Author Topic: IBM Model M SSK -- Brief Comparison  (Read 5717 times)

Offline Hypersphere

IBM Model M SSK -- Brief Comparison
« on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 11:27:35 »
Yesterday, I unboxed my NIB IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (SSK), birthdate 13 September 1990. See below for a closeup view of the PBT dye-sub keycaps, showing the extra legends for the embedded numeric keypad and navigation keys.

29598-0

Although I rarely use the embedded numeric keypad or embedded navigation keys, this is a nice touch that is not found on many TKL boards (the RF 87u is the only other board of which I am aware that has this feature -- please let me know if there are others).

Before acquiring the SSK, I used a full-size IBM Model M. For various reasons, I decided that I would like to move the mouse closer to the midline. This prompted a search for keyboards in the 60% - TKL (80%) range. I tried a number of boards, including the following: Ducky TKL with Cherry browns, Filco MJ2 TKL Ninja with Cherry blues, and the Leopold FC660M with Cherry blues.

Build quality of the Ducky was disappointing -- the case was not true and wobbled on the desk, and the extensible feet lacked a rubberized coating, so that the keyboard had a tendency to slide. Typing action and keycap feel were reasonably good, but I did not like the appearance of the keycaps when the red LEDs were not activated.

The Filco case was solid and true with no wobble, and the rubberized feet kept the board planted firmly on the desk. Typing action was crisp but too light for my taste, and my speed and accuracy suffered. The ninja keycaps were not for me, both with respect to legiibity and feel, so I replaced them with the classic beige "Olivetti" set from Originative. The new keycaps improved the appearance and legibility of the board, but the feel of double-shot ABS was still not as good as PBT.

Leopold has a winner in the FC660M. The compact design is elegant and efficient. It has a mostly standard layout in the main typing area, along with a minimal and highly intuitive Fn layer. The keycaps are PBT, but they are too dark for good legibility, so I replaced them using a combination of white and gray dye-sub PBT sets from Originative. Build quality is outstanding. The board is solid and true, and it remains rooted to wherever it is placed on the desk. Nevertheless, my typing speed and accuracy on the Leopold were not as good as on the original Model M or the SSK.

The IBM SSK is a masterpiece. It has all the features I want in a keyboard. The dye-sub PBT keycaps look and feel wonderful, so that despite my membership in GH, I do not feel compelled to replace any of them. The buckling spring switches provide just the right resistance and aural/tactile feedback for the best typing experience and performance as far as I am concerned. Typing on the SSK is sure and precise, giving me a feeling of confidence in my typing that I do not feel with other keyboards. While not nearly as small as the FC660M or the Filco TKL, the IBM SSK is substantially smaller than the full-size Model M, yet its considerable mass and exceptional build quality keep it sitting squarely on the desk. Finally, not that anyone looking for a buckling spring keyboard would be concerned about noise, I find that the SSK is quieter than my full-size Model M.

Overall, I prefer the IBM Model M SSK over any other keyboard I have ever used. In comparison with recent acquisitions, I would rate the Leopold FC660M second to the SSK, but my complete typing experience including speed and accuracy is far better on the IBM SSK.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 April 2014, 14:45:08 by rjrich »

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
Re: IBM Model M SSK -- Brief Comparison
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 22:57:12 »
Great comparison to some well known alternatives! I am using a FC660M (as my modded Poker X is out of commission due to bad desoldering) with reds.

I was going to switch the caps but the space bar is unique (which is upsetting). I don't like the flatness of the caps at all... feels awkward and I can feel my fingers typing more mistakes with these caps.

I really really want this board though.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 09:41:58 »
Great comparison to some well known alternatives! I am using a FC660M (as my modded Poker X is out of commission due to bad desoldering) with reds.

I was going to switch the caps but the space bar is unique (which is upsetting). I don't like the flatness of the caps at all... feels awkward and I can feel my fingers typing more mistakes with these caps.

