Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1615197 times)

Offline miscsubbin

Re: GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #350 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 16:41:35 »
Hey I'm pretty new here and I was wondering if something like this would ever show up again (I'm not in the position to be buying a new keyboard now). If not,  what would I need to buy now that I wouldn't be able to in the future? PCB, plate, case (let's hope not)? That way I could buy as little as possible, and then finish it when I have the money.

Thanks, a lot.

Offline cobraj

« Reply #351 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 16:56:40 »
Hey I'm pretty new here and I was wondering if something like this would ever show up again (I'm not in the position to be buying a new keyboard now). If not,  what would I need to buy now that I wouldn't be able to in the future? PCB, plate, case (let's hope not)? That way I could buy as little as possible, and then finish it when I have the money.

Thanks, a lot.

Sounds about right.
But if you are really strapped for cash, you can do without the plate, but then just note that you have to buy PCB-mounted switches then. (Plate-mounted switches will not work without a plate).
Tinlong has an interest check for plastic cases, so they should be a lot cheaper than the aluminium ones. Not nearly as nice, but cheaper :P

Offline elton5354

GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #352 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 18:24:20 »
Can someone tell me the size of the LED required to fit in a cherry switch LED hole? Thanks.

Offline gnubag

« Reply #353 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 18:30:44 »
Can someone tell me the size of the LED required to fit in a cherry switch LED hole? Thanks.
t1 aka 3mm
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 March 2013, 20:43:52 by gnubag »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #354 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 18:59:08 »
That's T1

Offline gnubag

« Reply #355 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 20:43:40 »

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #356 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 21:05:19 »
I would like to add LEDs to my keys but I have mine being pre-built. Is this possible?

Offline LifeZ

• LifeZone
« Reply #357 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 22:02:38 »
GH60 GREAT!
ALL LAY-OUT Compatible
....GOOD

I drawing to GH60 mix layout..

LZ Limited

Offline Lugoues

« Reply #358 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 00:20:34 »
UPDATE:
 Also Samwisekoi requested his layout changed, so it now has a split L-shift (1.25x + 1x). The OP will now reflect these changes, and the order form will now have that additional dedicated HHKB plate.
Noooooo  :-[
Hmmm... now what do I pick

Offline ItsBc

• BARACOOT
    • Portfolio
« Reply #359 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 03:43:08 »

Thank you very much!

Also, FYI to all, I am going to open up a Klaxon/GH60++/RGBY Mods group buy to support all of the GH60 configurations.
(Attachment Link)

- Ron | samwisekoi

awesome  :-*

Offline BimboBB

« Reply #360 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 05:52:28 »
UPDATE:

There has been a few requests for a dedicated HHKB plate, so I just added one for ANSI. It has split backspace and R-shift. Also Samwisekoi requested his layout changed, so it now has a split L-shift (1.25x + 1x). The OP will now reflect these changes, and the order form will now have that additional dedicated HHKB plate.

HHKB ANSI...............................................................................Samwisekoi
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

@WFD

can you make this "dedicated HHKB-plate" for ISO as well? (i mean including a split backspace)

Offline blueasjim

« Reply #361 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:08:40 »
If there's an assembly service, will this include soldering? I'm very interested in this but no skill in soldering.  :eek:
Thanks
Vortex KBT PURE [MX Red] | CM Storm [MX Blue] | CM Storm [MX Red]

Offline Sai

« Reply #362 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:18:51 »
If there's an assembly service, will this include soldering? I'm very interested in this but no skill in soldering.  :eek:
Thanks

yes. it will include
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #363 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:19:07 »
Thanks

Yes, assembly service gets you an assembled GH60, no soldering required.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline blueasjim

« Reply #364 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:22:06 »
Thanks

Yes, assembly service gets you an assembled GH60, no soldering required.

Whoa. I'm not seeing a down side to this at all!
I will place order once we get home. Thx for swift replies jd & Sai
Vortex KBT PURE [MX Red] | CM Storm [MX Blue] | CM Storm [MX Red]

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #365 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:29:21 »
I would like to add LEDs to my keys but I have mine being pre-built. Is this possible?

No.  It does not support LEDs

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #366 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:33:40 »

The GH60 does not support full backlighting. This was done by design, as backlighting was not one of the objectives of the project.

As of Rev. A of the PCB, the only LED supported is Caps Lock. In the final revision, there may be the option to add LEDs to the WASD cluster and Esc, but nothing has been finalized, yet.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #367 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:55:31 »

The GH60 does not support full backlighting. This was done by design, as backlighting was not one of the objectives of the project.

As of Rev. A of the PCB, the only LED supported is Caps Lock. In the final revision, there may be the option to add LEDs to the WASD cluster and Esc, but nothing has been finalized, yet.

