Author Topic: Keycool 84 Review -- White PBT  (Read 7043 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Keycool 84 Review -- White PBT
« on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 19:40:42 »
My new Keycool 84 white keyboard with Cherry blue switches and white PBT keycaps arrived this afternoon. I got a very favorable price from Qtan on GH.  It was amazing tracking the rapid journey of the package through Asia and the US. I am surprised it got here so quickly.

The keyboard looks somewhat better than I had expected given its low price and the fact that it seems not to have garnered as much attention as a serious keyboard on the forums as some other keyboards have. Although I am not all that keen on its "wall of keys" appearance, I think that this might be improved by changing the keycaps, perhaps with a two-tone scheme. However, the stock keycaps are laser-etched PBT that look reasonably good and that have a a pleasant dry velvety feel akin to slightly roughened stone, such as pumice.

The typing feel and sound are good. Key presses are even across the board, and on bottoming out make a satisfying "thock" sound. It appears that the stabilizers are Costar, which makes it somewhat harder to change keycaps on the large keys, but it provides a better keystroke and bottoming-out sound and feel than one tends to get with Cherry or Leopold stabilizers.

The keyboard measures 12.5 inches wide by 5 inches tall. This is is only 1x-key wider and a row taller than a Poker II, which measures about 11.5 inches wide by 4 inches tall. Within its small area, the Keycool 84 includes a normal layout of alpha keys along with dedicated arrow keys, F-keys, and all the remaining keys in the center island navigation cluster of a full-size keyboard. It accommodates all this plus a standard spacebar by reducing the size of the right-side modifiers to 1x each, using a 1.75x right-shift key, and eliminating the separation of the F-keys and navigation island into separate zones as found on standard TKL or full-size keyboards. The layout of the F-key row is a bit strange, as it is aligned with the number-key row, and the height of the F-keys looks too low. However, after using the keyboard for a while, I became somewhat accustomed to the odd look of the F-key row. Again, the appearance of the key layout might be remedied by the judicious use of contrasting colors and adding some space to provide demarcation of functional zones.

Subjectively, the Keycool 84 feels lighter than the smaller Poker II, but the switches are plate mounted and the board feels solid. Objectively, I found that the Keycool 84 weighs 641 grams -- more than the 584 grams of the smaller Poker II. The Keycool sits firmly on the desk with no wobble with or without the rear legs extended. The legs have rubberized tips and so the board does not slip. The keyboard comes with a detachable matching white USB cable that inserts and detaches easily from the recessed connector on the keyboard. Cable routing channels are provided so that that the cable can exit from the center-, left-, or right-rear side of the keyboard.

My typing speed and accuracy on the Keycool 84 are on par with my results using my IBM SSK and CM QF Stealth keyboards.  I have had no trouble at all with the short 1.75x right-shift key, but occasionally I hit the End key instead of the Up-Arrow key. I expect that I might adjust to this minor orienting detail after a bit of practice. However, this kind of typing error highlights the fact that the navigation island and F-row on traditional keyboards are separated spatially and sometimes by color from the main typing area to help orient the typist and prevent accidental striking of F-keys or cursor keys.

I am primarily a Mac user, and the Keycool 84 appears to work well with the Mac, including media controls. The only things that seems not to work with the Mac is the embedded numeric keypad; however, this works just fine under Windows 7 and Linux.

Overall, I am reasonably pleased with the Keycool 84, much more so than I had expected; the keyboard was a pleasant surprise. I would rate it as good, especially considering the relatively low price that is available by ordering via Qtan. To my mind, the keyboard could be improved by removing the top row of F-keys and putting these into the Fn layer. Delete could be Fn+Backspace and Insert could be Fn+I. The keyboard would then be only 1x-key wider than the Poker II and it would have filled in the space above the Right-Arrow key that is empty on the current versions of the Leopold FC660M and FC660C. This trimmed-down Keycool could then be a real winner.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2013, 11:43:01 by rjrich »

Offline PadawanGeek

Re: Keycool White 84 Review
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 21:21:50 »
Ahh, another satisfied Keycool user! :thumb:  I snagged mine because finding a <TKL keyboard in my neck of the woods is rather rare, so  it was a no brainer when I happened upon it. I have the Cherry Black version, my current fave Cherry switch, and I've added it to my permanent collection. It's my daily driver for my 2nd rig, with my 2 Topre switch KBs being used on my main and 3rd rigs. Glad you like it, Keycool keyboards should be given serious consideration when buying a KB because their keyboards are well built and of pretty darn good quality......better than Razer anytime! ;)  (sorry, couldn't help myself! :p )

Offline Hypersphere

Re: Keycool 84 Review -- White PBT
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 17:33:57 »
Yes, typing on the KC84 is surprisingly pleasant. The white PBT keys don't feel like plastic -- they feel more like slightly rough stones, such as pumice. Therefore, I am reluctant to change the feel of the keyboard, but I would like to change the look from the current wall of white keys to something more variegated. I am considering combining doubleshot ABS keys from Dolch and Cherry keyboards to produce a Dolch-like scheme, but I might order a dye-sub thick PBT set instead in order to change the look while preserving some of the surface characteristics of the existing PBT caps.

Offline tohuvabouhou

• FrankerZ
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 16:37:34 »
I got a white 84 about a week ago, still waiting a little bit before I write a review about it though. Personally, I love the layout the way it is and specifically purchased it over a race or similar keyboard because of the f-keys and last row with home, pgup, pgdn, and end. Wouldn't change a thing.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 17:51:08 »
I got a white 84 about a week ago, still waiting a little bit before I write a review about it though. Personally, I love the layout the way it is and specifically purchased it over a race or similar keyboard because of the f-keys and last row with home, pgup, pgdn, and end. Wouldn't change a thing.

Yes, I think for those who want a mini keyboard and make regular use of the F-keys as well as the cursor keys, The KC84 offers a good layout.

The profile of the F-row in the CC84 seems a bit strange, but I am getting accustomed to it. I am still mulling over whether it is worth trying to squeeze all these keys into the rather cramped KC84 format or just to go back to a TKL board, which I think looks nicer because of the geographical demarcation of F-keys and a navigation island, requiring only two more columns of keys in the process.

I did try switching the stock keycaps on the KC84 to a pseudo-Dolch scheme. I used doubleshot ABS alpha keys from a Dolch PAC 64 keyboard and doubleshot ABS modifiers from Cherry keyboards. I had to use some Cherry keys from the numpad for PgUp, PgDn, and End in order to match the row profiles. Unfortunately, the overall result did not look as good as I had hoped, and I prefer the feel of PBT over that of ABS. So, I am going to switch back to the stock keycaps. The pumice-like feel of the PBT is soothing, and the profiles will be correct. The keycap legends are not the best, but the stock setup gets the job done at a very low price for a decent mechanical keyboard.