Author Topic: [IC] GMK Deep Navy | GB May 1st | gmkdeepnavy.com  (Read 87959 times)

Offline Zeelobby

Re: [IC] GMK Deep Navy
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 07:21:56 »
I would love to see renders of this set on E white or PC. Just for the sake of visualization. Probably not a good idea to render a deep blue set on a deep blue background (albeit looks real nice though)
I second this. I'd even take on black.

Offline duxbridge

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 17:52:39 »
I would love to see renders of this set on E white or PC. Just for the sake of visualization. Probably not a good idea to render a deep blue set on a deep blue background (albeit looks real nice though)

I also second this motion! This deep navy set would really pop on an E-white keyboard!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 19:16:48 »
Could we get some kind of color comparison with the Rudy blue? I know they're similar, but I want to see just how similar they are before I decide whether to join this.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Butterbeer

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 20:28:48 »
As for the PgUp and PgDn keys, I'll probably pass on those. The base kit is already fairly big and it's already pretty standard compatibility for 65% and 75% boards.

Keep in mind that most new sets (incomplete list here) opt to include these keys, while less than half of them include 2× 1.5u Code and an extra 1u Alt like you have here.

Thanks for putting together that list Constexpr. I can now confirm that it is not just me using R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn, but a solid list of NEW MOQ'd sets to include these keys. Nice to see the data supporting this trend.

Offline Tennstrong

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 22:00:05 »
If possible I'd love a render with text mods, sorta comes across as one that would do well with text or text + icon.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 02:58:02 »
Could we get some kind of color comparison with the Rudy blue? I know they're similar, but I want to see just how similar they are before I decide whether to join this.

Rudy:

Deep Navy:
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 05:38:02 »
yes

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 05:52:49 »
yes
Seconded. As an aside, I think this would look great with the blue constellation. Need that render, haha.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
Re: [IC] GMK Deep Navy (EU, OCE, CA vendors announced, kit revision)
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 08:08:42 »
Hi guys, just a quick update:

I know this is potentially a long way off, but I got 3 vendors to work with me on this project:

EU: mykeyboard.eu
OCE: dailyclack.com
CA: deskhero.ca

Still looking for a North American vendor, so do send me a message if you're interested (more active on discord, *tom#1646).

Next, I've made a couple revisions to the kit based on feedback I've received. For now, no 40s in base because I'd rather have full support than something very minimal. This kit design isn't by any means final but it's what I'm considering doing right now - of course this could change with what a vendor wants to run.

Classifieds

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 12:36:00 »
so potential for a 40s kit separate?

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 13:51:35 »

There are 3 ways this receives 40s support:
- more interest, meaning I'm more comfortable having a less popular child kit with this
- a vendor coming on board that wants a 40s kit and is happy to buy it out
- 40s being incorporated into the base (à la Finer Things)

The reason I'm not doing the last one is because I don't think that there is enough 40s love to justify everyone else having to spend more to have that many redundant keys in the base. Then again, I may be wrong. But this is how it's looking right now.

Classifieds

Offline hkiri

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 14:03:31 »
What's up with the R4 <>-key when there are already the two separate < and > keys in R4?
Shouldn't the R3 \|-key be in R4 and keys for @, and  #~ be in R3 for basic ISO(-UK) support?
At least that's what most base kits provide for basic ISO support if I'm not mistaken.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 14:27:28 »
What's up with the R4 <>-key when there are already the two separate < and > keys in R4?
Shouldn't the R3 \|-key be in R4 and keys for @, and  #~ be in R3 for basic ISO(-UK) support?
At least that's what most base kits provide for basic ISO support if I'm not mistaken.

You're mixing up the national layouts English (USA) terminal style and English (UK). See http://www.farah.cl/Keyboardery/Why-Do-Keycap-Sets-have-so-many-Copies-of-the-Backslash-Pipe-Key/#row4yes for a good explanation of what goes in the "ISO R4" key.

Offline beekey

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 14:41:31 »
Show Image

I like this, works for my layouts.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 14:51:00 »

You're mixing up the national layouts English (USA) terminal style and English (UK). See http://www.farah.cl/Keyboardery/Why-Do-Keycap-Sets-have-so-many-Copies-of-the-Backslash-Pipe-Key/#row4yes for a good explanation of what goes in the "ISO R4" key.

Ah, thanks a lot! I never think about the "US ISO" and most of the time you see either full ISO-UK support with additional keys for the number row in the base kit or the mixture I have described.