Beat me to it :D

Offline edrago

« Reply #368 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:24:53 »
If anyone can help me and give some directions I would be grateful.
It's possible to make something similar to the Zelia Neo 87? Image References

I know that I should get only a PCB, without plate. How hard would be to find a case for it?

Thanks in advance

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #369 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:31:15 »
If anyone can help me and give some directions I would be grateful.
It's possible to make something similar to the Zelia Neo 87? Image References

I know that I should get only a PCB, without plate. How hard would be to find a case for it?

Thanks in advance

Not really, that's a significantly larger keyboard than the GH60, being a tenkeyless.

Offline edrago

« Reply #370 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:39:02 »
Not really, that's a significantly larger keyboard than the GH60, being a tenkeyless.

I don't mean the layout as is, I have no problem with something like Poker (I have a Choc Mini ATM). I just wanted to know if was possible that "flat"design or how I could achieve it, I don't know how to describe it.

Thks for the reply.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #371 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:42:52 »

I don't mean the layout as is, I have no problem with something like Poker (I have a Choc Mini ATM). I just wanted to know if was possible that "flat"design or how I could achieve it, I don't know how to describe it.

Thks for the reply.

If you want something "flat" like that, your best bet is to try and find a Vortex CNC Pure case. It is a low profile design, similar to the one in those pictures, although not quite as low. The GH60 PCB will fit perfectly in the Pure CNC case.

You would order the GH60 PCB, switches, and stabilizers, and then try to find one of those Pure CNC cases.

This picture from Mashby shows the profile of the Pure CNC case quite well:

Side-by-Side with Keyboard by Michael Ashby, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:50:10 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #372 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 10:41:33 »
Neo style case would be kind of cool, it's just a block of plastic with an angle to it more or less, then all that would be needed asides from cutting a block of some material at an angle would be a notch for the usb connector and some holes drilled and tapped to secure the pcb to it.

Offline CTollemache

« Reply #373 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 10:48:27 »
Just went in for a GH60, poker plate, and some plate mounted stabs. I think I joined geekhack at just the right time! It's like the ultimate keyboard. Now to sit on the classifieds for a poker...

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #374 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 10:52:23 »

Thks for the reply.

If you want something "flat" like that, your best bet is to try and find a Vortex CNC Pure case. It is a low profile design, similar to the one in those pictures, although not quite as low. The GH60 PCB will fit perfectly in the Pure CNC case.

You would order the GH60 PCB, switches, and stabilizers, and then try to find one of those Pure CNC cases.

This picture from Mashby shows the profile of the Pure CNC case quite well:
Show Image

Side-by-Side with Keyboard by Michael Ashby, on Flickr
It's crazy to me that he takes all of his photos with an iPotato 4.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #375 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 10:59:40 »
It's crazy to me that he takes all of his photos with an iPotato 4.

Right?? It shocks me every single time. I even asked him about it pointblank and he said nope, I'm on Team Potato.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #376 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:31:27 »
I have updated the GH60 'samwisekoi' mockup to match the change WFD made to the plate.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41464.msg829197#msg829197

Thanks WFD et al!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #377 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 12:00:22 »
jsut bumbled my way through my order, lets hope i didnt muck that up
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #378 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 12:10:12 »
gonna post my order tonight so hopefully someone can check it out for me

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #379 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 15:21:34 »
I'm assuming that that SMD soldering isn't exactly the easiest thing is it?  Since I'm working on a small budget, I'm trying to see if I could do it on my own to cut cost.  The PCB, plate, and stabilizers is already pushing it a little for me.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #380 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 15:27:33 »
I'm assuming that that SMD soldering isn't exactly the easiest thing is it?  Since I'm working on a small budget, I'm trying to see if I could do it on my own to cut cost.  The PCB, plate, and stabilizers is already pushing it a little for me.

Actually, it's really, extremely difficult. Especially the crystal. You don't want to try and save $15 that way.

in memoriam

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #381 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 15:33:39 »
I think the time saved alone makes it worth the extra $15. I am thinking about getting an extra kit in the DIY flavor just as a challenge. Sort of like building a model airplane. But I am also getting one or two assembled so that I know they will work. But yeah, go look at the instructions on doing the SMD work earlier in the thread. No way is it worth trying to save $15 over

Edit: See the 3rd post here for instructions.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2013, 15:35:40 by whiskytango »
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #382 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 15:34:59 »
Actually, it's really, extremely difficult. Especially the crystal. You don't want to try and save $15 that way.

Alright, thanks.  The video made it look doable, but I was hesitant.  There's a hackerspace near me with an SMD station, so I figured it might be possible for me to do it, but if it's that tough, it definitely would make more sense to spend the $15 and get it done for me than to cheap out and hope I don't screw up.

Looks like I'll need to scrounge up a little more cash or sell off my Das to get this.

