Author Topic: Micro review of my typing experience (Cherry MX) over the past years  (Read 8584 times)

Offline F u r u y á

Typeracer: Improvement over time (18k races over 20 months)

The following is my perception exclusively for typing. Browsing and gaming are a different subject.

SwitchPerception (typing)
MX Redlight and fast -> love
MX Brownlight and nice -> like
MX Bluetoo much bump -> dislike
MX Cleartoo heavy -> hate

Q: Why the brown->clear gradient in the picture? A: Because I'm not sure when exactly I did the transition
Q: How was the blue->red transition? A: Can't describe. High slope in the graph speaks for itself!
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline swagpiratex

Re: Micro review of my typing experience (Cherry MX) over the past years
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:13:09 »
I was wondering why you looked so familiar. Raced you a couple of times. Personally I like Blues the best, followed by Browns. Reds are too easy to make mistakes on.

Currently playing as Revolver Wario.

Offline dmreeves

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 00:47:03 »
On an interesting note in response to this, I fired up typeracer today and played around a bit on my Steelseries 6gV2 mxBlacks. I prefer the linear actuation over clicky style blues/browns. I am receiving a KBT Pure Mx Red tomorrow and will share my results between the blacks and reds.

But I am average at like 96wpm on Blacks so far after about 20 races and maxed out at like 105wpm.

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 01:24:32 »
Nice. When I race next times I'll look for a Revolver Wario (in case you didn't see already: Wario keycaps :])

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 02:17:03 »
On an interesting note in response to this, I fired up typeracer today and played around a bit on my Steelseries 6gV2 mxBlacks. I prefer the linear actuation over clicky style blues/browns. I am receiving a KBT Pure Mx Red tomorrow and will share my results between the blacks and reds.

But I am average at like 96wpm on Blacks so far after about 20 races and maxed out at like 105wpm.
Performance wise, I too prefer the linear style. I prefer light also, and I couldn't stand MX Clear springs.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 02:53:35 »
Interesting data Furuya. 18k is a ton or races. I can't really imagine how much time you've spent on typerracer. Were they all typed on those fat O-rings you bought from me when you first joined GH?

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 03:11:19 »
Yes, the majority of the MX Red typing was on the fat O'Rings I bought from you!

I was for more than a year away from the keyboard community (and others also) and a couple of weeks ago I started to follow them again. Just to give you an idea, I have a Phantom (full set up: PCB, plate, case, some switches, diodes, etc) since that time here in the box unutilized. And because I droped out my R4 GB order, I don't have some special keycaps needed (7bit plate).

I see that you're organizing a bunch of things here (GH60!), very nice WhiteFireDragon! Your O'Ring GB was very nice, is someone selling every option you provided in that GB (fat, thin, hard, soft...)?

I'm sad that I missed the Korean stickers and the Lubes group buy! I hope I can get them in the near future.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 April 2013, 03:14:10 by F u r u y á »

Offline Altis

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 17:06:43 »
I find the reds to be very nice too, lately.  I borrowed a keyboard with Reds, and I prefer them to the browns in my DAS keyboard.  To be honest, I find that having such a small tactile bump (versus the noticeable one in the Blues) ends up making it feel a little more like poor production quality as opposed to quality typing sensation... Of course, depends on how fast and hard you type.. I digress!

You should try the other switches again and see your rates, as the graph could also be indicative of your ability to type improving over time (18k races is quite a bit of fast typing!)

Thanks for sharing!
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Jack

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 17:17:58 »
I had a similar slump when I switched to blues. I struggled along but I guess I just can't hit blues right, and now my all-time average is still recovering from that period. I'm on blacks now and they're giving me the best results I've had since I was on buckling springs. I want to give reds a try and see if the lighter force helps any.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 19:01:12 »
I had a similar slump when I switched to blues. I struggled along but I guess I just can't hit blues right, and now my all-time average is still recovering from that period. I'm on blacks now and they're giving me the best results I've had since I was on buckling springs. I want to give reds a try and see if the lighter force helps any.

the difference for the blue is the sound.

Because you hear a click before the button actually activates, as opposed to the bottoming out sound on the other switches.

it screws up your timeing.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 19:27:49 »
I have a hard time with anything but clears.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 21:22:33 »
ergoclears brah. since you love your reds like i do at times...i think you would quite like ergoclears.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 22:47:15 »
Wow, can't believe that anyone types better on Reds! I couldn't get past 115 or so with Reds, but on Blues, I can exceed 130, and the same on the very first day of using Greens.
This is using 10fastfingers though, so it would probably be different than typeracer. I'm not good at TR, can't get past 120.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 22:52:18 »
I like most switches, although I haven't tried browns yet.

Currently alternating between reds at work and BS at home (only a slight contrast).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 22:55:17 »
Currently alternating between reds at work and BS at home (only a slight contrast).

This is kinda what I do, but moreso reds on the go/gaming and BS at my desk doing work.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline mv_LaiN

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 19:43:52 »
nice/agreed
looking for cheap/used 60% boards! <3