Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1620732 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #550 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 12:32:24 »
I'll be placing my order after the Chicago meet. I want to verify my switch selection there.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #551 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 12:34:57 »
The only thing stops me is the lack of more affordable cases.

tinlong has an ic thread about $20-$30 original poker cases..
thought he already said that the GB wont be happening?

My bad I thought it was still going. I might have one for sale if anyone is interested

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #552 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 13:10:20 »
I would like to be able to use either cherry or costar spacebars/capslocks without modding the board or keycaps
Does one of these layouts meet that requirements with ansi layouts?

Is that even possible?

edit: basically I would like to be able to have standard layout like a filco layout but be able to use either spacebars/capslocks
I have ordered http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41017.0 and http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41439.0 and want to make sure they will fit with my FPS Counter-Strick V3.0 Kit from feng http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35967.0
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 April 2013, 15:01:41 by domoaligato »

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #553 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 13:13:14 »
should i go hhkb layout? or winkeyless? hmm..

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #554 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 13:31:38 »
How long until they're shipping?

Don't expect an answer anytime soon

« Last Edit: Mon, 01 April 2013, 15:23:02 by keymaster »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #555 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 15:14:17 »
How long until they're shipping?

The real answer is that we just don't know for sure. There are too many variables. I have said that I hope we can get these shipped out to people by the end of the summer, but I may be too optomistic.

Don't expect an answer anytime soon

Thanks for your helpful comment!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #556 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 15:18:44 »

Not to be an ass or anything, but this is the third post on this page were you just state that you don't know what to get. If you really don't know what to get and need advice or have some questions, then there really is a lot of advice/info to get around the forum or you could create a thread?
I really hope you don't take this as a negative comment.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #557 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 15:23:14 »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline keymaster

« Reply #559 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 15:27:38 »

If only someone had replied to me :)

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41464.msg830674#msg830674

Reply here, just below your post: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41464.msg830695#msg830695

I didn't think he was working on the project. Some clarification would be nice, especially in the original post.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #560 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 20:09:48 »

Not to be an ass or anything, but this is the third post on this page were you just state that you don't know what to get. If you really don't know what to get and need advice or have some questions, then there really is a lot of advice/info to get around the forum or you could create a thread?

dat negative comment

just kidding. sorry i am posting so much. i am confused and excited at the same time. will stop posting in this thread  :/

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #561 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 20:22:20 »

If only someone had replied to me :)

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41464.msg830674#msg830674

Reply here, just below your post: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41464.msg830695#msg830695

I didn't think he was working on the project. Some clarification would be nice, especially in the original post.

*Seriously?*  You didn't think komar was working on the project?  You know, the guy who's screenname is the 9th word in the OP. How much more clear can it be?

dat negative comment

just kidding. sorry i am posting so much. i am confused and excited at the same time. will stop posting in this thread  :/

To be fair, I don't see why he thinks that comments about this keyboard shouldn't be in this thread, but to each his own.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #562 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 20:23:23 »
thanks tj

i thought i was in the right place  :D

Offline keymaster

« Reply #563 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 20:29:43 »

*Seriously?*  You didn't think komar was working on the project?  You know, the guy who's screenname is the 9th word in the OP. How much more clear can it be?

The release date should be more clear, as in written in the original post. Is that too much to ask? I won't be the first or last to stumble upon this thread to find this information.

Offline T0ken

« Reply #564 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 20:33:20 »
Hello, another former lurker here...

For me too, the casing is my only concern. Can anyone comment on the practicality of going case-less? It appears that on the bottom side of the PCB is the microcontroller, SMD components, and through hole pins...it doesn't seem like a stable typing surface to me...

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #565 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 20:34:19 »

The release date should be more clear, as in written in the original post. Is that too much to ask? I won't be the first or last to stumble upon this thread to find this information.

Did it ever occur to you that, "Gee, I guess they don't know exactly how long it will take to manufacture an unknown number of custom PCBs?"

Why put up something that isn't set in stone?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #566 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 20:36:13 »
Especially being that orders aren't even done yet.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #567 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 20:38:28 »

For me too, the casing is my only concern. Can anyone comment on the practicality of going case-less? It appears that on the bottom side of the PCB is the microcontroller, SMD components, and through hole pins...it doesn't seem like a stable typing surface to me...

There really isn't any practicality in it.  You should at least have some kind of plate with standoffs for the pcb to sit on.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #568 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 20:39:17 »
WFD, I was wondering if you could add your lovely post about stabilizers to the OP to help those who are new to DIY boards. Thanks in advance :D

Offline keymaster

« Reply #569 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 20:40:54 »

Did it ever occur to you that, "Gee, I guess they don't know exactly how long it will take to manufacture an unknown number of custom PCBs?"

