Author Topic: Mouse layer for programmable keyboard like ErgoDox?  (Read 2367 times)

Offline jamadagni

Mouse layer for programmable keyboard like ErgoDox?
« on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:02:39 »
Hello. I'm wondering about what an efficient mouse layer suitable for CAD-type work (mostly SVG editing and such) which can be programmed onto a programmable keyboard like ErgoDox or Axios would look like.

I know that the TMK firmware provides for Wheel/Pointer Up/Down/Left/Right movements and 5 buttons, but specifically I am wondering whether for the pointer it would be useful to have Fast vs Precision movements in the four directions...

I wonder if I'm making much sense...

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: Mouse layer for programmable keyboard like ErgoDox?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:43:36 »
 can you adjust 'fast' vs 'precise' ? The only place I'm using mouse-in-kbd firmware it was put there by Metalliqaz' EasyKeymap, which doesn't have a setting like that. What it does have, doesn't seem to me it would be useful for hard mousing work. It's great for clicking in a text entry field so you don't have to reach for your mouse just to go 'click' and back to typing however.

My biggest frustration is that the mouse pointer moves so slow, so I'd probably choose a faster setting, but I don't work in any program where 'click/drag' is the primary means of achieving work.

If you can choose two speeds, I'd suspect you'd want them both available. One layer for fast motion, another for precise. I mean, if you're writing your own firmware, you can do crazy things like that, right?

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline jamadagni

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:23:40 »
I mean, if you're writing your own firmware, you can do crazy things like that, right?
Dunno – I guess that's also part of my question. Basically I'm thinking of getting an ErgoDox-like keyboard and want to know whether a mouse layer can be setup this way...

Offline vvp

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 14:59:04 »
Chris' firmware has mouse layer: https://github.com/chrisandreae/keyboard-firmware
And other firmwares have it probably too.
The problem is not to having a mouse layer but to finding out proper speed and acceleration model which would work well. If you need mouse for a CAD work it is probably better to stick with a real mouse.