But tbh I'm even fine with the current direction as long as I get ISO support at all, since ISO-UK isn't my national layout either.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 16:21:46 »

- more interest, meaning I'm more comfortable having a less popular child kit with this

The reason I'm not doing the last one is because I don't think that there is enough 40s love to justify everyone else having to spend more to have that many redundant keys in the base. Then again, I may be wrong. But this is how it's looking right now.

well at least it looks like ill be saving some money then lol

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 16:23:14 »

I’d be all for a separate 40s child kit

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 20:02:04 »
Next, I've made a couple revisions to the kit based on feedback I've received. For now, no 40s in base because I'd rather have full support than something very minimal. This kit design isn't by any means final but it's what I'm considering doing right now - of course this could change with what a vendor wants to run.

Show Image

Good updates. A few more things for your consideration, though not a must by any means: R4 numpad 00, R1 numpad =, System and Sys instead of Code (cause, let's be honest, Code makes no sense).

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 10:34:37 »

Show Image

Good updates. A few more things for your consideration, though not a must by any means: R4 numpad 00, R1 numpad =, System and Sys instead of Code (cause, let's be honest, Code makes no sense).

'course it doesn't. It should be "Code" on the leftside mod and "Decode" on the rightside mod.  :cool:

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 05:45:15 »

As someone else explained, it's for US ISO. I wanted basic ISO compatibility and this is the best way to get that while providing for a full layout. For anyone that's interested, the reason I didn't add the tertiary legend that's sometimes included is because in my opinion it doesn't really make sense with everything else being dual legends.

Show Image

Appreciated. Probably will pass on those though.

I’d be all for a separate 40s child kit

well at least it looks like ill be saving some money then lol

40s still in consideration. Trying to think of a creative way to add support but I might elect to go for a separate child kit still.

Classifieds

Offline Hoipolloi

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 09:06:49 »
is separating out numpad a consideration? would be very interested if base kit was more stripped down

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 18:11:39 »
is separating out numpad a consideration? would be very interested if base kit was more stripped down

Possibly - it's early days. If I did do that though I'd do NumISO but nothing is final.

Classifieds

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 03:13:17 »
I have the other perspective on numpad support. Would be more likely to purchase a comprehensive base kit than spend on several child kits. Maybe like Burgundy R3.

Offline kindakeyboards

• hi! im Milo and i make keyboards.
    • kinda.be
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 08:52:51 »
DIG DIG

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 10:13:20 »
I have the other perspective on numpad support. Would be more likely to purchase a comprehensive base kit than spend on several child kits. Maybe like Burgundy R3.

I'm leaning towards this

Classifieds

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
Re: [IC] GMK Deep Navy (10/02/2020 - more renders added)
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 11:40:46 »
Added some renders on the Evolv:

I'm fully aware the colour looks a bit different to abec's renders - the lighting is pretty bright on these. I am very happy with how they turned out though - we had to play around with the colour for quite a bit to get what I was looking for.

Classifieds

Offline ElijahJMitchell

Re: [IC] GMK Deep Navy (10/02/2020 - more renders added)
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 12:30:18 »
Super intrested!

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
[IC] GMK Deep Navy (10/02/2020 - more renders added)
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 17:05:24 »
Super intrested!

good to hear!

I may try to do a small run of this in SP SA through dixie's fulfilment services (MOQ is typically much lower) before a GMK run, wondering if there would be any interest for something like this? Just one kit with decent compatibility, nothing crazy.

Also, gauging interest in a couple changes to the spacebars kit:

Poll: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuOonD5NHCNRjVwgMFlcwFgF4raHZ94mN6wxd_8BAD3o2P5g/viewform?usp=sf_link

Classifieds

Offline noorejji

Re: [IC] GMK Deep Navy (NEW FORM - SA run? + spacebars changes)
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 02:04:55 »
Yes. I’d be stoked for a small run in the very near future.

Offline Oni74

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 08:13:17 »
Love the concept, but I am thinking it's a shade or two too dark. Based on one of the pics, 280C feels like a better balance. Looking forward to following the conversation and help it evolve into a great addition for my collection.

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 17:16:32 »
Hi guys, just a quick update:

I know this is potentially a long way off, but I got 3 vendors to work with me on this project:

EU: mykeyboard.eu
OCE: dailyclack.com
CA: deskhero.ca

Still looking for a North American vendor, so do send me a message if you're interested (more active on discord, *tom#1646).

