Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3478409 times)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #16550 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 10:44:29 »
ripsto
I love Elzy

Offline mac.n.keys

« Reply #16551 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 03:34:51 »
Hi,
I think about getting the Infinikey Pastel - Mega Addon Kit
Link: https://prototypist.net/collections/infinikey-pastel/products/group-buy-infinikey-pastel-mega-addon-kit
for a Drop ALT Mechanical keyboard or a Ducky One 2 SF.

I'm pretty new to this.
My question: What do the numbers in the photo of the add-on kit mean? (1.5u, 2u, 7u etc.).
I assume it's some sort of size indication. How can I check if it fits on my keyboards?
Thanks.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16552 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 17:06:38 »
Hi,
Link: https://prototypist.net/collections/infinikey-pastel/products/group-buy-infinikey-pastel-mega-addon-kit

I'm pretty new to this.
My question: What do the numbers in the photo of the add-on kit mean? (1.5u, 2u, 7u etc.).
I assume it's some sort of size indication. How can I check if it fits on my keyboards?
Thanks.

A standard letter key is 1 unit wide and this is written written 1u, you have to eyeball if the bigger keys are 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 of a key bigger than that.

The two boards you mention use different keys in the bottom row and the right shift but more importantly the Ducky will have come with OEM profile keycaps which are different height to the pastel ones, which are Cherry profile.  Not sure about the Drop board.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mac.n.keys

« Reply #16553 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 02:28:29 »
Hi,

I'm pretty new to this.
Thanks.

A standard letter key is 1 unit wide and this is written written 1u, you have to eyeball if the bigger keys are 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 of a key bigger than that.

The two boards you mention use different keys in the bottom row and the right shift but more importantly the Ducky will have come with OEM profile keycaps which are different height to the pastel ones, which are Cherry profile.  Not sure about the Drop board.

Thanks for answering my question and the info about the profile. I didn't knew about that.
Comparing the Drop Alt keycaps with a comparison shot on reddit I think they are Cheery profile.

I must admit I'm a total noob in mechanical keyboards.
Is there anything else I need to consider when selecting keycaps for a keyboard?
Is there a beginner guide somewhere on GH?

https://external-preview.redd.it/mOLsIwK7vyWP9Y57Q0DEzdufQUQzjC8zJdqohLBzbzY.jpg?auto=webp&s=72bdef19750ef60f74f8f26589e4ee1abd8d21c5

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16554 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 04:52:37 »
Is there anything else I need to consider when selecting keycaps for a keyboard?
Is there a beginner guide somewhere on GH?

Show Image

Yup, looks like Cherry.  Manufacturers usually say in the product description but pictures work too.

I was going to say there isn't a guide because it's pretty simple and with the two things above you're now an expert, then I remembered the possible rubbing of some keycaps if the switches are one way up or if they have LEDs in them, not a problem if you match whats on there though.

Most people buy a whole set which makes things easier but I should warn you that the Drop keycaps are probably ABS and if they are they will sound different to the PBT pastels.  Some people would be bothered by this, most don't care.  The font may also be different, and/or in a different place on the cap.  You know if this will bother you better than I do :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #16555 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:05:02 »
Anyone know how the blank white Gateron or ePBT caps compare to WS1?

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #16556 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:03:53 »
Anyone know how to get in touch with the ctrl.alt people? I'm trying to find the podcast that they did (I think it was BunnyLake) with HipsterPunks back in 2016, maybe as far back as 2014.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #16557 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:08:39 »
Anyone know how to get in touch with the ctrl.alt people? I'm trying to find the podcast that they did (I think it was BunnyLake) with HipsterPunks back in 2016, maybe as far back as 2014.

Your best bet is probably on Instagram. I believe it was sent who did the interview though iirc

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #16558 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 17:24:00 »

Your best bet is probably on Instagram. I believe it was sent who did the interview though iirc

Awesome, thanks. Gonna try to track this down.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #16559 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 06:30:06 »

Awesome, thanks. Gonna try to track this down.

Let me know if you find it

Offline zerosxl

« Reply #16560 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 06:32:30 »
Anyone know if there are any tenkeyless format PCBs that support the gateron optical switches?!?
I've been searching for a solid 2 hours and cannot find anything.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #16561 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 19:23:32 »

Offline derpdederp

« Reply #16562 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 07:02:57 »
I'm probably going to mod it to make it even more quieter but would you say cherry silent blacks are the quietest switch to start with?