I think the time saved alone makes it worth the extra $15. I am thinking about getting an extra kit in the DIY flavor just as a challenge. Sort of like building a model airplane. But I am also getting one or two assembled so that I know they will work. But yeah, go look at the instructions on doing the SMD work earlier in the thread. No way is it worth trying to save $15 over

Part of the fun to me is putting the work into it.  The time saved doesn't really factor in since it's a fun, stress relieving project.  My back may hurt from it, but there's a satisfaction of doing it myself.  If I could save $15 while also having fun with it, it's worth it.  If, on the other hand, it will be nearly impossible to do and cause me frustration, I'll get it done for me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2013, 15:37:10 by nubbinator »

Offline nebo

« Reply #383 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 15:42:27 »
Who is doing the assembly services? If I were to sell my phantom I'd want to keep my switches I ordered.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #384 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 15:45:40 »
Who is doing the assembly services? If I were to sell my phantom I'd want to keep my switches I ordered.

WFD and I are assembling US orders, komar is doing int'l. Unless you contact someone else to do it, that is.

in memoriam

Offline nebo

« Reply #385 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 15:46:54 »

WFD and I are assembling US orders, komar is doing int'l. Unless you contact someone else to do it, that is.
Alright, looks like I might need to somehow get a hold of TP which is super easy these days....

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #386 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 15:59:55 »

Alright, looks like I might need to somehow get a hold of TP which is super easy these days....

SmallFry is your best hope there.

in memoriam

Offline bvtton

• bvtton
« Reply #387 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 17:13:19 »
ordered!  :) will we be receiving an email confirmation or something? (successfully submitted the form, but just want to make sure the order went though)

Offline tradet

« Reply #388 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 17:34:18 »
Oh my goodness. I discovered the open group buy with 13 pages already!

This should be a valid order I hope? 2 switches for a space and 64 other keys for the GH60 max keys layout (hope I counted correctly). I don't want to solder the SMD parts, but I think it'd be fun to solder the switches and stuff.

Code: [Select]
-1x GH60 PCB SMD presoldered
-1x GH60 (max keys) plate
-1x cherry (plate-mounted) stabilizer set, 6.25x spacebar wire
-4x MX gray switches (2 for a space?)
-68x MX clear switches (counted 64 keys, 4 extra)

Also when flashing the microcontroller, will a mini-B USB cable suffice?

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #389 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 20:15:33 »
Are the plates the phantom style? I'm interested in getting clears in this, but I'm not sure if I'd want ergo clears or not... I'll probably get this anyways just because its 60% w/ backplate and I don't have to mod the clears in.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #390 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 20:18:01 »
jd, looking back at your poker sale post, you said you had i believe said 'red, green and magenta' as led options for colors. and i know someone said wasd, esc, caps lock and some other keys (winkeys) might become available as an option...should i be putting down those colors in the comments section?

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #391 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 20:28:45 »
I'm so torn between layouts and can't decide which plate to order!  I would love an HHKB layout, but that really limits the compatible keysets.  I think I'm gonna have to go with the ANSI 1.5. Ugh, decisions, decisions!

Offline yearn4

• formerly known as 4en
« Reply #392 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 20:32:09 »
are these going to use micro or mini usb?

Offline gnubag

« Reply #393 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 21:27:09 »
    In addition to the PCB, you will need the following to complete the build:
    • Switches
    • Stabilizers
    • Case
    • Keycaps
    • Plate (optional)
    • mini-B USB cable.
    [/list]   

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
    « Reply #394 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 00:07:03 »
    Never-mind about the first question, this one is much more important, how would one program this keyboard? =This one decides DEFINITELY if I get it or not, because I don't want to take it apart and I don't know any programming=
    | KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
    Dvorak Only Zone

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
    « Reply #395 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 01:16:13 »
    Would be able to see the spread sheet being populated? It would be nice to see what we have ordered so we can verify we're getting what we want.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
    « Reply #396 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 01:28:02 »
    Mini update: some stats after 6 days

185 PCBs ordered
    169 plates ordered

When I have time, I'll make a separate form to post your orders. I think I caught up with all PMs, but if I missed yours then send another one.

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #397 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 03:30:51 »
    Never-mind about the first question, this one is much more important, how would one program this keyboard? =This one decides DEFINITELY if I get it or not, because I don't want to take it apart and I don't know any programming=

Read reply #2 on the first page!

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
    • * Maker
    « Reply #398 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 05:10:33 »
    ordered!  :) will we be receiving an email confirmation or something? (successfully submitted the form, but just want to make sure the order went though)
    You wont get an email confirmation, but as long as the form said order submitted they got it :D You'll get the invoice whenever they are sent out.
    unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #399 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 05:20:12 »
    Right I don't understand why the plates and names shown in post 2 don't match to the names on the order form.

I want an exact cherry replica of a HHKB, so am I ordering the ' true" HHKB plate'?

Cheers