Author Topic: crystal trackbal - can I convert serial to ps/2 or usb?  (Read 3171 times)

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
crystal trackbal - can I convert serial to ps/2 or usb?
« on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 21:09:22 »
I just picked up a crystal tracball at a thrift store and I was wondering if either a PS/2 conversion or usb would be easiest, and if there's a pro/con to either, such as drivers or anything like that.

I do have an old card from a windows 95 box that should have the proper connections but I'm not sure if there's pci slot that will be compatible with that and drivers and such and I was hoping I could just get a simple conversion cable from serial to PS/2 or USB. 

Should that work ok?

Here's the model of trackball I bought:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-USA-CRYSTAL-SERIAL-TRACKBALL-MOUSE-big-ball-TRACKBALL-3-BUTTON-ps2-serial-/390481075486?pt=Mice&hash=item5aea7c5d1e

Even lights up!  (by the way when will i no longer have to do the verification questions below posts?  I'm new to this forum)

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
Re: crystal trackbal - can I convert serial to ps/2 or usb?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 12:03:51 »
Try this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107108

A lot of computers still have serial ports so you might not need an adapter for it, but if you need an adapter I would go with a USB one, since PS/2 is almost less common than serial nowadays.

I haven't used a serial mouse since I was a 3-4 year old using the EasyBall, but it shouldn't require any more drivers than a PS/2 or USB one would.  It should be plug and play like any other mouse.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2013, 12:05:23 by CreamyNutButter »
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
Re: crystal trackbal - can I convert serial to ps/2 or usb?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 13:54:13 »
Thank you, when I have some spare cash I might give that a shot!  My priorities have shifted and i tried a serial card that was installed in my computer, but it ended up causing my onboard sound to die and an RMA through ASUS!  not sure what the culprit was but i've had enough of that mouse for some time.  :-X