Author Topic: CM Storm Quickfire TK (MX Blue)  (Read 11580 times)

Offline Linkbane

CM Storm Quickfire TK (MX Blue)
« on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 03:52:48 »
So as a Forum Noob, here's a review of the Cooler Master Quickfire TK.

Like it's brother the Quickfire Rapid, the TK uses a tenkeyless design, but is unique in that instead of eliminating the numpad, it eliminates the six command keys and integrates directional keys into the numpad. The company has better pictures than I could take, so here is an example.

Table of Contents

Dimensions
Taken from the CM website, the keyboard is 14.9 x 5.4 x 1.3 inches, about 2.5 inches shorter than the Corsair K60 full size, and significantly lighter; it weight 544 grams, or slightly over a pound.
It also comes with a removable braided micro-USB to USB cable, about as thin as a soda straw but very flexible and quite durable, with straight, left, and right channels. No extra USB ports.
There is a steel plate in the back, and therefore minimal if any flex. On the bottom, there are four flat rubber surfaces, and rubber feet on the stands, preventing movement on my slippery desk.

Layout
As you can see, the keyboard uses a double-0 key rather than the traditional extra-large 0. However, as can be inferred, with the trade off of the reduced form comes a trade-off. I am primarily a typist, and I play some RPGs, and the use of the keys on the numpad (by turning numlock off) is rather natural to me, as they are in the same spaces in which the directional keys would normally occupy. As a matter of convenience, the lights for each of the four keys are lit up when numlock is off and they are functional.
Because, however, I am a typist and not a programmer by any means, I have little experience with using the keys in a spreadsheet, and from other reviews which I have read, programmers would certainly be better-served with a full size keyboard, without compromise.

Keys
As for the keys  themselves, they are ABS made and coated with a matte, grippy substance; the coating is light and comfortable on the fingers, rather hard to describe but certainly not unpleasant. Between the choices of switch are the basic Red, Blue, and Brown; the Blue which I am using have a 45g actuation force. The spacebar and both shift keys use Cherry Corp stabilizers rather than third party, and while reviews are mixed I feel that they are extremely light and responsive. Being a backlit keyboard, the letters on the keys are a translucent white. Thankfully, the text is straight and easily readable (Razer, take note) while still being stylized to indicate its status as a gaming peripheral.

As far as the function and special keys, the escape and F1-F12 keys have, in order, a toggle between 6KRO and NKRO for USB, light on/off, brightness, mode, multimedia, volume, and a Windows Lock key, which lights up only when activated. Unusually, the keyboard also has a function lock key, activated by holding for a few seconds, between the right windows key/control which also is lit only when in use. The Insert/Home/etc. keys are also put into the numpad above the direction keys, and can be useful while playing MMOs.

Lighting
As the mechanical switches themselves change, so too do the color of the backlighting. Blue and red intuitively have blue and red backlighting, respectively, while Brown (pictured) has white. If one looks beneath the keys, a feature of the bottom is quickly seen, in that it is colored; the coloring corresponds to the backlighting and serves to enhance the light strongly and provide for an even lighting. Each key, of course, is backlit.

Between the modes, there is a simple 'gaming' mode, in which only the WASD keys and directional/windows lock/FN lock keys are lit, if they are applicable, a breathing mode, and a basic lit mode where all the lights excluding those earlier mentioned if not in use are on. There are five modes of lighting, and for indoors purposes the fifth (highest) level is absolutely glowing light, while at one the keys are still easily read, but more suitable for darker situations; I prefer a two or one at most times, but the higher settings are certainly very good looking if overly bright. This is where the colored back (pardon the pun) truly shines, as the even reflection of light eliminates dark spots and at higher settings make the keys and spacing between them glow a wonderful looking-blue.

Conclusion
In summary, I must say that I really do enjoy the Quickfire TK, it being my second keyboard after the Corsair K60 with MX Red, given a combination of factors, especially its affordable pricing, at $80-90 from Amazon and other retailers. Mine was open-box, and it was a free five dollars off for no compromise, as it was a display model. The light weight (544 g) is very nice, as it weighs less than half of most full-size mechanical keyboards and similar to membranous keyboards, despite its metal backing.

The typing sensation is as expected, but the coating on the keys was something new to me and genuinely felt very comfortable and easy on the fingers. If you are looking for a great-priced keyboard which is easily transported and great for typing, this is a good choice. Of course, if you want something similar in feel and appearance yet with the directional keys and six keys rather than numpad, the Stealth version is a go-to, and the recently reviewed Quickfire XT is a full-sized version at a lower price but without the backlighting.