Show Image

💯

Offline Ealdin

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 19:27:30 »
I already love it in this shade of blue! I agree with Macmutant about having an old-school base kit rather than smaller, separate kits.

Offline break

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 18:44:09 »
SA Deep Navy is very interesting to me. Where can I follow along for details aside from the GH thread?

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 18:55:25 »
SA Deep Navy is very interesting to me. Where can I follow along for details aside from the GH thread?

Yes. I’d be stoked for a small run in the very near future.

I ordered some chips from SP last week so I'll get a quote once I've decided on the colours. If I do run it, expect a single minimal base kit (see magic city; reached out for quotes with a larger kit and the price is way too high for my liking)

Still unsure of whether I think this has enough interest to run but I'll do a small kit update regardless in the coming few days. Pretty busy with life and some other projects right now so I haven't managed to devote all that much time / resources into this yet.

Classifieds

Offline DoubleCheck

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 02:53:09 »
I'm really interested with this sets! Can you let me know about approximate GB schedule and prices?
By the way, GMK set has quite a few of interest from Korean community. It gets possitive feedback with Base kit's components.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 February 2020, 02:56:15 by DoubleCheck »

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
Re: [IC] GMK Deep Navy | Updated kits and renders
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 07:27:32 »
hi everyone, got a small update today:

made some changes to the kits.

base:
- changed 'code' to 'super'
- removed some bottom row mods

addition:
- removed all the spacebars shorter than 2u
- added b
- added staggered 40s compat

base changes:
code to super is a trend I'm seeing a lot more and though I'm pretty impartial myself, super makes more sense. I know some people may be happy about the bottom row mods but I didn't think they'd be necessary when it's already such a large base kit. If I do get a vendor that wants to split numiso then these might make a return in a tkl base kit.

for the addition changes:
of course it used to be called 'spacebars'. I didn't think this was as fitting anymore given how it now is also a 40s compatibility kit. as for the keys, these three give proper compatibility to a large number of layouts, and barely change the cost. some people elect to put 'b' in base, and I originally planned on having the 40s keys there but if you use any of those you'll most likely prefer to have the correct spacebars, so this makes much more sense.

also abec changed the shade of navy on the iron 165, should make it clearer to see the set now

Classifieds

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 11:16:32 »
There's a few of us here and on reddit who trade the split bars and ortho/40s keys from these sets. Think your change will work out well.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 11:23:31 »
- changed 'code' to 'super'

Glad to hear this. Code has never made much logical sense to me; it's pretty much an unfortunate circumstance how it came to be used as an OS key legend with the early GMK TA sets; and it looks worse too, as you get two capital C's next to each other with it sitting next to Control. Super is a better choice all around in my book.

That being said, I'm going to keep advocating for the System key, as I think it makes for an even better choice than Super. :P Whereas the name Super corresponds to what the key does on just *nix systems, System is a more generic legend that makes sense across any OS. Moreover, I think the Sys variant for 1u keys looks better than 1u Super since the legend is not as cramped on the key (from what I've seen, this is one of the main reasons why some people prefer Code over Super). With System/Sys you get the benefits of both and the drawbacks of neither. This is why we opted to help produce the System mold for GMK Yugo instead of going with Super.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 February 2020, 11:26:23 by constexpr »

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 11:28:40 »
Wow, this keyset looks very nice on a white board. One of my favorites, but I wish it was more blue instead of black.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline darko

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 13:26:15 »
one more vote for "System/Sys" as constexpr said...

Offline hkiri

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 13:34:27 »
My vote goes for: Stay with "Super".

Offline duxbridge

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 14:54:23 »
Any chance of macOS keycaps subset like this one from Nautilus?

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 17:09:14 »
Any chance of macOS keycaps subset like this one from Nautilus?

Though I'm a Mac user myself, I don't think the interest is there. Just sticking to two kits for now.

Classifieds

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 18:56:45 »
mac user as well, and i'd never really grab those

Offline premise_

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 18:30:09 »
Any chance for a text + icon mod kit?

Offline rooski15

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 20:04:46 »
Been a bit - just checking in. This kit looks spectacular, would love to see it produced.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 20:25:18 »
Color looks amazing.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 22:52:15 »
I'm reducing gmk buys until they actually deliver haha. But this is the one I'll still buy in to.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 00:47:08 »
This is looking really great
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Starlight-Dawn

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 08:22:33 »
Love the dark blue.
Looking forward to this one :)