Did you ever get an answer to this @bear95? I'm curious if there is anything just as quiet but less mushy & scratchy than the cherry mx silent black... I'm not saying they are mushy & scratchy, but I've seen so many reviews of the cherry mx silent red/black claiming as much.

Offline ♾Ḋḯṩⱥṩẗḝṟ

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16564 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 17:39:53 »
Are there any split keyboards with a polycarbonate plate?

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #16565 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 20:12:03 »
Are there any split keyboards with a polycarbonate plate?

I think the plate files have been released for the VE.A but I'm not really familiar with other split boards

Offline chyll2

« Reply #16566 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 06:09:14 »
I want to upgrade an off-the shelf keyboard stabilizers. It is plate mounted. Am I correct that the only upgrade path right now is the GMK/Cherry plate-mounted stabs?

All other aftermarket stabilizers are PCB/screw-in which will never fit or allowed to be used on a plate?

Offline jamster

« Reply #16567 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 05:51:36 »
Are DSA and XDA the only 'row agnostic' profiles? A quick Google suggests so, but ideally I'm looking for a profile that is cylindrical rather than spherical (DSA), and not like a dinner plate (XDA).

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16568 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 06:39:37 »
Are DSA and XDA the only 'row agnostic' profiles? A quick Google suggests so, but ideally I'm looking for a profile that is cylindrical rather than spherical (DSA), and not like a dinner plate (XDA).
G20 caps from PMK are not spherical, not sure they're cylindrical though.  No ISO enter either, if that's a problem.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jamster

« Reply #16569 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 06:56:01 »
G20 caps from PMK are not spherical, not sure they're cylindrical though.  No ISO enter either, if that's a problem.

Thanks, hadn't even realised there was a profile called G20. No ISO isn't a problem, I left ISO boards twenty years ago. Looked up the profile and they appear to be even flatter than XDA- almost chicklets!

Offline jamster

« Reply #16570 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 05:03:23 »
Are there any readily available tactile switches with silencing besides Zilents?

All I've come across so far are on the silenced front are linears from Cherry and Gateron.

Edit: And by 'tactile' I mean more tactile than Cherry brown (aka practically linear :)

Edit2: Just found a thread talking about Box Silent Browns. Might be the ticket.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2020, 05:20:21 by jamster »

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #16571 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 22:20:52 »
Favorite 60% case that accepts a standard 60% PCB? Specifically, I just picked up an AN-C PCB from Cannon Keys for fun, but I'm not 100% sure what case to buy for it. I've had a KBDFans Tofu in the past, and I wasn't thrilled with it. I already have some Rama and other higher end boards, as well as an NK65, so I know a traymount / stock PCB combo isn't going to compare.

Still, let me know if you have a recommendation for a premium standard 60% case that I might not know about. Thanks in advance!

Offline Julia

« Reply #16572 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 08:33:52 »
Hi, got a couple questions.

I recently have the opportunity to buy a Northgate Omni 102 with blue alps. What's a good price for it? The seller is offering 150 but I'm unfamiliar with the pricing. Also if that's not the best price, what are other boards listed in deskthority would be good for a blue alps board? Lastly, are their any specific areas for alps keycaps and any good groupbuy boards that have alps compatibility?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #16573 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 11:42:33 »
Hi, got a couple questions.

I recently have the opportunity to buy a Northgate Omni 102 with blue alps. What's a good price for it? The seller is offering 150 but I'm unfamiliar with the pricing. Also if that's not the best price, what are other boards listed in deskthority would be good for a blue alps board? Lastly, are their any specific areas for alps keycaps and any good groupbuy boards that have alps compatibility?

Hell, I'll buy that for 150 (assuming USD). I picked up my Leading Edge DC-2014 for just a bit more. I'm having a harder time finding decent blue alps, so I wouldn't pass up a board at the price (regardless if it's the "best" price)

Re, interesting ALPs groups buys over the horizon: Hiney's DCS WoB
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline XIII_AJS

« Reply #16574 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 01:43:59 »
I need a PCB for a TKL size, i am new to building keyboards but i am looking at the XD87 hot swap https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33028638867.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.2.409aefbdeSXe7Q and i am wondering if i solder lights to it would i be able to control themb (change colors) or will they only have one color depending on the LED i buy. Thank you

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16575 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 11:59:59 »
I need a PCB for a TKL size, i am new to building keyboards but i am looking at the XD87 hot swap https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33028638867.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.2.409aefbdeSXe7Q and i am wondering if i solder lights to it would i be able to control themb (change colors) or will they only have one color depending on the LED i buy. Thank you

Here's what it looks like to me just from the pictures at your link:
- There are RGB LEDs presoldered to the bottom of the board. These will provide underglow (which may be easy or difficult to see depending on your case), but will not illuminate individual keys.
- There are through-hole pads for per-switch LEDs, with two pins per LED. In nearly all cases, this means you can only install single-colour LEDs (some boards are compatible with bi-colour LEDs, which can be driven in either direction, but it doesn't look like that's the case for this board).