On the good, the great feel of the keycaps, solid backlighting, and sensible features (windows/fn lock, adaptive lights) impressed me, as well as the NKRO in USB. The travel factor also, of course.
For drawbacks, I would have to say the lack of ports (a USB port and/or headphone jack would make this perfect), but few other issues.

P.S. For more experienced reviewers, any help on things that I could work on? This is a first review, and it feels rather unpolished but I think that I covered most points. I do apologize for having little other than the Corsair to compare this keyboard to, as I have nothing else on hand! Advice is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 October 2013, 23:41:48 by Linkbane »
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
Re: CM Storm Quickfire TK (MX Blue)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:41:53 »
I think you gave it a good review  :thumb:

I really like the tenkeyless design while retaining the numpad

Pretty sure Cooler Master just got some more of my $

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 14:52:52 »
I think you should just focus on the switch/board that you have instead of trying to generalize for all the switches. You do a pretty good job but the focus leaves a little.

Also since the article is long and very informative, people might want to look at this again so I find it helpful if you put like a Table of Contents where you can skip around. If you want some help with that, just let me know.

I also like to add more pictures to my articles. Oh and the blue font you picked is hard to read on Nostalgia. Also Blues have an actuation of 50g (see here).

But I'm just nit-picking, overall, this is a nice review. Nice job ^__^

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 18:14:53 »
I think you should just focus on the switch/board that you have instead of trying to generalize for all the switches. You do a pretty good job but the focus leaves a little.

Also since the article is long and very informative, people might want to look at this again so I find it helpful if you put like a Table of Contents where you can skip around. If you want some help with that, just let me know.

I also like to add more pictures to my articles. Oh and the blue font you picked is hard to read on Nostalgia. Also Blues have an actuation of 50g (see here).

But I'm just nit-picking, overall, this is a nice review. Nice job ^__^

Yay, a review! I see what you mean by focusing on one key, next time I might just mention the lighting and not much else just in case a Brown user isn't caught off-guard with a white keyboard. As for a table of contents, could you help me with that? I'll definitely edit in the 50g force also, when I get to a computer and not a parent's phone.

My thanks for a generous review of a review. :D

EDIT: Oh, and the blue was just for fun, because it has blue switches. I haven't had a chance to change formats, but I'll make it darker or lighter if it's hard to see.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 August 2013, 18:16:35 by Linkbane »
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 23:42:55 »
Try clicking on "Quote" on the OP in this review. Then scroll down to table of contents to see how it's setup.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 00:11:02 »
Try clicking on "Quote" on the OP in this review. Then scroll down to table of contents to see how it's setup.

Easy as 22/7. Took a few minutes, but it appears to be as simple as anchoring each section and inserting an inner link to the anchor.
How does it look? I'll work on the color on your view, also.

EDIT: While I thought that having color match MX switch color woud be cool, it seems a bit gimmicky so I think that I will default to Teal.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 August 2013, 00:20:11 by Linkbane »

Offline mv_LaiN

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 19:42:56 »
awesome review thanks! ^-^
looking for cheap/used 60% boards! <3

Offline Lawngahnome

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 00:23:47 »
The price is nice. I like seeing quality without jumping will over $100.

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 10:40:10 »
I like the design with the numpad on the right
are there any other boards besides this and the tt meka that are mini but keep the numpad?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 17:15:14 »
Thanks, I may be writing a review on a QF Stealth with MX Green, given my free time.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 17:17:48 »
TFTR

I like the layout.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 18:05:45 »
Did you have any difficulties with the cable connection on the keyboard?

If the connection and cable routing are the same as that on the CM QFS (which I have), I experienced difficulty connecting and disconnecting the cable, especially if I tried to use my own cable rather than the one that was supplied with the keyboard.

On the QFS at least, it would be good if CM would have made the recessed area for the connection somewhat bigger, so that there would be room for the connector plus some room to manipulate the connector in and out of the connection on the keyboard. I was also not that keen on the braided outer covering of the cable, which rendered it very stiff.

Otherwise, it seems that CM is making some very solid and capable keyboards with some interesting options. For example, on some models, they offer Cherry mx green switches. I hope that they might add Cherry mx clear switches on future versions of some of their boards, including the QFR and QFS.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 18:22:10 »

If the connection and cable routing are the same as that on the CM QFS (which I have), I experienced difficulty connecting and disconnecting the cable, especially if I tried to use my own cable rather than the one that was supplied with the keyboard.

On the QFS at least, it would be good if CM would have made the recessed area for the connection somewhat bigger, so that there would be room for the connector plus some room to manipulate the connector in and out of the connection on the keyboard. I was also not that keen on the braided outer covering of the cable, which rendered it very stiff.

