pair well with one of the champagne or red aluminum cases they do on massdrop, or a pure white case like the EC108-Pro.

Offline harlw

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 10:24:23 »

Two words:

Wood hydrodip.

That would be perfect.

Besides those options I think this could pair well with one of the champagne or red aluminum cases they do on massdrop, or a pure white case like the EC108-Pro.

Light blue anodized plate would look pretty nice too methings (you know...the ocean <.<  >.> O.O ).

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 11:22:33 »

Two words:

Wood hydrodip.

That would be perfect.

Light blue anodized plate would look pretty nice too methings (you know...the ocean <.<  >.> O.O ).
Red anodized would look fantastic as well. Or if you could find weathered brass.... Mmmm

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 12:04:11 »
i'm in........... :thumb:
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 07:52:24 »
I think I've convinced myself I need this set. Along with a brass key plate.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 08:06:55 »
You may add RGB legends for ALT, CTRL and SHIFT. It would be an special detail.

There is no R3 \| key. Just a heads up.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2015, 08:11:43 by ideus »

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 09:13:40 »
I'm trying to insert my debit card into the DVD bayof my laptop... How long until I can buy this?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 09:16:15 »
I'm trying to insert my debit card into the DVD bayof my laptop... How long until I can buy this?

:)) Patience is a virtue.

Offline harlw

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 09:19:13 »

mmmmmm, brasss

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 09:47:19 »
In for this, loving the color scheme!

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 10:00:14 »

mmmmmm, brasss

I know right? Brass key plate, stained wood case, rope cable sheath, its making me drool just thinking about it.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
    • Clueboard
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 15:32:09 »
Thanks for being so enthusiastic! I'm looking forward to bringing this set to everyone.

I've been talking to Melissa at SP, and have some preliminary pricing in hand. It also looks like we have quite the wait on our hands, SA production is currently booked up out to February. By the time the group buy has been run and orders collected we may be out to March or April for delivery to me. I'd like to get this into people's hands as soon as possible, so I may start the group buy portion soon. I also don't want to have to be responsible for holding people's money for that long, so I'm considering fronting the money for the group buy myself and only invoicing people after I have keys in hand. How would you feel about a group buy run that way?

Offline terminallytrill

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 16:13:17 »
The sooner the better of course. If you've got the ability to front the money that could definitely help lock in for February, since it would be at least another month or two if you hold the standard GB. That's a lot of responsibility to take on though. I'm still in either way.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 16:42:35 »
Thanks for being so enthusiastic! I'm looking forward to bringing this set to everyone.

I've been talking to Melissa at SP, and have some preliminary pricing in hand. It also looks like we have quite the wait on our hands, SA production is currently booked up out to February. By the time the group buy has been run and orders collected we may be out to March or April for delivery to me. I'd like to get this into people's hands as soon as possible, so I may start the group buy portion soon. I also don't want to have to be responsible for holding people's money for that long, so I'm considering fronting the money for the group buy myself and only invoicing people after I have keys in hand. How would you feel about a group buy run that way?

You will run with the entire risk of dropped orders, that you already paid for.