Because one would be spending hundreds of dollars? I just asked a simple question. A simple answer in the original post such as this would have been sufficient: "No release date atm" or "Release date is at least 6 months away".

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #570 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 20:46:46 »

Because one would be spending hundreds of dollars? I just asked a simple question. A simple answer in the original post such as this would have been sufficient: "No release date atm" or "Release date is at least 6 months away".

How was komar's simple answer right after your question not good enough, then? Or does it not count because it wasn't in the OP?

And really, why should the OP be manipulated to your tastes considering you stopped reading after 8 words to not know that komar was a part of the group designing it? 
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 April 2013, 20:49:40 by tjcaustin »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #571 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 20:49:52 »

I'll add it to the OP. I didn't put it before because there are too many variables like jdcarpe said. The larger the GB, the longer lead time and more chance for delays. Coordination for several parts combined into one GB requires communication and collaboration. Things that we are NOT in control of that could delay things are order cancellations/changes, waiting for late payment, or manufacturer delays. There are several manufactures and sources required to get all the parts, so that adds even more variables. At the time I wrote the OP, there is no way I can predict these things, and they're also dependent on how many orders received at the end. Since payment deadline is mid May, my own estimate is mid June - late September for the ETA of all parts.

If you've participated in many GBs, you'll notice that many of them have unforseen delays that are out of the organizers' control. Comparing it to the Phantom GB that is about the same magnitude and has similar parts, it took about a year to complete. 3-6 months from the open of the GB until you get  your package is reasonable, assuming there won't be any major problems.

Probably not the best idea, although it would work if you put it on something non-conductive. Make your own cardboard case, but that'll just be a more fragile solution to any dedicated 60% case.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 April 2013, 21:02:12 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline T0ken

« Reply #572 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 21:17:48 »
Thanks for the replies guys. As tjcaustin mentioned, I think a standoff separating the PCB from some kind of flat plate seems like a good idea, if no dedicated case.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #573 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 21:19:38 »
I guess you could always stick some rubber feet to the bottom of the PCB, or use anti-static mat to place it on. If you do that, I better see you typing on it with no keycaps, though. You go Korean kung-fu, you go all the way. :D

in memoriam

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #574 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 21:21:55 »
I guess you could always stick some rubber feet to the bottom of the PCB, or use anti-static mat to place it on. If you do that, I better see you typing on it with no keycaps, though. You go Korean kung-fu, you go all the way. :D

Who needs switches?  Just put some metal on your finger tips and type on the PCB.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #575 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 21:23:38 »

I'll add it to the OP. I didn't put it before because there are too many variables like jdcarpe said. The larger the GB, the longer lead time and more chance for delays. Coordination for several parts combined into one GB requires communication and collaboration. Things that we are NOT in control of that could delay things are order cancellations/changes, waiting for late payment, or manufacturer delays. There are several manufactures and sources required to get all the parts, so that adds even more variables. At the time I wrote the OP, there is no way I can predict these things, and they're also dependent on how many orders received at the end. Since payment deadline is mid May, my own estimate is mid June - late September for the ETA of all parts.

If you've participated in many GBs, you'll notice that many of them have unforseen delays that are out of the organizers' control. Comparing it to the Phantom GB that is about the same magnitude and has similar parts, it took about a year to complete. 3-6 months from the open of the GB until you get  your package is reasonable, assuming there won't be any major problems.

Thanks for the reply, WFD. You've answered all my questions. This clarifies a lot of things and would definitely be informative if added to the OP. Many users on here may not have participated in a GB like this before. It allows us to know what to expect, instead of just blindly going into it.

How was komar's simple answer right after your question not good enough, then? Or does it not count because it wasn't in the OP?

And really, why should the OP be manipulated to your tastes considering you stopped reading after 8 words to not know that komar was a part of the group designing it? 

I'm not sure what your problem is but just relax. If you don't want to help in answering a question, you don't have to.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #576 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 21:24:25 »

Who needs switches?  Just put some metal on your finger tips and type on the PCB.

Who needs PCBs, just wire a controller into your brain.

Offline agor

« Reply #577 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 04:22:42 »
Could you tell me if my order fine as it is? And can you send it to me via pm please, need to review :-)
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #578 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 05:38:18 »
Could someone please provide me with the outer measurements of the PCB as well as the plate.
Thanks.

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #579 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 06:44:04 »
Could someone please provide me with the outer measurements of the PCB as well as the plate.
Thanks.