Otherwise, it seems that CM is making some very solid and capable keyboards with some interesting options. For example, on some models, they offer Cherry mx green switches. I hope that they might add Cherry mx clear switches on future versions of some of their boards, including the QFR and QFS.

I agree greatly with the idea of having a greater recess. It requires a bit too much wrestling with the keyboard for my taste to be able to plug in the cable, and putting it in a channel sometimes pops out the cable on my Stealth, although the TK didn't have much a problem to me.

Also, I just posted a thread on the Stealth with MX Green! I think that it is a bit doubtful that CM will make Clear colored boards though, given that they're so obscure and raising things from obscurity is difficult. I have heard good things about them, don't get me wrong, but I feel that it would be unprofitable to confuse the lay-gamer or typist not obsessed, like us, with switches, with five (Blue, Red, Brown, Green, and Clear) different types. Thank goodness that they don't include Black, six switches would just make it difficult to find a particular model.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 19:16:27 »

I agree greatly with the idea of having a greater recess. It requires a bit too much wrestling with the keyboard for my taste to be able to plug in the cable, and putting it in a channel sometimes pops out the cable on my Stealth, although the TK didn't have much a problem to me.

Also, I just posted a thread on the Stealth with MX Green! I think that it is a bit doubtful that CM will make Clear colored boards though, given that they're so obscure and raising things from obscurity is difficult. I have heard good things about them, don't get me wrong, but I feel that it would be unprofitable to confuse the lay-gamer or typist not obsessed, like us, with switches, with five (Blue, Red, Brown, Green, and Clear) different types. Thank goodness that they don't include Black, six switches would just make it difficult to find a particular model.

We might want to send an email directly to CM with our suggestions about the cable connection and routing. BTW, I have also posted a review of the CM QFS:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47025.msg997389#msg997389
It will be interesting to compare notes.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 19:23:09 »

We might want to send an email directly to CM with our suggestions about the cable connection and routing. BTW, I have also posted a review of the CM QFS:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47025.msg997389#msg997389
It will be interesting to compare notes.

Kekeke, I did indeed post my other response. Two different viewpoints, one keyboard.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 15:56:51 »
it appears to be as simple as anchoring each section and inserting an inner link to the anchor.

EDIT: While I thought that having color match MX switch color woud be cool, it seems a bit gimmicky so I think that I will default to Teal.

The anchors are working great and the teal is nice. Readability is always important. And teal is a fine color :D Nice job, looking forward to more reviews ^__^

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 02:28:18 »
it appears to be as simple as anchoring each section and inserting an inner link to the anchor.

The anchors are working great and the teal is nice. Readability is always important. And teal is a fine color :D Nice job, looking forward to more reviews ^__^

Yeeeeah.  :cool:

Offline Gunni

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 02:53:48 »
Nice review!

I've got a Quickfire TK (my only mechanical keyboard at the moment) and I love it! I've got the Cherry MX Browns.
CM Storm Quickfire TK w/ Browns HHKB Pro 2

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 23:30:31 »
Nice review!

I've got a Quickfire TK (my only mechanical keyboard at the moment) and I love it! I've got the Cherry MX Browns.

Oh, very cool. Browns are the only particular flavor that I haven't tried (I have linear reds, and tactile blue and green), and I heard that the bump is either great for typing or somewhere in the middle for gaming and typing. Personally I'm actually starting to use my MX Red and finding it very pleasurable to type on. Are the browns good for you? If so, I might consider getting an MX Brown board as my next, and doing a review on it.

Reviews are actually quite addicting. As is typing on the Red board, which is probably why I haven't stopped rambling.

Offline edwardtivrusky

• Rats and Games and Gadgets and things
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 05:22:11 »
High five, Gunni!  :thumb:

I've had my Quickfire TK with Browns for about a week or so now and i'm finally used to the layout. I was torn between the QFR and the TK but decided to go for the TK as it was to be a work keyboard. I wanted a smaller size to help with my posture and figured i needed a keypad more than the nav cluster. At first i was a bit clumsy with it as the keycaps seem to catch my fingers but i'm getting used to it more and more and it's actually encouraging me to do more "touch typing".

The white LEDs and back plate look stunning and clean. The font on the keys won't be to everyone's taste but it's fine for me as it's nice and clear. The slight grip on the keys due to the coating is ... ok, i'm not fully sure about it but i don't loathe it at least. Build quality is great i'd say. It feels sturdy and robust and has a nice weight to it when lifting it.

My next keyboard to play with is going to have Cherry Reds i think as i now have two Cherry Browns and want to see what lightweight linear keys feel like. My colleagues would kill me if i went for a board with Blues!  :rolleyes:
This signature intentionally left blank.