Author Topic: Trying to re-create the Milestone Acrylic Palm Rest  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Vitamins

Trying to re-create the Milestone Acrylic Palm Rest
« on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 21:59:41 »
I fell in love with the look of the Milestone Acrylic keyboard that was floating around for a while:
www.overclock.net/t/1232968/milestone-tenkeyless-wrist-rest

And due to the fact that I can't find anything readily available minus the $80 HHKB Pro one that is available through Geek4u,
I'm looking for a way to have one made.

The current site/manufacturer that I've found is:
http://www.displaycaseart.com/acrylicblockbases.html

There's an option for $20 dollars for a 1" x 3" x 12" plain base.
Those dimensions seem like they would work for a 60% board like my Poker II.

Anyways, just curious what people thought about going that route.
Thanks in advance!

Offline zemp

• FREE ITENS PLS
Re: Trying to re-create the Milestone Acrylic Palm Rest
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 20:22:05 »
well you'll need power tools, and a LOT of wet sanding

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 02:53:52 »
Ducky make a nice acrylic rest, but it's a folded sheet of thinner material. Still looks great, IMO: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42808.30

Of course, the Ducky logo is a bit prominent and not to everybody's liking.

Cutting a 1" slab down to size (3/4") will need some serious work. If you can live with it being just 10" wide, you could cut 2 from this: BV10 Clear 3/4 10 10 $29

Just cut the width you need, say 3" and sand and polish the edge. The flat edge can rest against the board, so it doesn't even have to be done that neatly.

If you want to have one made instead of doing it yourself it will cost a lot more than the HHKB one.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline conandy

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 16:44:47 »
I'd be happy to make you one out of wood.  I have some scraps of oak, walnut, cherry, maple, white ash, hickory, baltic birch plywood, and a number of mahogany look-alike's that I could make it out of, or I can get you the exotic wood of your choice (for more $).  It'd have to be delivered after the first of the year, because I'm trying to finish up some Xmas presents this month, but I would be happy to make one for you if you aren't in a hurry. 

Just give me the dimenions: length by width and the total height (off the desk).  If you want it slanted front to back, let me know the total height off the desk at the front (closest to you) and at the back (next to the keyboard). 

Easiest (and cheapest) way to construct it if you want slanted would be to add risers to the feet, but I could make it a solid block with a slanted top (and flat bottom) as well.  I would put some small rubber feet on the bottom in any case.

Otherwise, a flat, sanded, finished piece of rectangular wood with the corners rounded and the edges all radius-ed would be a quick and inexpensive. 

Any local woodworker could do the same for you.  I'm in Denver, CO, so shipping would need figured in. 

I'd guess I could make the simplest form for you from scrap lumber for $25.   A slanted one with exotic lumber might run $40.  As a one-off piece, these prices are actually losing money prices for me, but if we started talking about production level quantities, the price could come down.  Just a thought.  I think it would be fun. 

If you are married to acrylic, though, I'd have to do some experimentation, but I might be able to replicate the ducky "bent acrylic" version.