Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 1352 times)

Offline thestateofmay

Greetings
« on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 20:42:57 »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build my second board. The previous board I built was using stock parts from KBDFans, which was fine but I'm look for a bit more customization this time around. Namely, I'm looking for a HHKB layout that isn't aluminum. I'm willing to wait for the exact parts I need so here I am :)

Offline Maledicted

Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 11:15:55 »
Hi thestateofmay. Welcome to Geekhack.

Have you seen the HEAVY METAL KEYBOARDS GB?

They'll be made of sheet steel, in Germany, and they're relatively affordable to boot. Interesting finish options, and they've got an HHKB variant.

I wouldn't know any others, I don't really look at group buys, etc.

What switches have you tried? Which do you like?

Offline thestateofmay

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 12:47:25 »
I've tried most of the Cherry MX switches, Gateron yellows, Topres. I like Topres the best but want to try something different, so I preordered some Holy Pandas ;D

The heavy metal GB looks good but I want something light, so none of the metal materials. The material I'm eyeing right now is FR4 but non-metal cases with a HHKB layout seems hard to come by, so I'd be happy with anything light I guess.

For my PCB I'm trying really hard to find a wireless USB C board. The very few I've found are all out-of-stock, like BIOI G60BLE. If I can't find one I'll have to make do with something like the HS60.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 14:12:22 »
Welcome :)

The Topres are a good one for sure :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 14:19:22 »
I've tried most of the Cherry MX switches, Gateron yellows, Topres. I like Topres the best but want to try something different, so I preordered some Holy Pandas ;D

The heavy metal GB looks good but I want something light, so none of the metal materials. The material I'm eyeing right now is FR4 but non-metal cases with a HHKB layout seems hard to come by, so I'd be happy with anything light I guess.

For my PCB I'm trying really hard to find a wireless USB C board. The very few I've found are all out-of-stock, like BIOI G60BLE. If I can't find one I'll have to make do with something like the HS60.

I like the weighting and smoothness of Gateron yellows vs authentic cherries and run-of-the-mill clones. Good switches. People do seem to rave about holy pandas. I haven't tried those, or Topre. Kailh box jades and navies are my favorite modern switches.

You may want to post about those requirements in the Keyboards section of the forum. It would get more exposure, and would probably be more focused. Good luck finding what you're looking for.