Author Topic: [IC] RSB-1: Gasket mounted 65%  (Read 4116 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Keyboard Designer
[IC] RSB-1: Gasket mounted 65%
« on: Tue, 04 October 2022, 11:04:07 »
Hi all, welcome to the IC for my first design. It is a sleek, gasket mounted 65% board, designed with a clean look in mind.

292004-0

Coming from the classic fullsize gamer-RGB board with max-decibel switches, building a 65% with smoother switches was a breath of fresh air.
Yet I wanted something more stylish than the simple plastic case I had found myself with, so I started designing one. After many iterations,
I am finally at a point that I am pleased with the case and can start gauging people's reaction, to see if there is enough interest to warrant
a production run, or rather keep this at a personal project.

IC FORM

The RSB-1 was designed with a sleek look in mind, avoiding some of the usual tropes of a gasket mounted board, like the flat ridge around the top where the screws go through.
As such, the sides and corners are rounded and no screws are visible from the outside, giving it a softer appearance than other boards.

Specs

-Mounting style: Gasket
-Layout: 65%
-PCB: Hotswap
   -Full RGB, south facing LED's
   -USB-C daughterboard
   -1.6mm thickness
-Materials: Aluminium Top/Base, Brass weight
-Plate: 1.6mm Aluminium
-Mass: ~1.5kg built
-6o typing angle, 19mm front height

292008-1

Prototypes
Next step in development is requesting prototypes, along with this will be quotes for production costs etc.
I will update this post with new information as it comes in.

Sale Specifications
Most of the details are TBD, depending on IC results and further development
Sale type: Groupbuy
Vendor: TBD
Units: TBD
Price: TBD
Date: TBD

Additional Renders
292010-2

292012-3

292014-4

Follow me on Instagram for every update.
If there is a clear interest in the board I will go ahead with requesting prototypes, quotes, vendors, etc.
I am very open to any type of feedback and suggestions, since this is my first design I may have overlooked or just
weren't aware of certain expectations/wishes, so please let me know!
Thank you for reading!
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 October 2022, 15:46:40 by Blueprint »

Offline irithyll

Re: [IC] RSB-1: Gasket mounted 65%
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 October 2022, 11:35:12 »
At the current state, it seems like the planning and details are a bit too lacking to gather any meaningful feedback.

Offline unusuaL_

• Illustrious
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 October 2022, 12:29:47 »
what the hell are those screws :eek:
collection: yae60 proto, f1-8k (cocogoat shill), hhkb pro2

Offline Blueprint

• Keyboard Designer
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 October 2022, 14:10:41 »
At the current state, it seems like the planning and details are a bit too lacking to gather any meaningful feedback.

I am purposely not setting any dates as to when sales etc. might be starting, since it is obviously not possible to tell with certainty in the current state of the project. I want to be able to deliver a good board so I don't want to be bound to a deadline and having to rush. As for the details, want kind would you like to see more of at this stage? Do you mean the lack of prototypes or is there something else I forgot to describe?

what the hell are those screws :eek:

(I assume you mean the angled ones) I wanted to work around the usual ledge parallel to the top where the screws enter, and having them go through a rounded side wouldn't look very pleasing either. So having them enter from the bottom from an angle fixed that while still having them clamp the top.

Offline alaudbrother

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 October 2022, 02:44:43 »

I am purposely not setting any dates as to when sales etc. might be starting, since it is obviously not possible to tell with certainty in the current state of the project. I want to be able to deliver a good board so I don't want to be bound to a deadline and having to rush. As for the details, want kind would you like to see more of at this stage? Do you mean the lack of prototypes or is there something else I forgot to describe?

The general point of the IC is to gauge interest into whether people would be willing to help you pay for the production of the board.

1. Does a prototype of this board exist in real life? Have you verified that the aesthetics/design can actually be implemented physically?
2. Do you have target pricing based on certain MOQs? If you made 20, 50, 100, 1000 of these boards, how much *could* they cost?
3. Given how the PCB claims 'Full RGB' and hotswap, what layouts are supported? are the switches going to be north or south facing? is it a 1.2mm or 1.6mm PCB? are there any flex cuts?
4. What does the plate design look like? What materials have you tested your prototype (if they exist) with?
5. hell, what do YOU like about this keyboard and what makes it different from every other 65% gasket mount currently within the space?

Given how you 'don't want to be bound to a deadline and have to rush', I can't see myself paying out any amount of money to support your project as it is, because I don't know anything meaningful about the keyboard (or how you plan on producing it)

Offline Blueprint

• Keyboard Designer
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 October 2022, 15:33:33 »

The general point of the IC is to gauge interest into whether people would be willing to help you pay for the production of the board.

1. Does a prototype of this board exist in real life? Have you verified that the aesthetics/design can actually be implemented physically?
2. Do you have target pricing based on certain MOQs? If you made 20, 50, 100, 1000 of these boards, how much *could* they cost?
3. Given how the PCB claims 'Full RGB' and hotswap, what layouts are supported? are the switches going to be north or south facing? is it a 1.2mm or 1.6mm PCB? are there any flex cuts?
4. What does the plate design look like? What materials have you tested your prototype (if they exist) with?
5. hell, what do YOU like about this keyboard and what makes it different from every other 65% gasket mount currently within the space?

Given how you 'don't want to be bound to a deadline and have to rush', I can't see myself paying out any amount of money to support your project as it is, because I don't know anything meaningful about the keyboard (or how you plan on producing it)

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it! I'll update the post with the things I missed. Perhaps I misunderstood what an IC is for, where I was looking for interest in the general design, it seems the expectation is to have the project in a much further state of development. Thank you for the insight, and I will be working towards that!

Offline Eruzuna

• I like them keebs. :)
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 04:28:41 »
Loving the look of the board. Stunning honestly. :thumb:

But I have a few questions / suggestions:

I would love to see what kind of layout options you have in mind. Maybe a WKL version? Or a Solder PCB version? Wireless maybe?
I personally don't think the RGB per key is worth the cost for a premium looking board like this. I never use the RGB on Alu frame boards myself. And not having RGB per key allows for more layout options/configurations if I am correct...

It could also be cool if it is possible to cover up the big holes for the sideways screws on the bottom. Maybe use these holes for removable bottom feet like the QK65 has.

About the weight: I like the round design, but I think the logo is just a bit big. Maybe just the shape of the logo is enough to make it stand out? So as to not include the "BPK" lettering within the cut out shapes of the logo?

Good luck with the IC fellow Dutch person! :thumb:

Offline Blueprint

• Keyboard Designer
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 15:27:09 »
Loving the look of the board. Stunning honestly. :thumb:

But I have a few questions / suggestions:

I would love to see what kind of layout options you have in mind. Maybe a WKL version? Or a Solder PCB version? Wireless maybe?
I personally don't think the RGB per key is worth the cost for a premium looking board like this. I never use the RGB on Alu frame boards myself. And not having RGB per key allows for more layout options/configurations if I am correct...

It could also be cool if it is possible to cover up the big holes for the sideways screws on the bottom. Maybe use these holes for removable bottom feet like the QK65 has.

About the weight: I like the round design, but I think the logo is just a bit big. Maybe just the shape of the logo is enough to make it stand out? So as to not include the "BPK" lettering within the cut out shapes of the logo?

Good luck with the IC fellow Dutch person! :thumb:

Thank you for the kind words and feedback! I will look into the current layouts and how I could supplement them with different PCB configurations, and keep your other suggestions in mind when I get to prototyping.