If the pictures are wrong, it could be anything! As an aside, if you're building a keyboard, make sure you pick a case that's physically compatible with your chosen PCB -- i.e. that the mounting holes and USB port cutout are in the appropriate places.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #16576 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 09:57:15 »
Didn't I see this in an IC or GB thread recently? What keyboard is this? Thanks.

245528-0

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #16577 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 11:05:50 »
Didn't I see this in an IC or GB thread recently? What keyboard is this? Thanks.

(Attachment Link)

That's a Keycult No. 2 Rev. 1 in grey top, brass bottom. Retailed for $850-900.

https://keycult.io/pages/no-2-rev-1-preorder-information

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #16578 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 16:47:41 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 June 2020, 21:15:56 by digi »

Offline Nkrlz

« Reply #16579 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 08:28:18 »
I have an IBM model M (part number 1391401) which came with a detachable PS/2 cable (grey round badge on the left side), i broke a trace on it, the rest of the keyboard works perfectly. I just bought an older Model M (model number 1390120) which came with a detachable DIN cable (no status lights and square metal badge on the right).

For what i have read it should be perfectly possible to use a passive DIN-to-PS2 adapter to connect the older keyboard to a "modern"standard.

So, my question is, its possible to use the PS/2 cable from the part number 1391401 with the part number 1390120 keyboard? (i will eventually make a passive adapter if its possible, i would say buy one but importing anything here is a gamble).

EDIT: I tested the cable (to be sure i wasn't gonna fry anything) and it works!
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 June 2020, 09:51:09 by Nkrlz »

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #16580 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 14:38:54 »
Anybody have an Alice KLE json I could use? It's tricky to get those angles just right.

Offline uncleaner

« Reply #16581 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 08:14:23 »
Does anyone have a good method for lubing ergo clears? I lubed the sliders and stem with tribosys 3204, and if anything they feel less smooth. Kind of rough and gummy.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 June 2020, 08:18:31 by uncleaner »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16582 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 09:59:06 »
Does anyone have a good method for lubing ergo clears? I lubed the sliders and stem with tribosys 3204, and if anything they feel less smooth. Kind of rough and gummy.

Gummy sounds like too much lube - remove and clean off a stem and put it back in to see if it feels better (the housing will still be lubed)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline uncleaner

« Reply #16583 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 19:00:58 »

Gummy sounds like too much lube - remove and clean off a stem and put it back in to see if it feels better (the housing will still be lubed)
Thanks, that did the trick, I couldn't get them feeling good until I did an absolute minimal coat on the rails and the whole stem minus the tactile legs. Wish I'd used a thinner lube though, clears have a sharp bump and I don't think 3204 works well with it.

Offline mac.n.keys

« Reply #16584 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 04:38:45 »
I have just received my DROP ALT with with Kaihua Box White switches a few days ago.
However keys wobble quite a lot. Is there anything I can do about that?
Another question:
Does it make sense to add o-rings to these switches to make them a bit softer?
I want keep them clicky but I always press the keys all the way down.
Especially the spacebar is kind of annoying in terms of sound and feeling.

Offline kb5674

« Reply #16585 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 06:49:43 »
How to know if a switch is completely worn out or can still be revived, i have some cherry mx blues which won't click anymore, does this mean its totally worn out or it can be repaired/refurbished with some effort?

Offline greninja

« Reply #16586 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 09:48:02 »
hello my first post here
q1 is there any 3d printable full size cases
q2 is there a standoff layot standard on full size kb's

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16587 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 09:11:07 »
hello my first post here
q1 is there any 3d printable full size cases

I believe it's been done before, but don't know if files have been released. The ones I've seen have been assembled from several smaller prints, rather than printed full-size. Easiest would likely to be a tray case, either for PCB-mount switches, or to be compatible with an existing plate. 3D printed plates have also been done, but they tend to be thicker than spec for MX-compatible switches, which makes mounting much more difficult, and you can run into PCB clearance issues if you're not careful.