Thanks. I hope that the comparisons might be helpful. If you are looking for an IBM SSK, keep visiting the clickykeyboards.com site to see if one surfaces there. Clickykeyboards is the best source for consistent reliability. I was very luck to find a NIB SSK on eBay, but in general, eBay is hit or miss.

As for contemporary boards, I really like the Leopold FC660M. The form factor is just about perfect -- similar to a Poker II, but with the addition of dedicated arrow keys along with Insert and Delete. These additions disrupt the symmetry of the board, but if you try to bring the arrow cluster into the 60% boundary, you have to reduce the size of other keys, and if you embed it, then the Fn layer become more complicated.

The main problem with the FC660M (and even more so with its Topre cousin, the FC660C), is the difficulty and expense of customizing the keycaps because of the shorter right shift and the atypical stem spacing of the spacebar. Nevertheless, I have replaced the keycaps using dye sub PBT Cyrillic sets from Originative. I was able to replace everything except the stock spacebar; not ideal, but it looks okay. These new keycaps feel great, but now I am looking for a less busy design for the alpha keys and something more legible than the black on dark gray modifiers that I have used. Otherwise, the FC660M is my second favorite board next to the SSK.

I recently did an O-ring mod on the FC660M using 40A-L rings from WASDkeyboards. This made the board quiet enough to use for taking notes during telephone conference calls.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 15:41:43 »

FYI, there is now a workaround for the Leopold FC660M spacebar. Qtan is selling plain white Keycool 84 spacebars on his site for about 7 USD. These spacebars fit both the Keycool 84 and the Leopold FC660M. In fact, using the outer pair of mounting stems, this spacebar fits a number of standard keyboards, such as the Filco TKL, etc. The white goes reasonably well with various sets of alpha keys in white.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 17:24:11 »

FYI, there is now a workaround for the Leopold FC660M spacebar. Qtan is selling plain white Keycool 84 spacebars on his site for about 7 USD. These spacebars fit both the Keycool 84 and the Leopold FC660M. In fact, using the outer pair of mounting stems, this spacebar fits a number of standard keyboards, such as the Filco TKL, etc. The white goes reasonably well with various sets of alpha keys in white.

Buns that it is a white spacebar. I am trying to go all black with this and some novelty caps.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 18:54:22 »

Buns that it is a white spacebar. I am trying to go all black with this and some novelty caps.

I did not realize you wanted to go all black on the keyboard. In that case, you could keep the stock spacebar, although it is not perfectly black, and go with all other caps in black.

One of the keycap mods I did was to populate the board with doubleshot white-on-black caps from Cherry keyboards acquired on eBay. This looked good, even with the stock spacebar.

You could do a similar thing with new doubleshot sets from SP. I have just now done a two-tone scheme on the FC660M using black and white sets, but I am considering going back to all black (except for the near-black spacebar). *

On this keyboard, it could be useful to do the arrow keys in a contrasting color from the adjacent modifiers, but I like the Insert and Delete keys in a dark color to minimize their isolated look.

*Edit: I went ahead and used two SP doubleshot black sets and did the entire board in black. I think it does look better this way. I put the stock spacebar back on. The spacebar looks to me like a brownish-black. It is not an exact match to the rest of the keycaps, but to my somewhat colorblind eye, it looks close enough. Even so, it would be good to locate a source for Leopold FC660M spacebars in different standard colors.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 August 2013, 19:28:54 by rjrich »

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 17:19:14 »
I REALLY want an SSK. Buckling Spring is BY FAR my favorite switch type.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 17:27:56 »

Then keep an eye on new listings that might appear on GH, as well as clickykeyboards.com, which is a very reliable source. Otherwise, you could take your chances with eBay. I got mine on eBay, and I was extremely lucky to have chanced upon an NIB board.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 17:29:39 »

Then keep an eye on new listings that might appear on GH, as well as clickykeyboards.com, which is a very reliable source. Otherwise, you could take your chances with eBay. I got mine on eBay, and I was extremely lucky to have chanced upon an NIB board.

I'll look into it more when I'm not broke. Ok I'm not broke, but my money is spoken for.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013