Author Topic: Someone make glass keycaps already (┛ಸ_ಸ)┛彡┻━┻  (Read 9521 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Tired of waiting for my dream to come true of thick frosted glass spacebars.  :'(

Offline joey

Re: Someone make glass keycaps already (┛ಸ_ಸ)┛彡┻━┻
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 14:11:06 »
paging firebort

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 14:18:28 »
Can't be done cost effectively

If you want it all one piece,  the bottom pocket opening and stem have to be cnc milled.

It takes forever to cnc mill glass because if you take too large a bite, the whole thing xplodes.

And the stem is a very small feature, so you have to go extra slow..

It's relatively fast to cut big holes, but small shapes are difficult.

Now imagine how many passes you need to make going down 0.005mm at a time at a very slow feed rate..

If you melt glass into a mold,  it won't have that perfectly uniform geometry that we're used to seeing on the plastics. You'd also still have to manually polish the damn thing.

Then, when you're done with the pocket,  you need to use a Laser cnc to cut the outside features, because a cap would be too small to effectively clamp.

Small things require a bit more clamp force, try that with glass, xplode..

So lasering the external feature would be the only realistic way after the back pocketing.

The laser is really fast though, so at least that's good.

All in all, it's too work intensive,   not impossible

Offline flashquark

• Flashquark.com | Mech Key Depot
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 14:22:55 »
I thought of this before as well, but you know what the problem would be with that?
The holes for the stems to go into would either be way too loose or too tight to the point that stuffing the stems in would break the glass.

Plastic is flexible but glass is not.
https://flashquark.com | Keyboards, Keycaps, Switches, and other MK accessories.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 14:35:00 »
I thought of this before as well, but you know what the problem would be with that?
The holes for the stems to go into would either be way too loose or too tight to the point that stuffing the stems in would break the glass.

this is a problem because cherry changed up their insert thicknesses here and there over the years.

If they stuck to one thickness, it should be possible to calculate the precise opening within the tolerance.

But, overall, i think the easier way, would be to just pocket the whole bottom, then glue a clear acrylic stem into place.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 14:41:26 »
tp4 got such a huge brain, I swear, boi.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
Someone make glass keycaps already (┛ಸ_ಸ)┛彡┻━┻
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 15:18:59 »
Damn tp4 doesn't play

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 15:58:17 »

this is a problem because cherry changed up their insert thicknesses here and there over the years.

If they stuck to one thickness, it should be possible to calculate the precise opening within the tolerance.

But, overall, i think the easier way, would be to just pocket the whole bottom, then glue a clear acrylic stem into place.

That's what my thought was as well. As lovely as one solid piece would be, the stems would be too brittle and susceptible to breakage over time. The intricacy I don't see as an issue at all, as CNC can be very precise, just that glass (even tempered) is still brittle and one weird bend and the entire work would be useless.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 16:10:58 »
Tired of waiting for my dream to come true of thick frosted glass spacebars.  :'(

tp4 now tell us how to make stained-glass spacebars
(this is my dream)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 16:24:26 »

That's what my thought was as well. As lovely as one solid piece would be, the stems would be too brittle and susceptible to breakage over time. The intricacy I don't see as an issue at all, as CNC can be very precise, just that glass (even tempered) is still brittle and one weird bend and the entire work would be useless.

How about making them like ramage space bars. Glue plastic stems onto them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 17:52:56 »

that's what i just said.. hahahahaha

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 18:07:09 »

that's what i just said.. hahahahaha

I'll be honest, I only read about 1/4 of what you say, glazed right over it

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 20:32:31 »

I'll be honest, I only read about 1/4 of what you say, glazed right over it

Hahahahahhaa..

Tp4 will admit, 100% Tp4 is too Potent of Tp4 for most people.. !!

Hahahhaahja

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 17:13:58 »

tp4 now tell us how to make stained-glass spacebars
(this is my dream)

Hrrrmmm...  The geometry is not extremely complicated, I think it could be done via soldering jig.

But you'd have to be pretty xpert level at cutting and foiling stained glass,  because you'd be using 1 to 1.5mm glass.

and the cuts are very small..

Offline bitranch

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 11:06:38 »
I could cut and solder it (done lots of stained glass) easily enough. But with 1mm glass, in order to be structurally sound, the solder line would need to be far thicker than want you'd want aesthetically. There's also the issue of protecting the patina on anything that gets touched.

For a real stained glass look on a spacebar, you'd really want more than one piece (and glass color) across the top. The solder lines aren't flat with the glass, so you're going to have a bumpy key with a strange typing experience.

Embedding the glass in resin would solve most of these issues, but that seems to defeat the purpose. Plus I'm not certain if glass + resin wouldn't end up being too thick.

Maybe — with lots of experimentation — the glass could be fused and then slumped into the proper shape. But thin glass in a kiln is extremely unpredictable (it really wants to be 3mm thick), so you'd probably end up with at least an 80% fail rate.

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 14:45:13 »
A lot of thought going into all this. It's pretty neat to see!

All I know is that I'd hate to be furiously typing and have one shatter. RIP

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 23:48:46 »
I've seen some resin jewelry that looks freakishly like glass, couldn't this be achieved for the same look for the keycap you're aching for?

I also know of some porcelain powder that is added to resin for some friends who do cosplay to achieve a more durable porcelain knock-off.

c h e r

Offline happykey

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 13:33:18 »
GLASS

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 14:14:02 »
I've seen some resin jewelry that looks freakishly like glass, couldn't this be achieved for the same look for the keycap you're aching for?

I also know of some porcelain powder that is added to resin for some friends who do cosplay to achieve a more durable porcelain knock-off.

those are decorative,

if you kept rubbing and handling the resin, it would lose the glass like luster/transparency.

Offline antquinonez

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 14:56:24 »
You know what I hear? Excuses. Something else, let's make those letters etched glass, with pictures of dead family members and cats like in the mall.

172707-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 16:37:04 »
You know what I hear? Excuses. Something else, let's make those letters etched glass, with pictures of dead family members and cats like in the mall.

(Attachment Link)

These are controlled micro fractures within the glass stock done by laser.

You can't cut anything this way, because complex geometry becomes a bit unpredictable.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 21:56:08 »
G.L.A.S.S.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 19:40:19 »
3D printed glass wouldn't be a terrible idea

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 04:59:34 »

interesting idea.. probably doable...  but it wouldn't be clear glass, it would be mostly opaque and the deposition powder would be ridiculously expensive.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 14:11:07 »

interesting idea.. probably doable...  but it wouldn't be clear glass, it would be mostly opaque and the deposition powder would be ridiculously expensive.

Anything glass is already ridiculously expensive though haha. Definitely not going to look like a fish tank that's for sure.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 16:18:22 »
If you didn't want to attempt melting frit in a mold, the only real way I see is CNC milling each cap individually which is costly but effective.

Have an indented groove milled on the inside, and 3D print out some stems to epoxy in there. If the caps are made thick enough and the edges are rounded I see no reason they should shatter. Chipping over time perhaps.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 18:11:29 »
Hello

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75950.msg1890968#msg1890968

OMG PickelsKill's signature explains so many things I was unaware of.. ffs :-[

Thank you for the link fohat!

Offline Happy Hopping

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 05:17:22 »
If someone were to do this, I bet it would be Azio.

Offline KeycapKid

• KEYCAP KID
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 20:55:13 »

(Attachment Link)

Hahahahaha. Yes.

In all seriousness, i've thought about 3D printing with a material that is like glass / ceramic.  Of course, as already stated, the stem would be an issue. It also has to be kiln fired which results in substantial shrinkage, but that could be accounted for.