A quick search comes up with a bunch of results for 60% tray cases, which it appears can be fit on a larger sized print bed to print in one piece, here's one example:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91080.0

q2 is there a standoff layot standard on full size kb's

Not to my knowledge. Other bits are nonstandard as well -- for instance, the spacing between 'blocks' (e.g. gap between number row and f-key row, gap between alphas and nav cluster), and the position of the USB cutout.

If you're looking at doing a 3D printed case, I'd look at the different aftermarket PCBs available, pick one you like, and do your design based on that board's measurements. I'm not sure off the top of my head where to even find a 104 aftermarket PCB though, perhaps someone else will know.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline ♾Ḋḯṩⱥṩẗḝṟ

« Reply #16588 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 05:32:54 »
How to know if a switch is completely worn out or can still be revived, i have some cherry mx blues which won't click anymore, does this mean its totally worn out or it can be repaired/refurbished with some effort?

Hey kb5674,

are the blues mounted on a keyboard? Are all switches non clicky?
I found this thread, maybe it helps: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38310.0

Offline jamster

« Reply #16589 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 06:50:34 »
Does it make sense to add o-rings to these switches to make them a bit softer?
I want keep them clicky but I always press the keys all the way down.
Especially the spacebar is kind of annoying in terms of sound and feeling.

O-rings will help with softening bottom out.

Thick grease on the stabilisers might help with the spacebar sound.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #16590 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 13:15:04 »
Anybody have an Alice KLE json I could use? It's tricky to get those angles just right.

Bump (is that allowed on GH?)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16591 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 15:22:05 »

This is allowed -- questions sometimes do go unanswered here because nobody sees them, but I think more often it's because either nobody has the answer, or it's not simple enough for this thread.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest looking through the Alice IC or GB threads, it's possible something was posted there?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #16592 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 21:56:45 »
I know KeyClack is closed for the time being, but are they (or were they) still stocking BKE Redux domes? I've been using mine for about 2 years straight now, and some domes are starting to stick / lose their elasticity.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline jamster

Shortest keycap profile?
« Reply #16593 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 04:00:15 »
I'm looking for the shortest caps possible, to offset the Dumang DK6 which uses individual raised magnetic capsules to house each switch, which results in the keys being quite high.

A quick look on the net suggests DCS as a slightly shorter version of Cherry. Seems a bit uncommon, but is this the shortest sculpted profile available?

Offline coarse

• * Maker
    • Coarse Keys
« Reply #16594 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 12:39:48 »

This is allowed -- questions sometimes do go unanswered here because nobody sees them, but I think more often it's because either nobody has the answer, or it's not simple enough for this thread.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest looking through the Alice IC or GB threads, it's possible something was posted there?

alice files are available on GH: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95054.msg2661499#msg2661499

i remember seeing a kle link of alice and it had weird values that you normally cant get from kle

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #16595 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 13:32:44 »

alice files are available on GH: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95054.msg2661499#msg2661499

i remember seeing a kle link of alice and it had weird values that you normally cant get from kle

Thanks! Not sure what to do with a DWG file though. Was expecting a json :/

Offline coarse

• * Maker
    • Coarse Keys
« Reply #16596 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 20:08:59 »
Thanks! Not sure what to do with a DWG file though. Was expecting a json :/

didnt you want to get the angles for the alice? you can get it from cad files easily. but iirc, it was around 10 degrees or 12 degrees

EDIT: i just checked the plate file and it is indeed 12 degrees
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 July 2020, 20:13:27 by coarse »

Offline Julia

« Reply #16597 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 20:30:54 »
When I see alps switches, there are usually two versions. One is a bit thicker, like this: https://d2rormqr1qwzpz.cloudfront.net/photos/2018/05/06/102136-alps1.jpg

and then there are skinny ones like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qvQAAOSwg4RfIuOv/s-l1600.jpg

What's the difference between these two?

Offline coarse

• * Maker
    • Coarse Keys
« Reply #16598 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 21:29:15 »
When I see alps switches, there are usually two versions. One is a bit thicker, like this: https://d2rormqr1qwzpz.cloudfront.net/photos/2018/05/06/102136-alps1.jpg

and then there are skinny ones like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qvQAAOSwg4RfIuOv/s-l1600.jpg

What's the difference between these two?

i really dont know much about but the orange one is from the alps skcl/skcm series and the blue one is an smk alps mount switch. both should be compatible with alps keycaps, but i think the smk alps mount ones dont have the same pcb pins as regular alps?

Offline cspirou

« Reply #16599 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 12:23:31 »
Is there a name for the layout with 10 macro keys on the left side? Like the Rama Zenith? I think it was common in vintage keyboards.