+1 if possible :)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #580 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 09:56:29 »
Is this "Wedge" case design interesting to anyone?  (Non-flat is hard in laser-cut plastic, but this could be done.)

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #581 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 10:22:08 »
I like the flat one with the "foot-bar" better;

Offline thoere

« Reply #582 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 11:09:33 »
I just need a general time period to expect when these will ship. Days? Weeks? Months? I really want one but I'm not sure if I should buy one now because I have no other mechanical keyboard to use while waiting for the gh60... just sold my Blackwidow.

Offline Kabuks

« Reply #583 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 11:13:53 »
I just need a general time period to expect when these will ship. Days? Weeks? Months? I really want one but I'm not sure if I should buy one now because I have no other mechanical keyboard to use while waiting for the gh60... just sold my Blackwidow.

It has already been posted that it will be around September at the earliest.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #584 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 11:15:35 »

I think your question was answered on this very page.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #585 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 11:44:45 »

Same here.  Looks more sanitary/clean.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #586 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 11:52:48 »

Same here.  Looks more sanitary/clean.
+1 I may just have to go the full samwisekoi on this keyboard lol.

Offline gnubag

« Reply #587 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 12:11:56 »
i would rather have a acrylic wedge on the bottom to make a flat base (like the 356mini) because it looks imho much cleaner.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #588 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 12:34:18 »
I am going with a lego case
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40251

when I actually receive the gh60 I may glue the lego's together and integrate standoffs to screw the board down.
 ;D

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #589 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 13:01:23 »
i would rather have a acrylic wedge on the bottom to make a flat base (like the 356mini) because it looks imho much cleaner.

Yes.  How to make those from laser-cut Acrylic, POM or aluminum is the question.

Thanks for everyone's input.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #590 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 13:14:04 »
I am going with a lego case
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40251

when I actually receive the gh60 I may glue the lego's together and integrate standoffs to screw the board down.
 ;D

Oh my, I think I'll have to make a Lego case as well.

Offline gnubag

« Reply #591 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 13:24:40 »

Yes.  How to make those from laser-cut Acrylic, POM or aluminum is the question.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

i don't think that there is a legit way to do that (you could always mcgyver stuff ofc)
so milling would be the one option but you would lose the other half of the block....

or cheaper method would be a wood wedge which could be milled for cheaper (i think)
so as long as there are 2 holes for mounting a bar in the back these could also be used for a "custom" wood wedge.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 April 2013, 22:02:26 by gnubag »

Offline numerus

• Happy go lucky
« Reply #592 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 14:09:50 »
I order it too.
but still confusing about the choise of Case :rolleyes:
will really like one in Carbonfiber or black mat lack.
KBC Poker II | HPE 87% | FILCO Majestouch 2 | Cherry G81-3000 | Marquardt MK | CM NovaTouch TKL | POK3R 

Offline Dsan

« Reply #593 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 14:36:13 »
The wait time seems really reasonable to me,don't forget that you'll also get switches,stabilizers,a plate and a pcb.I'll be placing my order really soon,too :)
Is it possible to order different type of switches?For example 63 blues,1 red,1 brown,1 clear and so on?Thank you!

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #594 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 15:14:03 »

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

I would definietly consider this over WFD60 if it looked like the 356mini.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline T0ken

« Reply #595 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 21:02:42 »
Is this "Wedge" case design interesting to anyone?  (Non-flat is hard in laser-cut plastic, but this could be done.)

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

It looks good to me... I'm interested. My options for cases right are cardboard or lego so I'm very interested in any alternatives.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #596 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 21:15:13 »
Fiberglass/carbon fiber and resin?  Clay?  Great Stuff?  ^_^
Russ

Offline hoasican2004

« Reply #597 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 02:59:51 »
Help me, I need detail of plate (POKER keyboard) , who can send  for me file ( CAD, Adobe illustrator, PDF…. )??? I’m thanks so so so much >”<

Offline eon

« Reply #598 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 05:24:22 »
One question about the HHKB ANSI plate:
- is it possible to setup the bottom row like that: 1.5 - 1 - 1.5 - 7 - 1.5 - 1 - 1.5 ?
Poker MX Red - Photos

Offline realex

« Reply #599 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 05:51:11 »
i have access to high quality cnc milling machines as i am working in metal industry, but as this isn't usually what i do (i am more from the electrical department) i am not that experienced with cad or whatever is used to create the feed for those machines. maybe someone with a little more insight can hook me up with a technical drawing or/and more info while i try and figure out in what quantities i could get some cases done.

i probably could also have the cases anodized there afterwards.